Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So, is there a reason why VS decided it wanted to ghost cap Hossin? My inner conspiracy nut says cause of the max discount, cause VS loves to mass pull maxes at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Theory: capping continents = winning alerts. Therefore, capping a continent during prime time = winning an alert at prime time, which as we know was what the VS considered the objective of the game.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sometimes things just work out.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Broose posted:

So, is there a reason why VS decided it wanted to ghost cap Hossin? My inner conspiracy nut says cause of the max discount, cause VS loves to mass pull maxes at the drop of a hat.

Is there a reason NC and TR refuse to show up and defend Hossin?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Because it's fun to do something other than fight VS over Hossin for a change?

Especially since they'll just melt away to ghost cap some other continent as soon as any actual fighting starts.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

Is there a reason NC and TR refuse to show up and defend Hossin?

Because I do not leave Amerish if there are good fights there and if we DID respond and made any progress at all it would be without any TR help and the VS would vanish to ghost cap Indar. Again.

Sorry if it spoils the meta that literally only the VS have embraced for the last 8 months but there was great fights tonight on other continents so I guess holding Hossin for all of 5 minutes was worth it!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Great fights" = endless 48 v 48 hellzergs, I guess?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Totally behind being turncoat traitors and joining TRNC, if only to watch us try and coordinate a phalanx formation with MAX shields.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Pomp posted:

Pretty much, the VS seem to limit itself to two platoons max for most attacks, whereas the NC and TR seem very fond of dumping their entire population into a hex and calling it a good fight.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pomp posted:

Most Hellzergs these days hit 200+ players. We have seen AoD and PHX lead 300+ man Hellzergs.

Apparently the "new meta" embraced by TR and NC is to have one outfit Warpgate recruit 5 platoons of people and them jam them in one lane to AFK cap it.

This is somehow preferable to actual fights for ... reasons?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BlueDestiny posted:

Totally behind being turncoat traitors and joining TRNC, if only to watch us try and coordinate a phalanx formation with MAX shields.

I wish the shield was actually worthwhile if only because it's cool as gently caress.

Let me trade in my shotguns for a better shield and a spear that I can Dark Souls people with

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

Most Hellzergs these days hit 200+ players. We have seen AoD and PHX lead 300+ man Hellzergs.

Apparently the "new meta" embraced by TR and NC is to have one outfit Warpgate recruit 5 platoons of people and them jam them in one lane to AFK cap it.

This is somehow preferable to actual fights for ... reasons?

Indar was home to a colossal VS zerg, and every VS on Amerish was moving in a giant blob as well, so I'm not sure what high ground you're speaking from here? Also, please refer to this:

http://borderlinetactical.net/rsnc/world-population/?world_id=17

At peak tonight Emerald saw 3,000 players. I'm not sure if it's really realistic to expect everybody to pair up and evenly fight 12-24's at every single base that could be contended. You're going to get really big fights. Like, really big, and at all of the ones I saw tonight the NC had big numbers and generally a decent sized deficit as well.

I don't see how people are supposed to take anybody who is telling us that sticking to giant fights is "impure" or whatever, and not true fights and that we should instead be on some unpopulated continent fighting for a meaningless bonus that will immediately get taken away because it's bugged right now. If that's how you guys are running platoons now, sure, try to cultivate small fights instead of joining the ones already in existence, just don't blame us when it fails. I was leading GOON for about 3 hours tonight, ask any of them if we were short of people to kill or if the fights felt somehow insincere and just not right.

Anyway, if you want to actually arrange something then don't hope people will join in on your faction's dumb obsession, actually like /tell some outfit leads and see if they want to bring their guys and scrim it out as a break from the big fights.

BlueDestiny posted:

It sounds cool, but it's just an invitation to get everybody killed by AV grenades

A Tartan Tory posted:

Pretty much, the VS seem to limit itself to two platoons max for most attacks, whereas the NC and TR seem very fond of dumping their entire population into a hex and calling it a good fight.

This is patently false and has not been true since the merger. Indar and Amerish were great examples of the VS hellblob tonight.

Is it somehow a totally different thing if it's 4-5 platoons stuffed into a biolab defense against half their numbers as opposed to 4-5 platoons pushing a lane against half their numbers? Because that's Emerald VS in a nutshell

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 12, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I thought I was ready for Indar again after all that time playing on Hossin, but a couple of hours spent at the forever war between Indar Ex and Quartz ridge put an end to that idea.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty much every time I go to Indar, we're stuck in the southeast warpgate in a neverending, useless battle for Crossroads Watchtower. gently caress that place.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

This is patently false and has not been true since the merger. Indar and Amerish were great examples of the VS hellblob tonight.

Is it somehow a totally different thing if it's 4-5 platoons stuffed into a biolab defense against half their numbers as opposed to 4-5 platoons pushing a lane against half their numbers? Because that's Emerald VS in a nutshell

Just calling it like I see it, I haven't seen a VS hellzerg since I started playing again at the merger, maybe there was one last night but I wasn't online so!

Whereas lets face it, the AOD hellzerg and the PHX hellzerg are there every night, day after day. Not even you can deny that EHF.

Also, if we shove more than two platoons into a biolab leader chat is usually swearing and cajoling everyone out of it because we know it's a useless farm. Usually only DAPP/pubbies doesn't listen.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pretty much every time I'm on Indar I'm wondering why I'm on Indar and then logging out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So Auraxium variants are getting a pass later this month. The key thing that has been confirmed? Optics will be user-selected! The Gauss Prime is gonna go from irritating to incredible :dance:

Hopefully this includes the GODSAW being excluded from the h.tolerance buff the other two get, also also maybe the accuracy allowed to be on par with the default SAW, pretty please? All I really wanted was a pretty version of my favorite gun in the game

A Tartan Tory posted:

Just calling it like I see it, I haven't seen a VS hellzerg since I started playing again at the merger, maybe there was one last night but I wasn't online so!

Whereas lets face it, the AOD hellzerg and the PHX hellzerg are there every night, day after day. Not even you can deny that EHF.

Also, if we shove more than two platoons into a biolab leader chat is usually swearing and cajoling everyone out of it because we know it's a useless farm. Usually only DAPP/pubbies doesn't listen.

I'll point them out next time they crop up then, there was a mightly impressive one at Crimson Bluff an hour or two ago that may even still have some steam.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I don't care if I don't have anything useful left to buy with my certs, I'm still not getting command chat. I'm told it's the source of all grey hair due to the never ending fights about strategy.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Nope i was planning on complaining about this so i checked every fight for a 3 hour period today, amerish was VS/NC 50/50 fights and 70/30 fights against TR. Esamir was pure 50/50 fights against TR in the andvari lane with some small fights along the middle near eisa and a 50/50 fight against NC pushing nott. Today on indar i saw 2 ghost caps with 70% VS but when i checked it was at 1 minute left so it most likely got unbalanced.

The only problem was hossin because TR left so VS where ghost capping TR territory but equal pop NC so the NC front was fairly balanced.

GOKU has been fighting non stop 70/30 battles since loving friday and this is when we are running a full loving platoon. Mostly its AOD but PHX/PotP have been leading hell zergs lately to. Its gotten to the point where PL's have to balance out our 3-1 defenses because everyone is getting loving sick of holding a room for 20 minutes then getting swamped by literally 100 loving maxes.

We held PMC against 3+ platoons of NC for 10 minutes with an entire VS platoon in the C building because we couldn't push out due to the endless stream of NC. VS pubbies may be shoving way to much pop into conts getting 40% at times but even then they do not bunch up unless you happen to run into SOVU/DAPP at the same time. I have literally never seen TR/NC take a base with even pops except for a few occasions when BAX/903 arrive in force on a 4 minute base and no one responds to them. Every time we lose a base its because TR/NC has 60%+ pop and they win through sheer attrition.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

So, I've got 300 Stationcash, what can I spend it on that'll carry across all my characters? I've got the AV turret, horns, NS weapon attachments/vehicle upgrades, what am I missing?

Certain camos. I love Temperate Chaparral myself. Palm is a big favorite.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Nope i was planning on complaining about this so i checked every fight for a 3 hour period today, amerish was VS/NC 50/50 fights and 70/30 fights against TR. Esamir was pure 50/50 fights against TR in the andvari lane with some small fights along the middle near eisa and a 50/50 fight against NC pushing nott. Today on indar i saw 2 ghost caps with 70% VS but when i checked it was at 1 minute left so it most likely got unbalanced.

The only problem was hossin because TR left so VS where ghost capping TR territory but equal pop NC so the NC front was fairly balanced.

GOKU has been fighting non stop 70/30 battles since loving friday and this is when we are running a full loving platoon. Mostly its AOD but PHX/PotP have been leading hell zergs lately to. Its gotten to the point where PL's have to balance out our 3-1 defenses because everyone is getting loving sick of holding a room for 20 minutes then getting swamped by literally 100 loving maxes.

We held PMC against 3+ platoons of NC for 10 minutes with an entire VS platoon in the C building because we couldn't push out due to the endless stream of NC. VS pubbies may be shoving way to much pop into conts getting 40% at times but even then they do not bunch up unless you happen to run into SOVU/DAPP at the same time. I have literally never seen TR/NC take a base with even pops except for a few occasions when BAX/903 arrive in force on a 4 minute base and no one responds to them. Every time we lose a base its because TR/NC has 60%+ pop and they win through sheer attrition.

You must've been playing a different 3 hours than me then, DaPP and S0VU are exactly the ones I keep running into with gigantic hellzergs. They also don't believe in running AP-anything on their Magriders, it's great. Tonight was primarily AJA+AOD joint ops and it pretty much shut down entirely the left side of Amerish

Run with GOON, we do those sorts of caps all of the time. Outside of rare circumstances, nobody wins or loses drat near any base unless they hit that magic 60% threshold. I know this boast is a primary VS talking point but it never really actually plays out all that often at all.

Also, how are you guys being driven hard into 3:1 odds against every fight since the merger AND everywhere you looked pops everywhere were even excepting a few VS ghost caps and command is having to yell at VS outfits to distribute their forces from fights they're grossly overpopulating? Maybe part of the problem is that a big chunk of your population is constantly hammering away at meaningless, unlockable continents? When the TR used to do this exact same thing endlessly - including blaming everybody else for not joining them - we'd all mock them. What is going on?

edit - also I spent some certs on a tricked out dual-Walker/shield sundy and :stare:

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 12, 2014

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Also, how are you guys being driven hard into 3:1 odds against every fight since the merger AND everywhere you looked pops everywhere were even excepting a few VS ghost caps and command is having to yell at VS outfits to distribute their forces from fights they're grossly overpopulating? Maybe part of the problem is that a big chunk of your population is constantly hammering away at meaningless, unlockable continents? When the TR used to do this exact same thing endlessly - including blaming everybody else for not joining them - we'd all mock them. What is going on?
Because those are literally our only options for fights a lot of the time. Either we shove our pop into a fight VS is already likely to win usually due to even or above even pop in VS favor which unlike what pubbies think we don't like doing or we go fight a 100-200 person hellzerg because the rest of VS refuses to fight them and I can not blame them. Let me outline a scenario that happened recently on Hossin you have 60ish NC up North fighting an even fight at a tower against the likes of DA and other people that joygasm at the thought of tower fights, then you have about 20 NC at various 1-12 fights, roughly 40ish fighting the TR at a single lane/base, and where are the rest? Hellzerging with 180-200 people ghost capping against at best token defense of 20-30 VS or less. So let me list the options for us go join the tower farm and massively outpop it pushing them out, completely loving crush the 1-12 fights with our 40 people, stick our dick in the hornets nest that would be a three way which would wind up with both sides attacking us after we do that, switch continents and join the other people ghost capping, or lastly fighting outpopped 3 to 1.

Basically what happens is TR/NC massively outpop one single lane and the VS are all stuff that and go overpop all the other lanes by 10-20 people or they go ghost cap other continents. This leads to VS controlling the most territory because they win all those small fights and the TR/NC continually crushing that lane. For the record they are happy to ghost cap for 4+ bases against zero resistance with 3 platoons. Meanwhile we sit around slamming our dick into the zerg because no one else will and because as previously discussed all the other options suck almost as bad. Don't get me wrong I sometimes enjoy fighting massively outpopped because it is challenging and sometimes you pull off amazing stunts, but every fight? This isn't even getting into how often TR/NC rage log the continent when they lose an even fight against us.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Aug 12
Daily sale: M6 Onslaught / AF-41 Hacksaw / Nebula VM20 (right)
Members sale: Digital camo

(@PS2DailyDeals is in Vegas)

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Though I will say the NC is a bit better about this than TR, PHX is a bunch of lemming idiots but TR never seems to show up to a fight with less than 100 people nowadays.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I haven't seen it, either; EHF, you have me friended in-game, if I'm online and the VS have a stupid-huge hellzerg of 200+ men please message me, so I can call them out in leaderchat.

Epic High Five posted:

You must've been playing a different 3 hours than me then, DaPP and S0VU are exactly the ones I keep running into with gigantic hellzergs.
But... That's exactly what Arghy said :psyduck:

Arghy posted:

... they do not bunch up unless you happen to run into SOVU/DAPP at the same time.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Desideratus posted:

Though I will say the NC is a bit better about this than TR, PHX is a bunch of lemming idiots but TR never seems to show up to a fight with less than 100 people nowadays.

TR's big problem right now is that AOD has hit critical mass and is hoovering up *all* the clueless newbies who come in. There aren't 5-10 medium sized outfits running open squads and dividing people nicely. Instead there are 10-15 AOD squads and they all go to the same place. It's just as frustrating for me when I play TR as it is for you guys because we don't get the backup we need at potential 2-4 squad fights so those die before they start. I don't see this meta changing on its own either, not until there's some mechanical incentive to split up and go to smaller/even fights.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Would be good if there were an XP bonus for fighting in good-sized fights that gets smaller if the fights are too small, and also gets smaller if the fights are too big, maybe?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Aaod posted:

Basically what happens is TR/NC massively outpop one single lane and the VS are all stuff that and go overpop all the other lanes by 10-20 people or they go ghost cap other continents. This leads to VS controlling the most territory because they win all those small fights and the TR/NC continually crushing that lane. For the record they are happy to ghost cap for 4+ bases against zero resistance with 3 platoons. Meanwhile we sit around slamming our dick into the zerg because no one else will and because as previously discussed all the other options suck almost as bad. Don't get me wrong I sometimes enjoy fighting massively outpopped because it is challenging and sometimes you pull off amazing stunts, but every fight? This isn't even getting into how often TR/NC rage log the continent when they lose an even fight against us.

The only thing that I've been enjoying as of late facing these hell zergs is when /y gets spammed with taunts about how they just beat GOKU (by dropping 3 times our numbers on us). :jerkbag:

So loving sick of hell zergs exactly like these. My computer runs great in 1-3 platoon v 1-3 platoon fights. It absolutely poo poo's itself though when a faction drops it's entire loving continent population into a hex and causes 1/2 my loving bullets to not register.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 12, 2014

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Desideratus posted:

I'm sure things are different during prime time when most of you seem to play but I know yesterday only me and one other TR responded to a base defense that took maybe twelve minutes, I died five times retaking the point before we found and blew up the VS Sunderer. Oddly, it was the same three VS re-spawning at the Sunderer and trying to take the point. Clearly neither faction looks at the map during non-prime hours because there really wasn't another good fight anywhere on the continent so I don't know what the rest of the the population on either faction was doing. I expect loving off at the warp gate waiting to warp to Hossin.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way the ANT running is going to solve the hellzerg problem either unless the base generator powers some kind of new defensive base equipment like blast doors, makes turrets better, makes turrets that can actually defend the base's courtyards, etc.

What about leadership certs that give squad leaders the ability to activate nanite-based powerups that drain the base generator? Boosts that give their squaddies temporary perks so that they can punch above their weight class. To keep bases from being stupidly hard to capture, the defensive perks could not be activated until enough enemies appeared for a long enough time in the hex, and not all bases would have the same inventory of boosters, if any.
Plus, repeatedly using them would end up adding to the drain on the base, and incentivize ANT runs.

What's running resources by itself into an overrun base going to accomplish besides giving the defenders a gasp of air before continuing to drown beneath the zerg? Is that spitfire turret really going to be as good as adding another player to an uneven defensive fight when it gets added?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hahaha wow this should trigger all of us, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmUxUPcr_gc GOKU for the horrible chill ops and ghost capping and GOON because HES USING A NS11A AS AN NC MEDIC.

The thread http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2daisq/a_normal_night_in_the_pxp_mumble_warning/

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly not sure how they do it, but :soe: keeps making these alerts worse. On connery at least, the game's devolved into alert whack-a-mole.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

BabelFish posted:

I'm honestly not sure how they do it, but :soe: keeps making these alerts worse. On connery at least, the game's devolved into alert whack-a-mole.

On Emerald they do not work, as in they do not pop up or happen despite them reaching trigger points at beyond.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, they flat out do not work on Emerald. Cont locking only works in theory, it happens seemingly randomly from what I can tell. I mean, I suppose people are actually locking the thing but there's no alert, sometimes the continent is still spawnable, etc. It's hosed.

Arghy posted:

Hahaha wow this should trigger all of us, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmUxUPcr_gc GOKU for the horrible chill ops and ghost capping and GOON because HES USING A NS11A AS AN NC MEDIC.

The thread http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2daisq/a_normal_night_in_the_pxp_mumble_warning/

The only acceptable excuse for that is that he has literally every single other NC AR auraxed. He's got the Gauss Rifle, the Carnage, the loving REAPER and the TROSS... and he's using an NS-11A. It has to be for an aurax, right? RIGHT?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 12, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Arghy posted:

And NS-11a with a loving 3.4 dot scope no less, what the actual gently caress.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

A Tartan Tory posted:

And NS-11a with a loving 3.4 dot scope no less, what the actual gently caress.

We often mock the Harasser of Poor Decisions in GOON but I don't think we have a Gun of Poor Decisions. Until now.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

I bet he uses a flash suppressor as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What, you guys never use 3.4x scopes on stuff?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

What, you guys never use 3.4x scopes on stuff?

On a battle rifle and a ghost maybe, but they generally trend to 4x even then.

3.4 dot scopes are the goddamn worst.

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
Hey, I need some gun-advice. Now that I've auraxed my AC-X11, I'm trying to decide which carbine to slog through next. My gut is telling me to knock out the GD-7F or Merc. Anyone else think differently? Preferred attachments on whatever you'd recommend would be pretty cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm a big fan of the Razor on my light assault. Compensator and Foregrip a must of course.

• Locked thread