Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess from a quick reading of the marvelpedia article on his "Canonical" father, J'Son of Spartoi, who are apparently "a race similar to the Shi'ar", is that they're going to conflate the Shi'ar and the Spartoi and make his dad a birdman angel / dude with feathers.

Marvel is willing to be flexible with characters to make the films appeal to a broad audience. It'd be neat if they made Starfox his dad, because of the connection to Thanos. Plus, Starfox's power over others' emotions would jibe with running around the galaxy getting women pregnant, and leaving them feeling starstruck. Being a Titan also has the 'ancient' thing.

Plus, you know, the whole a-hole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Starfox being a character would explain why Thanos hangs out at Final Destination.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Away all Goats posted:

I don't see why, the part where Thanos turns off most of the powers the gauntlet gives him so he can have a punching match with the heroes would translate great as an action scene. Especially when it ends with everyone down and defeated and Captain America alone striding up to Thanos and still challenging him. Also making them seem weak and ineffectual is kind of the point. Thanos is literally God at that point.

Agreed - the whole fight would translate very well on the movie screen, but that Captain America moment is one they have to include, or at least something similar.

Infinity Gauntlet spoilers ahoy:

http://i.imgur.com/LCulPS3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GaLl0sN.jpg

and a Bonus Badass Thanos Moment:

http://i.imgur.com/Yg6kT6X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ou0gZe6.jpg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nycticeius posted:

Agreed - the whole fight would translate very well on the movie screen, but that Captain America moment is one they have to include, or at least something similar.

Infinity Gauntlet spoilers ahoy:

http://i.imgur.com/LCulPS3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GaLl0sN.jpg

and a Bonus Badass Thanos Moment:

http://i.imgur.com/Yg6kT6X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ou0gZe6.jpg

Norse God in Full Armor, Man Literally Made of Fire, Technological Genius in Insanely Advanced Suit, and

Half-Naked Dude in a Speedo.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah but isn't he the prince of fish or is that the other extra lame one

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AnonSpore posted:

Norse God in Full Armor, Man Literally Made of Fire, Technological Genius in Insanely Advanced Suit, and

Half-Naked Dude in a Speedo.

I will not have you insult Namor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dexo posted:

I will not have you insult Namor.

Yeah when there is fucken Thunderstrike right there!
Namor is currently busy blowing up earths to care.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I read the wikipedia on how Thanos gets defeated and boy I hope the movie comes up with something better.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

NmareBfly posted:

You just need any cassette recorder with an analog mic in plug. Then get a male-male mini plug cable and run if from your computer's headphone jack to the mic in. Press play on your MP3 player of choice and record on the tape player, then wait for an hour. You might have to flip the tape at some point.

Yeah it's super easy, just use that cable to hook up your old stereo (or if yer a young'n, older sibling/parent's) to your computer, and soon you'll be rocking out like a bad-rear end hipster-king!

Anyways, Guardians was really fun and easily the best superhero movie since Man of Steel, although some of the hype I'm gonna have to chalk up to delirium. It's definitely as good if not better than Men in Black or Ghostbusters, but The 5th Element or motherfucking Star Wars?? C'mon nerds, it's not even close, learn to control your poo poo please, it's embarrassing

I will type up my full thoughts in a bit, once I've read some more of the thread.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I read the wikipedia on how Thanos gets defeated and boy I hope the movie comes up with something better.

Squirrel Girl

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Black Bones posted:

Anyways, Guardians was really fun and easily the best superhero movie since Man of Steel,
I prefer to think of it as the best Star Wars film since Serenity.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago and I'm not ashamed to say this movie almost made me cry when he read the letter at the end that told us why he wants to be called Star-Lord.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Steve Yun posted:

I think the way he's defeated is one of the best parts of the story. Thanos is constantly getting his hands on these incredibly powerful weapons (Cosmic Cube, Infinity Gems twice) and each time even though he's basically God he gets beat. The reason for this is that Thanos is aware that he is not worthy of that power and he subconsciously puts himself in positions where he'll be defeated. The second time he gets the Infinity Gems, which is the Infinity Gauntlet story all of this seems to be leading to, he beats all the heroes easily and then wipes out all the cosmic entities such as Galactus, Celestials, Kronos, Death (who turns against him), and many other of the abstract entities in the Marvel books. Finally he comes face to face with Eternity, who in Marvel is the embodiment of the universe. Thanos then handily beats him as well and takes his place. When he does this he leaves his body behind and pretty much just becomes God. It's his greatest victory and finally everything that he thought he wanted. But he has left Nebula and Starfox (his brother) alive as witnesses and Nebula, who for an earlier betrayal had been turned into a walking corpse, grabs the Infinity Gauntlet off his now lifeless body and then undoes everything he's done. After all his boasting and after defeating all of the greatest forces in the universe and becoming God Thanos has let the person that was least threatening to him beat him at the moment where he was most powerful. Thanos then works with the heroes he had been against to get the Gauntlet from Nebula since she's kind of crazy. He then fakes his death after realizing why these things never work for him and tries to live a peaceful life of solitude. Of course this doesn't last for long.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gregday posted:

I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago and I'm not ashamed to say this movie almost made me cry when he read the letter at the end that told us why he wants to be called Star-Lord.

The part I found weird about this is that he opened the letter a long time ago but never opened the present for some reason.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wonder if they'll just go full Star Wars and make Thanos Peter's father.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RatHat posted:

The part I found weird about this is that he opened the letter a long time ago but never opened the present for some reason.

Nah I get it. The wrapped present is a more powerful emotion-bringer because it could be anything, y'know? When a present is still just a present, it represents the relationship--once a gift is unwrapped it becomes about what's in it, not the fact that it *is*.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I wonder if they'll just go full Star Wars and make Thanos Peter's father.

nah it's Groot

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
His mom told him to open the present "when I'm gone". The fact that he chose to open it only at the end of the film is symbolic of the fact that he finally has a surrogate family and is ready to let her go.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don't think that letter is the first time she called him Star Lord, just the first we saw it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Deadpool posted:

I think the way he's defeated is one of the best parts of the story. Thanos is constantly getting his hands on these incredibly powerful weapons (Cosmic Cube, Infinity Gems twice) and each time even though he's basically God he gets beat. The reason for this is that Thanos is aware that he is not worthy of that power and he subconsciously puts himself in positions where he'll be defeated. The second time he gets the Infinity Gems, which is the Infinity Gauntlet story all of this seems to be leading to, he beats all the heroes easily and then wipes out all the cosmic entities such as Galactus, Celestials, Kronos, Death (who turns against him), and many other of the abstract entities in the Marvel books. Finally he comes face to face with Eternity, who in Marvel is the embodiment of the universe. Thanos then handily beats him as well and takes his place. When he does this he leaves his body behind and pretty much just becomes God. It's his greatest victory and finally everything that he thought he wanted. But he has left Nebula and Starfox (his brother) alive as witnesses and Nebula, who for an earlier betrayal had been turned into a walking corpse, grabs the Infinity Gauntlet off his now lifeless body and then undoes everything he's done. After all his boasting and after defeating all of the greatest forces in the universe and becoming God Thanos has let the person that was least threatening to him beat him at the moment where he was most powerful. Thanos then works with the heroes he had been against to get the Gauntlet from Nebula since she's kind of crazy. He then fakes his death after realizing why these things never work for him and tries to live a peaceful life of solitude. Of course this doesn't last for long.

I could definitely see the Nebula bit staying in if they make her less a cipher of a character but yeah sorry mate the rest of this sounds like the sort of thing I stopped thinking made a cool story around age five, they'll need to clean it up a lot to bring it to twelve-year-old standards

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Black Bones posted:

Anyways, Guardians was really fun and easily the best superhero movie since Man of Steel, although some of the hype I'm gonna have to chalk up to delirium. It's definitely as good if not better than Men in Black or Ghostbusters, but The 5th Element or motherfucking Star Wars?? C'mon nerds, it's not even close, learn to control your poo poo please, it's embarrassing

Ghostbusters is much better than Fifth Element and Man of Steel wasn't good at all so it almost sounds like you're making a jab at Guardians of the Galaxy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Ghostbusters is much better than Fifth Element and Man of Steel wasn't good at all so it almost sounds like you're making a jab at Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yeah. This was the best Marvel film to date but it was no Ghostbusters. Definitely better than Fifth Element though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thought it was an immensely satisfying movie, the only changes that bothered me(Nova Corps, Drax's Origin and Cosmo) I can at least understand why they changed around what they did.

And at least with Drax I'm still kind of hoping for a fake out in the next movie to tie it back in to his original origin.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spiritus Nox posted:

All I'm confused about is how the gently caress they're going to handle Thanos when he actually gets to do things. It seems like a sure bet that he's going to get at least a few, if not all of the infinity stones, and given that he's described as not even needing one to destroy a planet, I'm struggling to figure how someone like Captain America or Iron Man or even Thor, probably the most powerful Marvel hero we've seen, is going to be able to put a dent in him - I've gotten the impression that things start to get pretty Gurren Lagann when Thanos gets all the stones in the comics, and that seems like a pretty radical shift in scope from any of the previous movies.

Literally have Hulk get so huge and angry he body rips Thanos in half and throws the halves into opposing ends of the known galaxy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The argument that Yondu is Quill's father is literally the dumbest thing on CD since... well since the last really stupid misreading of a mainstream movie. Maybe something from Godzilla or Days of Future Past?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Josh Lyman posted:

The argument that Yondu is Quill's father is literally the dumbest thing on CD since... well since the last really stupid misreading of a mainstream movie. Maybe something from Godzilla or Days of Future Past?

It's the dumbest thing on CD since that other thing in this very thread about Rocket having a wife and child that also died.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If the collector is immortal why the gently caress would it have mortal slaves to constantly reteach how to scrub plexiglass. Shouldn't he have had robots or cyborgs at best?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

If the collector is immortal why the gently caress would it have mortal slaves to constantly reteach how to scrub plexiglass. Shouldn't he have had robots or cyborgs at best?

Because he's a real dick.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

It's the dumbest thing on CD since that other thing in this very thread about Rocket having a wife and child that also died.
Oh yeah. I completely blocked that from my memory. :suicide:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheJoker138 posted:

Because he's a real dick.

So his sense of purpose is really being a boss of house keepers. He didn't sound nearly so horrible in the wiki. Cosmic marvel is complicated.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Neo Rasa posted:

Literally have Hulk get so huge and angry he body rips Thanos in half and throws the halves into opposing ends of the known galaxy.

Puny god.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Someone might even have to learn the moonwalk to contend with that kind of power

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there some sort of subtext for The Collector in the comics where he's supposed to be an audience representative, a symbol for nerds collecting comics and toys and being extra anal-retentive about keeping them in mint condition?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Is there some sort of subtext for The Collector in the comics where he's supposed to be an audience representative, a symbol for nerds collecting comics and toys and being extra anal-retentive about keeping them in mint condition?

No, that's purely from the film.

e: On second thought, in the comics, his role as a collector was initially altruistic, with the aims of preserving the universe's history and cultures in the event of a great calamity, but he eventually lost sight of this as billions of years passed by. You could interpret this as analogous to how nerds, as they obsess over "mint condition" and the like, losing sight of why they initially collected comics and associated memorabilia in the first place (out of love and enjoyment of the medium). That's still a different interpretation from the Taneleer Tivan Benicio del Toro portrays, or at least, what we know of him from Thor 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 12, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. This was the best Marvel film to date but it was no Ghostbusters. Definitely better than Fifth Element though.

I'm going to agree with you but "better than Fifth Element" is incredibly high praise coming from me. Not all of the jokes landed, the introduction and back-story of some of the Guardians was severely rushed (out of necessity) , and Pace's Ronan was a ham-fisted caricature that only worked because of how all the other characters reacted to him.

That said, to me, GotG was the best marvel or superhero movie I'd ever seen. As if the movie didn't have enough character on it's own the infusion of a superb 70s soundtrack just put this film over the top. It was the height of fun. I even plan on going to see it a second time, which is something I never do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

First Bass posted:

No, that's purely from the film

Actually I didn't think there was much to it in the film. I think it was one of those straight-to-video animated movies that played up the nerdy toy collector angle, but I can't remember which one.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Actually I didn't think there was much to it in the film. I think it was one of those straight-to-video animated movies that played up the nerdy toy collector angle, but I can't remember which one.

He's made an appearance on an episode of the Disney XD cartoon Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., which I know solely from Wikipedia on account of the fact that that show is physically painful for me to watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alright, for all you soundtrack :spergin:s like me, I got my playlist to what I think is pretty close if not the correct track listing for the whole soundtrack. The bolded songs are the non score ones, obviously.

I'm Not in Love
To the Stars
Marvel Studios Fanfare
Morag
Come And Get Your Love
Plasma Ball
Quill's Big Retreat
Ronan's Theme
Everyone's an Idiot
What a Bunch of A-Holes
Busted
The New Meat
Hooked On A Feeling
The Destroyer
Sanctuary
The Kyln Escape
Don't Mess With My Walkman
Escape The Pina Colada Song
The Great Companion
The Road To Knowhere
Moonage Daydream
Fool Around and Fell in Love
The Collector
Ronan's Arrival
The Pod Chase
Sacrifice
We All Got Dead People
Cherry Bomb
The Final Battle Begins
The Ballad of the Nova Corps
Groot Spores
Guardians United
The Big Blast
Groot Cocoon
Black Tears
O-O-H Child
Citizens Unite
A Nova Upgrade
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
I Want You Back

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I do find it funny that I bought the Mixtape soundtrack on iTunes and in order to play it in my car I have to use a cassette adapter on my iPod touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steve Yun posted:

There was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror short that cast Comic Book Guy as a villain called the Collector. It's a pretty obvious riff.

• Locked thread