Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All I'm saying is that I fully support adary's right to defend himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

nsaP posted:

All I'm saying is that I fully support adary's right to defend himself

He should build some sort of iron dome over his bike.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

He should build some sort of iron dome over his bike.

He would probably need a wealthy backer of some kind to fund an ambitious motorcycle-defense project like that.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 11, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'm sure he has some sort of solution.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
These j*ws are getting out of hand!!!!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not seeing a lot of resitance to lateral flex there unless the Harley gearbox and bottom end is really ridiculously overengineered, which seems unlikely given just how meaty the wraparound section of the Buell frame is. Fairly sure Harley engines aren't normally stressed at all, so gently caress knows what that does to things.

I bet the Buell frame could be slimmer if it didn't need to hold 5 gallons of fuel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

I bet the Buell frame could be slimmer if it didn't need to hold 5 gallons of fuel.

Yours holds five gallons? My holds a goddamn thimbleful.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

I have a real-deal gas tank, and I can only go 60-75 miles before hitting reserve. :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah that was hyperbole, it's 4.5 from dead to brimmed. I think there's a quarter gallon that hides in the right spar too.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Goddamn terrible day for me and motorcycles. I was hammering away at all the rusted in screws on my carb with an impact screwdriver and through all the hammering the clock in the garage fell, right onto my previously non-dented but internally rusted fuel tank. I was going to take it to the shop and have it professionally cleaned and lined but now it doesn't seem worth it. :smith: GS450 tanks without dents and/or just as much rust are expensive unicorns.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Even if the humor in them fell a little short of target

So its about as accurate as hamas rockets?

OR

So its about as accurate as IDF rockets?

You people decide which one is more funny/sad/stupid

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

So its about as accurate as hamas rockets?

OR

So its about as accurate as IDF rockets?

You people decide which one is more funny/sad/stupid

The Hamas one is funny because it lands in a field somewhere and doesn't explode.

The IDF one is sad because it lands in a school somewhere and explodes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Woah woah woah what is going on here, what is the I/P conflict being brought up for? Leave politics out of this fellas, we're trying to chat about bikes.

Jeez.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 11, 2014

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
This is all fun and games guys but seriously it looks like we've finally figured out if a harley with open headers is worse than a war crime

(like the war crimes being perpetrated literally at the moment you're reading this in the brutal genocide of palestinians by israel and all of the citizens of israel including the poster Adary.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dictionar.com posted:

...open headers...war crime

Something something geneva convention.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've been thinking more about what Adary did, and I've decided I disapprove. You'd think an Israelite of all people would know that messing with gas is pretty hosed up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well that about wraps that up, since we've moved to obvious holocaust jokes

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, just had easily the worst experience I've ever had with a cyclist.

I was heading down Lookout Mountain in Golden - it's a short, very twisty road that leads up to a local summit/overlook. The speed limit is 20 MPH. As I'm engine braking down the hill behind a poky Isuzu SUV, a lycra-clad, waxed-legs cyclist passes me in my own lane, on the left, in a double yellow. If I had to, or wanted to, swerve around in my lane, I would have run him over and he'd probably have taken me with him.

As we get down to the flat portion, I open my helmet and ride along him:

:v: - "Dude, passing me in my own lane isn't safe."
:supaburn: - "You know what, man! gently caress YOU! I've had enough of your... PULL OVER! PULL OVER NOW!"
:v: - "What? I said..."
:supaburn: - (foam literally forming around his mouth) "Oh what, did I scare you? I've got a bike too. gently caress you, you little bitch!"
:v: - "I can't wait until someone turns your rear end into chunky salsa." ~~speeds away~~

I've always felt some solidarity with my fellow two wheelers, but now I completely understand why people want to drive them into a ditch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

I was heading down Lookout Mountain in Golden - it's a short, very twisty road that leads up to a local summit/overlook. The speed limit is 20 MPH. As I'm engine braking down the hill behind a poky Isuzu SUV, a lycra-clad, waxed-legs cyclist passes me in my own lane, on the left, in a double yellow. If I had to, or wanted to, swerve around in my lane, I would have run him over and he'd probably have taken me with him.

:supaburn: - "You know what, man! gently caress YOU! I've had enough of your... PULL OVER! PULL OVER NOW!"
:supaburn: - (foam literally forming around his mouth) "Oh what, did I scare you? I've got a bike too. gently caress you, you little bitch!"
:v: - "I can't wait until someone turns your rear end into chunky salsa." ~~speeds away~~

I've always felt some solidarity with my fellow two wheelers, but now I completely understand why people want to drive them into a ditch.

I'd recommend pulling over with him next time. You're armored and he isn't, and if he has got a weapon it will certainly be interesting finding out where it is hidden. :goatsecx:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Radbot posted:

I don't know if I could've resisted pushing the little wanker over. Seriously. I can feel myself getting irritated just reading your post.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Irritated? It's adorable and hilarious. I'd pull over out of fascination for what he'd do next.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Radbot posted:

:master:

There was one time I was coming to a stop at a junction to turn left, and when I was ready and pulling away a cyclist zoomed right up next to me on my left where I nearly mowed him down during the turn. Just back off and wait, jesus what's the rush?

Though this was balanced out in the city centre where I stopped at some lights alongside a cyclist decked out with a helmet and hi-vis etc, when another cyclist sailed on through in a T-shirt into a crowd; the guy next to me yelled out to him "IT'S CALLED A RED RIGHT YOU FUCKIN' DICKHEAD" which made the idiot turn around and do the "what did I do?" arms out shrug. I would've laughed out loud but it would've been a disservice to this guy's righteous indignation.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm pretty much done being mad at retard bicyclists, if they want to buy me a new bumper or pay my medical bills, their next of kin can be my guest.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

You are a better man than I. I'd probably have downshifted so my exhaust got really obnoxious and just cruised right in front of him.

This is also why my camera is (almost) always on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I had a truck try to race me from a stoplight yesterday. I'm accelerating in first and I look over to see him trying to ride me real close in the lane on my right. Shifted up to second and I never saw him again.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't ride at the moment (football injury), but I had a discussion with a person at a party last weekend, where she said (and I quote): "People that ride motorcycles are the most egotistic assholes possible, risking their lives just for fun without thinking of their loved ones."

dictionar.com posted:

like the war crimes being perpetrated literally at the moment you're reading this in the brutal genocide of palestinians by israel and all of the citizens of israel including the poster Adary.

loving hell man. The IP conflict is a shithole, but the attention it is getting on a global plane is absurd.

The deadliest conflict the world has experienced for more than fifty years, a conflict involving troops from nine countries, spanning a battlefield the size of Western Europe, and which has resulted in more than five million dead. The first two years of this war, where some 1.8 million people died, the New York Times published eleven times more articles about Israel-Palestine (2000 deaths during the same time) and CNN 53 times as many. Guess which war I'm talking about (without asking Papa Google)?

The IP conflict is one of the most over-reported conflicts in the world.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I wish any and all of these I/P posts in the motorcycle forum were over-reported

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll bite.

Sudan? Somalia? Afghanistan?

I wish everyone would just Levant let live.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Google free, my first guess would have been Cambodia/Kampuchea in the 70s, which I think had a similar number of deaths, but does not meet your criteria of multiple nations, etc. At this end of the atrocity spectrum, it hardly matters.

Once attended a lecture by Dith Pran. If you ever think you're having a bad day...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to go with Africa. Seems like there's always some nasty civil war going on there.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Some how I lost my key between the supermarket parking lot and my way back to the bike. I am a ADD addled nut job 99% of the time so I can't be completely surprised but it still annoyed the poo poo out of me.
Luckily I found a paperclip on the ground and jammed it into the plug coming out of my ignition switch so I could get it started and ride it home. I was slightly surprised that while I was futzing around playing with wires hanging out of the back of the gauge cluster no one walking around the parking lot even gave me a second glance. I could have just as easily have been jacking one of the other 4 bikes that I was parked next to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The deadliest conflict the world has experienced for more than fifty years, a conflict involving troops from nine countries, spanning a battlefield the size of Western Europe, and which has resulted in more than five million dead. The first two years of this war, where some 1.8 million people died, the New York Times published eleven times more articles about Israel-Palestine (2000 deaths during the same time) and CNN 53 times as many. Guess which war I'm talking about (without asking Papa Google)?

Is it the argument over planes on a treadmill?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bugdrvr posted:

I was slightly surprised that while I was futzing around playing with wires hanging out of the back of the gauge cluster no one walking around the parking lot even gave me a second glance. I could have just as easily have been jacking one of the other 4 bikes that I was parked next to.

Similarly, when have you ever heard a car alarm go off and assumed it was a car being stolen rather than rain, a cat, a loud bike, etc. has set it off by accident? If you want to steal poo poo from a car, just dress respectably, and when the alarm goes off just look embarrassed if there are any onlookers.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is it the argument over planes on a treadmill?

:golfclap:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't ride at the moment (football injury), but I had a discussion with a person at a party last weekend, where she said (and I quote): "People that ride motorcycles are the most egotistic assholes possible, risking their lives just for fun without thinking of their loved ones."

loving hell man. The IP conflict is a shithole, but the attention it is getting on a global plane is absurd.

The IP conflict is one of the most over-reported conflicts in the world.

This is a stumper, and I'm generally good with geo-politics stuff. CNN was reporting on this war so I imagine it was from the 70s onward?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bugdrvr posted:

I was slightly surprised that while I was futzing around playing with wires hanging out of the back of the gauge cluster no one walking around the parking lot even gave me a second glance. I could have just as easily have been jacking one of the other 4 bikes that I was parked next to.

I once took off while forgetting I had my chain tied around my back wheel, and thought I was stuck on Ice or something. Que the next 20 minutes trying to dislodge the lock out of the wheel and frame with my bare hands in the cold dark winter, around the side of a coffee shop in the city centre.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Super Slash posted:

I once took off while forgetting I had my chain tied around my back wheel, and thought I was stuck on Ice or something. Que the next 20 minutes trying to dislodge the lock out of the wheel and frame with my bare hands in the cold dark winter, around the side of a coffee shop in the city centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frv7TwQgY7I

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll bite.

Sudan? Somalia? Afghanistan?

I wish everyone would just Levant let live.

Akion posted:

I'm gonna have to go with Africa. Seems like there's always some nasty civil war going on there.

MoraleHazard posted:

This is a stumper, and I'm generally good with geo-politics stuff. CNN was reporting on this war so I imagine it was from the 70s onward?

It's the second Congo war together with it's subconflicts, the Ituri and Kivu conflicts, and the ongoing LRA insurgency.

My point is not that the Palestinians should man up because there's someone else that has it a lot worse, it's just very sad when people (out of a genuine belief) try to play off the IP conflict as the deadliest in the world, when the total death toll of the conflict since 1948 is lower than in anyone one month of 1999 in Congo.

As always, no one gives a gently caress about Africa.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cycle Asylum ranting chamber: geopolitical edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's the second Congo war together with it's subconflicts, the Ituri and Kivu conflicts, and the ongoing LRA insurgency.

My point is not that the Palestinians should man up because there's someone else that has it a lot worse, it's just very sad when people (out of a genuine belief) try to play off the IP conflict as the deadliest in the world, when the total death toll of the conflict since 1948 is lower than in anyone one month of 1999 in Congo.

As always, no one gives a gently caress about Africa.

Huh. My first guess was Rwandan genocide, but I knew the numbers were off for that. I'm not sure I'd include all those together, but no biggie.

Geirskogul posted:

Cycle Asylum ranting chamber: geopolitical edition.

Or rather, D&D light.