Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

eth0.n posted:

Big Guys in general tend to be newb/funhaver bait. They look cool, but in practice, you're better off fielding more reliable players.

You also run into situations like the one I had last night, where you have a fresh mino punch a gobbo, get skull both down skull, fail the loner roll, and end up with -st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

eth0.n posted:

Big Guys in general tend to be newb/funhaver bait. They look cool, but in practice, you're better off fielding more reliable players.

What would you guys suggest to replace him? I have 1 passer, 4 blitzers, 4 black orcs, a thrower and lineorc plus troll.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
^^
Assuming you repeated yourself, and the "Thrower" and "Passer" are the same player, another lineorc, and more rerolls.

Brainamp posted:

You also run into situations like the one I had last night, where you have a fresh mino punch a gobbo, get skull both down skull, fail the loner roll, and end up with -st.

Yeah, Minotaurs are surprisingly fragile. 8 AV is quite low for a Big Guy.

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 12, 2014

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I actually really like trolls on orc teams. For a near-invincible punching bag they're pretty cheap. The trick is not to do anything with them unless you really have to or it doesn't matter.

Also consider trading all of your lineorcs for goblins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
4421 (Blorc, Blitzer, lino, thrower, then 3 rerolls to take you to 990 TV) is the standard build. When you have money, buy an apo then a spare lino. Then save it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

vulturesrow posted:

What would you guys suggest to replace him? I have 1 passer, 4 blitzers, 4 black orcs, a thrower and lineorc plus troll.

You're probably better off just getting a line orc and possibly another one as a sub, they're not flashy but they're reliable and more TV efficient. Two linos may be worse on paper than one troll but as was stated earlier Orcs really don't need the big guy. Of course, if you're enjoying the big guy life by all means keep him, big guys are fun if you're willing to accept the risk and RNG associated with them.

Considering you're new to BB (and you're playing single player) you really don't need to be cutthroat TV efficient, just have fun and try stuff out but know that Trolls very rarely show up on ~~~~optimal~~~~ Orc teams.

And of course, if you start to think Orks are boring you can branch off into another team based on whether or not you wanna punch more or pass more.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
My Orc starting early roster is
1 Troll
4 Blitzers
4 Black Orcs
1 Lineman
2 Goblins

The goblins provide cheap depth, high movement (relatively), and the ability to put an assist in those hard to reach places or stunty their way to score or make a hand-off when things get really desperate.

Throwers are terrible. If you wanna throw fingz mayhaps you should play a different team, ya git.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I would suggest some goblin fodder with dirty player on them. you can use them to tie up the other players defense and to foul near the end of your turn. If he gets thrown off the pitch it doesn't matter much in the long run. You can also put diving catch on them and go for some hail mary passes if you are really desperate.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Victor Vermis posted:

Throwers are terrible. If you wanna throw fingz mayhaps you should play a different team, ya git.

They have sure hands. That's plenty reason to take one.

They shouldn't be used to actually throw the ball except in desperate situations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The best option is just play everything. As many teams as you have naming gimmicks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

goatface posted:

The best option is just play everything. As many teams as you have naming gimmicks.

Or just keep a few naming gimmicks on hand, then rotate them as your teams inevitably fail. Tungsten Terminators II and CX Industries IV are currently two of my teams. I should stop giving my Elf teams the Game Center CX gimmick, doesn't seem to work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The purpose of the ork thrower is to stand in the backfield on your drive, and use Sure Hands to pick up the ball. He will then move up into your cage while you put two or three blitzers a few spaces into your opponent's side. Advance the cage and when you're ready to score, the thrower runs up and hands off the ball to a blitzer, who takes his full move and hopefully scores or at least is far enough away from defenders to not get punched. You don't actually score with the thrower unless you're out of rerolls and can't afford to risk a handoff, because you don't really want to skill him up - you want those SPPs on your blitzers (and black orks, but they earn the SPPs from punching dudes).

Of course, you can develop a passing game with orks if you want to. It will be bad, but it's not quite as bad as the teams that you should literally never ever pass with. The thrower has access to passing skills, so you can get like strong arm + accurate. The AG3 is a permanent handicap but if you happen to get a +AG skillup on a thrower then maybe you have the option. Your big problems are that nobody is good at catching and nobody is faster than MA6, so you can't outrun your opponents either, and nobody starts with dodge. Your thrower with a bunch of passing skills added, plus maybe an AG skillup, is going to be a big pile of SPPs in a package with poor movement, no dodge, and only OK armor, so he's super vulnerable, and also has no role to play when you're on defense until you break the ball loose from your opponent.

Also don't play the single player too much more or you will learn a lot of bad habits due to the particular ways in which the AI is programmed (badly). You might for example start thinking it's OK to dodge a lot (the AI will dodge a lot with players who should never dodge) or not learn how to make an effective cage (the AI can't make effective cages) or something.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The best Orc team is 4 goblins and a troll, because the goblins are faster than poo poo linos and the troll can throw them. Thrower is good for touching the ball sometimes but is still a slow poo poo.

Get all the blitzers and only two black orcs to stand on the line with the troll.

edit: linos are so bad just get goblins instead. They provide assists the same and got other talents.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Victor Vermis posted:

Jade Star posted:

Green Elfing is totally possible

...may require some luck/skills.

:v:

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

What it requires is sacking your players when they hit level 3 and don't get a + agi roll.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
That MV5 Agi4 Thrower still needs two turns to reach the ball from the center of the field.

Orcs cage. The faster you cage, advance, and envelope the enemy's defensive line and backers, the more time you can spend generating free SPP through agi3 quick passes back and forth while slapping the poo poo out of the MV7/8/9 snowflakes attempting to snatch the ball back. All within walking distance of the endzone.

Bloodbowl is hell.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I picked this up when it was on sale on Steam last week, and I'm pretty lost.

The tutorial actually made me more confused than when I started.

Should I just take one of the stock teams and play a few more games against the computer? The Easy AI completely stomped me, and I don't think I'm remotely ready to try playing online yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Playing vs the computer will give you a decent idea of the basic mechanics of the game.

You can also check out the blood bowl LPs to see games in action:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3303607
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630675

What's giving you trouble? Basic interface stuff? Team builds? Play tactics?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

WhiteHowler posted:

I picked this up when it was on sale on Steam last week, and I'm pretty lost.

The tutorial actually made me more confused than when I started.

Should I just take one of the stock teams and play a few more games against the computer? The Easy AI completely stomped me, and I don't think I'm remotely ready to try playing online yet.

Go on youtube and watch cKnoor's beginner videos.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I think we're up to 4 LPs that have intro videos talking about how to play and stuff. Its actually how a lot of us got in to the game.

cKnoor's original: http://lparchive.org/Blood-Bowl/

My bloodbowl videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/blackmageyapo/videos

Agent355s videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRmyqfv-yKBd5pglS5CLHRLwNLM_Cqhzo

And GNUOrder's was linked the next post up. His is still ongoing.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Just make a team on FUMBBL and play in [B] league until you're done with Blood Bowl forever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

E. Nesbit posted:

Just make a team on FUMBBL and play in [B] league until you're done with Blood Bowl forever.

Don't actually do this.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the video links. I'll go through them tomorrow.

The main thing I'm not getting is what determines the chances that something will happen. For example, if I try to run past an opponent or pick up the ball, how is my target roll determined? When do I get one attack die, and when do I get two? Why are the dice red sometimes (which I guess is defender's choice of outcome)? The tutorial might have told me some of this, but it was throwing a lot of concepts at me all at once.

That said, I think something clicked just now:

Turning on the tackle zone display and not being quite as aggressive on offense seemed to help a lot.

Sure, it was just an AI on Easy, and my team cost was a few hundred higher, but I feel good about this, darn it!

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Reading the rulebook/manual will help but it's not as fun as watching LPs. It's available through Steam, if you go to the game's page there should be a link on the right. It's linked on the previous page too.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

The main thing I'm not getting is what determines the chances that something will happen. For example, if I try to run past an opponent or pick up the ball, how is my target roll determined? When do I get one attack die, and when do I get two? Why are the dice red sometimes (which I guess is defender's choice of outcome)? The tutorial might have told me some of this, but it was throwing a lot of concepts at me all at once.

You can read the rules here. Aside from a few subtleties, it's an accurate implementation of the board game rules.

For blocking or blitzing (the two kinds of "attacks"), you get one die if your strengh, in combination with assists (by default, players adjacent to your enemy, but not adjacent to another standing enemy) is equal to theirs, combination with their assists against you. For up to double their effective strength, you get two dice. Double and beyond, you get triple. If they are better than you, you roll two or three dice, and they choose the best. It's almost never a good idea to do this.

The game itself is bad at indicating the whys, and the X+ numbers it shows aren't always accurate (nor do they always appear where you'd want them). There's no substitute for learning the rules. But fortunately, they're intended for tabletop play, so that aren't so complicated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3RRV6tKrg
Pretty much all the basics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Random matchmaking paired my Khemri against this elf team

:getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, regarding my previous post and the last one: Can you win a game by making the other dude unable to field enough players for the LoS?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fat Samurai posted:

So, regarding my previous post and the last one: Can you win a game by making the other dude unable to field enough players for the LoS?

The rulebook distributed with the game says the following - page 15, "Winning The Game":

"In the rare event that one team has no players to set up after
KO’d rolls, both teams' turn markers are moved forward
along
the turn track two spaces and if one team could field at least one
player then that team is awarded a touchdown (however no
player receives Star Player points (see page 25) for this.. If this
takes the number of turns to 8 or
more for both teams, then the
half ends. If there are still turns left in the half, then continue
playing as if a drive has just ended (i.e. clear the pitch and roll for
KO'd players)."

So I presume that means that if somebody doesn't have enough for the LoS, but still has players, those are simply placed on the LoS and you proceed as normal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cyanide follows the rules correctly in that regard. You play as normal until they can field no players at the start of a drive, at which point you are awarded a TD, the clock moves forward two turns and they roll recoveries on any KOs. This repeats until they get players back or the game ends.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finally caught up with the current LP and it has awakened my desire to play Blood Bowl again, but I have played zero multiplayer in chaos edition (of 29 hours played :psyduck:) and only two short leagues in legendary edition. And I'm utterly incapable of doing decent name gimmicks, which frankly is the worst part of all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

eth0.n posted:

For blocking or blitzing (the two kinds of "attacks"), you get one die if your strengh, in combination with assists (by default, players adjacent to your enemy, but not adjacent to another standing enemy) is equal to theirs, combination with their assists against you. For up to double their effective strength, you get two dice. Double and beyond, you get triple. If they are better than you, you roll two or three dice, and they choose the best. It's almost never a good idea to do this.

You only get three dice at more-than-double. If you're just at double you still only get two dice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fat Samurai posted:

In the tabletop game if you are unable to man a valid LoS during a kickoff (ie, 3 men on the line) you're allowed to immediately concede the game without the normal penalties of no winnings, no mvp, 51+ SPP guys leaving the team etc. In cyanide if you have literally no players the opposing player just gets free TDs until you're able to field a player and then play resumes with a kickoff.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So I take it the iPad version can play games with guys on the PC version?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only if they're playing one of the 6 teams the ipad version supports. Humans, orcs, skaven, dwarves, chaos, elves.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the video links. I'll go through them tomorrow.

The main thing I'm not getting is what determines the chances that something will happen. For example, if I try to run past an opponent or pick up the ball, how is my target roll determined?

The roll is determined by your AG skill (higher being better), with the modifiers for being in a tackle zone, having Sure Hands, etc.

WhiteHowler posted:

When do I get one attack die, and when do I get two?

You get two or three dice if the block is in your favor - in other words, an assist or higher strength.

WhiteHowler posted:

Why are the dice red sometimes (which I guess is defender's choice of outcome)?
The red dice indicate that your opponent has the advantage and will get to choose the outcome of the rolls.

This may help a bit.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

After making a Dwarf team called Literally Hitler, I don't think I really have the ability to judge whether my team ideas are good or terrible anymore, so I just roll with it and let Nuffle decide. If the team survives, it was a good idea.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
If you are going to use the ogre on your line of scrimmage make sure he is the last move you are going to make that turn and only use him if you have to. I have rolled bonehead/wild animal so many times it hurts my brain to think about it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Welp. Picked this back up after about a year or so absence. Rolled an Elf Team. Played a matchmaker match. Won 2-1 despite loving up repeatedly and generally playing dumb. Opposition Skaven team rolled Quad Skulls twice with his rat ogre. Blood Bowl.

First game, level up my Catcher. +MV. OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Obama

• Locked thread