Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't there a video floating around of someone smashing the ceramics on a spark plug and using that to shatter a side window? I forget the specifics of the technique but apparently the impossibly sharp edges that are produced make safety glass just fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Isn't there a video floating around of someone smashing the ceramics on a spark plug and using that to shatter a side window? I forget the specifics of the technique but apparently the impossibly sharp edges that are produced make safety glass just fall apart.

Yup. Tempered glass is a funny thing.

Spark plug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlmKHbPFhU

hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbOF11mQTjs

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
they're called ninja stars and apparently they're illegal in california (lol)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was able to kick the rear side window out of a Passat wagon while simultaneously drunk, hypothermic and pretty badly concussed. Just gotta hit it right.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

yeah years ago I heard that certain shady motorcyclists/bikers would carry pocketfuls of these things to get back at lovely drivers.

seems fair to me.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've shattered the driver's window in the 244 by just shutting the door too hard while the window was off-track. I've also hurled old brake rotors at windows like a discus thrower and watched them just bounce right off, multiple times. Windows are loving strange.

Fire-chat: I always try to carry an extinguisher with me ever since my friend's 1976 Celica fastback tried to burn itself down the first time I drove it, a few days after he bought the car. The PO had done some ghetto rear end fuel pump wiring with a toggle switch in the cabin as a sort of theft-deterrent. Except he had used too small a gauge of wire, and while he had remembered to put a fuse in the circuit, he had installed it on the ground side :fuckoff: Cue the wiring melting all of it's insulation off mid-drive, setting the carpet between the front seats on fire. That was loving exciting.

Thankfully it went out easily and the only real damage was some carpet, but man, I would have loving cried if that car had burnt to the ground. (it was stolen 4 months later anyway :( )

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

while he had remembered to put a fuse in the circuit, he had installed it on the ground side :fuckoff:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this doesn't really change anything. There are probably standards and best practices and stuff, but a fuse doesn't care which wire it's on.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Slanderer posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this doesn't really change anything. There are probably standards and best practices and stuff, but a fuse doesn't care which wire it's on.

It does if there's another path to ground that doesn't include the fuse, which is what sounds like happened. In an ideal circuit with only one possible path it shouldn't matter, but you want your shut off valve on the supply side even though it should still work on the discharge side.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

drzrma posted:

It does if there's another path to ground that doesn't include the fuse, which is what sounds like happened. In an ideal circuit with only one possible path it shouldn't matter.

If there was another path to ground then the switch shouldn't have worked at all :confused:

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Slanderer posted:

If there was another path to ground then the switch shouldn't have worked at all :confused:

The switch was likely in the correct place, on the positive side. Insulation melts before the fuse, shorts to chassis avoiding the fuse. Switched supply is still providing power, now directly to the chassis/negative side.

Edit: Hopefully the fuse is before the actual short, but undersize wires are lovely no matter what. Still better to have the fuse on the positive side assuming negative ground.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 12, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

drzrma posted:

The switch was likely in the correct place, on the positive side. Insulation melts before the fuse, shorts to chassis avoiding the fuse. Switched supply is still providing power, now directly to the chassis/negative side.

If the insulation is melting off your wires, then it still matter where your fuse is, since you'd potentially have uninsulated wire on both sides of the fuse.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, in this case the fuse wouldn't have helped at all, it was just one of the "oh, what the gently caress" things we found while post-incident inspecting the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slanderer posted:

If the insulation is melting off your wires, then it still matter where your fuse is, since you'd potentially have uninsulated wire on both sides of the fuse.

True, but the closer the fuse is to the +12V source, the less likely there is to be a short-to-ground on that side of it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

True, but the closer the fuse is to the +12V source, the less likely there is to be a short-to-ground on that side of it.

Oh most definitely, it just seemed like the fuse was a total red herring in this instance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The doors still work :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I try not to talk bad about unibody. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That rollbar they weld into the middle of the unibody sure doesn't hurt.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Sounds like a hell of a mechanical success to me. Engineering at work.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So this has to be the most Volkswagen-y situation ever.

On my way home from work today, the map lights on my Passat started randomly flickering. The switches also got really wonky; hitting the left light button caused the right light to turn on, and hitting the right button caused both to turn off.

See that little screw on the left? It's located directly above the electrical contact for the left light, so if it works itself a little loose (no idea why that happened), it shorts the whole loving thing out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

A fire extinguisher is just gonna bounce off unless you hit it REALLY hard. The canisters are made from ~16ga aluminum. I've had a 1/2" ratchet bounce off an auto side window when I was trying to break it.

I tossed a minimag in through the open driver's window...it bounced and broke the passenger window.

Edit: Woah, that porcelain thing...what the gently caress?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 12, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The porcelain thing works because safety glass has incredible surface tension built into it by the annealing/treating process. It holds up amazingly until you scratch the surface, creating a stress riser and blam, the glass shatters. The porcelain is harder than the glass and very sharp so it scratches/pierces the surface easily. This is how a rescue hammer works too, they are carbide tipped.

The other way is to hit the glass on the edge. Safety glass edges are vulnerable.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

I found a corolla like this at the yard this weekend. Front and back end just completely pulverized, engine trapped against the windshield in this bundle of twisted metal.

Inside the cabin was totally normal. The only indication that something had happened was the blown airbags everywhere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

holy gently caress

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They lived. Tm subaru.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That rollbar they weld into the middle of the unibody sure doesn't hurt.

That's neat. Does everyone do this, or just Subaru?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

xzzy posted:

Breaking tempered glass is super easy with anything pointy, you just have to remember that glass is strongest at the center. Find something with a point, press it against the window, and smack it with the palm of the opposite hand.

Before modern cars came with cool antennas, you used to be able to lay the antenna lengthwise along the glass, so the little ball on top was in the corner of the window. Pick the end of the antenna up, bend it like a bow, and let go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Augmented Dickey posted:

That's neat. Does everyone do this, or just Subaru?

Just Subaru, as far as I know (though almost everyone seems to be going to high-boron steel for at least part of their unibodies, which should offer similar side-impact protection). They offer special guidance and training for firefighters to teach them how to cut through the frame with the jaws of life, but early on they didn't do that, leading to firefighters having to figure it out the hard way:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

The porcelain is harder than the glass and very sharp so it scratches/pierces the surface easily.

the reason for this is that it's not porcelain, it's alumina (aka aluminum oxide, corundum, sapphires, etc.) :eng101:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just Subaru, as far as I know (though almost everyone seems to be going to high-boron steel for at least part of their unibodies, which should offer similar side-impact protection). They offer special guidance and training for firefighters to teach them how to cut through the frame with the jaws of life, but early on they didn't do that, leading to firefighters having to figure it out the hard way:

Yeah this makes a ton of sense why my B pillar didn't move but my C pillar section got what the gently caress owned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sounds like a hell of a mechanical success to me. Engineering at work.

Back seat passengers? gently caress 'em

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Back seat passengers? gently caress 'em

Once the kids get squashed, take that auto insurance payment right to the dealer and get a nice two-seater sports car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

inkmoth posted:

Once the kids get squashed, take that auto insurance payment right to the dealer and get a nice two-seater sports car.
Hey, haven't you been reading the 818 thread? Just buy back the wreckage, hose it out, and get cracking.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Installation is the reverse of removal:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Random T-A that caught on fire next door last night

Never seen a set of digital calipers fail so that they display exactly half the actual value. The first picture is a .050" block and the second one is a 4" block.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rscott posted:

Random T-A that caught on fire next door last night

Never seen a set of digital calipers fail so that they display exactly half the actual value. The first picture is a .050" block and the second one is a 4" block.

poor trans am :(

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Crossposting from the GBS OSHA thread:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think it's safe to say that's a total loss.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

What the gently caress were they expecting?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Certainly not the truck equivalent of sucking your own dick. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Why would it fold like that anyways? I know they were expecting it flip end over end, but is the frame really that weak?