Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Grim-Dark" has become the go to phrase for a comic that is anything other than wacky adventures for a lot of people for some reason. There are people who loving hate the new Avengers comics and think they are literally destroying every character involved in them.

It's kinda absurd.

Made worse for us ubernerds by the fact that "grimdark" is actually supposed to be wacky and people who use it to mean super serious are turning the word into the opposite of what it originally meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SlothBear posted:

Made worse for us ubernerds by the fact that "grimdark" is actually supposed to be wacky and people who use it to mean super serious are turning the word into the opposite of what it originally meant.
In the grim, dark future of the year 40,000, there are only powered armor suits with helicopter backpacks and beak helmets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

You seriously think Hickman is going to walk away from this without redeeming them?

You seriously think that genocide is redeemable?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedit posted:

All Hitler needed was a second chance.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jedit posted:

Yeah this is my thing, too. I don't think they could or should be "redeemed". Although for whatever it's worth, I think that the Illuminati characters have been 100% more interesting since all of this incursion stuff and it would be too bad if it were written off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think what Hickman was going for was that they all regretted what they were doing and wanted to call it off, but Namor decided to do it anyway. I mean they still killed the Justice League, but at least they eventually decided against committing genocide even if they had been prepared for it.

And it's not like it's the first time he's done that anyway.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hakkesshu posted:

I think what Hickman was going for was that they all regretted what they were doing and wanted to call it off, but Namor decided to do it anyway. I mean they still killed the Justice League, but at least they eventually decided against committing genocide even if they had been prepared for it.

And it's not like it's the first time he's done that anyway.

The thing is that although it was Namor who pulled the trigger, they all had direct involvement in this plot so I still hold them all culpable for it

Really this whole mess just goes to show that the whole "Hard Men Making Hard Choices" trope just doesn't work in a superhero context

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It helps to remember they're not real people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Really this whole mess just goes to show that the whole "Hard Men Making Hard Choices" trope just doesn't work in a superhero context

Sure it does. It worked just fine in this story! Like I fundamentally do not understand this insistence that superhero comics must be figuratively stuck in the silver age forever.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It also helps to remember that each writer has their own interpretation of the characters, and they aren't going to be ruined forever because someone made them do something you don't agree with.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 11, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That actually makes it worse in my opinion

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

What could they legit do in-universe that wasn't that and not some kind of deus ex machina? Maybe they'll find more options later on in the storyline but they had to decide on something quick or both Earths were gonna die, so

It really is quite a depressing book though, I need something more uplifting and generic superhero-y after reading each issue.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

drrockso20 posted:

The thing is that although it was Namor who pulled the trigger, they all had direct involvement in this plot so I still hold them all culpable for it

Yeah, not like the real world if you make a Hard Choice it's always the right one. Now if you excuse me, I need to tap some people's phones because they are probably committing crimes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edit: maybe the Touching and Inspiring Panels Thread isn't the place for that post

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 11, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

drrockso20 posted:

What do you mean?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I know about that stuff, it's just that I love 616, and it irritates me that in the majority of stuff set there in the last decade plus the heroes just tend to come off as either not heroic at all or just plain incompetent if not both at the same time with only the occasional exception

Also Incursion pisses me off because it's ruining multiple characters I love(The Illuminati or at least it's members), and now I can't consider the 616 versions of them heroes anymore after what they did to Earth-4290001, they are now pretty much full blown villains in spite of whatever they do in the future, considering they were complicit in the death of an entire inhabited alternate Earth
"Argh, this Incursion storyline is the worst and is ruining my love of Marvel comics!"
:keeps reading Incursion storyline:

I think I may have found a solution!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I've learned to drop comics that make me more annoyed that entertained like they were burning bags of poo poo. It's made my comic-reading a lot less frustrating. It sounds kind of simple to say "only read the things you enjoy" but it's really, really easy to fall into the trap of following a book because it used to be good or you like characters in it or whatever.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

drrockso20 posted:

Oh I know they'll end up saving the day one way or another, but still in my opinion this ruins any credibility in considering them heroes, unless this arc ends in Timey-Wimey stuff to undo this whole arc

I haven't onsidered many of them strictly heroes before this. Namor and Black Bolt have never been, Reed and Tony have done some seriously questionable poo poo before and Dr. Strange has kind of been dealing with things where heroism does not matter as much as just keeping things from going to poo poo his whole career.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

It would be better if real people destroyed a real earth? What??

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

How about some panels eh. Panels!

If you haven't read Batman: Zero Year i suggest you look away and go read it. Okay you've read it, good. A great Batman/Alfred moments from issue #33.

The army are on their way to level Gotham due to the Riddler taking over the city. The only way to stop them is to send a signal that everything is okay, only problem is Riddler has attached a signal jammer to a heart monitor on his chest. The only way to turn it off is to send 1,000 volts through someone with a one in a thousand survival chance. Batman rips off the monitor and attaches it to himself.

All hope is lost. Or is it...

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 11, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 10, 2017

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Jedit posted:

I don't know about redeemable, but he was at least a little sympathetic by the end.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

And then listen to the soundtrack because it's pretty amazing.

Wait, what?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

Wait, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Inspired_by_the_Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Injustice: Year Two #20. Commissioner Gordon has lung cancer (as discovered when Superman looked at him to see if he was lying). Seeing how Superman has basically turned Gotham into Ferguson with his army of goons, Gordon is leading an assault on the Hall of Justice and Watchtower while the Green Lantern Corps oppose Superman and the Sinestro Corps. Gordon and the rest of the crew are amped up on the super pills that give them kryptonian strength and in order to keep Cyborg from tracking down Oracle, he beat him down and tore off the metal part of his face. During the fight, Gordon collapsed at one point due to the cancer being more advanced than expected.

Meanwhile, "You're secret is safe, Luthor"?! :argh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Oh god thank you I was gonna sperg out about it so hard.

Also it's a good scene but that last panel of Bats and Oracle makes it look like someone let rip with a toxic gas spider and they're both smelling it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It must be so liberating to just be able to tear everything down.

Did Gordon even know Batman's secret identity before that point?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Everyone did. Superman tweeted it out across the internet with the help of Cyborg.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Everyone did. Superman tweeted it out across the internet with the help of Cyborg.

"Cyborg, I need your help!"
"Hey, sure, Clark, you're a pal, what do you ne-"
"I need you to... POST THIS TWEET."
"Clark, you need to get a loving phone"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Isn't a tweet by default available for the whole world to see?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redbackground posted:

Isn't a tweet by default available for the whole world to see?
Supes didn't want to spend money buying a promoted tweet.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Superman is also Clark Kent, an award-winning reporter. If Superman had a twitter, you can believe that everything on it would be worth reading. Who wouldn't follow his feed?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Found a gallery over on imgur a few minutes ago that I think you guys might like. I'm just gonna link to it directly since it's 43 full-sized pages and I don't want to bog the thread down.

The Punisher and his neighbors

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup. Bats crashed the JL computer in the satellite, and Supes and Cyborg went "THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO" to which Robin told em "Seriously? YOU ARE A LIVING COMPUTER" so @Superman (complete with pic) sent out a "BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN" tweet.

No idea if he had to use Cyborg's keyboard to enter it though. What happens on the JL satellite stays on the JL satellite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Superman is also Clark Kent, an award-winning reporter. If Superman had a twitter, you can believe that everything on it would be worth reading. Who wouldn't follow his feed?
It's pretty funny sometimes, actually.

https://twitter.com/CK1Blogs

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

qntm posted:

Did Gordon even know Batman's secret identity before that point?

While Superman did reveal Batman's secret identity to the public as a way to cut him off at the knees, Gordon revealed in one issue that he was always well aware that Bruce was Batman and that Barbara was Batgirl/Oracle. When Barbara asked how he knew, he yelled, "BECAUSE I'M A DETECTIVE!"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gavok posted:

While Superman did reveal Batman's secret identity to the public as a way to cut him off at the knees, Gordon revealed in one issue that he was always well aware that Bruce was Batman and that Barbara was Batgirl/Oracle. When Barbara asked how he knew, he yelled, "BECAUSE I'M A DETECTIVE!"

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative journalist. We've worked side by side for years. Frankly, it's a little insulting to think I wouldn't know." - Ben Urich

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

so @Superman (complete with pic) sent out a "BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN" tweet.

This is a joke, right?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

I was about to ask what you were sperging about but then I read it again! :grammer: ! :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a joke, right?

Nope. Batman crashed all the major networks and JLA computers so Damien and Cyborg set up Superman's twitter account while stranded in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

For all the cool things the Injustice comic does, they do tend to go full retard in some areas.