Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It was a really tiny moment, but in Guardians of the Galaxy, in the introductory Star-Lord scene, he escapes by doing the spaceship equivalent of a Dukes of Hazzard slide into the cockpit that really sets up his character as someone who's trying really hard to be Han Solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Another Guardians of the Galaxy moment, at the end of the film Star-Lord is forced by his former partner to turn over an orb containing a world-destroying infinity gem. Instead, he turns over a second orb containing a 1980's troll doll, which his partner only discovers after some time. Both literally and metaphorically, Star-Lord has trolled his former partner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Another Guardians of the Galaxy moment, at the end of the film Star-Lord is forced by his former partner to turn over an orb containing a world-destroying infinity gem. Instead, he turns over a second orb containing a 1980's troll doll, which his partner only discovers after some time. Both literally and metaphorically, Star-Lord has trolled his former partner.

And potentially the audience because Rocket sets up a Chekhov's Bomb earlier that never gets used.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Didn't that thing get used against badman tho?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It did. Aphrodite wasn't paying attention.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
please use spoilers tia

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
There were two things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I liked about Guardians of the Galaxy is that Peter hasn't been on Earth since the late 80s so all his references are stuff like Kevin Bacon Footloose and thinking John Stamos is a rebel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Greenlit posted:

There were two things.

What was the other one? The one I'm thinking of is the gun that can shoot out moons. It's a little hard to miss the use of that in the third act.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

mind the walrus posted:

What was the other one? The one I'm thinking of is the gun that can shoot out moons. It's a little hard to miss the use of that in the third act.

Rocket specifically mentions the something or other Bomb, for when poo poo gets really real. It's different from the gun that they use to shoot the villain.

Yet another subtle/weird GOTG thing (credits stinger spoilers!) the stinger includes Howard The Duck, which is great in and of itself. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE: The big "get the team together" shot in GOTG is soundtracked to the song "Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways. In "Howard the Duck", Beverly's band is called Cherry Bomb. I don't know if this was intentional, but dammmmmmn.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Aug 4, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I liked about Guardians of the Galaxy is that Peter hasn't been on Earth since the late 80s so all his references are stuff like Kevin Bacon Footloose and thinking John Stamos is a rebel.
That wasn't subtle at all, nor is it a spoiler. He is taken from Earth before the opening credits.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Rewatched Wayne's World and noticed that one of the crew is straight up drinking from the creamer in Stan Mikita's donuts in the beginning. Also after Meat Loaf says the lineup includes the Jolly Green Giants at the Gasworks, you see four guys in green togas and wigs headed for the stage in the background a few minutes later. It's such a drat good movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

That wasn't subtle at all, nor is it a spoiler. He is taken from Earth before the opening credits.

Yes, but the point is that he never used any contemporary references or slang. His whole character is grounded in 1986.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Again, that's not really subtle. It's just characterization. He wears a Walkman and listens to music from the era in his very first scene as an adult.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

In Guardians of the Galaxy, when Peter is arrested by the Nova squadron, his alias in the lineup is captured as SPACE-LORD

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

barcoded posted:

In Guardians of the Galaxy, when Peter is arrested by the Nova squadron, his alias in the lineup is captured as SPACE-LORD

Who??

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I think he means Star Prince.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Aww, c'mon man. You know, Star-Lord? Infamous outlaw?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"line from the movie."

How subtle that was.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

umalt posted:

I think he means Star Prince.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Aww, c'mon man. You know, Star-Lord? Infamous outlaw?

What a bunch of a-holes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mind the walrus posted:

"line from the movie."

How subtle that was.

You are being 100% a dick

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
I was debating on whether to post this for fear of looking like a huge nerd but, pfft, that's what this thread is for, right?

In 'Guardians', during the lineup scene with Rocket, it lists his 'known associates' as Groot and Lylla, the latter of which is a callback to a character from the original Rocket Raccoon comic in the mid-1980s oh god why do I know this why can't there be useful information in that piece of grey matter

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

kazil posted:

Well, I don't believe that anyone can be 100% a dick...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kazil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nice to see the joke didn't go over your head...

...because you have very good reflexes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Metaphor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been watching Toy Story a lot lately since I have a 3.5 year old son. That movie is filled with subtle moments, especially given the time it was made and and how 3D animation was in its infancy, but on a re-watch something stood out for me.

When Sid uses the magnifying glass on Woody and burns a dot on his forehead, that dot is there for the rest of the film. I guess it's not so much subtle as it is attention to detail but I was pretty impressed by it. I've seen hundreds of live action films get bigger details wrong.

Toy Story is so loving good. I'm glad my son is old enough to start watching cool movies now.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

In Boyhood, the old man who works at the liquor store is the same actor as the liquor store clerk from Dazed & Confused.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

During the montage showing their origins, a younger Leonardo slices a pizza pie in midair just like in the beginning of the original 80s film. And just like that scene the last slice lands on Splinter's head.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was going through some of the older John Cusack movies today and noted a good moment in Grosse Pointe Blank -- the background music that is playing as he's driving around his old hometown shifts when he enters a convenience store, playing instead from the tinny market's speakers.

I don't see that kind of attention to detail in a lot of movies recently, and thought it was a very nice touch.

In The Abyss (the director's cut is so good) Virgil's hand stays blue, with obvious wearing/fading, throughout the entire movie, which was another great touch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Not sure if anyone's noticed this here before, but I was rewatching Iron Man 2 and the logo on Ivan Vanko's pitsuit looked pretty interesting once I started looking more closely...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man I don't know what you're seeing, but all I'm seeing is a highly stylized goatse.

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Man I don't know what you're seeing, but all I'm seeing is a highly stylized goatse.

The logo looks like a guy with a whip. Later he becomes a guy with a whip.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

iajanus posted:

Not sure if anyone's noticed this here before, but I was rewatching Iron Man 2 and the logo on Ivan Vanko's pitsuit looked pretty interesting once I started looking more closely...

Do you think him being named "Turgenov" on the jumpsuit was in any way a reference to Gen. Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove? Was it about boners?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah.

Turgenov was the last name of Crimson Dynamo in the comics, which he ends up kinda halfway being at the end of the movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok, I guess more characters just need boner-referencing names.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah.

Turgenov was the last name of Crimson Dynamo in the comics, which he ends up kinda halfway being at the end of the movie.

Also one letter off from the author of Fathers and Sons.

But your suggestion makes sense too.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Iron Man 3

Not until a recent showing did I notice that the very last scene with Stark giving Pepper the necklace.. it's made of all the pieces of shrapnel they pull out of his heart, building on Peppers gift in the first Iron Man movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Retro42 posted:

Iron Man 3

Not until a recent showing did I notice that the very last scene with Stark giving Pepper the necklace.. it's made of all the pieces of shrapnel they pull out of his heart, building on Peppers gift in the first Iron Man movie.

Not only that, they're all pointing at a pendant shaped like a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
Watched GotG again, I finally took notice of the Lloyd Kaufman cameo in The Kyln.

As well as the troll doll given to Yondu by Quill at the end of the film being a possible reference to a Marvel character called Pip the Troll who teamed up with Adam Warlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_the_Troll