Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Look for second hand sewing machines or refurbs. Estate sales are good for them and remember: machines from the 40s-70s are amazing and durable and usually only need a bit of maintenance because they're all-metal beasts. Computerized doesn't always mean better.

I appreciate all the advice on this stuff. This is my first attempt at making a replica costume... I am having a lot of fun at it, but I'm avoiding large purchases until I can call it a legit hobby. I think a full blown sewing machine could become something I have that I never use, so based on what I'm hearing here I guess I'm going to go with hand sewing. I found some decent videos and explanations (thanks for that screenshot up there, that helps!) - I don't think it will kill me. You guys saved me the $16 though :)

^^^ re: Hearthstone card... unless that thing is massive it would look a bit silly with your head poking out I think. Don't destroy the cool souvenir, put it over your shoulders like you're advertising for cheap tax filings. Then shout random sayings at people and throw tennis balls. LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT

hhhat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Trigona posted:

I suppose attaching straps and just wearing the card over my shoulders is my easier from a work point of view (and also doesn't destroy a pretty cool card), but I feel it might be more like wearing a card/sign rather than actually 'cosplaying' it and becoming the card by you know, having my head/face become a part of the card.... However, I feel changing the inlay could be pretty challenging, and it could just end up looking rather poor.
Yeah, don't destroy the card. Just attach straps. Will you have enough mobility?

I probably would've gone with the Sims.
http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-sims-plumbob-hat/

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
So tired. 9 days to go.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

McPantserton posted:

So tired. 9 days to go.

Looks great. I hope I bump into you at Gencon to see it in person. I'm going as lab coat Gordon Freeman because making an HEV suit seemed too daunting for my first cosplay.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mimetic posted:

Looks great. I hope I bump into you at Gencon to see it in person. I'm going as lab coat Gordon Freeman because making an HEV suit seemed too daunting for my first cosplay.

Woo, thanks! We ought to be out in full regalia for chunks of Friday and Saturday, otherwise I'll be in gothic stretch pants all weekend, bwahahha. I'm getting closer every day, pauldron attachment appears to be successful:

Tonight I'll finish this part, do the foot straps and thigh straps, and hopefully get my gloves rolling too. And maybe my jetpack tube. Ugh.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Tonight I'll finish this part, do the foot straps and thigh straps, and hopefully get my gloves rolling too. And maybe my jetpack tube. Ugh.

I tried to come up with another fleur de lis joke. I guess I need sleep. :saddowns:

Lookin good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

McPantserton posted:

Or maybe look for white pinstripe pants and dye them?

WELL I DID AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!

Expect pictures within hours!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 9, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sorry to bump/double post, buuuuut...

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

DoctorWhat posted:

Looks spot on.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

DoctorWhat posted:

Noice ~

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Crossposting from Ask/Tell by suggestion of the guys over there:

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Hey, it's me again. Last time I was in here was about haunted house season, and I've got another pickle related to the same thing. We're doing a freak show this year, and we have a male midget who I want to do up as a parasitic twin by building him a false, dead upper torso with him coming out of the stomach. I've got some idea of what I want to do for it, but I'm not positive it will work.

My thoughts on the issue were to create a sort of wire mesh for the torso and do the rest mostly with clothes sewn on and just stuffed with lightweight fluff of some sort. But I have concerns about how well that'll hold up and, more importantly, of how comfortable it may be for the actor wearing it. Does anybody have any good ideas of how to do this?

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
More progress on final wiring (ugh).

Wired up switches to be able to toggle on main power from battery, the Ear/Corner pieces, and then the main visor matrix/arduino/mini fans:

Extension cable that goes from the battery pack end to the quick plug/release into the back of the helmet:

Getting close but still... it feels like it is taking forever to properly wire everything into the helmet and get things off the breadboard.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
More terse photos as I enter my final night of cosplay building before GenCon! The last thing I was worried about was the jetpack being too heavy and pulling the breastplate back but it works just fine. I am so relieved.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

More terse photos as I enter my final night of cosplay building before GenCon! The last thing I was worried about was the jetpack being too heavy and pulling the breastplate back but it works just fine. I am so relieved.

Your progress shots just excite me to no end. I want to do armor that well one day. :3:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I managed to finish my helmet and axe. The paper mache and paperclay remained a little lumpy no matter how much I sanded, but a guy at the art supply store I go to suggested sponge-painting gray and orange over a bronze base to mimic the texture of rusted iron, which came out really well. Hopefully it looks convincing enough that the bumps can be passed off as part of the hammered/weathered look. :shobon: Regarding the rest of the armor, does anyone know where I could get metal disc-shaped studs/rivets/fasteners about 1" in diameter? The biggest I could find were these, which are 5/8".

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So my helmet for PAX is horribly back heavy, so much that if it's not fastened with a chinstrap it slides off my head. Is there any sort of material that can be used to secure it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

So my helmet for PAX is horribly back heavy, so much that if it's not fastened with a chinstrap it slides off my head. Is there any sort of material that can be used to secure it?

What's the helmet?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DoctorWhat posted:

What's the helmet?

Oh, poo poo. I never posted those pictures. Uh, this is the quick and dirty version. It's a flight deck cranial with cleat studs in the front and spark plugs in the back. I've got 12 days to touch it up, make it fit right, stain my vest, bleach and stain a pair of coveralls, install doron fragmentation plates into previously mentioned vest and make hobo shoes. A bit of work ahead.

Mine.
http://imgur.com/ViXESyH

Not mine
http://imgur.com/m2R6bB9

I don't have the earmuffs nor radio headsets, that would pretty much keep them on no questions asked.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 17, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If the helmet is too back-heavy to be worn without a strap, you'll either need to weigh down the front (which may make the helmet painfully heavy), lighten the back, or suck it up and just use the strap.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

chitoryu12 posted:

If the helmet is too back-heavy to be worn without a strap, you'll either need to weigh down the front (which may make the helmet painfully heavy), lighten the back, or suck it up and just use the strap.

The strap doesn't do a drat thing. If I don't keep my head level it still slides off.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 17, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Maybe put something inside like they have in hard hats? It can help with distributing the weight and also let you adjust the tightness of the helmet.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Funhilde posted:

Maybe put something inside like they have in hard hats? It can help with distributing the weight and also let you adjust the tightness of the helmet.

Unfortunately it's a cloth helmet with plastic plates backed in impact resistant foam. I'd salvage the rig from my Civil Defense helmet, but there's no way to attach. The only thing I can figure is integrating the helmet with a baseball cap, removing the bill ahead of time. It's a hell of a lot of work, considering what's already on my plate.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

7thBatallion posted:

Unfortunately it's a cloth helmet with plastic plates backed in impact resistant foam. I'd salvage the rig from my Civil Defense helmet, but there's no way to attach. The only thing I can figure is integrating the helmet with a baseball cap, removing the bill ahead of time. It's a hell of a lot of work, considering what's already on my plate.

A baseball cap is basically the same idea. You could just make a similar set up with some twill tape or elastic- basically something internal to make the weight redistribute itself evenly.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Funhilde posted:

A baseball cap is basically the same idea. You could just make a similar set up with some twill tape or elastic- basically something internal to make the weight redistribute itself evenly.

I get where you're going with this. I'll give it a shot. Need to find my fabric glue, but this might work.

Hot drat! It's by and large the shittiest sewing job I've done, but I cut the brim off a hat, used elmers glue sticks to hold everything in a good place, and put it all together. I can turn my head almost upside down without it falling off. Now it's just heavy and awkward instead of heavy, awkward, and dangerous.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 17, 2014

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I have been busting my buns to get Lina done for PAX finally starting to get to where I want to be. The goal today is to finish painting all the little armor bits and get a good bit of them attached. I need to finish altering the bodice before I can add the bit to it but the sleeves and bottom skirt should be all set up today. I hope. Though once I get this done I have the horror of figuring out how to pack it. I am not sure if I make a suitcase for it and hope for the best or mail it and hope for the best... I wish I lived closer to Seattle.

Anywho here are the odd selfies of what I have assembled so far.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd advise that you put it in a suitcase. If you mail it and it gets lost or delayed, you're poo poo out of luck, but if it gets damaged or disordered in transit, you'll have at least some chance of getting a chance to repair it as long as you have it with you.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
At long last, I'm done! :woop:

I was very pleased to see a likeness of myself on this man's arm.

GenCon's contest was really awesome this year IMO, tons of really great entries including another Sister of Battle. I'm super sad that GenCon is done already but I've got another small con coming up next weekend so at least I'll get to bust out my SoB again soon.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

My god that looks amazing. It was so cool to see you put it together, and the end result is really drat impressive!

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

That looks incredible! Never stop being amazing.

Everything is wired, soldered into place, and then packed away. All I need to do is get the correct foam size so I can fit my head in there nicely :)

Oh! Also the iOS app is working again - stupid firmware was outdated so it was causing all sorts of deprecated issues :(

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Wow it looks so awesome!

That is fantastic.

Man I feel the need to step up my armor skills. But Lapras is priority after PAX so I will try and up my skills after that.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Badass. I don't know Warmans but your hard work paid off.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Here's what these remind me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eazq_8jCOg

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pants, you and your crew look absolutely amazing.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Looking for a little LED wiring advice!

I'm making a Space Dandy cosplay and he has a neat little bracelet/language interpreter that lights up green when active. Every Dandy cosplay I've seen is lacking a bracelet that lights up, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. Right now my plan is to get a wood bangle off Amazon, dremel an inset all the way around and drop an LED strip into it. What I'm having a hard time figuring out is finding a power source small enough to also integrate into the bracelet. Any thoughts?

Bangle and Space Dandy for reference:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIU968M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADML478TUTAQA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Watch battery?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Just get one that is already made and do what you need cosmetically to it.
http://www.windycitynovelties.com/a...8f-001b2166becc

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So I've put together the cloak and the hand sewing went reasonably well. Good news is it looks like crap, but then again, it's supposed to look like crap. Thanks for the recommendation there. Worked great!

I'm on to finishing the headpiece - looking for suggestions here - it's paper mache covered with celluclay and acrylic. The rest of it will be fabric of some type hanging off the back in kind of a hood/predator hair kind of thing. Question is, best way to attach that so it stays on? I attached the hatbands with full blown screws, but that might be too conspicuous on the top of the head. I believe hot glue might work, but I'd like to get someone's opinion who's done similar work before. As a reminder, building one of these - so the fabric will wrap around the whole thing and drape over my shoulders, meaning even if its light cloth, it probably will weigh a bit -

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Use layers of theatrical scrim for the headdress. You can cake in plaster of paris or acrylic paint to get that matted look. http://www.chicagocanvas.com/scrims/

Any reason you're not using worbla for an armature? You could make it practically hollow. Paper mache is heavy. I also know a guy that casts hollow resin horns if you just want to buy a pair off him. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you pics when I get back from Burning Man.

Also, hello thread, I'm about to be a lot more active in you. I'm sick of hemming old lady's pants and I want to get back into costuming even if it is a thankless and unlucrative field.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

McPantserton posted:

I was very pleased to see a likeness of myself on this man's arm.

GenCon's contest was really awesome this year IMO, tons of really great entries including another Sister of Battle. I'm super sad that GenCon is done already but I've got another small con coming up next weekend so at least I'll get to bust out my SoB again soon.

I saw you guys as you were heading back to your room. Was going to say hi but you looked super worn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pile of Kittens posted:

Use layers of theatrical scrim for the headdress. You can cake in plaster of paris or acrylic paint to get that matted look. http://www.chicagocanvas.com/scrims/

Any reason you're not using worbla for an armature? You could make it practically hollow. Paper mache is heavy. I also know a guy that casts hollow resin horns if you just want to buy a pair off him. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you pics when I get back from Burning Man.

So, use plaster/paint to actually attach it?

As for why no worbla, this is my first time doing any of this ever, and I wanted to go cheap and simple, invest time more than money. The mache is kinda heavy but not a killer, I'm doing this more for a learning experience and to give the hobby a try. So far enjoyment. I don't know I'll be showing it off much more than Halloween.

:drac:

Hello yourself!