Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The new Tex Murphy game - Tesla Effect is one of weeklong deals. Is it worth picking up? It looks pretty sweet if cheesy (in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zedd posted:

The Giant "name your price" button takes you to an editable box?

For some reason, Firefox skips that page completely and sets the price to $100 :argh: Works fine in Chrome :shrug: Thanks.

e: still no editable box, just a list of set prices :eng99:

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Palpek posted:

The new Tex Murphy game - Tesla Effect is one of weeklong deals. Is it worth picking up? It looks pretty sweet if cheesy (in a good way).

If you like Tex Murphy games, it is just as good as the last couple and a fitting continuation of Tex adventures. It does continue from a cliffhanger from Overseer, but does a basic summary for new players. Blattdorf a few posts previous mentioned it worked for him coming in fresh and was enjoyable so does seem to work for new and old players. If you are already familiar with Tex games, then definitely yes. Click on everything to hear Tex banter :D

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I "played" that. It's supposedly a good representation of how depressed people (with the actual illness, not depressed because you didn't win a lottery) feel like. Can't say either way :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I finished one run through of Long Live the Queen. And I got run through a few times. I was surprised by how short it was though once you prepare for the few difficulty gates the game has. There's essentially a few checks that will end the game if your skills fail. Overall pretty fun. Anime as hell though, not helped by the fact that I was basically dressed in a fairy outfit. It... it boosts your magic okay!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SynthOrange posted:

I finished one run through of Long Live the Queen. And I got run through a few times. I was surprised by how short it was though once you prepare for the few difficulty gates the game has. There's essentially a few checks that will end the game if your skills fail. Overall pretty fun. Anime as hell though, not helped by the fact that I was basically dressed in a fairy outfit. It... it boosts your magic okay!

Yeah, I was also put off by the anime aesthetic of the game. Looked pretty cool otherwise.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have no particular love or hate towards anime artstyle and LLTQ is pretty great.

It's not a difficult game at all to finish with an ending, it's all about the different ways you can take to the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I have no particular love or hate towards anime artstyle and LLTQ is pretty great.

It's not a difficult game at all to finish with an ending, it's all about the different ways you can take to the end.

It's not difficult to reach the ending if you anticipate the game over scenarios. Otherwise you can be completely blindsided. One minute you're off to a birthday party, the next ARROW TO THE GUT.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

It's almost never worth unpacking booster packs. They're worth more unpacked, and the chances of getting a foil is incredibly low.

It's always worth checking. Maybe I'm just lucky but with a single exception, it's always been worth it to unpack them and sell the cards separately for me.

I have these three and they all seem to be worth unpacking for max profit.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 12, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone played GhostControl Inc.? It looks like a Ghostbusters game in an XCOM style.

But is it any good?

That's a good description - Ghostbusters game with XCOM style combat (maybe not as much cover mechanic though). There's some team and home base management, and equipment research/upgrade elements as well.
I had quite a bit of fun with it.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 12, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
One Way Heroics

e: gone

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 12, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SynthOrange posted:

It's not difficult to reach the ending if you anticipate the game over scenarios. Otherwise you can be completely blindsided. One minute you're off to a birthday party, the next ARROW TO THE GUT.

Sure, but it's a fairly short game so it doesn't long to figure out how to avoid eating the chocolate and whatnot. You can get to the end within an hour, but it's unlikely to be a particularly good ending.

Reminds me that another thing I enjoyed was that having different skills leveled up affected the ending slides, like having high History leading to Elodie improving the education system.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Took this. Thanks a lot!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So, semi serious question; how the hell do you follow up Metal Gear Rising? What on earth could I possibly play next that won't feel flat and dull?
I mean I haven't really sunk my teeth into Rising's DLC, but they play so differently I want to do something completely different for a couple of weeks first, then learn to play as Sam :smug:
There's a couple of little things I want to achieve in Rising tomorrow, but then what? I feel so lost.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Helith posted:

So, semi serious question; how the hell do you follow up Metal Gear Rising? What on earth could I possibly play next that won't feel flat and dull?
I mean I haven't really sunk my teeth into Rising's DLC, but they play so differently I want to do something completely different for a couple of weeks first, then learn to play as Sam :smug:
There's a couple of little things I want to achieve in Rising tomorrow, but then what? I feel so lost.

Buy a second-hand 360 and play Bayonetta.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Play Binary Domain.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Become a king.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Become an anime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Become a Bulletstorm

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
become a godhand

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

You mean buy a Wii U and play Bayonetta 1, 2 and Wonderful 101

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Junkenstein posted:

Already have a 360 in the house, Mr Helith is the console gameplayer and I play on PC. He did have Bayonetta but didn't like it much, not sure if we brought it to Aus with us. Don't get much chance to use the consoles anyway, cos he hogs them after work.

Palpek posted:

Play Binary Domain.

It has a demo, I can check it out.

duckfarts posted:

Become a king.

No.

Palpek posted:

Become an anime.

Hmmm. I think my eyes are too small.

Looking at my backlog I have
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Dishonored
Mirrors Edge
Marlow Briggs
Bioshock Infinite
and a shitload of other stuff which isn't Metal Gear Rising.

I can't decide. I'm going to sleep on it and play more Rising tomorrow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd go with Dishonored then.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 12, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Or play Assassin's Creed 4, you can get so drunk even the loading screen knows it. :v:

(It's quite sad storywise there though :smith: )

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't know why you guys told me not to buy Obscure 2, it's incredible.

Chainsaw duel with Leatherface baby

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Helith posted:

Cook, Serve, Delicious
Dishonored
Mirrors Edge
Marlow Briggs
Bioshock Infinite

I can't decide. I'm going to sleep on it and play more Rising tomorrow.

They're all great games except for Marlow Briggs which is amazing (:smug:) so just roll a dice or something.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Helith posted:

Mr Helith is the console gameplayer and I play on PC. He did have Bayonetta but didn't like it much

sever

quote:

Cook, Serve, Delicious
Dishonored
Mirrors Edge
Marlow Briggs
Bioshock Infinite

Mirror's Edge is pretty decent except for a few frustrating parts and can be completed in about 4 or 5 hours if you're looking for something to mark off the list pretty quickly.

Dishonored owns, though, so play that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Dishonoured is the pick of that lot, as long as you're okay with stealth rather than all out action.

Actually, I'll check on that. Did anyone else find the combat in that game pretty bad? Teleporting onto a roof and then jumping off and landing knife first on a dudes head was great, as was possessing half an army one at a time and walking them individually to the edge of something tall and then throwing them off, but when I pissed someone off, it stopped being any good. It felt messy and awkward, particularly towards the end when you started getting harder enemies who wouldn't just let you block and then behead them one by one. It was really satisfying trying to play stealth, and running away was kind of fun, but if I ever turned to fight it was just kind of bad. Was that just me?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Nevett posted:

You mean buy a Wii U and play Bayonetta 1, 2 and Wonderful 101

Or wait a few months till Bayonetta 2 is released on Steam like everything else.

I hope so anyway. :pray:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MooCowlian posted:

Dishonoured is the pick of that lot, as long as you're okay with stealth rather than all out action.

Actually, I'll check on that. Did anyone else find the combat in that game pretty bad? Teleporting onto a roof and then jumping off and landing knife first on a dudes head was great, as was possessing half an army one at a time and walking them individually to the edge of something tall and then throwing them off, but when I pissed someone off, it stopped being any good. It felt messy and awkward, particularly towards the end when you started getting harder enemies who wouldn't just let you block and then behead them one by one. It was really satisfying trying to play stealth, and running away was kind of fun, but if I ever turned to fight it was just kind of bad. Was that just me?

It was kinda clunky, yeah. But I never really had a "problem" with it. I'd mainly just spam the whirlwind and time slowing abilities, then run around stabbing guys through the neck. Then if I found an opening maybe I'd run away.

By the end, I thought I had "high chaos" but nothing that people were describing about the high chaos final level applied to my experience. I snuck into the base, nobody had poisoned anybody that I recall... the ending seemed to reflect the high chaos part but it wasn't a "bad" ending. But I didn't really start with the mass killing until the last fourth of the game where I decided it'd be better to just play through my mistakes rather than reloading every single time I'm spotted.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

PowerBeard posted:

Or wait a few months till Bayonetta 2 is released on Steam like everything else.

Nintendo basically funded Bayonetta 2 by themselves so I wouldn't count on it.

Platinum does have a game based on The Legend of Korra coming out on Steam soonish (I've heard September) that looks like it will be pretty good, though, if you absolutely need a Platinum fix in the next couple of months.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

PowerBeard posted:

Isn't it being published by Nintendo?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Oh well, a goon can dream. :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MooCowlian posted:

Open combat was pretty good if you tried to outmanouver your opponents using all your arsenal had to offer while avoiding direct swordfights, jumping to higher ground etc.. If you just stood there while getting attacked by a wave of enemies then it was the opposite of fun but at the same time completely not the way the game should have been played.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Helith posted:

Play shadow of the colossus and you'll forget all about Rising.

I mean, what's more badass, a super cyborg ninja doing a bunch of flashy poo poo, or a guy with just a bow, a sword, a horse and one hell of a grip killing monsters that are 100 times bigger than him.

edit: you'll need a PS3 for that though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Isn't it being published by Nintendo?

It is, there's zero chance of it ever being on Steam.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

PowerBeard posted:

Bayonetta 2 not being on a console I want to play is the greatest crime of its generation in gaming. What an incredibly fun series. People who don't like Bayonetta are like moviegoers who don't like The Fifth Element. I don't trust 'em.

This coming from a person who hates God of War and Devil May cry and basically the whole genre of hit butan to make bloody combo games.

Palpek posted:

Play Binary Domain.

This is incorrect, as he didn't tell you to also play Alpha Protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/12/die-triangles-sierra-is-back-with-new-kings-quest-and-geometry-wars/

Sierra's making a new King's Quest and Geometry Wars. I'm excited for the latter, the dev is former Bizarre people too.

• Locked thread