Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013
I'm really psyched for D4 vita....I have to start all over on the english version though.......WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :duckie::duckie::duckie:PARTY HARD:duckie::duckie::duckie:
I got all the way to my first Trap on the japanese version of D4 vita, but it was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to being able to read things this time through.
I could play this game forever, I'm even thinking of doing a bufless max-stats speedrun. Probably be one of the longest speed runs in the world.

o.m. 94 posted:

Just picked up D2 and lost an hour and a half of progress by forgetting to save and quitting out of a battle (took me to the title screen????). But having fun so far. Geo Panel puzzles are mind-bending

In D4 vita they finally changed it. You can quit out of a map (or retry the map) without cutting out to the title screen. (Didn't Play D2, so maybe it's not new...but it sure as hell is nice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

In D4 vita they finally changed it. You can quit out of a map (or retry the map) without cutting out to the title screen. (Didn't Play D2, so maybe it's not new...but it sure as hell is nice)

Jesus. I hadn't heard about that feature. That just makes it all the better.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
D2 dumps you out to the base if you game over, but if you can't actually get all your units to die you were stuck restarting back wherever you last saved. There were autosaves but they hitched the game up for a pretty long time when you returned to the base rather than happening in the background so they sort of sucked.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

Dis posted:

Jesus. I hadn't heard about that feature. That just makes it all the better.

Well.....Like I said, I've been playing the Japanese version, I can't for the life of me see why they would take it out
So it's very likely that it will be in the American release.
You can Retry, Exit to the map select, or quit to the Title screen if you want.
This makes getting Legendaries much easier. Is it legendary? no!? RETRY STAGE

But BEWARE!!! That trick don't work in the item world or class world. The only option it gives you is to go to the title
(I shoulda known....hosed me over hard when I found out)
Also, I haven't played new maps in a while, but I think you need to have cleared the stage before you can exit out to stage select

YOU DO NOT KEEP THE ITEMS OR LEVELS This hosed me over too.
I thought I could pull a fast one like in D3 vita, but NOPE! quitting the map (and I think game over) makes you lose any items/EXP/Mana gained

Mr.Dr.Jr. fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 6, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

But BEWARE!!! That trick don't work in the item world or class world. The only option it gives you is to go to the title
(I shoulda known....hosed me over hard when I found out)
It does warn you, so that shouldn't be a problem for people playing the game in a language they can actually read. :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm actually disappointed D4 Vita does it that way even though it was really easy to exploit in D3 Vita. I had loads of fun going into impossible item worlds, opening a chest I otherwise couldn't kill because of the thief skill, and dying with my shiny new toy. Now I have to spend Mr Gencys and it's probably not worth it. But retry is a nice option.

I have a weird obsession with playing item world like its a rogue like

Edit: is all the DLC included in the base game like D3 vita?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 6, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: is all the DLC included in the base game like D3 vita?

Yessiree. Disgaea 2 Portable was the only odd duck with that, as far as I know.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

darealkooky posted:

When the gently caress are we getting a soul nomad port?

God I would kill for a touched up HD Soul Nomad with a proper endgame. Controversial opinion I know but it was easily the best game N1 made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

God I would kill for a touched up HD Soul Nomad with a proper endgame. Controversial opinion I know but it was easily the best game N1 made.
I get the feeling the Evil Path was meant to be Soul Nomad's 'endgame,' what with the final battle being such a glorious clusterfuck, but it didn't really pan out that way.

And it's not controversial with me, anyway.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Soul Nomad was pretty great and didn't have the usual Disgaea mess of grinding something over and over again in order to possibly progress in the endgame. I think there were those rooms or something you could mess with, but I don't remember that even getting on the scale of CoO, nonetheless full blown treasure map/ticket/ship part grinding.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

FractalSandwich posted:

It has the Cheat Shop from DD2, which eventually gives you the same effect as 700 levels of Statisticians (or Managers, or Brokers) on all your characters for free. I don't know how much +% XP you need to do the Baal fight on a non-geological timescale, but I did basically everything there is to do without touching Reverse Pirating at all.

Well you just sold me on D4.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

gay skull posted:

Well you just sold me on D4.

Note that's D4 Portable. The original version turned Statistician grinding into basically the worst thing on the planet and the only reason the endgame wasn't an entire slog was because people exploited a bug. If you're sold on that post, make sure you don't get the PS3 version.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'm told that Trapezohedrons have max stats of ~510k without the patch that fixes the duplication bug. ~2.1M with. I don't know why this might be, but it is really messing with my sense of OCD. (Yeah, I took a two-and-a-half year break because I was too lazy to look up how to disable the wireless card on my PS3. What of it?)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's enough to just decline the update when it asks, you don't have to systematically disable internet access for the console.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Endorph posted:

I get the feeling the Evil Path was meant to be Soul Nomad's 'endgame,' what with the final battle being such a glorious clusterfuck, but it didn't really pan out that way.

And it's not controversial with me, anyway.

Not especially. The endgame was the Median time travel fight, where you find out what started this whole mess in the first place.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yessiree. Disgaea 2 Portable was the only odd duck with that, as far as I know.

Considering that the original Disgaea 2 had no DLC being on PS2 it's not that odd. But it was not done well.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Especially when some of the DLC was weirdly skipped overseas and bugged up stuff like completion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

Especially when some of the DLC was weirdly skipped overseas and bugged up stuff like completion.

I am still miffed that we never got Gig.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Heavy neutrino posted:

Controversial opinion I know but it was easily the best game N1 made.

I don't see how that's a controversial opinion at all. :colbert:
Soul Nomad was fantastic.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

posted this in the vita thread, but figured I'd post it here as well.

Target is having a deal this coming week where you can get $15 off any game $39.99 or higher with a $1 preorder for another game.

so we should be able to get Disgaea 4 VITA for about $26.xx when it comes out on Tuesday. :snoop:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Target is having a deal this coming week where you can get $15 off any game $39.99 or higher with a $1 preorder for another game.

so we should be able to get Disgaea 4 VITA for about $26.xx when it comes out on Tuesday. :snoop:

May I take this opportunity on behalf of fellow Euro Goons to wail in anguish as we have to wait until the twenty sodding ninth until we can buy this.

e: oh yeah and the price too. drat you all!

Thank you for your time.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 9, 2014

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Pork Pie Hat posted:

May I take this opportunity on behalf of fellow Euro Goons to wail in anguish as we have to wait until the twenty sodding ninth until we can buy this.

e: oh yeah and the price too. drat you all!

Thank you for your time.

I suppose we could always set up some sort of secret cross-atlantic rescue effort. It wouldn't easy though.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

yeah.....but I'm a D4 collector. I've got the 9 figure premium set, a japanese copy of the vita version, a wall scroll and it's all in a creepy shrine in my room.
I had to order the Special edition from N1. Even though it's horse poo poo (a poster, a cloth and three pictures stuck on keychains!? Come, the gently caress on!)
It's part of the collection so I had no choice. (Still going to open that poo poo and play it though, gently caress mint condition)

Also I'm trying to get autographs from the main English voice actors. Only got Patrick Seitz so far....sad because Fenrich is my least favorite character in the game.
Troy Baker's is gonna be a bitch to get.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Japanese version didn't have a collector's edition at all. I'm almost impressed NISA came up with anything to add.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Anybody have any information about whether or not Fallen Angel Flonne is included in the Vita release of D4? I can't seem to find any information about it. I mean, it does say ALL DLC is included, but FAF was a special pre-order thing for the original, if I'm not misremembering, so I'm not sure if it officially counts.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dis posted:

Anybody have any information about whether or not Fallen Angel Flonne is included in the Vita release of D4? I can't seem to find any information about it. I mean, it does say ALL DLC is included, but FAF was a special pre-order thing for the original, if I'm not misremembering, so I'm not sure if it officially counts.

She didn't show up for me when I started playing, so she might not be in there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Depending on how many games you own it might be worth just switching to a US account now. Trying to maintain two accounts at once is too much of a hassle but I don't think I've ever regretted getting a US account and then just buying points cards through friends.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

She didn't show up for me when I started playing, so she might not be in there.
She definitely is, but I think the bill only shows up in the postgame.

If you have an Absence of Detention save, you can get Stella and Rutile right from the start, though, so there's that.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

I really liked Disgaea 4 a lot, is there enough new stuff in the Vita re-release to make it worth going back and playing again? I admit I used a lot of the dupe bug to do post-game stuff, which really minimized time wasted grinding away, and with that gone it's hard to imagine wanting to do post-game again. Did they make that any easier or is it still horrible to get lots of the exp boosting and stat boosting things for items? I'm hoping they did because I'd really like another Disgaea to waste time with.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
If the Cheat Shop works in D4V like it did in DD2, it's basically a free pile of Statisticians for everyone that you mostly get from beating the postgame characters. It didn't solve the grinding problem in DD2 quite as well as just slam dunking giant Statisticians you duped on everyone's equipment, but it's pretty close and, more importantly, you don't have to do any reverse pirating. D4 also had a Cave of Ordeals grind map that wasn't made pointlessly more complex, so that probably helps too if that hasn't changed.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 12, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

sentrygun posted:

If the Cheat Shop works in D4V like it did in DD2...

gently caress yes. I really liked that mechanic. Beats the poo poo out of managing it via senate / homeroom.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey guys D4 is on the vita PSN if you manually search now. 3.1GB, $40

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I played the original release of Disgaea and no other games in the series. I got a Vita and PS3. If I wanted to play the other ones, should I do so in order, and which versions should I get?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MotU posted:

I played the original release of Disgaea and no other games in the series. I got a Vita and PS3. If I wanted to play the other ones, should I do so in order, and which versions should I get?

I don't know much about the portable version of Disgaea 2, so I can't comment there, but the Vita versions of 3 and 4 are the definitive versions of those games (and come with all of the DLC from the console version.) Play them in order and on portable if possible. For DD2, it'll be a few years before the portable port happens, so you're stuck on PS3 for that one for now; it's also a direct sequel to the original Disgaea, so you might want to brush up on that before playing it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Get Vita 4 for the best Disgaea at the moment. Most features, better characters, tons of exclusive stuff about it and more.

It's great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can honestly skip Disgaea 3 if you want. It's not a bad game but the story's pretty eh and Disgaea 4's better.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's a ultra embarrassing thing I need to ask but in Disgaea 4 how do you reorganize your characters? I recruited Rutile and Stella and kinda want them over the two junk prinnies.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013
WHA- WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO TO VALVATOREZ'S VOICE!!!!!????
What the gently caress!? Messing with his voice in the new scenarios is fine, but in the main game!?
JUST USE THE OLD VOICE CLIPS!!!!!
holy poo poo.......that voice is so bad!

also, D4 vita won't accept my save data from D3 vita, says it doesn't exist.
Maybe it's because my D4 is a physical and my d3 is digital!?

I was so excited, but now I'm so hurt.....
WHY! :negative:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
VAs are expensive. Especially union.
It does seem really odd to redub him though. His voice was pretty perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Huh, I thought he sounded different but I didn't really mind it to much. Long as he's still a huge ham it should be fine.

• Locked thread