Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Under 15 posted:

IMO it'd be better than game. The more black can keep white playing on the third line, the less and less meaning his bottom right corner has in the grand scheme of things.

According to ~the powers that be~, if black plays p13 then white will immediately play L16, and for that matter the top should be ignored for now. Use your 2k intuition to figure out how badly black is off when white L16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

B17 is the first move in the game that looked bad to me.

I like your suggestion of P13. L16 seems way too close to play immediately... who suggested that? I'm sufficiently humbled by the last time I was "sure" of something and it turned out that the Go world had moved on without me that I'm not going to say L16 is crazy, but it wouldn't have occurred to me.

To me a normal-ish development after P13 is what's shown in the variation I did here: http://eidogo.com/#3Y3WrgFaJ:0,0

This is pretty clearly a good game for Black, so White will have to resist, probably by playing tenuki in response to P13, or else maybe playing differently in the lower left, but L16 wouldn't be my tenuki anyway.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
I would play with you guys, but I got banned from KGS for talking about pizza in the English Game Room.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I like your suggestion of P13. L16 seems way too close to play immediately... who suggested that?

Prodigious. :smugdog:

asylum years posted:

I would play with you guys, but I got banned from KGS for talking about pizza in the English Game Room.

First thing about kgs: don't go to the EGR.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

asylum years posted:

This is worse than when I got banned for saying "*farts*" there.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

asylum years posted:

Your ban will probably not be more than a couple of days, just FYI

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I managed to talk my way out of being banned when naming my account shiting.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I mean, the good thing about L16 is that there's no good direct answer to it - pressing up is overconcentrated and crawling underneath is submissive... but I think what that means is that you just don't answer it. You can play R12 in probable sente or R13 in definite sente, and then pincer on the top. If White continues with L17 he's just making himself heavy. Of course, your wall also becomes heavy as it loses its eyeshape, but White's heavily outnumbered so you're going to have the advantage in fighting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I mean, the good thing about L16 is that there's no good direct answer to it - pressing up is overconcentrated and crawling underneath is submissive... but I think what that means is that you just don't answer it. You can play R12 in probable sente or R13 in definite sente, and then pincer on the top. If White continues with L17 he's just making himself heavy. Of course, your wall also becomes heavy as it loses its eyeshape, but White's heavily outnumbered so you're going to have the advantage in fighting.

So if you have no good answer to something, even if it's urgent-ish, like a shoulder hit, you tenuki and let them follow up their move? Wouldn't that make the situation worse, or does it mean they're investing too many stones in one area?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

So if you have no good answer to something, even if it's urgent-ish, like a shoulder hit, you tenuki and let them follow up their move? Wouldn't that make the situation worse, or does it mean they're investing too many stones in one area?

If you must respond and don't have a good response, then you've committed a bad mistake earlier. But although generally it's urgent to respond to a shoulder hit, I'm not sure that's the case here. Ignoring the shoulder hit just means a change in direction... you let White setting up top, but develop on the right instead. White's 5-3 stone in the lower right makes that not perfect directionally speaking, but getting the superior local result makes up for it.

There are of course any number of variations that could be played, but here are a couple just to illustrate what I see as the general plan in ignoring the shoulder hit and following up on the right instead:

http://eidogo.com/#1o9XojXBD:0,0

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

White is a 2 or 3 dan and I am black. Please do not respond on autopilot here like I did.

To be fair to him, it was like 3 am. I need to learn to take my time like lemons. :negative:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Since I'm very much a beginner still, I'm not really going to try and figure out what the correct move is. What I see is a kill at D8 and getting nabbed at B5? That sticks out to me the most, but then again white did just move at A7. Then I'd probably respond at A8, white, uh, defends at D8... I don't know why I'm trying to interpret what a 3dan would do.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i come from behind to make a big dead group live and win! http://eidogo.com/#1L5Sgfzts

if he had played at m13 or c10 like i was expecting during the ko fight i would have had to let him take it and the score would have been a lot closer, not sure what he was thinking in the corner there.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Zesty Mordant posted:

Since I'm very much a beginner still, I'm not really going to try and figure out what the correct move is. What I see is a kill at D8 and getting nabbed at B5? That sticks out to me the most, but then again white did just move at A7. Then I'd probably respond at A8, white, uh, defends at D8... I don't know why I'm trying to interpret what a 3dan would do.

If B A8 then W B2 and welp,

The correct response is A3

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Zesty Mordant posted:

Black A3, White B5, Black A6, White A5, Black A6. :rip: The capture of d8 means little to nothing right now.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 5, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Why didn't White a2 instead of a7?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Why didn't White a2 instead of a7?

He was probably really tired and didn't notice - he just wanted to deny me some eye room I guess.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I tried to play again for a bit.

And in my second game I had this crap:
http://eidogo.com/#4dmvUquHI:0,14

Seems like I have totally forgotten how to fight. Can't even find a good way out of this even when I am reviewing.
How would you guys play here?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

So, I tried to play again for a bit.

And in my second game I had this crap:
http://eidogo.com/#4dmvUquHI:0,14

Seems like I have totally forgotten how to fight. Can't even find a good way out of this even when I am reviewing.
How would you guys play here?

In my opinion, if you had just connected then all of white's shape is broken and full of cutting points.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

AdorableStar posted:

Black A3, White B5, Black A6, White A5, Black A6. :rip: The capture of d8 means little to nothing right now.

Hahaha, that's crazy. Nice.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Zesty Mordant posted:

Hahaha, that's crazy. Nice.

Snapbacks are the coolest thing as a new player.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Any newish players looking for correspondence games add me on OGS, im uranus and am ~12k

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:frogsiren: Review request

I am white. I thought I was doing pretty okay in this game up to a point. The game goes on after the last black move, but it's not worth mentioning. I've played against this guy a month ago and I still did poorly. He still takes black and I have komi. Also, check the second variation since I hosed up black 1. :negative:

Every move I make that I immediately think "What was I thinking!?" is marked with an A.
The marked triangled stone I made after a few minutes of thinking - I wanted to defend my group since it didn't have two literal eyes and was behind black's sector line. I can attempt to be patient about gaining profit, but the rest of my play in the game is a lot more profit oriented than usual.

White 110 is really unfortunate since I was looking at R16, but thought I'd cut and see what happens.

http://eidogo.com/#4lCLlgXsJ

Instead of white D2, I could possibly concentrate on, you know, letting my top left corner not get sealed in..

I can slide into that 3-3 at any time.

I feel comfortable as white if I play 110 at what I was eyeing - R16.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 11, 2014

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
I'm ~4d KGS.

24 is questionable, it gives B perfect shape on the right. I would Q16.

28 is questionable, since it lets B connect his top side stones. I would Q16 again, threatening either the corner or isolating the top stone.

34 is wishy-washy. Try to threaten something against the right-side B group.

40 is too close to B's perfect-shape group. N6 is better.

W got a good result from the sequence to 52. J16 instead of D2?

68 was a blunder.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shadonra posted:

I'm ~4d KGS.

24 is questionable, it gives B perfect shape on the right. I would Q16.

28 is questionable, since it lets B connect his top side stones. I would Q16 again, threatening either the corner or isolating the top stone.

34 is wishy-washy. Try to threaten something against the right-side B group.

40 is too close to B's perfect-shape group. N6 is better.

W got a good result from the sequence to 52. J16 instead of D2?

68 was a blunder.

With White 24, I was at a loss for what to do. I approach two spaces high because I wanted to break up the right side. I chose high because it's lighter (Correct me if I'm wrong in that a high move is more light than a low one), and two spaces because I wanted to make the pincer a bit more awkward I guess?

White 28 I also considered P 15, P14, and O14.

I'm liking Q16 though. I felt I was too far for those attachments on either side of the komoku so I didn't look harder.

White 34 - I didn't think a cut would do anything or even R14. Playing the turn at P11 just seemed to help black and a kosumi at O11 I thought was too slow.

White 40 - N4 or O5 were my gut reactions but I was all, "Yeah, I'm going to lean against this poo poo."

White 68 - I also considered F18 at first.

Gut reactions are usually best.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
@24: 2 space high approach was fine, 24 is the attachment.

@34: The other knight's move should also be sente.

Gut reactions are good, reading is better. In general, I think it's better (for improvement) to play a wrong move that your reading says is good than to play a right move that you haven't backed up with reading (I tend to disregard this...)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Has Kgs been down all morning for anyone else?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

Has Kgs been down all morning for anyone else?
It was down when I came home from work. Now it seems to be back.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.ootakamoku.com/ thinks im 5k. what does this mean

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

http://www.ootakamoku.com/ thinks im 5k. what does this mean

It means you have 5k fuseki, obviously. Although I have heard its ranking thing is a bit broken.

Coincidentally, I've had the rank of 5k on Ootakamoku for a few months now everytime I come back to it.

tonberrytoby posted:

It was down when I came home from work. Now it seems to be back.

I cannot connect still.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just had a game open up like this: im white

i played 3-3 because i figured his plan was to invade there and make my wall useless because of that weird stone in front of it. good move? or was i being overly cautious against what was essentially a pass from him?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's not that great imo. I would just play f16 or d14 in response - maybe low instead of high. Or you could tenuki and approach one of his 4-4's I guess.

e: Imagine if you had a 3-3 stone and he played that 7-7 spot. Would you play 4-4 in response?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 15, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

uranus posted:

i just had a game open up like this: im white

i played 3-3 because i figured his plan was to invade there and make my wall useless because of that weird stone in front of it. good move? or was i being overly cautious against what was essentially a pass from him?

I would just play away and approach one of his 4-4 somehow to breakup the moyo. If he plays 3-3 then play light and not seal his 3-3 stone in and it will really hurt his 6-6 stone there.

Even if you play away I feel like he'll have to end up gote to do anything so you get 2 free moves.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Looks like the Korean Go scene is pretty awesome

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I suppose Baduk-Knifefighting is the logical follow up to Chess-Boxing.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hi guys. I was on vacation for two weeks, which is why I haven't been around. Xom and I finished our OGS game while I was gone, which I promised him I'd review, but couldn't do so until now. I ended up winning by resignation, but it was a close fight.

But I like to give the thread whole-board problems (or maybe I should say "conversation pieces," since I generally offer positions where I feel like I made a pretty good move but have relatively low confidence that it was the best one). So here's a position from our game and a review up to that position, with the rest of the game truncated. I'll finish reviewing and post the rest of the game in a few days after we've talked about this a bit.

WHITE TO PLAY

REVIEW TO THIS POINT:

http://eidogo.com/#vM20t8qp

xopods fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 16, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Also, let it be noted that oiseaux beat me in an even game shortly before my vacation. Now, we both have alcohol issues and I wasn't at my best towards the end of the game, but regardless, I have to tip my hat to his fighting skills. Even when I'm taking my time and playing at my best, he gives me a sweat every time. If you want to get really strong but have a hard time with guys who are good at "shaking" as the Koreans call it (ie making things complicated and difficult for you when they're behind), he's someone you should practice against. Underestimate him and he'll make you regret it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

It means you have 5k fuseki, obviously. Although I have heard its ranking thing is a bit broken.

Coincidentally, I've had the rank of 5k on Ootakamoku for a few months now everytime I come back to it.

Yeah, something is very wrong with it. It pretty quickly "pegged" me as between 5.4k and 5.4k, ie exactly 5.4k, which was fair enough because I had been about 50/50 in my first few answers, but then I got 6 in a row right and it still said 5.4k (I had only maybe answered 8 before that).

I suspect that it was designed with the assumption that it would be used mostly by registered users who already have a rank specified, but since it isn't, it assumes everyone is 5k to begin with and compares them to a random assortment of other users who are also all assumed to be 5k but answering the problems at a widely varying level of ability and that prevents it from ever actually doing what it was designed to do.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lol, 5.4k is exactly what it says i was too, sounds like the whole thing is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

lol, 5.4k is exactly what it says i was too, sounds like the whole thing is bullshit

Yeah, the problems themselves seem reasonable but there's something really wrong with their algorithm for assigning strength. The whole site seems like it's in early alpha though so it could be just that we somehow ended up with a link to a site that isn't remotely ready for publication.