Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

Vauban Helmet on PS4 for the next hour or so.

That was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_fG-WOlZXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tasoth posted:

Is Saturn the best planet to run while waiting for G3 to show up and ruin your day give up Brakk loot?

The best way to farm G3 is to run invasions against the grineer, there is a high chance all the other people running them are also marked. More marked people means higher chance for them to show.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wid posted:

Why would you keep it as Heat? Just slap a Cold damage in there and you'd be doing Blast so you can knock down enemies and mow them as they're face planting. Some armor types will resist Blast but it's doing to help them while they're hugging the floor. Slapping Electric to make Radiation is also decent.

Cold: Knockdown is not desirable when headshotting.
Electrcity: Things usually wind up dying immediately post-proc. Confusion consequently becomes of limited use.
Toxic: Gas is of limited use. Death occurs vis bullet sooner than tick damage.

Ergo, I continue to stack Hellfire with Wildfire.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

EroticBlacksmith posted:

Clearly the real solution is to keep one of every mod at every level like me.

Don't do this, you will go mad.
Eh, I have usually a max rank and max rank - 1 mod, and I just give the lesser rank to the sentinel weapon if I switch from anything other than Carrier with the Sweeper. The real reason for the max rank -1 mod sets is so that you can have even numbered mod power costs and avoid bumping up costs that might require you to forma a weapon or frame when you'd rather not. I only started max ranking my mods when I had enough duplicates of important mods as well as enough forma to keep me busy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CrashCat posted:

Vauban Helmet on PS4 for the next hour or so.

That was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

OMG thank you. I've needed a helmet for a while, and now I have it!

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

You can cast faster overall if you wait for the ball to spawn before you cast again. The rhythm is very easy to get down. Also throwing Bounce on closed doors makes them very difficult for most others to get past, but if you time a slide just right it'll entirely cancel out the bounce and send you through the door easy as you please.

Vauban is the best.

edit: oh yeah, new developments on the launcher changes.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/286184-psa-weapon-changes-sniper-rifles-launchers-more/

spoilers: still not enough.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 12, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, that's still probably not as difficult as I expected. But good on you for giving them all a nice preview of Bounce! :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wid posted:

Also, what's the goon consensus on Grinlok, Sybaris and Pyrana? Grinlock looks like the primary version of the awesome Marelok but I never seen anyone use it. I've seen someone use Sybaris and it looks pretty stylish. Never seen anyone use Pyrana but it looks cool.

Grinlok I haven't used, but it fires and reloads slower than the Grinlok and... doesn't hit as hard :confused:

It has slightly higher crit damage and status chance, but the Marelok can already hit 100% status chance with event mods soooooo. Basically the sole reason I'll be building it is because I love lever action rifles.

Pyrana is pretty terrible, it just empties its tiny mag too fast and reloads too slow. And as long as Detron/Brakk are around, any other hand shotgun is going to struggle to compare. Those are a bitch to farm though, so if you want a hand shotgun, it does high slash damage so I guess it'd be ok for infested?

Sybaris I love. It's a beautiful weapon, has essentially zero loving recoil, not even any view bob, so it's just a drat laser. It hits quite hard, per bullet its less than Latron Prime, but more per shot (two round burst), and it has a high crit chance. Unfortunately it has an effective 5 round magazine, and a lower rate of fire with only a slightly faster reload speed.

I can't recommend it for any actual high end clearing, but it is a thing of beauty, I pull it out when I'm feeling stylish.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Coldbird posted:

To answer the question from earlier, nobody uses Jagged Edge because nobody has it. Given, sample size of one and all, but it's rare as hell and I never even see it for sale on the channel.
Pffft, the game literally throws Jagged Edges at me :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-dPisKUd1g
*Note the kill counter.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

victrix posted:

Pyrana is pretty terrible, it just empties its tiny mag too fast and reloads too slow. And as long as Detron/Brakk are around, any other hand shotgun is going to struggle to compare. Those are a bitch to farm though, so if you want a hand shotgun, it does high slash damage so I guess it'd be ok for infested?
The Pyrana is the 2nd best shotgun in the game after the Brakk, you need to forma it

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cold: Knockdown is not desirable when headshotting.
Electrcity: Things usually wind up dying immediately post-proc. Confusion consequently becomes of limited use.
Toxic: Gas is of limited use. Death occurs vis bullet sooner than tick damage.

Ergo, I continue to stack Hellfire with Wildfire.

You know the damage type is applied to every shot, right? It's not just about the status effect. Gas does ridiculous damage to most infested, and Viral is great against anything humanoid. Cold or Magnetic eats up shields like nothing else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I use combined elements more often than not because the numbers for total combined element damage can get kind of ridiculous. Say you have a physical damage total of 100 per shot. With a +90% Heat mod you'll deal 190 damage. With a +90% Cold mod you'll deal 280 damage, 180 of it Blast. The status procs are just icing. If you've got Blast, you can also potentially fit Corrosive in.

Blast+Corrosive does a number on Ancients, which are probably the most durable Infested you'll come across besides Charger Eximoose. Radiation+Viral hits the toughest varieties of Grineer exceptionally hard. And Gas+Magnetic performs decently well against Corpus, if only because it punches through shields like tissue paper and Gas isn't especially bad. Though against Corpus bosses with shields that aren't meant to take real damage and can only be damaged after conditions are met, Radiation+Viral works well enough. As these are probably Robotic, Radiation deals extra damage to them while Viral oddly works perfectly fine.

If you're only using one element in order to prevent unwelcome status procs, you're limiting your sheer raw damage potential since there's only so many mods providing damage bonuses of that single element you can stack onto a weapon.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Having an aura mod worth lots of points is a good stopgap too. I've got a Rifle Amp that's probably poo poo compared to Energy Siphon in usefulness but when it matches polarity it's 13 free points on an unranked frame. Enough to at least put in one favorite mod or a couple crappy ones.

Stick a full Steel Charge Aura on that slot and you'll end up with 18 points instead. If you're only after the extra points that is.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What length of time do they usually run the Prime Access deals and how frequent, just for each major expac?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

If that Loki weren't trash, he'd have Decoy-Switch Teleported past it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Vendictus Prime posted:

What length of time do they usually run the Prime Access deals and how frequent, just for each major expac?
Prime Access lasts until they release the next prime frame. They'll usually announce an end date for the current one once the next one starts looming close.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Newbie question about elemental damage: If you put an elemental mod on a weapon, for example the basic +15% fire damage, when do you get that damage? Is it always a 15% boost of fire damage or do you only get that 15% when your weapon procs a status effect? If its a flat damage boost then I think I have greatly underestimated the usefulness of elemental mods.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
It's a flat 15% damage which scales up to 90% with full pips in the mod.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

HukHukHuk posted:

It's a flat 15% damage which scales up to 90% with full pips in the mod.

Haha wow that seems pretty good then. I haven't been slotting them and that probably explains a lot about my low damage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SarutosZero posted:

Haha wow that seems pretty good then. I haven't been slotting them and that probably explains a lot about my low damage.

Elemental mods give the biggest boosts to damage 99% of the time. You should always use them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Since it seems we're getting a good chunk of newbies

1) http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

2) Get mods for the 4 elements for your rifle, then your other weapons

3) Use the A/B/C configs on your weapon to set up mods for Grineer/Corpus/Infested+Corrupted(towers)

Then:

First add your basic damage and multi-shot mods: Serration, Split Chamber. Many weapons also benefit from Heavy Caliber, and Shred can be hugely helpful for dealing with hordes of enemies.

For elements, use Radiation + Viral for Grineer, Magnetic + Toxin for Corpus, and Corrosive + Fire for Infested/Corrupted

If you have them, you can also use the specific vs. enemy % mods for more base damage boost.

For basic damage types, Puncture is best against Grineer, Impact against Corpus, Slash against Infested.

--

Elemental mods give an additional % damage based on your combined total base damage, specific 'physical' damage mods (slash/impact/puncture) only give the bonus based on that one damage type. If your weapon is 100% a given damage type, that 'physical' mod can be worthwhile.

Some weapons benefit heavily from critical damage mods, generally if your weapon has a high base crit % and a high base crit damage %, it is worth using mods like Point Strike and Vital Sense. The Soma is like this, as are Bows and some others.

Some weapons are great at status chance, but unfortunately the mods that let you deal combined elemental damage + status chance are event mods that you can't get normally (it is possible to get the toxin one in T4 void missions from the Vor boss, bug some goons to give you some copies of it, most have lots of extras).

But when you're just starting out, going Serration + Split Chamber + appropriate Elements will take you far.

By the time you're looking at tackling 30-60 minute survivals or 30+ wave defenses in T3/T4, you should have a better idea of how to set up your weapons.

Just doing the basic setup on them will get you through all the star map missions with ease, assuming any decent basic weapon and a full set of mods.

If you don't have the basic damage mods, bug goons immediately, don't torture yourself with lovely damage.

If you don't have a decent weapon, bug goons for Latron Prime parts, everyone has extras and its one of the better weapons in the game for its ease of acquisition.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a best aura mod for Valkyr? The only aura I've managed to pick up is sniper rifle scavenger which isn't very useful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SarutosZero posted:

Is there a best aura mod for Valkyr? The only aura I've managed to pick up is sniper rifle scavenger which isn't very useful.

Steel Charge to boost her melee or Energy Siphon for the usual reasons. You could try begging for auras in chat, plenty of goons have extra.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

"[DE posted:

Drew"]
Snipetron (+Vandal):
Added 2.5 puncture depth (3 for Vandal).
Increased damage from 100 to 125 (125 to 150 for Vandal).
Reduced reload time from 4 s to 3.5 s.

3 native punchtrough for the snipetron vandal? Gonna have to have some fun with this.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

victrix posted:

Since it seems we're getting a good chunk of newbies

So, before each mission you have to select the specific config for the enemy type?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vendictus Prime posted:

So, before each mission you have to select the specific config for the enemy type?

'have to', no, planning on doing a bunch of missions in a system with one race or spending a half hour in a single mission 'probably should'

You can use a weapon with the 'wrong' elements everywhere in the game just fine, it only matters if a) you're fighting really high level enemies or b) your mods are really low rank and you need all the damage you can get

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Vendictus Prime posted:

Yeah, I never bother. Game ain't hard.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Do real players actually do that switch-out-damage-types thing? I always thought that was pure theorycraft and that nobody really kept doing it after a week of dealing with the constant hassle.

The reality of the game is that infested will never be difficult enough to warrant bringing a special setup, and there's enough tactical difference between the other two that you're better off having a whole another primary weapon for each set aside if you're going to insist on that much micro.

I just slot blast and radiation penta, corrosive and viral brakk, and glaive prime pretty much all day every day unless I'm leveling something or goofing off. Works well enough on T4

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I swap damage types all the time. Most of the time all I have to do is swap the positions of two mods, or swap out one mod for another. It's not a big a deal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Switching mods takes two seconds in the Arsenal, if you're changing frames, you can change mod sets.

And if you're using loadouts (why aren't you using loadouts?), you can save frames with a specific mod set loaded.

And saying 'I don't need loadouts, I just run my tricked out Penta/Brakk/Glaive Prime combo!!' isn't really useful for newbies :P

The two times when it matters most are very long endless mission types (in which case you're just making it harder on yourself and your team for no reason if you're not using an appropriate loadouts), or when you're very new and your damage still sucks due to your limited weapon selection and mod ranks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I finally max ranked the Boltor Prime, so I guess if there was any time I should set up different loadouts for different elements it would be now. But up until now it was a waste because I was adding whatever would fit in the point value as I leveled them up. I guess it's still going to be that way since I'm going to keep grinding away at other poo poo. Is there any secondary worthwhile enough to be used as my main weapon while working on "fun" primaries? I am enjoying the Angstrum but the ammo nerf is going to gently caress that up pretty soon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CrashCat posted:

I am enjoying the Angstrum but the ammo nerf is going to gently caress that up pretty soon.

I've been leveling an Angstrum as well, and I really don't think it'll be that big of a problem.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Marelok

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

CrashCat posted:

I finally max ranked the Boltor Prime, so I guess if there was any time I should set up different loadouts for different elements it would be now. But up until now it was a waste because I was adding whatever would fit in the point value as I leveled them up. I guess it's still going to be that way since I'm going to keep grinding away at other poo poo. Is there any secondary worthwhile enough to be used as my main weapon while working on "fun" primaries? I am enjoying the Angstrum but the ammo nerf is going to gently caress that up pretty soon.

Akbolto, akvasto, akmagnus, Stug, Embolist, akstiletto, Castanas, Pyrana, Detron, Brakk, Lex Prime, even dual Cestra are pretty good if you put a few forma in em.

AkZani are alright too.

edit: Yeah Marelok is excellent.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

High base damage and decent rate of fire, sounds good to me, thanks! Has a few expensive components but I'll make it my next project.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

CrashCat posted:

High base damage and decent rate of fire, sounds good to me, thanks! Has a few expensive components but I'll make it my next project.

Even without any forma I really love it. My crappy fps makes it a bit difficult to aim though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CrashCat posted:

If I had to issue a complaint, it's just not accurate enough for me. Back when I hadn't yet farmed up a Rifle Mutation mod, I liked being able to poke my head around a corner in Void missions, and just pop things with headshots with a Magnus (This is pre-Akmagnus, pre- a lot of things, really) until they procced Radiation to take some heat off me. The Marelok is strong enough to be a primary in its own right, outright killing things with good status chance as a bonus, but you may miss a few headshots you'd otherwise normally get.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Just got this on the PS4- signed on as Rummskull - would appreciate an invite to the Goon Clan (as well as dragging my newbie rear end to some decent levels). Thanks!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Coldbird posted:

Do real players actually do that switch-out-damage-types thing? I always thought that was pure theorycraft and that nobody really kept doing it after a week of dealing with the constant hassle.

The reality of the game is that infested will never be difficult enough to warrant bringing a special setup, and there's enough tactical difference between the other two that you're better off having a whole another primary weapon for each set aside if you're going to insist on that much micro.

I just slot blast and radiation penta, corrosive and viral brakk, and glaive prime pretty much all day every day unless I'm leveling something or goofing off. Works well enough on T4

Once you hit MR 6, you have 3 loadout slots which lets you switch between grineer/corpus/infested&void loadouts for rifle/melee/secondary within 5 seconds without going into each weapon individually. It's not a big deal to change and for T3+ some of the damage types do help out on later waves.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010
Marelok owns and combined with Mirage is the only gun I've found to consistently take down the Jackal in a single clip.