Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

A Narrative of your posts
No need, there already is a bible.

Seriously though, thinking four hearlds one for each god .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

This is just asking for a photoshop to read "DARE YOU ENTER MY MAGICAL REALM?"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ghetto wormhole posted:

It HAS to be Post 9-11 User

Oh poo poo it all makes sense. RIP Post 9-11 User :(

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Wind them up by pointing out that BA are a codex chapter and shouldn't even have their own book.

This is the best idea. My BA-playing friend still has rants occasionally about how it's "bullshit that GKs get lv3 Psykers, because that's as good as Mephiston". He refuses to listen to my "A dedicated psyker in a chapter where everyone is a psyker is bound to be pretty loving good at what he does" point though. He's already calling the Space Wolves queue-jumpers so this is going to be glorious :allears:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Told some girl she couldn't come over because I had :siren:IMPORTANT THINGS:siren: to do which would require my attention all day. I proceeded to make up for the past few months of no-hobby time by hamming out all day with garden shears, an orbital sander, glue gun, tinfoil, and insulation foam.

Accessorizing my warzone dollhouse was more fun than I might want to admit to a normal person. The treehouse has a twin-linked autocannon on the roof, missile launcher covering the entrance, a searchlight, secret backdoor bunker entrance, and all manner of fun little bits. Still looking for ideas on what to put on the big empty platform on the far left.

I was getting a bit bored with most of my terrain being LOS-blocking pieces, so this should be a little more interactive and fun to play on. Everything separates and the heights are compatible with my stone temple ruins so that bridges can be used to connect them in different configurations.

EDIT: Found some photos from old battles on my phone. Immortalizing them here so I can delete them off the device.

Bewildered Squats open fire as they're charged by warp-enlivened daemon shrubs. That game we had daemon plants randomly coming to life and attacking the nearest unit.

Orks being cool, not caring, and riding motorcycles up staircases to seize the objective (their wandering bomb squig).

Boyz bog down a Wraithknight, which only squishes one or two a turn with its prissy little delicate hooves, as the Nob powerklaws it to death over three turns.

Gone muddin'.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 12, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

serious gaylord posted:

They're missing 2 inquisitors from the current codex, everything else has a model.

Didn't save Marbo. :smith:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cassa posted:

So where are ausgoons selling their 40k lately? Want to drop my excess marines and tanks for other things.

I know of wargamerau, but anywhere else?

There's a pretty great Facebook group called "wargamers buy swap and sell" that's world wide but I've found it's about 75% Austraian. I've picked up some great stuff through that group and offloaded plenty as well. Definitely worth checking out.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Absolutely love the wraithknight conversion here. Is it yours? If so, was it just rearranging and recutting the stock parts or were there other kits or sculpting mixed in?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Painted up another tactical squad and the Razorback that half of them get to use (the other half park in a building with the Plasma Cannon). They're up to my usual standards, in that they look bad up-close, but from a couple feet away they're legit.

The Razorback I bought off a friend, with the ForgeWorld doors and turret included, and goddamn if those doors aren't just the business.

The unpainted guy in the picture there is the DV Librarian I'm using as my HQ. He's the last model I have to paint for my thousand point list. I'm gonna get him finished by the weekend and then post a bunch of pics of my dudes getting annihilated by TheChirurgeon's chaos mans on his fancy cityfight table.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

Noted Eldar player Robin Williams died today, apparently by suicide. You will be greatly missed. I'll see you in the Infinity Circuit, old friend.

Goddamnit, this is how I find out? :smith:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Painted up another tactical squad and the Razorback that half of them get to use (the other half park in a building with the Plasma Cannon). They're up to my usual standards, in that they look bad up-close, but from a couple feet away they're legit.

The Razorback I bought off a friend, with the ForgeWorld doors and turret included, and goddamn if those doors aren't just the business.

The unpainted guy in the picture there is the DV Librarian I'm using as my HQ. He's the last model I have to paint for my thousand point list. I'm gonna get him finished by the weekend and then post a bunch of pics of my dudes getting annihilated by TheChirurgeon's chaos mans on his fancy cityfight table.

Fuckin' A man. Those mans look solid. Also yeah, The Land Raider/Rhino Doors from FW own.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Hey guys - even more armies going up for sale over in SA-Mart land! Eldar this time around, probably some Space Wolves next!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657216

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

PierreTheMime posted:

Personally I've done pretty well with the current codex, but I know some players have had different results.

They're done to death, but a Hive Tyrant with wings and two twin-linked Devourers is literally the best HQ, is fun, and fluffy. Don't bother going another route, this is the answer. They're fantastic and enjoyable.

Your Carnifex you can take a couple ways. I much prefer the cheaper all-melee version as they're one of the only models that can handily defeat AV13-14 armor (remember Smash allows you to reroll failed damage checks). All Carnifices are better in units of 2-3, but if you're starting out in a smaller game one is still plenty deadly.

As far as the rest of your army, you should consider at least one other unit of Synapse creatures, since a flying HT isn't going to be supporting the slower portions of the army well. I might suggest starting out with two Zoanthropes in two units of one model, as it will allow you to spread your Synapse coverage, provide redundancy, and boost your Warp charge count substantially. If you go this route, find Finecast models. I'm usually okay with either/or pewter or Finecast, but the Zoanthrope is extremely top-heavy and from experience I can tell you you don't want metal.

'Gant-wise I would recommend keeping it cheapish. 5pt Fleshborer Termagants do a great job and are pretty points-efficient. For Hormagaunts don't get too excited about upgrades. If anything, give them Toxin Sacs so you can take down tough targets more reliably.

Let us know if you need list help, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I assume that in the case of an all-melee Carnifex that the crushing claws would be the choice for pulverizing armor? In regards to the Zoanthropes, could I safely assume that they'd be useful for murdering transports as well? I've heard that Hive Guard are apparently good choices for this as well. At this point, I'd rather cover all of my bases and get the biggest bang for my buck, so I'm hoping that Zoanthropes can fill the synapse creature role as well as demolish both light and heavy armor. I do have a couple questions; how viable are warriors, and could they be useful as shrikes? Could I possibly assemble an army consisting mainly of flying creatures? Also, when assembling, I decided on balancing the weapon choices of my Termagaunts, so I have about 10+ Termagaunts each that are using spine fists/fleshborer/devourers. Supposedly devourers can be pretty potent but high in cost for Termagaunts, is it worth it?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Carnifexes are best left cheap in my experience, but magnetize the limbs if you can for when you want to mess around with other configurations without having to buy a whole new model. Two twin-linked Devourers are pretty good and reasonably cheap on them too, they don't have the mobility or ballistic skill as a Hive Tyrant, but they're cheap enough that they outnumber Flyrants on about a 3:2 ratio.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

NTRabbit posted:

Before Blood Angels and Dark Eldar, and I know a Deldar player a bit annoyed about that too

He's not alone. I was really hoping to get back into webway portal assault shenanigans.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I feel that Necron players are in the same situation as IG was before the new codex, dreading the day their codex gets redone because there will be nerfs.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I feel that Necron players are in the same situation as IG was before the new codex, dreading the day their codex gets redone because there will be nerfs.

The nerf bat will be swung hard at Necrons, though in fairness I think they may still keep their strenghts but loose the really silly stuff.

But if anything needs a nerf beat down it would be Tau. Riptides getting into the elite slot was a awful decision.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Heavy slot is already crowded enough.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The nerf bat will be swung hard at Necrons, though in fairness I think they may still keep their strenghts but loose the really silly stuff.

But if anything needs a nerf beat down it would be Tau. Riptides getting into the elite slot was a awful decision.

What about Eldar and their dedicated transport that is superior to most factions' MBTs?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

The Heavy slot is already crowded enough.

Not as crowded as the Tyranid Elite slot. Who thought it was a good idea to put the only sub-160pt source of Warp Charges (which are a Brotherhood so you want to take Zoas in single-model broods) in a slot where Hive Guard and Venomthropes are?

To me, a supersized Crisis suit is exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to find in the Heavy Support slot. It's traditionally the FOC slot where the biggest guns in the codex are available, just like Fast Attack is usually reserved for >6" movement, deepstrike and infiltrate units.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

What about Eldar and their dedicated transport that is superior to most factions' MBTs?

I used Wave Serpents before they were obscenely good, now everyone looks at me weird when I field them and I wish they'd put that effort on the Falcon instead :v:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Told some girl she couldn't come over because I had :siren:IMPORTANT THINGS:siren: to do which would require my attention all day. I proceeded to make up for the past few months of no-hobby time by hamming out all day with garden shears, an orbital sander, glue gun, tinfoil, and insulation foam.

Accessorizing my warzone dollhouse was more fun than I might want to admit to a normal person. The treehouse has a twin-linked autocannon on the roof, missile launcher covering the entrance, a searchlight, secret backdoor bunker entrance, and all manner of fun little bits. Still looking for ideas on what to put on the big empty platform on the far left.

I was getting a bit bored with most of my terrain being LOS-blocking pieces, so this should be a little more interactive and fun to play on. Everything separates and the heights are compatible with my stone temple ruins so that bridges can be used to connect them in different configurations.

EDIT: Found some photos from old battles on my phone. Immortalizing them here so I can delete them off the device.

Bewildered Squats open fire as they're charged by warp-enlivened daemon shrubs. That game we had daemon plants randomly coming to life and attacking the nearest unit.

Orks being cool, not caring, and riding motorcycles up staircases to seize the objective (their wandering bomb squig).

Boyz bog down a Wraithknight, which only squishes one or two a turn with its prissy little delicate hooves, as the Nob powerklaws it to death over three turns.

Gone muddin'.

This is awesome.

Have the platform on the left be a landing pad? You could have floodlights and a little comm tower and paint out the guide outlines for something like an Arvus or Valkryie--I'm picturing the markings you'd seen on an airport tarmac or near the terminal, not just a big outline. Just a thought.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rayjenkins posted:

Thanks for the advice. I assume that in the case of an all-melee Carnifex that the crushing claws would be the choice for pulverizing armor?
A Carnifex actually doesn't need Crushing Claws, as S9 rerolling armor penetration will generally succeed more often than it will fail (it's a 50/50 against AV14 targets). Adding an extra die pretty much guarantees penetrating hits to any target, but the points cost is generally not worth it. Most armor you'll be assaulting will be AV10-12 (back armor) and you'll want to reduce your losses in the event that your monster gets gunned down in its long run to glory.

Rayjenkins posted:

In regards to the Zoanthropes, could I safely assume that they'd be useful for murdering transports as well?
Zoanthropes have guaranteed access to Warp Blast, which is a powerful but incredibly unreliable shooting attack. When they hit, they are literally the most powerful anti-tank gun in the game, but hitting a target is really quite unreliable. You've got to commit at least four dice of Warp Charge to have an average roll of two successes manifesting, and THEN you have to succeed in making a shooting attack (3+). This can occasionally be a clutch move when it works, but you cannot rely on it--consider it a potential bonus rather than an ace-in-the-hole.

Rayjenkins posted:

I've heard that Hive Guard are apparently good choices for this as well.
Hive Guard are an "okay" choice. They are extremely expensive for what they do and are a shade of their former selves (they received a 5pt cost increase and a reduction of BS from 4 to 3 in the latest codex), but can be useful if you want some strong anti-transport guns. They deny cover which can be nice, but due to the change in the vehicle damage table they cannot possibly explode a vehicle unless that vehicle is Open Topped. It's possible that you can Glance things to death, but even if you field three in a unit you're only hitting with 3 of your 6 shots on the average, which would mean that you're putting two HP-worth of damage onto an AV11 vehicle. You might stun your target, or immobilize it, etc, but its not a very impressive effect for a 165pt unit. They are tough to kill and not complete slouches in close combat, so you can pretty confidently march them forward (which you'll need to do because their gun's range is relatively short) and use their presence to control the flow of the enemy. If you're going to field some, try and squeeze as much use out of them as possible.

Rayjenkins posted:

At this point, I'd rather cover all of my bases and get the biggest bang for my buck, so I'm hoping that Zoanthropes can fill the synapse creature role as well as demolish both light and heavy armor.
Zoanthropes are the best "bang for the buck" unit in the codex. For 50pts you get a ML2 Psyker with a 3+ Invulnerable save and Synapse. They're best used as support units, rolling Catalyst or other useful abilities as their second power from the Tyranid chart. In a pinch you can hold up strong enemy units with them, as they can potentially tank strong targets on their own as a stall so you can better position your forces or hold something off an objective at the end of the game. As mentioned above, their anti-tank role is great when it works, but pretty sketchy.

Rayjenkins posted:

I do have a couple questions; how viable are warriors, and could they be useful as shrikes?
Tyranid Warriors are... okay. They are incredibly vulnerable to S8+ weapons, which you will see often. They do serve a few niche purposes, such as being the linchpin for a rather good Formation (Living Artillery), but are generally not used because of how quickly they can be wiped out. Same goes for Shrikes. They're best avoided for better units because while they seem awesome and you want them to be great, they're incredibly disappointing. Your money is best spent elsewhere.

Rayjenkins posted:

Could I possibly assemble an army consisting mainly of flying creatures?
You could create an Unbound army with all Flying models, but in a legal Battle Forged list you can only come really close using the Skyblight Formation. That said, Skyblight lists are one of the strongest and most fun lists to play so you might want to consider it if it sounds interesting.

Rayjenkins posted:

Also, when assembling, I decided on balancing the weapon choices of my Termagaunts, so I have about 10+ Termagaunts each that are using spine fists/fleshborer/devourers. Supposedly devourers can be pretty potent but high in cost for Termagaunts, is it worth it?
Devourers can be good, but are pricey and I generally avoid them. I tend to use Termagants are chaff and as such avoid investing any amount of points. Because you can now field different weapons within the same unit a lot of people field large units of Termagants with 10-15 of them using Devourers and the rest remaining with Fleshborers to mitigate the loss of the more expensive weapons. It's not a bad idea, but it's not my bag.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 12, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

If BoLS is to be believed (HAHAHA no) then we might see the new GK codex again and in full before the end of the month:

quote:

All Pre-Orders August 16th
Release Date August 23rd

Sanctus Reach
Sanctus Reach: Hour of the Wolf $49.50 Hardback

Space Wolves
Warriors of the Fang $170 Plastic box
Space Wolves Skyclaws $37 Plastic box
Space Wolves Long Fangs $37 Plastic box

Grey Knights
Codex: Grey Knights $49.50 Hardback
Codex: Grey Knights (limited edition) $110 Hardback Book (web only)
Datacards: Grey Knights $8 Cards
Grey Knights Purifier Squad $33 Plastic box
Grey Knights Strike Squad $60 Plastic box
Grey Knights Paladin Squad $50 Plastic box
Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight $53.75 Plastic box
Grey Knights Land Raider $74.25 Plastic box
Grey Knights Venerable Dreadnought $46.30 Plastic box
Grey Knights Stormraven Gunship $82.50 Plastic box

Black Library
Horus Heresy: Horus Rising $9.99 Novel
Grey Knights Omnibus $17.50 Novel
Sanctus Reach: Blood on the Mountain $24 Novel
Sanctus Reach: Volume 2 $90 other book (web only)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

If BoLS is to be believed (HAHAHA no) then we might see the new GK codex again and in full before the end of the month:

There's already images of the next White Dwarf, 16 August, with the new GK codex mentioned on the cover, and they only do 1 week of advance notice before putting anything on the market, so it seems plausible

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Losing a ton of units and jacking the price up by a tenner is absolute wank.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Don't forget that they're putting Purifiers and Paladins in separate boxes for no real reason. Looks like a sprue shuffle to me, probably going to only have half the options in each box.
I did like how many options the PAGK and GKT kits had though. A GK venerable Dread kit debunks previous rumours of no new models, and I'm surprised by no shoehorned floating throne chariot a'la Logan Claus.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So if I have any interest in GK, buy now?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The Riptide wasn't and isn't the problem with Tau. Yeah, it's really tough for its price, but unless you are buffing it up with Markerlights/formations/Commander/psykers (the latter two being only last edition) it doesn't actually hit all that hard. S8 AP2 pie plate? That's basically a Leman Russ, and we all know how terrified everyone is of the vanilla Russ these days. It's only once you add in a bunch of force multipliers that the Riptide gets scary, and the problem there is the force multipliers, not the Riptide itself. A Buff Commander can make just about anything scary- that was hardly exclusive to the Riptide, and now that doing it that way isn't an option I see lots of people joining him to Crisis and Broadsides to just as good of effect.

Even on top of that, Tau as a whole aren't (and weren't) overpowered. They never dominated the tournament environment to an uncommon degree and they never won out of keeping with their attendance numbers. You might not like the army, but it certainly wasn't a game-wrecking monster that changed everything.

Also I'm puzzled as to why Riptides being EL (as opposed to, say, HS) was a bad decision. It means they compete with Crisis instead of Broadsides, but those units are fairly equivalent in a lot of ways- if it had been a HS unit instead, you would be seeing much more mobile, but less resilient, Tau armies; the final result would've been pretty identical, though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

A GK venerable Dread kit debunks previous rumours of no new models

Is it really a new model though, or just the SM one with a sheet of GK transfers or a GK accessory sprue? The regular SM one is $46.25, the new Wolves one is $54, and the alleged GK one is meant to be $46.30, seems a good chance it's the normal one with a 5c transfer sheet in a GK box.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm thinking of buying my first ever FW unit. A Lynx... (also an Avatar).

I think it's toned down enough and evenly costed for a LoW to actually be used in a normal tournament setting without being 'that rear end in a top hat'.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, I'm thinking I want to try Kill Team sometime. For Tau, it seems pretty simple to figure out what's good. Fire warriors look great, I think a set of stealth suits could prove handy, maybe a Crisis.

But Orks... what would they bring? A fuckton of lovely boyz? Nobz? I just don't know what'd be useful in smaller numbers. I'd say meganobz, but IIRC a lot of KT rulesets ban 2+ saves, and they're slow and expensive.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Is it really a new model though, or just the SM one with a sheet of GK transfers or a GK accessory sprue? The regular SM one is $46.25, the new Wolves one is $54, and the alleged GK one is meant to be $46.30, seems a good chance it's the normal one with a 5c transfer sheet in a GK box.

You do raise a good point. Since no new models are being released, they can't nerf anything to make new models better by comparison, right? Right? :ohdear:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

So, I'm thinking I want to try Kill Team sometime. For Tau, it seems pretty simple to figure out what's good. Fire warriors look great, I think a set of stealth suits could prove handy, maybe a Crisis.

But Orks... what would they bring? A fuckton of lovely boyz? Nobz? I just don't know what'd be useful in smaller numbers. I'd say meganobz, but IIRC a lot of KT rulesets ban 2+ saves, and they're slow and expensive.

I'm a big fan of taking 30 boys 2 big shootas and a rokkit launcher comes in at exactly 200 points

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

HiveCommander posted:

You do raise a good point. Since no new models are being released, they can't nerf anything to make new models better by comparison, right? Right? :ohdear:

They already don't do that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Other than losing some units the IG/AM codex is WAAAAAY better than it was before. Vendettas are still a really good unit, they were one of the most undercosted things in the game in the last codex and one of the few things keeping it from actually seeming like the poor codex it was.

What else is there? Manticores went up 10 points but they don't lose all their missiles to a single weapon destroyed result so that alone is easily worth the extra cost. Chimeras were frankly pretty silly letting 5 guys shoot out the back. It didn't make any sense from the model's perspective and it just encouraged a shitload of boring vetspam. Harker got worse but he sucked in the first place.

In exchange literally everything else got better/cheaper or at absolute worst stayed exactly the same. The 5th ed codex was a lovely codex held up entirely by a couple really good units. The 6th edition codex is closer to the Necron codex in that it's generally quite good all around except for a few subpar units which really aren't even all that terrible when you look at the stinkers in a lot of the other codexes.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
GK release is looking to be the laziest by far.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cataphract posted:

I'm a big fan of taking 30 boys 2 big shootas and a rokkit launcher comes in at exactly 200 points

Hm, makes sense. Drown them in boyz! Shame shootas cost an extra point now.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They already don't do that.

5th edition Carnifexes doubling in points cost competing with the new Trygon kit. Your move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

A Carnifex actually doesn't need Crushing Claws, as S9 rerolling on the damage table will generally succeed more often than it will fail
How do Carnifexes get a damage table re-roll?

PierreTheMime posted:

Hive Guard are an "okay" choice.... but its not a very impressive effect for a 195pt unit.
It's 165pts for a full unit, and while they're no longer a must-take like in 5th Hive Guard are still a solid choice. Impaler Cannons ignore all cover and line of sight still; which is not only rather powerful in itself, but also means you can completely hide your unit and keep it safe. That can help create a large no-go zone for your opponent in the middle of the table.
My personal favourite Hive Guard moment is when my opponent ran a lone dude out behind the wreck of Pask's Russ to claim an objective on turn 5. The tank blocked all my other shooting, and I had nothing with Objective Secured nearby to contest it. Hive Guard don't give a gently caress about actually seeing their target though, and promptly blapped him to win the game. That was after they'd glanced down Pask because he couldn't see them to do anything about it.

PierreTheMime posted:

Tyranid Warriors are... okay. They are incredibly vulnerable to S8+ weapons, which you will see often. They do serve a few niche purposes, such as being the linchpin for a rather good Formation (Living Artillery), but are generally not used because of how quickly they can be wiped out.
It's very easy to underestimate Warriors. For 100pts you get an Objective Secured scoring unit that provides synapse, isn't hard to keep in cover, and has a large blast Pinning attack with a decent range. I'm using them much more often since 7E to fulfill my minimum troops requirement, hold backfield objectives and provide backup synapse for advancing units.

PierreTheMime posted:

Devourers can be good, but are pricey and I generally avoid them. I tend to use Termagants are chaff and as such avoid investing any amount of points. Because you can now field different weapons within the same unit a lot of people field large units of Termagants with 10-15 of them using Devourers and the rest remaining with Fleshborers to mitigate the loss of the more expensive weapons. It's not a bad idea, but it's not my bag.
A good counterpart to Flyrants is to take a decent-sized unit of gaunts with a few devourers, and Outflank them with Hive Commander. With the weight of fire they can cause a fair bit of damage on arrival, especially to things like heavy weapon squads or light armour. I normally run 20-30 guants with 5-10 devourers. It's not too expensive but can be very effective.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread