Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorta yeah but with a lot more frames obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've seen that before too, but the items cycled on the pedestal. Picking them up just said NULL and then the game continued on instead.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

IUG posted:

I've seen that before too, but the items cycled on the pedestal. Picking them up just said NULL and then the game continued on instead.

That one stems from a bug regarding the item pools and how they aren't always re-filled when they should be.

It's explained why that bug happens in the wiki.

I've also heard about the tarot card glitch, but I'm not quite sure what triggers that. If anyone knows why that happens, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good god maggie is poo poo how did i get my first win with her

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Creeping like a nun and tanking every incoming bullet.

The slowest thing in the world is Maggie after a speed-down pill.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

good god maggie is poo poo how did i get my first win with her

I like Maggie. The Yum Heart is a pretty good item to start with.

Eve is hot garbage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there anything you can really do with the dead sea scrolls?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Tollymain posted:

is there anything you can really do with the dead sea scrolls?

Combine with high damage and the habit/9 volt? Maybe then you'll get some good effects you can keep doing I guess

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
A couple of observations regarding the community mod:

1. Seems like the champion rate is way, way higher. I feel like I'm getting champs more often than not in rooms.

2. Twice today I got two devil rooms in back to back levels so maybe I just have the devil's luck (:haw:) or something is different there.

3. Spider Mod runs like garbage on my fairly beefy computer where as regular Isaac has always just kind of run slow at times.

4. Peeper just flies off the stage at the start of each room now.

E: Also I got this:

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Jibo posted:

A couple of observations regarding the community mod:

1. Seems like the champion rate is way, way higher. I feel like I'm getting champs more often than not in rooms.

Did you buy an item called Champion's belt? I bought it from the shop and noticed it made champions appear in almost every room. One thing I also noticed from the mod is that there seems to be a lot more tinted rocks. Also, because there's more soul heart types and key types, it seems a bit easier.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Eve is hot garbage.

Counterpoint: the best character in any videogame is the one that moves the fastest. Eve is the best.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just beat The Chest with Eve to unlock Judas' Tongue, but instead I unlocked Samson's Lock. :shepface:

So how do you unlock Judas' Tongue?

e: Oh poo poo, is it because I had used the Ankh and only had soul hearts? Hate playing as Eve. :bang:

e2: At least on that Eve run I DID have the D6 and Mom's Knife. Still, though.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 11, 2014

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

To get Judas' Tongue, you beat the game with Judas. Might get the wrong achievement, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Soul Glo posted:

e: Oh poo poo, is it because I had used the Ankh and only had soul hearts? Hate playing as Eve. :bang:

You count as ???.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The Chest unlocks are all sorts of hosed up, this is a known thing and someone should put it in the OP at this point. You get the dead baby unlock if you beat it with Eve.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, there's a lot of bugs and other stuff in the game and people did a lot of work documenting them, but as far as I can tell there isn't really a central resource on all aspects of the game. Yeah, there's the wiki, but it doesn't seem very complete in this regard.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, there's a lot of bugs and other stuff in the game and people did a lot of work documenting them, but as far as I can tell there isn't really a central resource on all aspects of the game.

Oh yes there is:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

octobernight posted:

Did you buy an item called Champion's belt? I bought it from the shop and noticed it made champions appear in almost every room. One thing I also noticed from the mod is that there seems to be a lot more tinted rocks. Also, because there's more soul heart types and key types, it seems a bit easier.

Well yes and no. I have gotten it on 2 out of ~20 runs. But I'm wondering if maybe the way it's programmed makes the change "permanent" while the game is running. For example when I was playing yesterday I got it on my first run pretty early and I left the game open and did quite a few more runs where I didn't get the belt but there was definitely an increase in champs. One run I did (got up to The Heart since this is a fresh save) had champs for literally every boss.

Could just be a coincidence and I'm definitely down with more champs but it was definitely noticeable.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PostNouveau posted:

Eve is hot garbage.

My best runs have all been with Eve, to the point that I consider using her to be a crutch that I need to stop. It is very possible to have a permanent Whore of Babylon effect, and until then, Dead Bird is a great help with hard-to-hit enemies and making up for her low damage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MrBims posted:

My best runs have all been with Eve, to the point that I consider using her to be a crutch that I need to stop. It is very possible to have a permanent Whore of Babylon effect, and until then, Dead Bird is a great help with hard-to-hit enemies and making up for her low damage.

This is so weird to read. Eve is, like, the worst character in my opinion. You have to take damage to get Dead Bird out which means you can't really rely on it unless you've got a stupid amount of soul hearts or don't care about devil/angel rooms. Her damage is significantly down, like .75 of base, right?

Now Cain? That's real Easy Mode. I even prefer him even over Isaac since there's no D6 backtracking.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just got to Sheol with Samson in the community mod without getting a single damage increase item and only one health increase. :gonk:

Thank god for the Candle.

Is there a list anywhere for what the items in the mod do? I've run into a lot of stuff where it's not really clear what is happening.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

This is so weird to read. Eve is, like, the worst character in my opinion. You have to take damage to get Dead Bird out which means you can't really rely on it unless you've got a stupid amount of soul hearts or don't care about devil/angel rooms. Her damage is significantly down, like .75 of base, right?

Now Cain? That's real Easy Mode. I even prefer him even over Isaac since there's no D6 backtracking.

Of course, her low damage problem is completely fixed if you simply take 1 1/2 hearts of damage on the first floor and never pick any up to get into danger mode.

Cain is pretty much easy mode, but he's also sort of boring and his lucky foot means you've got to have some amount of self-control to not spend minutes farming any arcades you find.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Ideally, you trade Eve's heart containers to the Devil after level 2 and get by on soul hearts and the Whore of Babylon buff. Don't bother trying for Angel Rooms as Eve. Deliberately getting hit by monsters is a bad plan in the meantime. If you see an early blood donation machine, use it to get down to half a heart and stay there.

Playing Eve is about balancing on a knife edge.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/94477363909/i-have-worms New Blog post, introduces a new Enemy and a video of the near final state of the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2eSyaZq2c

There's also a new item called the Blood clot which increases range and damage.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Man, that's looking really sweet and smooth in action.

Also I hope that Luck Down pill actually works as intended. :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even the 30fps Youtube video looks so smooth :circlefap:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
God drat that's looking good. I really dig the distortion effect when Monstro was slamming down.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Looks great, but I'm not digging the sound design. It sounds a lot like SMB where there's just little smacking sounds and it doesn't have that nice distinctive noise of BoI. But maybe the music and SFX levels just need to be tweaked, I dunno.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

Looks great, but I'm not digging the sound design. It sounds a lot like SMB where there's just little smacking sounds and it doesn't have that nice distinctive noise of BoI. But maybe the music and SFX levels just need to be tweaked, I dunno.

The news post said the sounds aren't final. Which is good because I barely heard anything over the music.

What do you figure the Roman collar looking thing in the Devil Room was? Probably some kind of molestation joke but I'm curious as to what it does.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So they decided against different sized rooms then?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That seems like a pretty big jump to make considering it's under 2 minutes of game footage without a large room.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Harminoff posted:

So they decided against different sized rooms then?

There's different sized rooms. They're just pretty infrequent, and may not be finished for that trial run yet.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Trick Question posted:

Of course, her low damage problem is completely fixed if you simply take 1 1/2 hearts of damage on the first floor and never pick any up to get into danger mode.

Cain is pretty much easy mode, but he's also sort of boring and his lucky foot means you've got to have some amount of self-control to not spend minutes farming any arcades you find.

Yo I guess this was a little while back but going into WoB mode as Eve still does not bring you up to Isaac levels of damage. She's a hard character to play, and she's supposed to be hard.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Rebirth is looking absolutely fantastic. The Monstro fight was gorgeous, and silky smooth.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This game really needs to come out. Seeing it in video form like that was so amazing, I just know I'm going to love it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thank God picking up an item doesn't lock you in place any more. I can't wait to play it on both my PS4 and my Vita.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm super glad that the boss actually died once the health bar ran out instead of taking a few extra hits like in current BoI.

also eve loving blows and whore of babylon isn't actually very strong, not nearly strong enough to make her starting damage worth it compared to cain's 3(plus luck foot) and juda's 4(plus belail, which also increases devil room chance), or issac's "who cares what my damage is I have the d6"
not as bad as Samson though

basically
  • Issac
  • Cain/Judas
  • Maggy/???
  • Eve
  • Samson
shuffle around ??? depending on how worth it you think guaranteed permanent polaroid is for a rough early-through-midgame+often fewer achievable devil deals I guess

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 12, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

repiv posted:

Even the 30fps Youtube video looks so smooth :circlefap:

It actually looks like 60 FPS, YouTube added that feature recently and it makes the videos so much better to look at (not only Isaac's).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, i discovered what happens when you combine the d20 and the habit and any blood donation machines lying around :stare:

first time i've ever beaten the game out of boredom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Color Printer posted:

Man, that's looking really sweet and smooth in action.

Also I hope that Luck Down pill actually works as intended. :v:

By which you mean it still subtracts a negative number, I trust.

• Locked thread