Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Checked 3 Walgreens today and no Agent Venoms. Are they typically in the toy sections or are the displays out elsewhere in the store?

They could be on any end cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus, there are 9 Walgreens in my town (two more in adjacent township). I checked ONE and was like "Man, gently caress this."

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Checked 3 Walgreens today and no Agent Venoms. Are they typically in the toy sections or are the displays out elsewhere in the store?

The box they come in is an endcap display, but I had to give them the stock number and have them pulled from the back.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, there are 9 Walgreens in my town (two more in adjacent township). I checked ONE and was like "Man, gently caress this."

I checked two, grabbed a Tyrion Lannister as a consolation prize, and called it a day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Yuk posted:

I checked two, grabbed a Tyrion Lannister as a consolation prize, and called it a day.

I saw a full display of those but I don't watch the show so I have no need for them.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I saw a full display of those but I don't watch the show so I have no need for them.

By all accounts, they're not especially difficult to come by. I'm hoping (but doubting) Venom will be the same way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Yuk posted:

By all accounts, they're not especially difficult to come by. I'm hoping (but doubting) Venom will be the same way.

I have two coming from the preorder, I just stopped looking for people in this thread.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
is mattycollector normally really slow about shipping? Still haven't shipped out my order from last Monday.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Rage posted:

Turns out Walgreens won't let you cancel half an online pre-order, so I will be getting two more whenever those ship out with my Boba Fetts, I'll gladly send one your way.

When you get them hit me with a PM and I'll take one.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bushifox posted:

is mattycollector normally really slow about shipping? Still haven't shipped out my order from last Monday.

There's a reason people say Matty's the worst. Yeah, it can take a week or so for shipping from them, if you haven't heard from them by the end of this week, I'd get concerned.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Added some 5 o'clock shadow to the Wolverine from the latest X-Men Legends wave, and I like it much better. It's amazing what a little bit of paint detail will do, which is my biggest complaint with Hasbro even though they've been mostly knocking it out of the park with sculpts for a while now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The heads on Wolverine and Magneto seem to be in the style of someone but I can't place it.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

The heads on Wolverine and Magneto seem to be in the style of someone but I can't place it.

Someone said Nick Bradshaw, and it looks about right to me.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Someone has offered me a complete set of League of Shadows ninja armor, including a metal sword, all of which was actually screen used. There were 30 sets of armor made, so it was probably worn by one of the faceless ninjas and not Bale or Neeson. The price is kind of high, but not as high as you might expect for screen used original pieces. So far all I own are very nice replicas, but I'm feeling like I might trade it all for a screen used set. I am so tempted it's burning me.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

gregday posted:

Someone has offered me a complete set of League of Shadows ninja armor, including a metal sword, all of which was actually screen used. There were 30 sets of armor made, so it was probably worn by one of the faceless ninjas and not Bale or Neeson. The price is kind of high, but not as high as you might expect for screen used original pieces. So far all I own are very nice replicas, but I'm feeling like I might trade it all for a screen used set. I am so tempted it's burning me.

For what it's worth, your pieces are amazing, and that thing looks cheap as hell. Also, the league of shadows armor also isn't as showy-- I don't think people that visit your place will have as much fun oohing and awwing at it. I mean whatever will make you happy, obviously, but that's my two cents.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

gregday posted:

Unless they have a certificate of authenticity that it was screen worn, gently caress 'em. No way to authenticate means it could very well have been made in some dudes garage.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

you have a nice replica set? What are you looking for out of it?

Also got the Jubilee arm from Louis today, now all I need is the storm piece.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

gregday posted:

I've had a lot of fun being a spectator on your quest to complete the suit and display over the years. If I were in your shoes I would definitely be tempted if it was verified to be screen-used, but I can't help but agree with Why cookie Rocket--it looks much less flashy and a little cheap compared to the poo poo you got set up.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Rage posted:

Unless they have a certificate of authenticity that it was screen worn, gently caress 'em. No way to authenticate means it could very well have been made in some dudes garage.

This especially. You're set looks baller as is, and unless they have some kind of proof of authenticity, you're likely just going to get ripped off. :(

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

I've had a lot of fun being a spectator on your quest to complete the suit and display over the years. If I were in your shoes I would definitely be tempted if it was verified to be screen-used, but I can't help but agree with Why cookie Rocket--it looks much less flashy and a little cheap compared to the poo poo you got set up.

But just to re-emphasize, your collection is yours, and only needs to make you happy. I'm just reminded of past trades I've made where I got rid of some really cool stuff because the item I hoped to gain was new (to me), and that newness led to a poor decision.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Thanks for the opinions guys. The suit in that photo does look cheap and fake, because that's just how movie props are. They aren't made to any sort of exacting level of quality because financially there's no reason to. The pieces are only going to be on screen for a few seconds to minutes at most, and especially in Batman movies, in low light, with awesome soundtrack blaring and the context of a great story making you think it's all real. Real life props look horrible in decent lighting. Even my stuff only looks good because of careful photography and post processing (Aperture, not Photoshop) and because when you see all the stuff together your mind builds a story around it. It's all various levels of pretend and trickery. Trust me, Batsuits in person, without the careful cinematography, look retarded as hell. A lot of times, replicas are way better than originals because they are made by fans as a labor of love; fans who want them to last a long time and feel real to the touch. Actual used movie props only exist to satisfy a temporary look and then no one cares if they dissolve into dust. The fun of owning an original is just in knowing its provenance, and occasionally admiring the design. The craftsmanship... a bit less.

That said, I've been studying the LoS gauntlets for nearly 10 ( :stonk: ) years and I've seen all the replicas out there. I've owned a set of "one off" (first generation cast off original) gauntlets and had time to study them and compare to screen grabs and official photos from SDCC and other WB/DC displays. There are definitely some subtle details that _all_ the fan replicas miss. Besides that, the seller is well known in the prop community and I know he has studio connections. Two other owners of LoS original armor have verified these are legit.

So no, unfortunately, no certificate of authenticity, so I'll have little means of convincing anyone else outside the inner sphere of collectors these are original should I ever try to sell them. It's mainly just personal satisfaction and pleasure at owning a piece of the magic.

BTW, there were 30 "stunt" pairs of gauntlets made like this, out of high shore hard urethane with molded in fins. Then 2 pairs in fiberglass for hero shot closeups during the ice training scene. I believe WB still owns the fiberglass sets. No actual metal ones were ever made. However, I'm back into discussions with my blacksmith/armorer and we've been trying to see about making some real, true to life, steel and bronze LoS ninja gauntlets with the hand guards and all the inlay details. We'll see how that goes. Might take 2 more years to hammer everything out ( :lol: )

gregday fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been looking through some old stuff, and man mini-busts kinda died off, huh? I imagine a large part of it is Palisades dying, but you couldn't turn a page in Previews 10-12 years ago without a bunch of mini-busts being announced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nut Bunnies posted:

I've been looking through some old stuff, and man mini-busts kinda died off, huh? I imagine a large part of it is Palisades dying, but you couldn't turn a page in Previews 10-12 years ago without a bunch of mini-busts being announced.

Bowen still puts one out every once in a while but they've moved almost entirely to full figure statues.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gentle Giant still makes them I think.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Gentle Giant seems like its it, and I was never a huge fan of theirs. All of their sculpts look too soft. Palisades is dead, Sideshow only dabbled in them for a short time, and Diamond stopped making them ages ago. It's a shame, since I found them to be a affordable and space-conscious alternative to full size statues.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know the sku # for the Agent Venom or the Prototype Boba Fett?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Bushifox posted:

Also got the Jubilee arm from Louis today, now all I need is the storm piece.

Not to get too sappy but I love that I gave up that arm, telling Louisgod to give it to whoever because I didn't need it, and it went to you, the guy who helped me get a Hordak. Gives me hope that if we all keep working together we can overcome all the exclusive BAF blind-packed horseshit that can make this hobby a bummer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

If I have the Marvel Select Agent Venom, is the ML version at all worth getting?
Anyone?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Not to get too sappy but I love that I gave up that arm, telling Louisgod to give it to whoever because I didn't need it, and it went to you, the guy who helped me get a Hordak. Gives me hope that if we all keep working together we can overcome all the exclusive BAF blind-packed horseshit that can make this hobby a bummer.

speaking of, Matty *finally* shipped my stuff out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I've grabbed and shipped stuff out to some people on Fwoosh too (whole set of the X-Men Legends, actually) and like picking things up for people to undermine scalpers and put the toys into people that actually want them. It takes nothing to throw the money on a credit card, ship the goods out, get the money back and be out nothing outside some gas that I was gonna use to get to work anyway.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Depends, he's a smaller scale, so he'll be slightly smaller than the select version, if you're looking for the definitive version of the character, I'd say stick with your select, if you're looking for someone to hang out with your marvel legends, then go with this one.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

I don't know if anyone caught this, but they snuck Harley Quinn into the new Batman the Animated Series line.

I can't really tell if she's supposed to be in the original animation style or the revamped style, but all in all I don't think it matters since she's one of the few characters that went virtually unchanged in the revamp.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I've hit that part of the year where I start getting really bummed that there isn't a reasonably accessible ML Deadpool in normal colors. It's just not possible to find one below $100. That seems insane to me.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

I've hit that part of the year where I start getting really bummed that there isn't a reasonably accessible ML Deadpool in normal colors. It's just not possible to find one below $100. That seems insane to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M15-MARVEL-...=item5afff8f5fc Here's one for $42. Admittedly that's not ideal, but it's not $100!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I don't know if anyone caught this, but they snuck Harley Quinn into the new Batman the Animated Series line.

I can't really tell if she's supposed to be in the original animation style or the revamped style, but all in all I don't think it matters since she's one of the few characters that went virtually unchanged in the revamp.

I am so stoked about these. All of them look absolutely amazing.

Mr. Yuk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I still have my Toybiz one. It's one of the best figures they produced.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Mr. Yuk posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M15-MARVEL-...=item5afff8f5fc Here's one for $42. Admittedly that's not ideal, but it's not $100!

I bought one of these knock-offs and between the stink and the gummy joints it wasn't worth the price at all.

Beanpants posted:

I always think about picking one up. Like earlier this week, when I thought about picking one up, but got the entire GotG wave for $50 less. Because jesus christ.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

Beanpants posted:

I always think about picking one up. Like earlier this week, when I thought about picking one up, but got the entire GotG wave for $50 less. Because jesus christ.

I spent $45 on mine about a year after it was discontinued. I think that remains the most I have ever paid for a single action figure.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I paid $12 for each of those figures in that line the first week they came out (Phoenix, Juggernaut, Cable, Deadpool). Feels Good Man.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I paid $6 cause Walmart. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

No no by all means keep going this is super helpful