Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SpookyLizard posted:

OP is terribly out of date, Pangu will work on 7.1.2. There's no whacky chinese spyware and the thing is pretty solid. Somethings are a little 'eh' with 7.1.2, but a lot of them seem fine or have beta versions.

One exception, it installs this piece of poo poo called PPSync that causes stability issues, but it's easily removed. It's not malicious, just poorly written.

I like how the thread title is almost two iOS and iPhone generations behind now. Does anyone moderate these forums anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I think the second release of Pangu got rid of it. Chinese version had a checkbox with it checked by default (you could unselect it) while the English one didn't even bundle it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pangu just updated, and it now includes saurik's Apple File Conduit "2".

No reason to re-jailbreak, but if you're on iOS 7.1 or 7.1.2 and haven't done it yet, well, get to it. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kheldarn posted:

Pangu just updated, and it now includes saurik's Apple File Conduit "2".

No reason to re-jailbreak, but if you're on iOS 7.1 or 7.1.2 and haven't done it yet, well, get to it. :)

I've been totally off jailbreak news for, well, thousands of posts. I'm jail broke ipad Air on 7.04.

It's safe/stable for me to take this to 7.12 and jailbreak?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Feenix posted:

I've been totally off jailbreak news for, well, thousands of posts. I'm jail broke ipad Air on 7.04.

It's safe/stable for me to take this to 7.12 and jailbreak?
Yup! Just make sure you update via iTunes by plugging in to a computer. Jailbreaking after doing an OTA update doesn't always work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cawd Rud posted:

Yup! Just make sure you update via iTunes by plugging in to a computer. Jailbreaking after doing an OTA update doesn't always work.

So:

Backup
Update via iTunes
Rejailbreak
Put all my JB stuff back on...

Yea?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yeah, that's exactly it. I usually just take note of what I have installed in Cydia to install afterward. Settings are usually saved as well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Backed up.

Restored.

Double clicked Pangu 1.2.0 which I downloaded to my Mac.

Nothing happens.

The Pangu app doesn't seem to open?

[edit] Redownloaded. Still the same. Pangu 1.2.0 for OSX will not launch on my mac. Click it, icon kind of does it's open animation, asks me if I want to trust or whatever, I choose "open" and nothing.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 12, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So how silly of me would it be to upgrade my iPhone 4S now and hope I get the 5 before Apple patches the jailbreak? And are the 64-bit issues worked out with most apps at this point?

Feenix posted:

Backed up.

Restored.

Double clicked Pangu 1.2.0 which I downloaded to my Mac.

Nothing happens.

The Pangu app doesn't seem to open?

[edit] Redownloaded. Still the same. Pangu 1.2.0 for OSX will not launch on my mac. Click it, icon kind of does it's open animation, asks me if I want to trust or whatever, I choose "open" and nothing.

Try leaving iTunes open while you're jailbreaking and see if that works.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ibntumart posted:

So how silly of me would it be to upgrade my iPhone 4S now and hope I get the 5 before Apple patches the jailbreak? And are the 64-bit issues worked out with most apps at this point?

Try leaving iTunes open while you're jailbreaking and see if that works.

I tried leaving iTunes open, but when you say "when you're jailbreaking"
I want to clarify, the Pangu app isn't even launching. I'm not even getting to the jailbreaking part. :)

[edit] Found a totally different mirror. Launches now.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2014

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Feenix posted:

I tried leaving iTunes open, but when you say "when you're jailbreaking"
I want to clarify, the Pangu app isn't even launching. I'm not even getting to the jailbreaking part. :)

If you're on a later version of OS X, try right-clicking and opening the app that way. Newer versions (should?) pop up a warning, not allowing you to open the app via double-click because it's not from a "certified" publisher or whatever. You can still run it, but you have to do what I described.

Edit: Aaaaand nevermind.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting a "Jailbreak Failed" after the first time the phone reboots during the whole process (when Pangu goes "Processing Jailbreak Files").

I'm running 7.1.2 (not OTA update), and Pangu 1.2.1 on Windows 7.

Any ideas?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 12, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I keep getting a "Jailbreak Failed" after the first time the phone reboots during the whole process (when Pangu goes "Processing Jailbreak Files").

I'm running 7.1.2 (not OTA update), and Pangu 7.1.2 on Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Do you still have to set your calendar back to June 2 for Pangu? If so, could that be the problem?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

I'm running 7.1.2 (not OTA update), and Pangu 7.1.2 on Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Everytime this happens to me it's because I always forget to not restore my backup before jailbreaking. Might not be your issue, might be exactly that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Do you still have to set your calendar back to June 2 for Pangu? If so, could that be the problem?

I had to do that yesterday on 1.2.0 for 7.1.2

Speaking of, can I change the time back now? :)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Feenix posted:

I had to do that yesterday on 1.2.0 for 7.1.2

Speaking of, can I change the time back now? :)

It shoulda done it automatically, but if it didn't, go ahead and bring that sucker out of the past.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Everytime this happens to me it's because I always forget to not restore my backup before jailbreaking. Might not be your issue, might be exactly that.

Wasn't that :/. Guess I'll just restore when I get home.

Edit: for what it's worth, either putting my phone on Airplane Mode or running the jailbreak for the 6th time worked perfectly.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 12, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wasn't that :/. Guess I'll just restore when I get home.

Edit: for what it's worth, either putting my phone on Airplane Mode or running the jailbreak for the 6th time worked perfectly.

There's some quirk with wifi sync or something. I had to turn off wireless connections on my laptop or phone to make it work too, so you're not completely crazy.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

There's some quirk with wifi sync or something. I had to turn off wireless connections on my laptop or phone to make it work too, so you're not completely crazy.

I was connected via USB, but wi-fi sync might have been on. Thanks for the tip.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Of interest since it was brought up before: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/13/how-to-send-facebook-messages-without-messenger-app/

Method #1 is clever and works fine for me but I installed the Cydia fix and disabled automatic iTunes updates just in case.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Bouchacha posted:

Of interest since it was brought up before: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/13/how-to-send-facebook-messages-without-messenger-app/

Method #1 is clever and works fine for me but I installed the Cydia fix and disabled automatic iTunes updates just in case.

I just use Paper.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Do any of these million spambot unlocking services work? I've got an iPhone 5 on 7.1.2 that's locked to another carrier that I'd like to change, if it's at all possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know you used to be able to buy unlocks on eBay for pretty cheap? Did they finally crack down on that?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Christoff posted:

I know you used to be able to buy unlocks on eBay for pretty cheap? Did they finally crack down on that?

AT&T caught on to the loophole people had been using and shut that down a year or so ago. I don't know about any other carriers though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Most carriers let you unlock your phone once you're out of contract. I know AT&T does

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Christoff posted:

You can find people claiming they can unlock iPhones still. I have no idea if they are legitimate or not, though. What I think happened is that AT&T stopped accepting bulk unlock requests from third party iPhone resellers and stopped taking requests by phone entirely.

So maybe unlocking services are able to sneak under the radar by sending in requests one at a time. Or they could be total scams.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I apologize ahead of time, as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it. Is there a tweak that reverses the Artist > Album backwards sort that got introduced? I mean... there has to be, right? Who the hell wants their albums sorted with the newest albums listed first?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Revol posted:

I apologize ahead of time, as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it. Is there a tweak that reverses the Artist > Album backwards sort that got introduced? I mean... there has to be, right? Who the hell wants their albums sorted with the newest albums listed first?

Afraid not

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Is there any buzz on when the new iOS comes out, i.e., jailbreaking window is closed for 7.1?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ibntumart posted:

Is there any buzz on when the new iOS comes out, i.e., jailbreaking window is closed for 7.1?

Between September 9th and September 19th.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Guess I'd better upgrade ASAP. Thanks!

I just hope most of the jailbroken apps I use are compatible with the 5S....

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I have an iPad 1 locked at iOS 5.1.1. Is it possible to jailbreak and install iOS 6 or 7? I can't afford a loving ridiculously expensive newer iPad and hardly any apps work with this thing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't see how something like that would work.

Any iOS upgrade has to be signed by Apple, so you can only install legitimate firmware images.

The most I can think of is that there used to be a few jailbreak tweaks that would let you "spoof" your iOS version.

So, assuming you can find a working jailbreak for 5.1.1, and assuming Cydia runs correctly on that version, and assuming that any of those jailbreak tweaks still work/are available, you could theoretically trick a newer app into running in 5.1.1

Then you'd have to hope that the app doesn't run into compatibility issues (almost impossible, I would think, given that there's been two major revisions to the software).

It's a long shot, at best.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

I have an iPad 1 locked at iOS 5.1.1. Is it possible to jailbreak and install iOS 6 or 7? I can't afford a loving ridiculously expensive newer iPad and hardly any apps work with this thing.

Sorry man, I'm stuck in the same boat. iPad 1 support was dropped with iOS 6. You're boned and stuck on 5.1.1 like me. Save up for a mini.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
there are ways to spoof your IOS version. i've had some luck with them when i tried installing apps that no longer worked on my old ios version. it's been so long that i don't remember what the "good" or "right" one to use is. maybe someone can give you some suggestions.

basically you have no reason not to jailbreak and im pretty certain you will find some way to run the newer apps you want, so long as they don't rely on some core functionality of the newer ios versions.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Anyone know of a tweak that lets you disable Control/Notification center on a per-app basis? One of the games I'm playing has repetitive drag-up-from-bottom mechanics and CC keeps popping up and pausing my game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I use activator. Disable the cc in the general settings and use activator for your swipe up command. Then you can selectively turn it on or off for apps.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

HonorableTB posted:

You're stuck on iOS 5.1.1. Apple didn't make iOS 6 or above compatible with first generation iPads. I empathize, by the way: my wife has a first gen and grumbles about the same problem. We wound up with her taking my Google Nexus instead.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sunblood posted:

Anyone know of a tweak that lets you disable Control/Notification center on a per-app basis? One of the games I'm playing has repetitive drag-up-from-bottom mechanics and CC keeps popping up and pausing my game.
Unless I misunderstand you that's built into the OS. Settings -> Notification Center -> select the app and disable alerts / shot in notification center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sunblood posted:

I think Central Hider does what you want.

• Locked thread