Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 2m
Spoke to many people here at Xbox press conference on Tomb Raider. Official line is that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015."
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499192318914998272

If they're sticking to that specific phrasing then, yeah, "exclusive" probably means "exclusive in 2015."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I still want a mass effect trilogy that includes all of the DLC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 2m
Spoke to many people here at Xbox press conference on Tomb Raider. Official line is that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015."
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499192318914998272

As annoying as the dorito pope is, he pretty much is the game developer shill that gets all of the best info. So i'm going to trust that this is accurate and confirms what we all suspected anyways.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
"Exclusive for Holiday 2015" is the worst loving marketing speak I've ever heard.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Taint Reaper posted:

I still want a mass effect trilogy that includes all of the DLC.

God yes. Played all 3 on PC, would love to head through them again with a controller on the couch.

As far as Tomb Raider, I love that they marketdroids are already coyly saying "it'll be out on other things eventually" and not just denying it upfront.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

As annoying as the dorito pope is, he pretty much is the game developer shill that gets all of the best info. So i'm going to trust that this is accurate and confirms what we all suspected anyways.

He's a very strange, sorrowful man. You always get the impression from him that he hates what his job has become, and can't stand being the shill mouthpiece that he is. But he doesn't see any alternative if he wants to keep the (relative) fame and prominence he has in the industry, and he can't bring himself to give that up.

Brendan Fraser should play him in the biopic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That's really disappointing as I loved the previous Tomb Raider but oh well I guess they don't want my money, their loss as I'll find something else to play.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Speaking of drugs, here's Giantbomb exploding some more over Hohokum http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-hohokum/2300-9321/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

That's really disappointing as I loved the previous Tomb Raider but oh well I guess they don't want my money, their loss as I'll find something else to play.

We will be playing Uncharted 4 instead.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I said come in! posted:

And also Rise of Tomb Raider give-or-take four months down the line.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got my replacement PS4 for my one that was DOA, and this one is also giving me trouble.

It booted just fine with the stock HD. I then turned it off, put in the 2TB HD, and booted into Safe Mode.

Did a re-install of the system software, and it seemed to go ok. It went through two progress bars (I think one was initializing, the other was preparing to install software?) Both got to 100%, and then it rebooted, and now it's doing exactly what it was doing before.

I'm getting a blank screen (though the TV still sees it as an input from the PS4,) and a flashing blue light on the PS4.

I thought maybe the PS4 update file was corrupted, so I used a different USB stick, re-downloaded the file and tried again...same thing (though I can still get into Safe Mode, so it's doing better than the first PS4 I had.)

What in the gently caress? Is it possible the drive I got is hosed? If so, then I'm screwed with that, because it's the external Seagate drive that is recommended in this thread, so I'm pretty sure the warranty was voided the instant I broke it open.

I guess I'll just go back to the 500 GB hard drive and say gently caress it to this whole HD upgrade fiasco.

Yeah, I think the 2 TB drive is hit-and-miss, it's like right on the edge of the maximum power output of a PS4 and it only works on some units with no rhyme or reason. The 1.5 TB drive is the largest "safe" choice that will pretty much work with anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone mentioned how stupid the title "Rise of Tomb Raider" is? It's so bad I thought people in this thread were joking when they first started talking about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

muscles like this? posted:

Has anyone mentioned how stupid the title "Rise of Tomb Raider" is? It's so bad I thought people in this thread were joking when they first started talking about it.

Should've been "Enter the Tomb Raider"

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Well I hope Rise of the Tomb Raider Super Turbo Edition hits the PS4 sooner rather than later.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There was already a game called Tomb Raider: Underworld so I think we're all just done making fun of silly Tomb Raider titles. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S-E should rename it to Tomb Raider One.

Belan
May 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

What in the gently caress? Is it possible the drive I got is hosed? If so, then I'm screwed with that, because it's the external Seagate drive that is recommended in this thread, so I'm pretty sure the warranty was voided the instant I broke it open.

I guess I'll just go back to the 500 GB hard drive and say gently caress it to this whole HD upgrade fiasco.

Did you update the PS4 firmware before you took the original HD out? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they added support for 2TB drives in an update.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

I said come in! posted:

This is true, but Tomb Raider was leagues better than Uncharted 3. ND has to prove to me that they learned their lesson.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

univbee posted:

Yeah, I think the 2 TB drive is hit-and-miss, it's like right on the edge of the maximum power output of a PS4 and it only works on some units with no rhyme or reason. The 1.5 TB drive is the largest "safe" choice that will pretty much work with anything.

I was going to chime in with this. I would guess that very minor manufacturing defects can make an individual 2TB unit, even the models people have gotten to work, just suck up a little too much power to work in the PS4. That's why 1.5TB is currently the largest supported drive. Again, I'm going to advocate the 1TB hybrid.

That Tomb Raider thing is sort of amusing. I mean, I guess it's a safer bet for a huge marketing blitz than Sunset Overdrive, which gets more mixed responses, but it's still just Tomb Raider. I wonder how much cash was involved.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I said come in! posted:

S-E should rename it to Tomb Raider One.

"Because it's all your Tomb Raiding needs in one convenient package! What do you mean it's confusing?"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

univbee posted:

Whoa, really? I haven't had any issues with my 2TB. :sweatdrop: Bullet dodged.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

PantsBandit posted:

People have different metrics on fighting games than you do, maybe? Injustice is easy to get into, stars recognizable characters, looks good, and still manages to have a decent amount of strategic depth. Plus, plenty of people found Bastion to be GOTY in a year that included games like Skyrim and Arkham city.

Megasabin posted:

If Injustice can be considered a great fighting game, and Transistor is GOTY, I think that says a lot for how this year in games has been going so far. Although to be fair a large portion of triple AAA releases are Sept-Dec.

It also helped that Injustice was €15 and let me throw cars at my friends before punching them through the moon.

I never got to play Bastion, so that probably helped me get starry-eyed over Transistor.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gameday posted:

This is true, but Tomb Raider was leagues better than Uncharted 3. ND has to prove to me that they learned their lesson.

The narration and flow of the story was all over the drat place, but the set pieces I thought were just as good as 2... I think if they try and narrow the scope of the story a bit the game will be fine.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I honestly don't mind it - it at least has more imagination than 'Tomb Raider 2'.

abagofcheetos posted:

The narration and flow of the story was all over the drat place, but the set pieces I thought were just as good as 2... I think if they try and narrow the scope of the story a bit the game will be fine.

Not to mention that the story was affected by Cutter's actor needing to exit halfway through.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does the drive work outside of the PS4? Like if you put it back in the enclosure can you get it working on a laptop and reformat it?

univbee posted:

As of firmware 1.7 I think, maybe earlier, there shouldn't be any issue with that drive, there was a 50/50 shot of it working prior to that, but it should be fine now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BreakAtmo posted:

I honestly don't mind it - it at least has more imagination than 'Tomb Raider 2'.

2mb Raider

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

haveblue posted:

2mb Raider

Xbone doesn't have enough RAM for that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

His tweet is the only source I'm seeing for the "timed exclusive" thing. Everywhere else is still just saying it's an "exclusive," no "timed" mentioned. Are there any other sources for that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lara Croft vs. Tombs: Dawn of the Tomb Raider

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Crows Turn Off posted:

His tweet is the only source I'm seeing for the "timed exclusive" thing. Everywhere else is still just saying it's an "exclusive," no "timed" mentioned. Are there any other sources for that?

To be fair, Xbox isn't about to go "Don't worry PS4 users, you'll be able to play eventually!" and I don't think they'd like it if SE did the same. All you get is just some reading between the lines.

EDIT: And also we've been down this path before, with other "exclusive" games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Square Enix needs money and it was probably a more than substantial amount to scatter sales.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

The fact that they haven't come right out and said 'it's not coming to PS4 and PC' and are instead using very cagey language is a giveaway. For example, the announcement saying "Coming Holiday 2015 Exclusively on Xbox" rather than the "Only on Xbox" wording real exclusives get. It's subtle, but it's there. The best explanation for that is that it's timed but they don't want people to know about that for as long as possible.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Did they ever fix the save corruption glitch with Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I played TR when it came out on PS+ and I wasn't really thrilled with it, after the initial intro I found it sort of boring. Don't think I ever beat it.

I might pick up Definitive Edition when it's been out for long enough to be super cheap, but as far as console exclusives go I don't really think it's a big deal that the Xbone's getting it.

(Plus even if they claim until they're blue in the face that it'll be an exclusive forever, I guarantee you they will eventually port it to PC/PS4 within a few years as an "ultimate edition" or whatever.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Belan posted:

Did you update the PS4 firmware before you took the original HD out? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they added support for 2TB drives in an update.

Hmm...I didn't, so maybe I'll try that. The original is in, and it's all set up and working now...though the only games I have are the two free PS+ games right now (Fez and...something else I can't recall.) I'll also put the HD back in the enclosure and see if it can be seen by my PC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Every single one of those songs, at least the half dozen I listened to, sounds like they have been through a lovely Boards of Canada filter/plugin. That's annoying. I love BoC, but c'mon people, they were amazing because they sounded like BoC before you could just run your poo poo through a logic plugin and magically achieve that sound. /rant off

That said, I'm looking forward to the game too. It looks absolutely bonkers.

You're entitled to your opinion and all but most of these are established musicians that have been around. That BOC "filter" is just IDM or whatever the genre is called these days...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that soundtrack pretty much convinced me to pick up Hohokum even though I'd never heard of it til today.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'm actually way more pissed about the next Tomb Raider being loving cross-gen in Holiday 2015. Even when the Definitive Edition comes out Summer 2016 it's still going to be designed around the limitations of the 360, what a shame.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Welp I guess stupid loving Squeenix doesn't want my 60 bux. Considering how much bellyaching they did about the first Tomb Raider not being a commercial success (which was dumb because it did fine) this seems like a really weird and stupid move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Journey is targetiing 60FPS for the PS4 release, and Unfinished Swan is coming to PS4. No word on the efpeeses of the Unfinished Swan, but both will be cross buy!

Just makes me upset I never did finish or 100% Unfinished Swan when I had a functioning PS3. Not opposed to trying the Unfinished Swan again though.

• Locked thread