Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

I was watching that crazy 1971 "When the communists invade and take over the US due to our moral decline" movie the other day,

Could you be a little more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_Footmen_Tire_You,_What_Will_Horses_Do%3F

It's part of a genre that I was unaware of until last week called "Christplotation" and boy oh boy is it and its genre mates bonkers as gently caress.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I get all my internet legal advice from Warzawa and the dude with the avatar catastrophe.

What a terrible, terrible idea, unless the question is "hey wanna vomit words about this dumb obscure law review article/drink until you can't walk while howling about Shelby County?"

The only advice the internet - even lawyers on the Internet - should give is "uh get yourself a lawyer who isn't me".

My (non-legal) advice is to watch the Sopranos because that show is great. Also the Bridge is really good as of season 1 episode 6.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 12, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
What's the deal with the new middle east thread title?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

KoldPT posted:

I like both Zohan and Jumanji a lot.

Bad movies are really great, you guys.

You shutup Jumanji was amazing

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Magres posted:

You shutup Jumanji was amazing

I felt real bad at the end of the movie for the gun shop guy who thought he'd made serious bank when that guy paid him in gold coins, only to have said coins float into the ether when they finished the game :(

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I never saw Jumanji but I'm pretty sure it wasn't amazing.

Are you guys true-blue US Americans who should know good movies or are you FOREIGNERS who are unfortunately brainwashed by the bad movies we send you and/or the bad movies you make domestically until you become disaffected to the point that you join the local militia or terrorist group?

VVV The URL that worked for me was: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...africa/dWyDrPcS

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you have a few seconds and you're an American citizen, can you please sign this petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ne-west-africa/

My uncle went missing in Africa about 6 weeks ago, and it's unclear if there was a fatal accident or foul play. We're trying to draw attention to it to aid in the search. You can read more about it here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pangstrom posted:

I never saw Jumanji but I'm pretty sure it wasn't amazing.

Are you guys true-blue US Americans who should know good movies or are you FOREIGNERS who are unfortunately brainwashed by the bad movies we send you and/or the bad movies you make domestically until you become disaffected to the point that you join the local militia or terrorist group?

It wasn't a terrible movie, but I wouldn't call it great by any stretch.

For my money, the most under-appreciated Robin Williams piece is What Dreams May Come, which is doubly topical because, well, you know.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I felt real bad at the end of the movie for the gun shop guy who thought he'd made serious bank when that guy paid him in gold coins, only to have said coins float into the ether when they finished the game :(

Gun shop guy floated into the ether too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wasn't a big fan of Robin Williams but it's too bad he died.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StandardVC10 posted:

Most D&D posters have some sort of secret button that turns them into complete insufferable zealots and/or pedants when a certain topic is broached.

I am disappointed that the RNC has made their delegate rules simpler for the 2016 nomination.

Fortunately, the DNC's are still crazy :getin:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Arkane posted:

If you have a few seconds and you're an American citizen, can you please sign this petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ne-west-africa/

My uncle went missing in Africa about 6 weeks ago, and it's unclear if there was a fatal accident or foul play. We're trying to draw attention to it to aid in the search. You can read more about it here.

You have bad opinions, but you seem to be an alright guy. Signed, and I hope they're able to find him or at least that you all get some closure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

Has your family asked the French for assistance at all?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

XyloJW posted:

Gun shop guy floated into the ether too.

No, I meant the random guy who sells guns, not the old-timey safari hunter who buys an assault rifle from him

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't really find gun shop owners who get wide-eyed at the sight of gold all that relatable. I think I've just been too close to NH for too long.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They all floated into the ether, since time got rewound all the way back to 1969 and only the two kids know that anything was any different. (and possibly the future kids too, they never actually said) Gun shop guy has no memory of ever selling a gun for gold coins and therefore cannot be sad about it.

I just watched Jumanji for the first time last Saturday, which became a slightly eerie coincidence yesterday.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

No, I meant the random guy who sells guns, not the old-timey safari hunter who buys an assault rifle from him

Yeah, I know, everything gets sucked back into the ether. Time rewinds 30 years. It's kind of grim because then the main characters are full grown adults in 12 year old bodies. Enjoy high school guys!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would love to be back in time and 12 and know what I know now. The only problem would be how to convince my parents to buy apple stock as birthday and christmas gifts.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Dating would be more than a little creepy, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd just date college chicks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It would be great for me since I am a giant man child as it is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Warszawa posted:

What a terrible, terrible idea, unless the question is "hey wanna vomit words about this dumb obscure law review article/drink until you can't walk while howling about Shelby County?"

The only advice the internet - even lawyers on the Internet - should give is "uh get yourself a lawyer who isn't me".

My (non-legal) advice is to watch the Sopranos because that show is great. Also the Bridge is really good as of season 1 episode 6.

This forever and ever, amen. In the context of goons and anonymous internet folk, no one is ever a lawyer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Relax guys I wasn't actually going to take legal advice from yall.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Has your family asked the French for assistance at all?

Not afaik; I'll bring that up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Take my legal advice

Please!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
We lawyer-types get nervous because it's easy for our opinions to be constructed as Legal Advice, as in whoops, random internet person was my client because he listened to me about being able to sue his neighbor for playing his stereo too loud or something, and suddenly it's malpractice/incompetent representation and I'm disbarred and in jail. It's why you see us layer everything that could even remotely look like legal advice with all kinds of disclaimers, and why there are similar things in the forum rules. It'd be particularly impressive if it happened to me cuz I'm not even a lawyer yet!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

We lawyer-types get nervous because it's easy for our opinions to be constructed as Legal Advice, as in whoops, random internet person was my client because he listened to me about being able to sue his neighbor for playing his stereo too loud or something, and suddenly it's malpractice/incompetent representation and I'm disbarred and in jail. It's why you see us layer everything that could even remotely look like legal advice with all kinds of disclaimers, and why there are similar things in the forum rules. It'd be particularly impressive if it happened to me cuz I'm not even a lawyer yet!

The corollary to this is that anyone who announces online that they're a lawyer and proceeds to post legal opinions is probably a bad lawyer (or else they wouldn't be announcing that they're a lawyer and giving legal advice). (You can refer to this in the future as Alloy's Theory of Internet Lawyers).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will happily give medical advice to any who ask.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lawyers have actually been sanctioned for blog advice. Don't recall a forum advice one though.

My favorite one is when a lawyer lost a motion before a judge, then trashed the judge on facebook. He was friends with the judge on facebook hahaha.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The good news is I can give unfettered bioethics advice because for some godawful reasons the profession of bioethics is an unregulated clusterfuck! :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Can't disagree with ISIS here

Wolfsheim posted:

The whole universe rebooted so it doesn't make much a difference.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, in 1991 the Feds invited a bunch of linguists, geologists, artists and others to the long term nuclear waste repository to, in part, come up with a way to keep an enduring marker system that would warn our future decendants that the facility was dangerous and off limits. This article is a good read about an interesting problem, that is, how to transmit a clear message 10k years into the future to people who might have zero shared culture with us. But you absolutely must listen to the kitty song, where an artist decided the best way to accomplish this goal was to genetically engineer cats that change color in the presence of radiation and then create folklore about how dangerous it was when cats started changing color. He wrote a folk song example, which is on that page.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hello I am a undifferentiated stem cell. My cell mate left but did not demand her deposit back. It is right to keep it? any advice?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Aurubin posted:

Somebody buy this and name it :boehner:

:boehner:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice transparency. Not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How expensive.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They're showing Hook on tv :smith:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

zoux posted:

Nice transparency. Not.

I blame Absurd Alhazred. He made it. I just make poor decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

zoux posted:

So, in 1991 the Feds invited a bunch of linguists, geologists, artists and others to the long term nuclear waste repository to, in part, come up with a way to keep an enduring marker system that would warn our future decendants that the facility was dangerous and off limits. This article is a good read about an interesting problem, that is, how to transmit a clear message 10k years into the future to people who might have zero shared culture with us. But you absolutely must listen to the kitty song, where an artist decided the best way to accomplish this goal was to genetically engineer cats that change color in the presence of radiation and then create folklore about how dangerous it was when cats started changing color. He wrote a folk song example, which is on that page.

They could have hired me for ten bucks. Use a skull and crossbones. Problem solved.

Color changing cats is pretty awesome though

• Locked thread