Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cubey posted:

So then, pretty much every American race car driver? Cool.

Can we please ban every stupid motherfucker who knows absolutely nothing about motorsports of any kind from posting in this thread, jesus christ.

What kind of racing are you watching where every driver gets out and runs around on a live track? Sounds like it's really lovely if the drivers have nothing better to do than getting out of their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

You say this as though the odds are the same in both situations.

Well in the last 23 years, 25 NASCAR drivers have died on-track. Of those, 0 were out of their cars.

I guess you're right, the odds aren't the same at all.

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of racing are you watching where every driver gets out and runs around on a live track? Sounds like it's really lovely if the drivers have nothing better to do than getting out of their car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5O24m5iuo

That happened on the same loving day, even.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubey posted:

Well in the last 23 years, 25 NASCAR drivers have died on-track. Of those, 0 were out of their cars.

Dirt track + he was right loving there! He wasn't off to the side! He was actively trying to get in the direct way of traffic! He pretty much jumps in front of of the car, as if it would stop.

I mean really, I feel bad for people who commit suicide by jumping off buildings. I would not feel bad for the person who gets pissed off, wants to show someone a thing or two and jumps off a building expecting to live.

cname fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 11, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

Dirt track + he was right loving there! He wasn't off to the side! He was actively trying to get in the direct way of traffic!

I saw both versions of this post before you edited it. It's nice to see idiots who don't know what the gently caress they are talking about pivot like this :allears:

e: and you edited it even further. Give it up, you are clueless.

e2: AND A FOURTH TIME. Jesus christ dude just gently caress off already.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's hard to say but maybe most fatalities in a race involve drivers who are in cars because most of the drivers tend to be in cars during the race. Just my opinion

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
So I heard Tony Stewart raped some kid on the track last night? What's up with that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cubey posted:

I saw both versions of this post before you edited it. It's nice to see idiots who don't know what the gently caress they are talking about pivot like this :allears:

e: and you edited it even further. Give it up, you are clueless.

e2: AND A FOURTH TIME. Jesus christ dude just gently caress off already.

You're right man. Every American race car driver does this all the time without dying. It's all Tony Stewart's fault.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's hard to say but maybe most fatalities in a race involve drivers who are in cars because most of the drivers tend to be in cars during the race. Just my opinion

fag boy jim may or may not be on to something groundbreaking, imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

You're right man. Every American race car driver does this all the time without dying. It's all Tony Stewart's fault.

This is pretty much true in NASCAR and even more so on the local dirt tracks, so I'm not sure what you are suggesting :confused:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Cubey has hated Stewart for years, since he probably won't disclose that fact himself here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cubey posted:

This is pretty much true in NASCAR and even more so on the local dirt tracks, so I'm not sure what you are suggesting :confused:

I'm suggesting that you are an actual retard.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VikingSkull posted:

Cubey has hated Stewart for years, since he probably won't disclose that fact himself here.

What the gently caress? I've been a Stewart fan since he was in IndyCar. I can't even imagine where the gently caress you got that idea from but it's dead wrong.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm suggesting that you are an actual retard.

Take it up with NASCAR then, considering they even use examples in their own promotional footage, especially for short track races.

Again, a driver did that on Saturday in the NASCAR race, the same day Ward was killed. I'm sorry you seem to have such a hard time accepting facts.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubey posted:

That you're a traffic play apologist who wants to adopt a team of young, car dodgers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

What the gently caress? I've been a Stewart fan since he was in IndyCar. I can't even imagine where the gently caress you got that idea from but it's dead wrong.

I'm busting your chops

also I'd like to point out that most angry drivers who walk out on track generally wait for the field to be picked up by the pace car

like, I don't think I've ever seen anyone charge out on the very next lap after a wreck, and others will attest that I've seen a looooooot of races

maybe I'm forgetting one I dunno

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of racing are you watching where every driver gets out and runs around on a live track?

I was about to say that I cant find where that's actually illegal under the for example FIA sporting code, but I did eventually find driver conduct that covers it. It's not as obvious or as covered as you would have thought. The actual schedules covering this are rather vague.

In general a person be it a driver or official is not allowed on a live track except for the express permission of race control, this also includes life threatening situations. Drivers have been charged for being on a live track contrary to race control's direction and Ward should / would have been charged for this if the sanctioning authority has rules covering this situation.

But all in all, I'm surprised how vague the sporting codes are over drivers being on a live track - in other situations where a driver has had a fit of rage and advanced towards a competitors car on a live track, the charge is as far as I have seen, conduit contrary to the image of the sport (that covers fighting, throwing helmets at cars etc) rather than under acting in a manner dangerous.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
See, there you go. It's against the rules, so he shouldn't have done it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Running into traffic was a mistake for sure

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the thing that's really hilarious is Stewart never touched him, and all things considered didn't even run him that hard lol

e- in the cars I mean

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well the thing is, imo, I don't think Ward was legitimately so mad that he was blind with rage and charged into traffic. It's just some dumbass macho stuff where you have to save face after you get wrecked, so you toss your gloves and your helmet and jaw off. Ideally you should do this without acting like a complete idiot unlike the guy who died.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah everyone was saying Stewart was a hothead who blew but tbh I'm not even convinced he knew what happened, or why it would upset him. Strange that the guy running in the path of cars and angrily gesturing didn't get the hothead label.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

nsaP posted:

Yeah everyone was saying Stewart was a hothead who blew but tbh I'm not even convinced he knew what happened, or why it would upset him. Strange that the guy running in the path of cars and angrily gesturing didn't get the hothead label.

He wasn't angry, just trying to get Stewart's autograph.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cname posted:

See, there you go. It's against the rules, so he shouldn't have done it.

You missed the point, that being that even the FIA has no truly formalized rules over driver ingress onto a live track (as I said, they are vague at best) and that actually raises the question exactly ARE the rules about drivers exiting cars on a live track on this course. Also that when a driver has been charged for ingress on a live track, in general the charge wasn't acting in a manner dangerous. There have been charges for that, but in the main, it's acting in a manner contrary to the image of the sport.

You can bet money the coroner will be asking that question and so will the police. It will also be quite important in any civil case.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

nsaP posted:

I'm curious about this as well. Did he know what happened, or did the pit crew have to inform him? I'm sure his eyes were focused on the inside of the track, while the kid was struck by the outside wheel(s).

It would sorta shed some light on his decision to race again the next day, or whenever that race was that he recently announced he wouldn't be participating in.

I mean, I may have run over a squirrel at some point and not known about it. Can't really be sad about the unknown. Difference being, I'd feel bad for the squirrel because squirrels aren't physically smart enough to know not to run in front of moving vehicles.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

I'm curious about this as well. Did he know what happened, or did the pit crew have to inform him? I'm sure his eyes were focused on the inside of the track, while the kid was struck by the outside wheel(s).

He stopped his car on the backstretch separately from every other car, and sprint cars do not have radios. Yes he knew what happened, don't be dense.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
anyone who works around open wheel race cars, specifically of the big tire variety, know what happens if you hit someone with one

there's a really bad video from years ago that illustrates why and no I'm not gonna post it

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

I was about to say that I cant find where that's actually illegal under the for example FIA sporting code, but I did eventually find driver conduct that covers it. It's not as obvious or as covered as you would have thought. The actual schedules covering this are rather vague.

In general a person be it a driver or official is not allowed on a live track except for the express permission of race control, this also includes life threatening situations. Drivers have been charged for being on a live track contrary to race control's direction and Ward should / would have been charged for this if the sanctioning authority has rules covering this situation.

But all in all, I'm surprised how vague the sporting codes are over drivers being on a live track - in other situations where a driver has had a fit of rage and advanced towards a competitors car on a live track, the charge is as far as I have seen, conduit contrary to the image of the sport (that covers fighting, throwing helmets at cars etc) rather than under acting in a manner dangerous.

This post is way to good for this thread.

But the more evidence I see the more to me it looks like a tragic accident. The Slo-mo version of the video has Ward stepping so far out onto the line, even further then where he was when the first car through just missed him. Stewart probably didn't even realise it was him that was Ward was mad at, so I don't know about the trying to scare him angle either.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

runoverbobby posted:

It's a sprint car configured for racing on a dirt track with very little traction.
And you're just gonna refuse to believe that it doesn't turn the same way as your Jetta?

I don't think I've seen one of these cars corner without sliding.

So I don't really understand the amount of people jumping straight to murder on this.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
They're talking about a trophy in Ward's memory. Gonna look like this:

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

Herv posted:

They're talking about a trophy in Ward's memory. Gonna look like this:

:drat:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I was talking about the crash

AgentJotun posted:

This post is way to good for this thread.

But the more evidence I see the more to me it looks like a tragic accident. The Slo-mo version of the video has Ward stepping so far out onto the line, even further then where he was when the first car through just missed him. Stewart probably didn't even realise it was him that was Ward was mad at, so I don't know about the trying to scare him angle either.

Yeah thats what I was saying. He knew he ran over him of course but I dunno if he knew Ward crashed or was mad at him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I agree. I doubt that Tony had any idea the kid was mad and waiting for him in the middle of the loving track. Tony has been racing open wheel cars almost his entire life and is well aware what an open wheel car can do to a person that gets too close. I don't buy the "goosing the throttle" theory because although he is a hot head, he's not a sociopathic idiot that would risk killing another driver to get a little dirt on them.

At this point I would say the only thing Tony might be guilty of is not paying close enough attention to the situation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

leica posted:

At this point I would say the only thing Tony might be guilty of is not paying close enough attention to the situation.

There was a full course caution on at the time, right? If so, that supports this idea.

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

Cubey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5O24m5iuo

That happened on the same loving day, even.

Oh similar circumstances for sure!

I mean it's not like it was broad daylight and he was surrounded by safety crew with a long line of cars traveling behind a pace car or anything

That poo poo would be ridiculous.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

There was a full course caution on at the time, right? If so, that supports this idea.

As far as I can see, Stewart didn't actually nerf the guy into the wall, he did what is a fairly typical pass on a dirt oval and there was utterly nothing malicious or even intentional in Stewart's driving. Ward basically got squeezed and had a pretty typical unassisted crash - it looks like the very definition of racing incident.

The more I see and hear about this,

quote:

Looks to be right.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
This is the only way to handle disagreements on the track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuNx5tTA4hM

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lol you should see when bike racers start hitting each other in the head.

While still wearing full gear....they missed the training that the hockey guys get. It's cute and sad.

edit: here's a decent one, there were a couple dudes in moto3 this year too if I can find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvnC4k8KI4

The closest I've seen to confronting someone was Stoner at Jerez 2012. Rossi tried an overly ambitious pass in the wet and crashed out himself with Stoner, who he was passing. The marshals all rushed to Rossi's aid while pretty much ignoring Stoner, Rossi was able to re-start but Stoner was not. He first gave a big "gently caress you" to the marshals that ignored him, then gave Rossi the slow-clap as he came around the next time

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 12, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

tony murdered that boy in cold blood, keep the hammer down in heaven guy who died

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Glambags posted:

Pedestrians have the right of way. Checkmate, Tony Stewart apologists.

This is not true. But please feel free to try it on the road!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

You missed the point, that being that even the FIA has no truly formalized rules over driver ingress onto a live track (as I said, they are vague at best)

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

the FIA also doesn't have rules against driving a Ferrari in GT despite the fact that that's more dangerous than walking across a hot race track

• Locked thread