Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's a shotgun!

Hey man, when SOE decided that NC's faction gimmick was loving shotguns everywhere. We just roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Trogdos! posted:

I have seen quite a few people say that they mount 6x scope on their jackhammer. Why?

for laughs/if you feel the need to use it as a telescope to scout far away poo poo

(i'd just use an IR/NV in case of smoke, tbh)

mag posted:

Hey, I need some gun-advice. Now that I've auraxed my AC-X11, I'm trying to decide which carbine to slog through next. My gut is telling me to knock out the GD-7F or Merc. Anyone else think differently? Preferred attachments on whatever you'd recommend would be pretty cool, too.

They're literally all good (the Gauss compact burst doesn't exist) so pick at random and you'll do fine. I kinda liked leaving the merc late so you'll appreciate how good the stock weapon is in it's own right once you know what all the rest do.

Compact S works great with smoke launcher and IR/NV in 3x burst mode
Bandit probably works best hipfired with ALS and should be treated like a cyclone.
GD-7F is an ammo hog but great for in close fights
Razor and Merc can be incredibly accurate at range and still good up close when kitted up to do so
NS-11C is a super controllable gun with a lot of mid-range headshot potential.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Nakar posted:

Plus it's got scope sway. If you really want to be accurate at range with your shotgun, don't go past a 4x, I mean c'mon.

And while we are at it give the Phaseshift a 4x scope!

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wow look at this monarchy hater.

If we didn't have the monarch we would have a president and that would be far worse! Can you imagine a Conservative President?!

The United States vs Scotland is better done via a rap battle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7CLaZFG1c

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

A Tartan Tory posted:

And while we are at it give the Phaseshift a 4x scope!

No joke, I wish full sniper rifles (OHK ones) had 4x scopes. Having a lot of fun with my Nyx and Motion Spotter Dildos keeping my friends informed of the bad guys and then 2-4 shotting them from as much cover as I can muster while still staying somewhere actually relevant to the fight. Being able to pop heads in one shot would help immensely, but the huge magnifications and sway on 6x+ just doesn't work with being in the fray.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Zierham posted:

No joke, I wish full sniper rifles (OHK ones) had 4x scopes. Having a lot of fun with my Nyx and Motion Spotter Dildos keeping my friends informed of the bad guys and then 2-4 shotting them from as much cover as I can muster while still staying somewhere actually relevant to the fight. Being able to pop heads in one shot would help immensely, but the huge magnifications and sway on 6x+ just doesn't work with being in the fray.

Get the Ghost and put a 4x on it, it's the 1hko bolt action you're looking for.

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

o muerte posted:

Get the Ghost and put a 4x on it, it's the 1hko bolt action you're looking for.

Oh? Didn't realize any of the bolts took 4x... will try it, thanks!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is the ghost really the only OHKO snipe rifle that can take a 4x?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes, and that's why it's the only good one

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think so, yeah. (Ghost, TSAR and SAS-R)

edit, Non-sequitir: I just finished Auraxing my second Armistice. Now I need to do the Failstorm :negative:. I'm legitimately tempted to do the PDW/MKV and just wait until they inevitably tweak the Failstorm. Or just go Resist shield HA and get it done that way, jesus.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 12, 2014

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Fart Car '97 posted:

Zerging is half the draw of the game, they're not going to do anything to change it. You guys might not like it and I stay away from any hex with 48+, but I would wager the average players really like and seek out the massive firefights.

Me, I am that person. Zerging and massive fights are what drew me into the game and i enjoy them a lot. If i want small scale fights i go and play blacklight or something instead. :colbert:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright I'm going for the Tempest and I've come to the conclusion that there are only two good SMGs and I cant aurax them over and over so I gotta slog through the NS SMGs.

I hate the PDW (halfway done) and I think the MKV is even worse, am I better getting another PDW and get well and truly sick of using it, or should I give the MKV another chance? I'm basically using them in all combat conditions (close quarters, field sniping, AA) just to put every kill on it I can.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fart Car '97 posted:

There's one semi-auto and one bolt-action for each faction that comes standard with ironsights and can take 1x through I think 6x(?) scopes. 4x and below have no scope sway. The tradeoff is the bolt-actions have lower damage so the OHK headshot range is reduced. However, at the ranges you should be sniping with these guns (the only ranges you should be sniping at all, really) that's more than good enough.

Also they can be hilarious with a 2x, try it sometime. The 4x is just the best all-around scope for what the Ghost/SAS-R/TSAR-42 are useful for.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

There's one semi-auto and one bolt-action for each faction that comes standard with ironsights and can take 1x through I think 6x(?) scopes. 4x and below have no scope sway. The tradeoff is the bolt-actions have lower damage so the OHK headshot range is reduced. However, at the ranges you should be sniping with these guns (the only ranges you should be sniping at all, really) that's more than good enough.

Also they can be hilarious with a 2x, try it sometime. The 4x is just the best all-around scope for what the Ghost/SAS-R/TSAR-42 are useful for.

Real men use them with iron sights in the 10-30m ranges. I actually got about 1/4 of my kills for my Sasser auraxium doing this, using my Rebel to two shot people if they got too close.

4x is the maximum.

Evilreaver posted:

Alright I'm going for the Tempest and I've come to the conclusion that there are only two good SMGs and I cant aurax them over and over so I gotta slog through the NS SMGs.

I hate the PDW (halfway done) and I think the MKV is even worse, am I better getting another PDW and get well and truly sick of using it, or should I give the MKV another chance? I'm basically using them in all combat conditions (close quarters, field sniping, AA) just to put every kill on it I can.

I was using the PDW last night when I had a little "gently caress the lovely HA and this Anchor that I cannot seem to enjoy" moment and pulled my beloved Medic (and subsequently made about a grillion certs whoring shield/revive/heal ribbons for the directive). If you use it with exmags/SPA and treat it like a wounded Cyclone it does pretty well, but it's worse than the Cyclone at pretty much everything.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

What class are you using them on? I *kind of* like the PDW (but then, I'm maining TR these days and TR have hilariously better options) on light assault with either a 2x or 3.4x and a grip. When you're shooting from rooftop height down to ground level the PDW is about perfect for that engagement range. The MKV plays about the same way for me.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

o muerte posted:

What class are you using them on? I *kind of* like the PDW (but then, I'm maining TR these days and TR have hilariously better options) on light assault with either a 2x or 3.4x and a grip. When you're shooting from rooftop height down to ground level the PDW is about perfect for that engagement range. The MKV plays about the same way for me.

All classes except Heavy who gets the Godsaw just so all my weapons are infuriating.

Currently using 1x/spa/exmags. Maybe I'll try a bigger scope.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

It's easy to get spoiled by the Cyclone as a mid-range Carbine alternative, but the NS7 is basically same as a 143x652 carbine like the NS-11C or the T5 AMC with fighter hipfire and a huge minimum damage range (20m with SPA). If you treat it as a surprise close/midrange weapon it'll serve you well, and it has the tight hipfire to be perfectly serviceable in CQC, especially if you are good at headshots. The NS7 isn't quite as easy to run-and-gun with like any of the ES SMGs are.

The MKV is something I'm enduring right now and I'm not sure about it. It's not terrible I'm finding due to the higher RPM, but it's definitely my last choice.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

All classes except Heavy who gets the Godsaw just so all my weapons are infuriating.

Currently using 1x/spa/exmags. Maybe I'll try a bigger scope.

Honestly, I'd stick to using it on LA and controlling your engagements - it'll save you a lot of frustration getting caught out by people who out-range or out-dps you. Watch Vonic stream sometime, he lives for the PDW/MKV when he plays LA, watching him control engagements helped me a ton with those guns.

e: The actual nice thing about those guns is how accurate they are, if you short-burst you can just destroy people at range due to the absolutely miniscule recoil and jitter. The best feeling is destroying an HA who can't aim at range with your pea-shooter.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mag posted:

Hey, I need some gun-advice. Now that I've auraxed my AC-X11, I'm trying to decide which carbine to slog through next. My gut is telling me to knock out the GD-7F or Merc. Anyone else think differently? Preferred attachments on whatever you'd recommend would be pretty cool, too.

The five carbines I'm going to Aurax on the way to Fortuna:

- Compact S (done) (Use it on a LA with underbarrel shotgun, SPA, plus muzzle attachments depending on your stealth needs)
- AC-X11 (done)
- Mercenary (ongoing)
- Razor
- Bandit

Of the remaining ones, the GD-7F is probably the best but it's also just worse than the Bandit in almost every aspect (including "being NC as gently caress"). The Compact Burst is awkward as hell to use for 95% of the population, but hey, maybe you're in the 5%; I have met some fans. The NS-11C is an all-around piece of crap, with the only caveat that I've run into multiple top-tier players using it with comp+grip+HVA to go on some pretty crazy headshot killstreaks, but they were all VS so their factional carbine selection is not quite as complete.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah the MKV works oddly well at mid-range due to the low recoil. you're gonna need exmags and will be reloading like crazy but it works well. LA makes better use of the supressor and can duck away to reload easily. I really didn't hate auraxing it, and currently like it a little more than the PDW (though this may just be that i've not got into the groove with it yet)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I plan on using the MKV after I Aurax the AC-X11 and Cyclone because it looks like a stealthy little headshot machine and I've seen people go on some serious murder sprees with it~

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Nakar posted:

But like 90% of the bases on Esamir right now cannot accommodate more than 40 people fighting without becoming overcrowded clusterfucks, and in order to push a lane to a base like an Amp Station you have to get through 3-5 of these things and one or two larger outposts or towers. The hellzerg is simply spacing out bases of that size, yet they have no choice but to cap through them.

Even 30 on 30 fights are pushing it on a lot of bases on Esamir, this is especially a problem due to the terrible redesign decisions. Tossing up random walls so people don't get spawn camped by tanks addresses that problem yes, but it also adds a ton of other issues. Right now I feel like Esamir is the worst continent and needs to be redesigned from the ground up. (Still not as bad as launch Amerish though jesus)

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Nakar posted:

Likewise I may be interested in it if somebody is willing to grab one for me. PM me or something with what it's worth to you, if it's $35 I'll gladly pay another $5-15 for your trouble.

Covering myself in dollar bills is totally worth that.

I'm also interested in purchasing one of the cards from someone who attends, with some extra for being a cool guy.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The solution to hell zergs harkens back to PS1's complicated bases and SNA/bio labs. A hellzerg will not take those bases if theres a semi competent number of defenders because it needs discipline for the attackers.

Redesign big bases so you cannot access the point until you do a certain number of tasks, a series of shields in sequence etc. The key is sequential, no killing 3 shields at the same time. You gotta kill 1 shield then the next and the next THEN get to the point all the while defenders are spawning at the point and countering your push. You want to reward organized outfits and punish people who are not organized.

A good example would be a tech plant redesign, all entrances are replaced by a defenders only shield and the spawn room is moved under the point. There is 3 shield gens in a line coming from the old spawn, killing all 3 gens turns off all shields. The first shield gen is in the SCU building, the 2nd is right by the back doors and the 3rd is near the middle vehicle bay. The first shield turns off the back door and balcony shields, the 2nd shield gen turns off verticals, the 3rd turns off horizontals. The SCU is moved into a cubby right under the balcony and can be primed any time.

1 point bases should just be skirmishing bases encouraging open field fighting, 3 point bases should be fortresses where you project your power from. Large facilities should be citadels that almost never fall unless you hit it exactly the right way. Zergs and spergs can coexist with proper base design, zergs should be capping territory until they hit fortresses and citadels defended by spergs/zergs then you bring in your spergs to crack the defense. Zergs should entirely rely upon spergs to take bases like bio labs/SNA or just beat their head against the wall for hours hoping for someone to crack.

A treatise on the coexistence of zergs and spergs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anybody update to the new nVidia drivers? I'm still using the ones from like February because the last 3 times I tried to update to new ones I kept hard locking. Are these actually like, stable with PS2? Dare I ask if it will fix the problem with incessant 3-4 second hitches?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yes, we definitely need to make more bases into SNA :shepface:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 12, 2014

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Arghy posted:

The solution to hell zergs harkens back to PS1's complicated bases and SNA/bio labs. A hellzerg will not take those bases if theres a semi competent number of defenders because it needs discipline for the attackers.

Redesign big bases so you cannot access the point until you do a certain number of tasks, a series of shields in sequence etc. The key is sequential, no killing 3 shields at the same time. You gotta kill 1 shield then the next and the next THEN get to the point all the while defenders are spawning at the point and countering your push. You want to reward organized outfits and punish people who are not organized.

A good example would be a tech plant redesign, all entrances are replaced by a defenders only shield and the spawn room is moved under the point. There is 3 shield gens in a line coming from the old spawn, killing all 3 gens turns off all shields. The first shield gen is in the SCU building, the 2nd is right by the back doors and the 3rd is near the middle vehicle bay. The first shield turns off the back door and balcony shields, the 2nd shield gen turns off verticals, the 3rd turns off horizontals. The SCU is moved into a cubby right under the balcony and can be primed any time.

1 point bases should just be skirmishing bases encouraging open field fighting, 3 point bases should be fortresses where you project your power from. Large facilities should be citadels that almost never fall unless you hit it exactly the right way. Zergs and spergs can coexist with proper base design, zergs should be capping territory until they hit fortresses and citadels defended by spergs/zergs then you bring in your spergs to crack the defense. Zergs should entirely rely upon spergs to take bases like bio labs/SNA or just beat their head against the wall for hours hoping for someone to crack.

A treatise on the coexistence of zergs and spergs.

This sounds awful.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Anybody update to the new nVidia drivers? I'm still using the ones from like February because the last 3 times I tried to update to new ones I kept hard locking. Are these actually like, stable with PS2? Dare I ask if it will fix the problem with incessant 3-4 second hitches?

I don't get any hitching or hard locks with the new drivers. Then again, my computer is brand loving new. I think this type of issue you're describing is very hardware dependent. There's too many factors at work.

Tldr, just try the new drivers. If you have issues, revert.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
:siren: Valkyrie is available on PTS

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Unclean009 posted:

I don't get any hitching or hard locks with the new drivers. Then again, my computer is brand loving new. I think this type of issue you're describing is very hardware dependent. There's too many factors at work.

Tldr, just try the new drivers. If you have issues, revert.

There was a specific problem with nvidia drivers that were released around March, I had to rollback to avoid them the last time I picked the game up again. I have not had any problems on the current WHQL Nvidia drivers.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Arghy posted:

Biolabs and SNA are boring meatgrinders that run the game engine into the ground. You know what I'd do in more SNA type bases? Go full turret mode with grenades until I'm out of resources and all stockpiles, then go elsewhere for 10 minutes and come back to do it again. Explosives, engine performance issues and MAXes for everybody!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arghy posted:

The solution to large groups of people in one place: make the fights last longer so they don't have to leave to find new targets! Make EVERYTHING a biolab!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

Yes, we definitely need to make more bases into SNA :shepface:

Replace SNA with the Scarabrae Tribal Reserve, and only LA's can access it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Frabba posted:

This sounds awful.

Arghy.txt

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think Bio Lab complexes should be redesigned such that there is exactly one point in the interior and the rest is spread out throughout the base complex. Take a concept like Saurva, spread it out even further, add like greenhouses or hydroponic labs, and have the dome be the centerpiece of the base rather than the entire base. Give each one a unique interior layout with a biome that clashes with the remainder of the continent; e.g. have Freyr have an Indar-like rock desert interior, put a snowfield in Xelas, a forest in Rashnu, etc. Basically take the Genudine Holographics concept and expand on it. Structures only around the periphery, with the point just in the bigass center. Add a shield gen somewhere that can take down the dome shield (this will not be as big a deal with only one point there, but if the shield is down expect Libs shelling the dome point). Also make the domes 30-40% smaller. Or keep them the same size and add hackable vehicle terms (Harassers and Flashes only) to the interior in addition to the more open feel.

"Alpha Bravo go secure B and C, Charlie Delta it's time to go all Road Warrior to take A."

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

:siren: Public Service Announcement :siren:

The Angry Joe Army appears to be playing in force today on Emerald and the farm is about as magical as you'd expect. They're throwing up to 40 maxes at a base right now, so get your AV 'nade bandoliers ready. I watched them pull ~30 stock viper lightnings and wipe all of them against half a dozen Vanguards before the servers went down for maintenance this morning.

TL;DR: AJA is playing - If you're looking for a day to pad your stats, this is it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Experience so far: Flys like a brick. A responsive brick, but still a brick. Think of it as a very slow ESF, and I mean slow. Feels a bit slower than a Liberator. Also, the cockpit displays don't work (lots of shiny, blinky lights but no speed or altitude or anything) and wing animations are backwards (moving forward puts wings and wingjets in hover position, moving up puts wings in travel position).

Haven't had a chance to test the guns or how much damage the sucker can take yet though.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

sitchelin posted:

Replace SNA with the Scarabrae Tribal Reserve, and only LA's can access it.

Wow, I remember that map. Trying to escape through the vents with the flag was always a rush. Tell them to add one of the Broadside bases too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Did they just add it? I logged onto the PTS at noon today and couldn't find out how to pull one.

• Locked thread