Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
MP quits because £120,000 plus expenses is "intolerable".

quote:

The Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds has resigned from the Government and will stand down as an MP next year, claiming that “intolerable” parliamentary allowances were not enough to allow him to bring his family from Lincolnshire and rent a flat in London.

As the FCO minister for Africa, Mr Simmonds has recently been chairing meetings at the United Nations on the continuing political crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Downing Street emphasised that the loss of a second Foreign Office minister within a week, following the resignation of Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, was unconnected and that Mr Simmonds’ decision to leave the Government “was made before the situation in Gaza and Israel had developed”.

However Labour’s shadow Foreign Minister, John Spellar, said the departure of a key Foreign Minister was “another blow” to a Government already reeling from the highly embarrassing resignation of Lady Warsi.

Elected to the Commons in 2001, Mr Simmonds claimed the lack of financial support available to MPs with families who lived outside London in the revamped expenses system had meant he now needed to “focus on providing for my family”.

Married with three school-age children, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority [IPSA] which regulates and oversees MPs business costs and expenses, said Mr Simmonds would have been eligible to claim just over £28,000 a year to rent a family home in London.

He would also have been eligible to claim 30 return journeys a year from London to his Lincolnshire constituency for each member of his family.

A spokesman for IPSA said it was “not uncommon” for MPs from outside the capital to bring their families to London. “The provision is there for them to live in London,” he said.

Mr Simmonds however said that the allowances available in the post-expenses scandal regime “does not allow me to rent a flat which can accommodate my family, so I very rarely see them”.

Ruling out a family flat in central London, Mr Simmonds said that travelling from the “outer reaches of London” was not the lifestyle he wanted. He added: “the sacrifice to my family life has become intolerable.”

Downing Street said Mr Simmonds had told the Prime Minister he wanted to stand down on 4 August.

Mr Simmonds himself said his resignation had been agreed at the time of last month’s ministerial reshuffle and had been influenced by the David Cameron’s desire to refresh his Government with people who would be standing at the next election.

In the PM’s reply to Mr Simmonds’ resignation letter, Mr Cameron said: “This was something we agreed some weeks ago and [was] a decision I know you have given some thought to over recent weeks.”

Mr Cameron’s comment that Mr Simmonds had “served on the Conservative front bench for much of the last decade” is an acknowledgement that has lost another experienced member of his foreign affairs team.

After the departure of William Hague as Foreign Secretary, opposition MPs pointed out that the loss of Mr Simmonds would leave the FCO looking less authoritative.

The announcement that the former whip James Duddridge would be the new Africa Minister, increased the number of eurosceptics in Government. Last year Mr Duddridge said that Britain should tell the European Union to “sod off” rather than pay welfare benefits to immigrants from Romania and Bulgaria.

Conservative colleagues of Mr Simmonds speculated that pressure in his Boston and Skegness constituency from increasing support for Ukip may also have contributed to his decision to walk away from frontline politics. One local Tory said that recent local success by Ukip was not expected to diminish by the time of next year’s general election.

This article fails to point out that he's also getting £50,000 a year shilling for Private healthcare companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Simmonds' expenses totalled over £173,000 in 2013.

He also voted strongly in favour of the benefit cap :ironicat:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
This is the best bit of that article:

quote:

Ruling out a family flat in central London, Mr Simmonds said that travelling from the “outer reaches of London” was not the lifestyle he wanted. He added: “the sacrifice to my family life has become intolerable.”

IOW, he did get enough to live in nicer outlying parts of London and commute (like, you know, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people do), but his life simply wasn't worth living unless he could afford a big family house 5 minutes' walk from work in one of the most expensive areas in the world.

Of course, he voted in favour of the bedroom tax and cutting funds to support people having difficulties with council tax, and against raising benefits in line with inflation or increasing sickness/disability benefits.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Thatcher on a stamp.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/12/margaret-thatcher-prime-ministers-stamps-royal-mail

Grauniad posted:

Margaret Thatcher famously opposed the sale of the Royal Mail, insisting that she was "not prepared to have the Queen's head privatised".

So it is something of an irony that less than a year after the coalition government controversially sold off the venerable institution, the Royal Mail has decided to put Baroness Thatcher's head on a stamp for the first time. Thatcher is one of eight British prime ministers to feature on a set of stamps produced to mark the 200th anniversary of the office.

Though some of the leaders have appeared before (notably Winston Churchill, who has twice been honoured with his own set) this will be the first time a whole series of stamps has been dedicated to prime ministers.

The Thatcher stamp shows the "iron lady" in relaxed mode in a pale blue outfit gazing out towards the viewer on a first class stamp. Other 20th century PMs whose faces appear on the first class stamps include Churchill, splendid in spotted bow tie, and – providing political balance – the Labour leaders Clement Attlee and a pipe-smoking Harold Wilson.

I want to say "At least they have Attlee". But the venom I have for Thatcher is not helping make that happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

MP quits because £120,000 plus expenses is "intolerable".

This article fails to point out that he's also getting £50,000 a year shilling for Private healthcare companies.

Hold on, just trying to work through the numbers here - isn't the £120,000 his salary plus his expenses? The income for an MP is £67,000. Do ministers get paid more, or are you including his income from Circle Healthcare in that?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Darth Walrus posted:

Hold on, just trying to work through the numbers here - isn't the £120,000 his salary plus his expenses? The income for an MP is £67,000. Do ministers get paid more, or are you including his income from Circle Healthcare in that?
He was a minister, on a salary of around £89,000.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

You're right, it's £120,000 with the expenses allowing for him to move his family to London, my mistake.

Also in looking that up I found out that his wife was on his payroll at £25,000 a year.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're right, it's £120,000 with the expenses allowing for him to move his family to London, my mistake.

Also in looking that up I found out that his wife was on his payroll at £25,000 a year.

So they had a combined income of £160k per year? (Without the private healthcare 'consultancy' fees).
And this little wankstain is complaining that he couldn't find somewhere nice to live?
gently caress off then. You won't be missed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This should be popular, the people of Britain love licking Thatcher's backside.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
To be honest my original reaction to this story was to think that his complaint wasn't unreasonable. He wants a good quality of family life, and that's very difficult if you live in London without being mega-rich (given the absurd cost of living, commuting time, etc.). He's fortunate that he has the option to ditch his life at Westminster and do something else, which will likely be lucrative for him (especially if he has links to private health care). Most people don't have that option.

He can still be criticised to the extent that he fails to recognise that many other people are in a worse position than him, and that Tory policies are at least partially responsible for that. But I don't think his decision and his reasoning for it are themselves unreasonable: if I felt my quality of life and contact with my family was poorer than it should be, and that I had the option to change that, I would do the same as him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

That's bullshit it's not for training purposes.

True story - if you ring their main switchboard number the recorded announcement simply says "Welcome to GCHQ. Your calls will be recorded."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Yesterday our cat died. He was six. He died in the car on the way to the vets to be put to sleep.

Today my girlfriend discovered she needs $7000 of oral surgery but because of how her teeth are messed up (She was born with a lot of problems with her mouth), she has to get an implant, so other options are off the table. Insurance doesn't cover it because it's classed as cosmetic, and she can't get it abroad because it's a series of procedures that takes a total of up to six months. Our marriage plans just got thrown right out of the window.

And now Robin Williams is dead.

This is the worst loving two days. So, someone please tell me where I can get free, strong booze? And a lot of it?

Can she not get it on the NHS? Seven grand is a lot of teeth, which should take it from cosmetic to "can't loving eat". I got a full mouth of implants on the NHS, but my max-fac surgeon had to fight for it. Get one on your side and you might have a chance.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

True story - if you ring their main switchboard number the recorded announcement simply says "Welcome to GCHQ. Your calls will be recorded."
Just tried this and it said "thank you for your call, which may be recorded for lawful purposes" :)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

StoicFnord posted:

Thatcher on a stamp.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/12/margaret-thatcher-prime-ministers-stamps-royal-mail

I want to say "At least they have Attlee". But the venom I have for Thatcher is not helping make that happen.

You'd think they'd hold off on stuff like this, what with the whole "Thatcher covered up child molestation" thing that's still ongoing.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Gonzo McFee posted:

You'd think they'd hold off on stuff like this, what with the whole "Thatcher covered up child molestation" thing that's still ongoing.

Like that will ever actually enter into people's minds. I'm quite pleased tbh, looking forward to receiving mail with that stamp, find out who sent it so I can tell them to do one and then burn the envelope whilst laughing like a madman.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

This should be popular, the people of Britain love licking Thatcher's backside.

stamps have been self adhesive for two decades now grandad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

Thatcher's influence was so transcending that even inanimate objects embraced personal responsibility instead of relying on the effort of others to make their way in the world.

Is a man not entitled to his own spit?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

TinTower posted:

Mentioned this a few pages back.

One has to wonder how much Big Bob knew about Hedley. We've had enough of thread heroes turning out to have lovely rape politics for a lifetime. :smith:
They've launched a disciplinary procedure against him: http://mediadarlings.net/2014/08/11...t-all-mind-you/

The key part is that the head of the Morning Star's management committee, Bob Oram, describes himself on Twitter as:

"Chair Morning Star Management Committee. Member Cuba Solidarity Executive. Works for, and proud member of campaigning and organising transport union RMT"

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

kingturnip posted:

So they had a combined income of £160k per year? (Without the private healthcare 'consultancy' fees).
And this little wankstain is complaining that he couldn't find somewhere nice to live?
gently caress off then. You won't be missed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

loving Tories, not content with selling off the Mail they have to ruin perfectly good jokes as well.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Can she not get it on the NHS? Seven grand is a lot of teeth, which should take it from cosmetic to "can't loving eat". I got a full mouth of implants on the NHS, but my max-fac surgeon had to fight for it. Get one on your side and you might have a chance.

As a child I had severe overcrowding and teeth that just didn't meet properly at all, which made eating difficult. My dentist considered the required fixes to be "medical" rather than merely "cosmetic". I got all my train tracks and teeth extractions done on the NHS as a result. That was 20+ years ago tho', dunno what it's like nowadays.

Certainly worth asking.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If it's seven thousand dollars then i'd assume she's outside of the UK?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zimbabwe have managed to make South Africa bat again :unsmith:.

I mean, the scores are level and they only have three second-innings wickets left, but it's something.

e: haha whoops this is not the cricket thread

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 12, 2014

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Gonzo McFee posted:

MP quits because £120,000 plus expenses is "intolerable"

Thats not really a good reason. You became an MP. MP's usually work in London. At what point did he think this through?

Its also galling because my dad was in the Navy and growing up he'd be gone Monday to Friday and, in some cases would be away from home for up to eight months.

We live in the age of Skype and mobile communications. What's wrong with going down early monday morning and back on friday evening and just skyping the family for the day's he's in London?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

loving Tories, not content with selling off the Mail they have to ruin perfectly good jokes as well.

was it really good in the first place

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Venmoch posted:

Thats not really a good reason. You became an MP. MP's usually work in London. At what point did he think this through?

Its also galling because my dad was in the Navy and growing up he'd be gone Monday to Friday and, in some cases would be away from home for up to eight months.

We live in the age of Skype and mobile communications. What's wrong with going down early monday morning and back on friday evening and just skyping the family for the day's he's in London?

don't want to single you out in particular, but it's amazing how many people have just accepted the premise that a family of 5 can't live in London on their considerable means.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
What a loving bellend. I rented a very nice two bedroom place with a flatmate next to Farringdon for £21k total over the year. My cousin has moved into a house in Stratford and is paying £160/wk including all bills and council tax.

But oh gently caress, of course, that's about a 25 minute commute. INTOLERABLE

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Cerv posted:

don't want to single you out in particular, but it's amazing how many people have just accepted the premise that a family of 5 can't live in London on their considerable means.
This isn't what he was complaining about. You can get a 4-bed house in somewhere like Barking or Ealing on a salary like that. He wanted to live in Zone 1, in Westminster, right bang slap in the centre, on plutocrat's row because he couldn't be bothered to take the half-hour commute that a place in Zone 2 would require.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Zephro posted:

This isn't what he was complaining about. You can get a 4-bed house in somewhere like Barking or Ealing on a salary like that. He wanted to live in Zone 1, in Westminster, right bang slap in the centre, on plutocrat's row because he couldn't be bothered to take the half-hour commute that a place in Zone 2 would require.

Well he might have to get on the train with proles, and that simply wouldn't do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

If it's seven thousand dollars then i'd assume she's outside of the UK?

Gosh darn it didnt see the dollar sign.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Zephro posted:

Ah right, I didn't realise you could afford something like that on his money. My assumption was that the only thing he would be able to afford would be right on the outskirts of London. In that case I retract my defence of him.

Edit: To be honest though, if his kids live in Lincolnshire they presumably go to school there, so they couldn't come and live with him in London anyway. So it might be that his main problem is that he has to spend so much time away from his family to do his job. If that's the case then I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stop. Living away from a family you actually like must be pretty miserable. I know lots of people don't have a choice in the matter, but if I was in his shoes I'd probably prefer to spend more time with my family if I had the choice.

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 12, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

All I can think of now is the posh twat I saw on TV saying we don't need transport links between the north and south because we have video conferencing now, like a loving miner from Barnsley is just going to hop on Skype.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Cerv posted:

Hey man no problem, working in London (and escaping its housing market by living outside) I can totally understand that some places in London would be completely outside the realm of possibility.

My point, (which was poorly made admittedly) is that he should be more than capable of doing what I'm sure some other MP's (and I know for some certainty that MOD personel do to) is have a flat in Central London and stay there during the week and then return home for the weekend.

Also as someone who regularly travels into London for work, the idea that the commute is "Intolerable" rubs salt into the wound somewhat. Its not that bad. Just get a decent rail route. If you're in Barking you can use the C2C. Its punctual and inexpensive. No first class though. So that may be an issue!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Venmoch posted:

Read the article. He whines about how everything was OK until he was no longer able to diddle his expenses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zero Star posted:

They've launched a disciplinary procedure against him: http://mediadarlings.net/2014/08/11...t-all-mind-you/

The key part is that the head of the Morning Star's management committee, Bob Oram, describes himself on Twitter as:

"Chair Morning Star Management Committee. Member Cuba Solidarity Executive. Works for, and proud member of campaigning and organising transport union RMT"

Christ, that's so obviously a conflict of interest that a two-year-old could see.

Seriously, the fact that Oram effectively works under Steve Hedley at the moment should have meant almost immediate recusal from a journalistic viewpoint.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

stefania_r posted:

Really? I know that Israel has no civil marriage but I assumed that Christians/Muslims can just get married in a religious ceremony.

Yeah, Israel still has a version of the Millet system running where they recognise a set number of Churches which can perform marriage ceremonies according to their rules. The only big thing religious rule wise is that they don't allow polygyny which is in Islam but banned in Israel.

The major issue, as you say, is with civil marriage but apparently they passed a law in 2010 allowing civil marriage if both parties are officially not of any religion.

Where did that Cyprus story come from btw?

[edit] Oh, it looks like it is Jews heading off to Cyprus to marry where various strictures on Jewish marriage would not allow them to marry in Israel. Also, apparently intermarriage between religious communities is also really difficult (keep the line pure!).

http://www.thejewishweek.com/special-sections/celebrate/married-mediterranean-not-israel

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 12, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Plavski posted:

2. She is getting a lifetime's worth of teeth issues fixed, your wedding is just a day you can have whenever.

That's true, except we live on different continents and we need to pay for a visa if we want to actually live together. Neither of us care much about the wedding ceremony, we just want to be married and live together.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Who's classing it as cosmetic? The insurance company?

Sorry to hear about your cat. Our previous cat died at 4 (had cat-AIDS), it is not easy to deal with even when you see it coming.

Sorry about your cat too :( But thank you for taking care of an FIV cat, they need love too :3:

And it's classed as cosmetic by pretty much everyone. Unless it comes as a result of injury, or is needed to prevent future serious problems, it looks like dental implants are pretty much always classed as cosmetic. We've looked through every single clinic we could find in Montana and every single one of them considers implants cosmetic and doesn't cover them, and I've been looking at this end as well with the same results. Then we looked at health tourism options, but that's not really an option because the implant procedure requires more than one visit over a period of several months.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

She's in America sadly, and she's the one with the apartment and car and job (due to me going loopy I moved back in with my mum after uni) so it would be a real fucker to bring her this way to live together. Believe it or not it's only one tooth. Unfortunately it's a front one so she can't really go without. If she was here and had a decent dentist then yeah we'd probably have a case, but... :negative:

Anyway I didn't mean to fill the thread with E/N I just had to rant last night and I'd already ranted at everyone who would listen throughout the day. Back to your regularly scheduled Britain Is hosed, Hail Thatcher.

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

If you don't care about the ceremony, just get it done as cheaply as possible. Not many people can really afford to spaff away what could be a housing deposit on one day (though they often do so anyway because social expectations, conspicuous consumption etc.) Not directed at you, just irks me to see people start married life by acquiring a load of debt because they feel like they have to have fancy place settings and other daft poo poo.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Cerv posted:

Special stamps like this generally aren't, joke restored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I had to go to Glasgow airport today and saw a couple of police officers wandering about with massive guns. Is that normal now? I think that's literally the first time I've seen a gun in real life.

• Locked thread