Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Will the Border Team be as ridiculously broken in FMW3 as they are in IN? Stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yukari has shield stocks that are just Ran stocks instead.

edit: just to be clear I'm making this up

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 11, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Reimu will get Double Image, because clearly she's not dodgy enough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know, i'm a little disappointed that Scarlet team and Ghost team will probably get less emphasis than the other two teams because although Magic team gets the best line in the game I think Ghost team has the best dialogue overall. I just want to see Yuyuko and Youmu's epic midnight snack tour across the land. :(

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/playismJP/status/498698271666106369

So, it's finally public. ZUN is going with Playism as a digital distributor for the official games. Playism's site immediately crashed, but you can probably expect the english announcement soon when they come back up.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Ranpire posted:

So, it's finally public. ZUN is going with Playism as a digital distributor for the official games. Playism's site immediately crashed, but you can probably expect the english announcement soon when they come back up.

Cmon Playism. Get this in English on Steam. I'll buy all of them either way, but drat, finally.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Seems like a pretty logical choice to me, since they've been the biggest domestic force in making Japanese games available online. Now to see how the translations are being handled...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Steam please

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I hope to god if it gets a NA digital release, the translations are jank as gently caress.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Can't wait to see the whining about every single localization choice in the games.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Pureauthor posted:

Can't wait to see the whining about every single localization choice in the games.

DrSunshine's Touhou USA is canon :colbert:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man this is gonna be hilarious. Still, happy to finally see it happen.

Pureauthor posted:

I can already imagine:
"What do you mean her name is Franderl?!"
"I thought they were dwarves not gnomes!"
"Honorifics"

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Even though I'm sure Carpe Fulgur said they wouldn't do it (though I can't remember where the exact quote was, something about a legal minefield) I think those guys would have the best localization.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Casull posted:

Even though I'm sure Carpe Fulgur said they wouldn't do it (though I can't remember where the exact quote was, something about a legal minefield) I think those guys would have the best localization.

Yesss. Yes please.

I mean if Zun supports it that should clear things a lot more right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think he's planning on translating it, he's just gonna let us buy it in Japanese with a translated config menu. Well, that's my theory anyway.

I believe the story is that he heard anecdotes about people paying high shipping prices to import the games and thought they were being ripped off by the middleman so he decided to make it easier.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
He already basically announced this a few weeks ago by casually mentioning it on his Twitter with no fanfare at all. ZUN is like the complete opposite of the video game industry in every way and it's hilarious.

Clarste posted:

I don't think he's planning on translating it, he's just gonna let us buy it in Japanese with a translated config menu. Well, that's my theory anyway.
Ah, yes. Like all intelligent and attractive people, he surely knows that the only way to truly enjoy the Touhou Project is in the original Nihongo. :japan:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

Ah, yes. Like all intelligent and attractive people, he surely knows that the only way to truly enjoy the Touhou Project is in the original Nihongo. :japan:

I would say he's "busy" and "paranoid". Too paranoid to entrust the job to someone else, and too busy to learn English and do it himself. Touhou is his baby (well, that and his other, real baby) so he doesn't want to have to take it on faith that someone else did a good job with it. He can't exactly verify the quality of the translation himself.

...these are my impressions of him from the kinds of things he's written before.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 apparently now has a full English translation. Seems like it's still just a release candidate - people are nitpicking it right now - but give it a couple of days and it should be good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I would say he's "busy" and "paranoid". Too paranoid to entrust the job to someone else, and too busy to learn English and do it himself. Touhou is his baby (well, that and his other, real baby) so he doesn't want to have to take it on faith that someone else did a good job with it. He can't exactly verify the quality of the translation himself.

...these are my impressions of him from the kinds of things he's written before.
No, you're right. I just thought it was funny. You know people are going to completely misinterpret his motives like that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stelas posted:

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 apparently now has a full English translation. Seems like it's still just a release candidate - people are nitpicking it right now - but give it a couple of days and it should be good.

Does Evasion actually work in this one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, Evasion works. It's actually got a lot of really nice mechanics and unique gimmicks amongst the characters, too, and a class system you can use to further customize people. The tradeoff is that it's a lot easier - and I mean a whole lot easier except for some difficulty wall bosses. It's much more a case of breaking the mechanics as hard as you can for the sake of fun, rather than slogging through the grind.

Anyway, this patch is apparently the last patch they're going to be doing for v1.203, because the expansion (with the only knowns so far being playable Shou and Futo, I think?) is supposed to be hitting at C86.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Oh wow between this,FMW3, and overseas distribution it looks like a very good month for Touhou.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
Localisation seems like a thoroughly sensible move - I mean, presumably there are a fair few other Japanese indie developers ZUN can talk to if he wants to find out how good Playism are or aren't, so it wouldn't be blind faith at least - but I'm not betting on it for the reasons Clarste mentions. I'd be kind of torn if it happened, since I've already imported DDC and it's perfectly playable without the translation. Still, hopefully it'll do well enough for Impossible Spell Card to go online at some point. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) will happen when/if the next main Touhou game comes out, whether it'd go online at the same time it's available at doujin outlets or if it'd come out later.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
DDC is already up on the Japanese side of Playism's store, set to be released in two days. Nothing is showing on the English side, so he just might be making us buy it via their Japanese site.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So if DDC is up on Playism, and purchaseable in the States, does that mean that doujin groups can sell their games overseas, too?

e: Specifically referring to Touhou fangames, yeah. By which I mean, specifically referring to Fantasy Maiden Wars.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They have been, almost everything on Playism is from a doujin group. There are a lot more of the games on Steam, and there's a Humble Bundle right now of doujin games.

edit: If you mean the fangames, I actually don't know. They should be able to be sold, since they already digitally distribute a few via Melonbooks.com (which you can buy from with a US card.) An example is Labyrinth of Touhou 2, which also has a demo, and there's a bunch of others there.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2014

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Elliotw2 posted:

They have been, almost everything on Playism is from a doujin group. There are a lot more of the games on Steam, and there's a Humble Bundle right now of doujin games.

edit: If you mean the fangames, I actually don't know. They should be able to be sold, since they already digitally distribute a few via Melonbooks.com (which you can buy from with a US card.) An example is Labyrinth of Touhou 2, which also has a demo, and there's a bunch of others there.

Some 3d modelers also sell MikuMikuDance resources through melonbooks; Montecore's popular TD cast models spring to mind. As far as I can tell the free demo versions are fully functional and have similar terms of use to most free models; I guess the paid versions come with alternate textures or more slider options or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The paid versions give you the .3ds and .psd source files, and modification rights.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So is LoT2 also a horrible massive grindfest like the first one was?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hivac posted:

So is LoT2 also a horrible massive grindfest like the first one was?

Not nearly as much. If you're clever with setups (also secretly get Kasen) you'll never need to grind. There's far more customization too.
Honestly, I think even the first game wasn't that bad if you weren't planning on doing optional/post-game stuff. I mean, I've seen a few videos or playthroughs with low level or "weaker" characters being used without too much trouble (obviously it's not optimal).

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

HGH posted:

Not nearly as much. If you're clever with setups (also secretly get Kasen) you'll never need to grind. There's far more customization too.
Honestly, I think even the first game wasn't that bad if you weren't planning on doing optional/post-game stuff. I mean, I've seen a few videos or playthroughs with low level or "weaker" characters being used without too much trouble (obviously it's not optimal).

I hope so. I remember hearing about people eventually just cheating exp into the game because of the absolutely absurd requirements that eventually needed to be met.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hivac posted:

I hope so. I remember hearing about people eventually just cheating exp into the game because of the absolutely absurd requirements that eventually needed to be met.

That was only for the extreme post-game. Or maybe Eientei/Rinnosuke if you were a scrub :smug:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A big thing about LoT1 is that the creator actually intended you to fumble around for a fairly long time trying to figure out the floor puzzles on your own(and thus fighting through mobs on the way), so if you use a walkthrough and go straight from point A to point B you can end up pretty underleveled. None of the main game stuff requires you to be really high leveled besides maybe the last two or three bosses if you're not good at coming up with clever party setups.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 12, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ranpire posted:

YESSS

Stelas posted:

YESSS

Truly a great time to be a Touhou fan :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's a terrible time! I have no time to play such a long game right now!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I believe the story is that he heard anecdotes about people paying high shipping prices to import the games and thought they were being ripped off by the middleman so he decided to make it easier.

Zun seems like a pretty cool dude.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Potsticker posted:

It's a terrible time! I have no time to play such a long game right now!

To be fair, you could probably just wait for the expansion to come out and be translated first.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Just got TH14 through Playism. Unfortunately, the game seems to be crashing immediately upon startup. Anyone else attempted this yet?

e: The downloaded copy I already had works fine. I wonder what changed.

ee: Fixed! It was an issue with the directory name. I have legal Touhou.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Remember that if you don't have your computer in Japanese locale, the game will crash like his did since it's a non-unicode program and the directory name becomes invalid gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Elliotw2 posted:

Remember that if you don't have your computer in Japanese locale, the game will crash like his did since it's a non-unicode program and the directory name becomes invalid gibberish.

No, you only need to extract the download-file, and rename the directory in it to something simple. No Japanese locale required.
I'm on a Swedish system, so maybe there is something extra unicode:y going on there I'm not aware of though.