Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Cardiovorax posted:

Funny, I'd have expected it to feel differently. Know how when you hold your breath you get that burning feeling after a while? That's because your lungs measure the CO2 content of the air they contain to know when you need to breathe, they can't actually tell how much oxygen is left in it. It's why you can breathe out and then hold your breath a little bit longer than before and why breathing something else, like nitrogen, doesn't make you feel like you're asphyxiating. I would've thought it'd be more like that.

Yeah, it is my understanding that being overcome by CO2 is excruciating because it triggers a powerful primitive panic response in the core of the brain, whereas pretty much any other kind of inert gas asphyxiation makes you fade out. The CO2 panic response is one of the reasons why inhaling carbogen gas is supposed to be a profoundly powerful experience. Carbogen has easily more than enough oxygen than you need, but it has so much CO2 in it that your brain and body completely flip out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Funny, I'd have expected it to feel differently. Know how when you hold your breath you get that burning feeling after a while? That's because your lungs measure the CO2 content of the air they contain to know when you need to breathe, they can't actually tell how much oxygen is left in it. It's why you can breathe out and then hold your breath a little bit longer than before and why breathing something else, like nitrogen, doesn't make you feel like you're asphyxiating. I would've thought it'd be more like that.

Your lungs don't actually do that, your chemoreceptors for CO2 are in the brainstem. The lungs themselves are just an interface for external respiration (gas exchange with the outside world).

Some people with some types of bad lung disease which results in their being unable to maintain normal CO2 via increased ventilatory drive just because mechanically their lungs are made of poo poo and garbage are thought to regulate their breathing via 'hypoxic drive' instead, using peripheral oxygen chemoreceptors found in the aortic and carotid body. They'd essentially learn to ignore CO2 and instead of getting that crazy panic feeling just get something called CO2 narcosis where they basically pass out and die unless we increase their ventilation via horrible machines.

e: sorry for the :science:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FrozenVent posted:

People still use HALON? I thought everyone had moved on to CO2 or that fancy poo poo by now. You do not want to be in the room when the CO2 system goes off. You will die.

Page 5 of this thing.

Oops.

Reading page 5, go to the end, saw this:

quote:

Lessons Learned
The fatalities were caused by exposure to lethal concentrations of CO2 that was discharged in a
confined space.

WELL GEE THANKS!

and then scrolled to the next page

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VelociBacon posted:

Your lungs don't actually do that, your chemoreceptors for CO2 are in the brainstem. The lungs themselves are just an interface for external respiration (gas exchange with the outside world).

Some people with some types of bad lung disease which results in their being unable to maintain normal CO2 via increased ventilatory drive just because mechanically their lungs are made of poo poo and garbage are thought to regulate their breathing via 'hypoxic drive' instead, using peripheral oxygen chemoreceptors found in the aortic and carotid body. They'd essentially learn to ignore CO2 and instead of getting that crazy panic feeling just get something called CO2 narcosis where they basically pass out and die unless we increase their ventilation via horrible machines.

:science: is cool, no need to apologize. I really should have remembered that, I know it was part of one of my biochem classes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

spog posted:

I couldn't do it.

No matter how much you gave me, I'd be unable to function at that height.

gently caress, I closed the tab after two seconds. Nope.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr. Despair posted:

Not at all. Average O2 in the air is ~21%, 17% is where you start to notice effects, 16% your reaction time is doubled, 15% and you start to lose muscle control, 10-12% you can lose consciousness. These aren't the same values everywhere (if you're at sea level you can tend to get away with lower O2 levels because your lungs are more efficient in higher pressures, but it's not something you gently caress around with and assume it's ok. Depending on what's burning you might need to get 02 levels down to 16% at a minimum, some things will need 12% to stop burning.

That's not how halon systems work. They don't put out fires by reducing the concentration of oxygen, they actually participate in and poison the chemical reaction, by scavenging the free radicals that propagate it. Even at just a few % by volume concentrations, they can knock down fires, and typical concentrations in flooding systems are only 7%.

The do-not-enter isn't because of asphyxiation, it's because at those concentrations the gas can get you high, which isn't what you want in a fire, and because the decomposition byproducts can include hydrobromic acid.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This man is a glorious idiot and shold be encouraged in everything. Like making a jet bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1EHZPjLNHk

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

We had a halon dump at my work once when someone in the Medical Records department hit the wrong switch during a fire drill. It turned out to be a paperwork nightmare for everyone involved and we almost got fined by Environment Canada for not having replaced the halon system with something else (Sapphire?) years ago.

Staff in that area were complaining of dizziness, nausea, coughing, etc., for weeks after that. Apparently none of those are symptoms of halon exposure. They also claimed that the halon had left a residue on everything and they didn't feel safe working. It was dust.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

In my younger days, some friends mistakenly bought CO2 cartridges rather than NO2 cartridges to do whip-its with. We all realized the error before anyone tried to do one, but I, being the reckless but curious nihilist that I was in those days, decided to try one out. I remember the experience as being surprisingly mild. I recall taking a big lungful of CO2, and just feeling like my lungs were full and no longer interested in doing much of anything. I held it for a brief time, then forced my lungs to clear, and started breathing normally again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In my younger days, some friends mistakenly bought CO2 cartridges rather than NO2 cartridges to do whip-its with. We all realized the error before anyone tried to do one, but I, being the reckless but curious nihilist that I was in those days, decided to try one out. I remember the experience as being surprisingly mild. I recall taking a big lungful of CO2, and just feeling like my lungs were full and no longer interested in doing much of anything. I held it for a brief time, then forced my lungs to clear, and started breathing normally again.

Yeah one breath of CO2 wouldn't be much worse than just holding your breath I guess.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 598 days!

Thanks to this I now know there is a 10 hour long "air raid siren" clip on youtube.

Gonna turn this up all the way, leave for for work, and show the cat who's loving boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIos0ya-yss

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

Staff in that area were complaining of dizziness, nausea, coughing, etc., for weeks after that. Apparently none of those are symptoms of halon exposure. They also claimed that the halon had left a residue on everything and they didn't feel safe working. It was dust.

Yeah if I recall correctly from the shipboard firefighting stuff I did years ago, accidental discharges of halon (i.e. there's no fire) are totally harmless. All the bad stuff happens as a result of the high temperature.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FrozenVent posted:

CO2 release =/= fire. In theory it has to be manually activated, but there's a reason the alarm switches are in the pipes, not linked to the triggers.

Ohhhh I get it now. An oh poo poo button of sorts. Related: fire suppression is an interesting field.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

A hundred Sunyears after the Old Ones scorched the skies, the young shaman stumbles again into the cave with the warm metal. With his father's war wedge, he breaks off shards of the warm metal and plans to turn it into magic belt buckles for the whole tribe, as instructed by the Old Ones' pictograms, showing how you should place the magic material on your abdomen for best effect. By Obamma's tears, this might be the trick to get the chieftan's daughter pregnant. If that works, it might even bring the water and crops back.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Phanatic posted:

That's not how halon systems work. They don't put out fires by reducing the concentration of oxygen, they actually participate in and poison the chemical reaction, by scavenging the free radicals that propagate it. Even at just a few % by volume concentrations, they can knock down fires, and typical concentrations in flooding systems are only 7%.

The do-not-enter isn't because of asphyxiation, it's because at those concentrations the gas can get you high, which isn't what you want in a fire, and because the decomposition byproducts can include hydrobromic acid.

Hydrobromic acid and carbonyl fluoride, the latter of which is something that manages to combine the worst aspects of hydrofluoric acid and phosgene.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

How the gently caress else did they think that would end?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't get it. That is quite clearly a vehicle that has been cut in half. Isn't what's going on there basically intentional?

oh yeah also

Yeah I've had Colinfurze' channel bookmarked for years. Just go ahead and watch every one of his videos.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 14, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Leperflesh posted:

I don't get it. That is quite clearly a vehicle that has been cut in half. Isn't what's going on there basically intentional?

It looks like it just snapped. I think the cab's typically wholly separate from the bed even for regular little pick-ups.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SirDan3k posted:

How the gently caress else did they think that would end?

What is leverage and fulcrums? :saddowns:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
"Dur it's a truck and trucks are sturdy work vehicles see if we slam the back of it into ice and yank up on the front of it it's fine because physics is a lie"

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjN0Bw61e8

So a buddy of mine builds jet engines for a hobby, built a pretty big one that produces a giant fuckoff amount of fire, then starts it with a leafblower.

Where couple of weeks back he made a remotecontrol leafblower just so this wouldn't happen.

He ended up with a couple of second and first degree burns.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

and that's where cooper minis come from

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Pour some newly-opened Coke into a deep cup to fill it up about half way, then inhale the air from the top of the cup while it's still extra-fizzy, it's your own little CO2 chamber. It feels weird and makes you cough.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Guys, stop trying to huff noxious gasses.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stop narcing, narc.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hypha posted:

Guys, stop trying to huff noxious gasses.
Or at the very least choose ones that give you a killer buzz.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah at least go huff some paint or something geez you guys.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Sniff coke for a strange effect.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

Sniff coke for a strange effect.

*SirDan3k takes 12 DMG and loses turn!*

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Meant to post post this a few weeks ago when I saw it:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Manky posted:

I mean, yeah, OSHA.jpg, but it appears that the horizontal ladder is being supported by a device on the vertical ladder(s) that looks to be made just for the purpose of holding a ladder in that position. I could be totally wrong of course, and this could be OSHA of the year.

Edit: I've seen painters in my area with this same setup. Let me see if I can figure out what that piece is called.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Manky posted:

Eh, that doesn't look too bad. Doesn't look like you could build a scaffold there without loving up those bushes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EZipperelli posted:

I mean, yeah, OSHA.jpg, but it appears that the horizontal ladder is being supported by a device on the vertical ladder(s) that looks to be made just for the purpose of holding a ladder in that position. I could be totally wrong of course, and this could be OSHA of the year.

Edit: I've seen painters in my area with this same setup. Let me see if I can figure out what that piece is called.

Look at the ladder on the right.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FrozenVent posted:

Look at the ladder on the right.

It looks like it has a similar thing on the side that's facing the wall? :confused:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
It looks like it's resting on some decorative molding and not the actual roof.

Or maybe the door is blocked, I don't know.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thylacine posted:

It looks like it's resting on some decorative molding and not the actual roof.

Or maybe the door is blocked, I don't know.

I can't tell if it's an I-beam or a gutter.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The original YouTube video is worth watching to hear the NSFW audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt7uKX5qEk

Funny, there's even a second angle of this: http://www.maniacworld.com/how-not-to-pull-a-truck-out-of-ice.html

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 14, 2014

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002

EZipperelli posted:

They are called 'ladder jacks'

I have a set of them from my grandfather who was a painter in upstate Pennsylvania in the 30's on up.

The ones I have are steel, and are hinged in the center with adjustable hooks, so you can get a level platform whether you mount them on the outside or inside of a ladder setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure in order for that to be remotely safe, both supporting ladders need to be parallel and leaning at the same angle, with the feet very firmly planted.

• Locked thread