Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

How are you surprised that Sedan"the Obamas' marriage is a loveless power conspiracy/W was an unabashed genius"Chair is not backing down from an outrageous/poorly-thought through comment?

He did come up with the incredibly profound and original theory that presidents are evil sociopaths in the Middle East thread.

Robin Williams being dead makes me sadder than making GBS threads on SedanChair makes me happy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

How are you surprised that Sedan"the Obamas' marriage is a loveless power conspiracy/W was an unabashed genius"Chair is not backing down from an outrageous/poorly-thought through comment?

Come on now, this is clearly a tasteless and ill-timed remark, whereas those are just God's truth.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

Come on now, this is clearly a tasteless and ill-timed remark, whereas those are just God's truth.

See, this is just what I was talking about.

Majorian posted:

He did come up with the incredibly profound and original theory that presidents are evil sociopaths in the Middle East thread.

I was trying to be concise.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can't pass judgment until I go up to Montreal and try it. You will, of course, pay travel and lodging expenses, I presume.

Fine, but you have to stay in Ottawa. I'm not paying Montreal hotel prices. :signings: :quebec:

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 12, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

False flag suicide.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pretty sure that's the first use of "bangarang" in a Presidential statement.

I would love to be proven wrong about that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

The New Deal was actually called The Bangarang Plan To Fix poo poo

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The funny guy is dead. It makes me very sad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Fine, but you have to stay in Ottawa. I'm not paying Montreal hotel prices. :signings: :quebec:

Ottawa isn't even in Quebec, you rascal!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Discendo Vox posted:

Bar exams are very similar. Each jurisdiction(the states and the others)'s bar association runs their own version of the bar exam. Since they're run and administered by jurisdiction, they're not very well-run or coherent, and the rules and processes are really outdated (DC doesn't allow computers for the essay day of the exam, but if you fill out a form and send an additional fee you can bring one of the approved models of electric typewriter!).

Most states use some or all of the Multistate Exam, a partially uniform version of the test. Since laws vary state to state and the multistate is uniform, it's not really based on anyone's law- instead, it's based on the "common" law, which for the purposes of the bar examiners means laws that were valid at some point in precolonial England. The multistate tests a whole range of areas of practice from Torts to Wills to Security Transactions. In reality, lawyers only know/practice the law in one or two areas. For the purpose of the bar, though, you need to have a complete, comprehensive knowledge of all "common" law in almost all areas of practice. As Warsazawa said, the worst part is that these areas arent'c overed equally or consistently. Want to know what's going to be on the bar exam? Tough. No one knows exactly what they'll cover.

The multistate is two six hour days- one day of essays and one day of multiple choice. Multiple choice is 400 questions covering seven areas of law. The essays are a group of 6 questions drawn from ~14 areas of law. It's physically impossible to know one of these areas completely- the examiners can ask questions on subjects they've never covered before- now imagine spending six hours pouring your brains into six questions drawn from all areas of law. The essay day also includes a "Multistate Performance Test" which gives you a set of facts, a brand new set of laws, and tells you to draft a legal document required by thew situation. The MPT can also be in any area of law. It's included in the 6 hours of the essay part of the exam- I forget how the time divvies up.

I was lucky- DC only has the multistate exam, even if it's got relatively high score cutoffs and is badly administered. Many states add their own state-law-specific version of the exam on top of the multistate, and these tend to be infamously badly made. South Carolina is famous for repeatedly making such bad essay questions on their exam that they have to basically waive their part of the test, because the questions were so vague, and answers so diverse, that it was impossible to grade fairly.

It's a long story- I had a reason at the time. Fortunately, the rationale no longer applies, so if I didn't pass I will be following your advice and applying to a multistate jurisdiction with a nice high pass rate and nice low score cutoffs.

This is very similar to the structure of Civil Engineering licensure exams. Similar pass rates too, typically 50-60% but for those retaking the test it is much, much lower. You never know which areas are going to be covered, so for example, civil engineers with a focus on structural engineering have a morning multiple choice section (4 hours) covering every topic, from sewage treatment, soil remediation, green building, hydraulics, everything, but not equally balanced always within each topic. The afternoon long-form problem section you pick in your specialty (structural, geotechnical, transportation, surveying, water resources, environmental...I think that's all of them). In structural you end up with analysis questions, then design and evaluation questions about material systems, all with their own codes and standards (Wood, Masonry, Concrete, Steel). Not all of these are covered, and many require the manuals. By this point to have every resource you need you're talking a couple of dozen books.

Many test-takers make strategic decisions not to practice some classes of problems because they have a range of percent for each major topic in the morning section. I, like many others, came from a school that did not have a transportation program or a surveying program, period. So I never learned about driver reaction times and road design, so I'd have to start cold. I basically studied enough to use cheat sheets for gimme questions but that's it. But say you studied structural save for wood, and 25% of your afternoon questions were about wood design, you're hosed.

What makes this even more fun is just to get to take the test, you have to pass the FE exam, an eight hour multiple choice test either on very difficult questions in civil engineering or mechanical engineering or whatever your bachelors will be in, OR, you can opt to take a test on general engineering and physics, which most do. That test is a race against the clock really.

On top of that, if you are a civil engineer in California, you have to take additional three hour tests in surveying and seismic principles, further complicating things. If you are a structural engineer in practice, there are currently about eight states that require one more license in Structural engineering, with the civil PE as a prerequisite. That test is 16 hours over two days, and has a pass rate in the 20-40% range, costs a fuckload, and you see people bringing file cabinets on wheels to complete the test. This license lets you sign off on large occupancy or high hazard structures. I think you can design single or two-family homes with just a civil license but not much more.

The vast majority of engineering licensees are civil engineers, and it utterly amazes me that almost nothing aside from buildings requires a license in engineering. Automakers don't need to have a bunch of licensed engineers, barely any at all. Computer science is basically devoid of any licensing requirements and safety-related software has been exploding over the years. It really boggles my mind.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SedanChair posted:

Let's all have well-considered original ideas like "if only gays would quit gaying it up so hard."

My primary weakness as a poster is not recognizing that a number of folks in DnD, thanks to a constant diet of threads devoted to mocking right-wing talking points, have a tendency to glaze over long words or complicated sentences and assume that a thing that isn't immediately amenable to their ill-defined justice intuitions must be a vaguely similar right-wing talking point. At times folks here aren't good at separating prescription from description, consequentialism from deontology, rhetoric from policy. It's my fault, I should have accommodated this. Like most federal agencies, I need to start getting my posts proofread down to a seventh-grade reading level. In the future, I'll spend more time making my arguments clear, my implicit frame transitions explicit, and my explanations ordered. I look forward to your ignoring my efforts, and many more inaccurate custom titles, in the years ahead.

To wit:

That's not what I was arguing. Reread that series of posts more closely, and consider the possibility that I'm not the idiot you've assumed me to be.

Joementum posted:

So long as it isn't the last. Personally, I'd like to see more top secret military operations named after pop culture references.

"Operation Enduring Ultraviolence is a go"

Blindeye posted:

Licensure :words:

I think a factor in crummy licensing systems is that they're not amenable to revision for a large number of reasons. In part, they simultaneously serve as a market control on the supply of professionals in a field, while also ostensibly acting as a test of qualifications. This division of purpose alone explains a lot of the less sensible elements of how these exams are designed and run.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 12, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

My primary weakness as a poster is not recognizing that a number of folks in DnD, thanks to a constant diet of threads devoted to mocking right-wing talking points, have a tendency to glaze over long words or complicated sentences and assume that a thing that isn't immediately amenable to their ill-defined justice intuitions must be a vaguely similar right-wing talking point. At times folks here aren't good at separating prescription from description, consequentialism from deontology, rhetoric from policy. It's my fault, I should have accommodated this. Like most federal agencies, I need to start getting my posts proofread down to a seventh-grade reading level. In the future, I'll spend more time making my arguments clear, my implicit frame transitions explicit, and my explanations ordered. I look forward to your ignoring my efforts, and many more inaccurate custom titles, in the years ahead.

To wit:

That's not what I was arguing. Reread that series of posts more closely, and consider the possibility that I'm not the idiot you've assumed me to be.

You know, I am usually very sympathetic to you, and am not a big fan of SedanChair, so I hope you will take this with that in mind: just drop it, Jesus Tittyfucking Christ. That argument was terrible, it was all the things people were saying it was, and it's not about you not talking down to "our level", it's you having poor understanding of the topic, and an inability to know when to stop, for the Sake of a Loving and Merciful gently caress.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

To wit:

So long as it isn't the last. Personally, I'd like to see more top secret military operations named after pop culture references.

"Operation Enduring Ultraviolence is a go"

On the topic of your custom title and that whole debate, did you read Soucek's Perceived Homosexuals: Looking Gay Enough for Title VII? From a jurisprudential standpoint, "looking gay" is arguably pretty much the only (if still uncertain) way to get civil rights protections where explicit sexual orientation claims are not allowed.

quote:

Under the conventional view of Title VII, gay and lesbian workers can bring discrimination claims based on gender stereotyping but not sexual orientation. This Article analyzes 117 court cases on gender stereotyping in the workplace in order to show that the conventional view is wrong. In cases brought by “perceived homosexuals,” courts distinguish not between gender stereotyping and sexual orientation claims, but between two ways that violations of gender norms can be perceived: either as something literally seen or as something cognitively understood. This Article shows that plaintiffs who “look gay” often find protection under Title VII, while plaintiffs thought to violate gender norms — through known or suspected sexual activity, friendships, hobbies, or choice of partner — almost never win.

By privileging appearances over identity, these cases run counter to theories of antidiscrimination law that favor blindness and assimilation, and they upend accounts of “covering” that are widely accepted in discussions of law and sexuality. These cases reverse courts’ usual hostility to appearance claims, especially Title VII challenges to makeup and grooming requirements, as well as courts’ usual sympathy to claims based on activities like child rearing, known to take place outside of work. Meanwhile, on a practical level, these cases threaten to increase the salience of sexual orientation in the workplace; help entrench the stereotypes they are meant to proscribe; and isolate the claims of successful Title VII litigants from the more assimilationist demands made by gay plaintiffs in areas like marriage, adoption, and military service. As courts have quietly begun granting protection to only the most visible subset of gay workers, this Article asks: at what cost, both to LBGT workers and to ongoing debates over the protections those workers should receive under federal law?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

i hadn't read it, but i did now and i've come to the conclusion that you're an idiot but not the idiot you think we assume you are.

kill all lawyers, drink their blood, eat their hearts

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

i hadn't read it, but i did now and i've come to the conclusion that you're an idiot but not the idiot you think we assume you are.

kill all lawyers, drink their blood, eat their hearts

What hearts?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

good point, i withdraw the heart-eating.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbW5sxyu9bU&t=11s

Let our powers combine!

Obfuscatory prose!

Appalled blathering!

Condescension!

Running away from the argument!

Heart!

YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM DISCENDO VOX!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

goddamnit sedanchair we just made the joke about heart don't gently caress this up i'm so goddamn angry now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm not really, i don't care enough

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
You guys Sedanchair is hilarious so long as he's not posting about you know what. It took me a while to realize this, what with the you know what being so terrible

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Defenestration posted:

You guys Sedanchair is hilarious so long as he's not posting about you know what. It took me a while to realize this, what with the you know what being so terrible

I would know what... but I'm Jon Snow. :v:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Defenestration posted:

is you know what everything?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

man i'm in a harsh mood. not very zen. well, i'm going to bed. g'night

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

As a child, I enjoyed the Captain Planet cartoon program

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Most D&D posters have some sort of secret button that turns them into complete insufferable zealots and/or pedants when a certain topic is broached. For some people it's guns, other people Israel, other people the CIA, and so on. Excepting fishmech, because he's always like that.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Trigger Warning: mid-birth-baby-raping

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

StandardVC10 posted:

Most D&D posters have some sort of secret button that turns them into complete insufferable zealots and/or pedants when a certain topic is broached. For some people it's guns, other people Israel, other people the CIA, and so on. Excepting fishmech, because he's always like that.

I'll be the first to admit that I will literally start shouting and pounding a table IRL about the necessity of nuclear energy for the safe future of mankind dammit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
List of people who sadly have not (as of this writing) asphyxiated themselves due to crippling depression:

Tom Friedman
Bill Kristol
Dick Cheney
(cont'd)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Warszawa posted:

On the topic of your custom title and that whole debate, did you read Soucek's Perceived Homosexuals: Looking Gay Enough for Title VII? From a jurisprudential standpoint, "looking gay" is arguably pretty much the only (if still uncertain) way to get civil rights protections where explicit sexual orientation claims are not allowed.

I'll give this a look, thanks.

ReindeerF posted:

List of people who sadly have not (as of this writing) asphyxiated themselves due to crippling depression:

Tom Friedman
Bill Kristol
Dick Cheney
(cont'd)

Ironically, self-asphxiation was the cause of Cheney's first heart transplant, although it wasn't depression-related.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll give this a look, thanks.

Ironically, self-asphxiation was the cause of Cheney's first heart transplant, although it wasn't depression-related.

Did it jump out of his throat and try to strangle him itself?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

I'll be the first to admit that I will literally start shouting and pounding a table IRL about the necessity of nuclear energy for the safe future of mankind dammit.

I agree with you, but not with your tone.

ReindeerF posted:

Tom Friedman
Bill Kristol
Dick Cheney
(cont'd)

Yair Lapid

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Tom Friedman
Bill Kristol
Dick Cheney
(cont'd)

David Frum
Joe Lieberman

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Barack Hussein Obama II :unsmigghh:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I think a factor in crummy licensing systems is that they're not amenable to revision for a large number of reasons. In part, they simultaneously serve as a market control on the supply of professionals in a field, while also ostensibly acting as a test of qualifications. This division of purpose alone explains a lot of the less sensible elements of how these exams are designed and run.

I think you also have to factor in the fact that ever since these folks have been in undergrad, they've been subjected to the hazing ritual known as the weed out course. It's a great way to enable a hearty FYGM attitude - after all, if I had to suffer through that poo poo, why shouldn't everyone else?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i am going to watch death to smoochie tonight, to honor departed actor robin williams

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

i am going to watch death to smoochie tonight, to honor departed actor robin williams

Surely Hook is the better choice.

Also:
wwwexwe. {{|.={|=32{
- /

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 12, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

You gotta be careful loading up the burning baby-altar at Bohemian Grove, that thing'll back up on you.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Surely Hook is the better choice.

Nope, Death To Smoochie not only has Williams but Edward Norton, Danny DeVito, Harvey Fierstein, Danny Woodburn, Vincent Schiavelli and Jon Stewart as Jon Stewart trying to act.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MariusLecter posted:

Nope, Death To Smoochie not only has Williams but Edward Norton, Danny DeVito, Harvey Fierstein, Danny Woodburn, Vincent Schiavelli and Jon Stewart as Jon Stewart trying to act.

I have never watched it an it is therefore bad.

Okay I will go and watch it at some point.

• Locked thread