Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SSF4 AE displays as USF4 in your library because they share the same something or other so users between the two versions can play each other. Its dumb.

e: beaten and I started a new page lol :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, I just played an hour of Risen 3 and so far it isn't terrible! The first few moments has you start in a dream of fighting against pirate ghosts on the open sea and even in that short tutorial, Titan Lords has more pirate adventure than the entirety of Dark Waters. There's still some confusing bits even without the plot induced memory loss from having your soul ripped out such Patty apparently being your literal sister now. However, the game has that same old charm and there are no immediately visible monumental flaws, like Risen 2's lack of dodge mechanics at launch, so we've avoided the worst possible outcome of this being bugged to death as well.

The combat is more varied and responsive, even to the point of being so twitch based as to almost go too fast for your typical gothic-like. You're still the Hero of Faranga so I guess I'm just a dummy for not understanding what little info Piranha bytes coyly gave for this game -- even as he's come down with a bad case of the "I need to have a throatier voice so I can be more badass" syndrome. Titan Lords so far seems to give all your potential ally choices as soon as you talk to your first real follower and I don't know if there is double/triple/etc. dipping in being able to join more than one faction. That said, you also now have a morality or "spirit" counter that makes you become more demonic if you're an absolute bastard. There's hints that if you go too evil you can lose any chance to ally with past human characters and can only find buddies in your new Underworld brethren, but I haven't found any reason not just to hang out with Eldrich's Demon Hunters, The Mages or your old pirate crew.

So far the only fault I can find in this game is that they turned Patty from a respectable swashbuckler into a pirate clown.

It's no where near as bad as what they put her in the first Risen, but they took one of the only small victories the second game had and just slathered her in goofy sex appeal again.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

My god, it's like Pippi Longstocking grew up to be a sleazy hooker from The Witcher series. I would honestly be embarrassed to play that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wouldn't, I've played much worse.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Dead Space. It was pretty enjoyable, felt really similar in story to System Shock 2, though, minus the psychopath master computer

Also a couple of chapters felt unnecessarily long and had me running back and forth and everywhere and it got a little tiring

I'm assuming Dead Space 2 cuts a lot of that bullshit out and focuses mostly on the set pieces, since people say the franchise goes more-and-more action with each iteration

There's a reason why DS feels a lot like SS2 story wise.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Sputnik posted:

My god, it's like Pippi Longstocking grew up to be a sleazy hooker from The Witcher series. I would honestly be embarrassed to play that.

Not fair! The Witcher is a lot more honest about its own sleaziness.

also, you know, actually fun (at least judging from risen 1+2, haven't played 3)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Needs more belts and boobs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Finished Dead Space. It was pretty enjoyable, felt really similar in story to System Shock 2, though, minus the psychopath master computer

I'm assuming Dead Space 2 cuts a lot of that bullshit out and focuses mostly on the set pieces, since people say the franchise goes more-and-more action with each iteration
Well it was supposed to be System Shock 3 but rights were a clusterfuck I guess.

Yeah I liked Dead Space 2 more. There wasn't much backtracking and even though there were several ridiculous OP guns so you don't feel as vulnerable, it has some great atmospheric areas and some genuinely creepy or grotesque scenes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Oh God, I love Piranha Bytes, but that outfit is straight up Halloween Pirate Hooker. Jeeze.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
I actually got a coupon worth a drat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nefarious posted:

Cool. From crafting a badge?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Does Dead Space 2 go on sale much? I have Dead Space 1 and 3 from the Humble Origin Bundle but it'd be nice to play through all 3.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it tends to go on sale quite a bit, I got it pretty cheap last time. So it'll probably make it's rounds again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nice hat, for a clown to wear, to the circus, idiot. Also did colorblind people design the color schemes in that game? What is this?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nefarious posted:

Too bad it's Dominions 3, because 4 is out and is what people play these days.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Jordan7hm posted:

Cool. From crafting a badge?

Yep. My general rule is to sell any card over $.10 and craft everything else. I've gotten up to level 60 and according to enhanced steam i'm $25 in the black on the marketplace. :cool:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Too bad it's Dominions 3, because 4 is out and is what people play these days.

lol like i have friends to play games with

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

It's a lot more action-y and cinematic and includes an essential feature – :siren: folding helmets á la Star Gate (the movie) :siren:.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xeras posted:

Does Dead Space 2 go on sale much? I have Dead Space 1 and 3 from the Humble Origin Bundle but it'd be nice to play through all 3.
It goes as low as 5 bucks during Steam sales. No lower than that, though.

Xaris posted:

Well it was supposed to be System Shock 3 but rights were a clusterfuck I guess.
That makes sense, although I'd have been disappointed with the story if it was called System Shock 3 since it cut too much from the same cloth. Although if Ken Levine was writing it he'd probably write an ending that was like "it's all connected to the original games!! I didn't reverse engineer this out of my rear end at the last minute or anything!"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Note that the Steam version of Dead Space 2 has a bunch of cheat DLC enabled, flooding the store with free over-powered items. You can ignore them, but it makes the store a mess (and buying any of the suits upgrades your basic suit's stats long before you would do that normally).

You can disable that stuff if you can get your hands on an un-patched exe, though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Veotax posted:

Note that the Steam version of Dead Space 2 has a bunch of cheat DLC enabled, flooding the store with free over-powered items. You can ignore them, but it makes the store a mess (and buying any of the suits upgrades your basic suit's stats long before you would do that normally).

You can disable that stuff if you can get your hands on an un-patched exe, though.
If it's actual DLC in steam you can disable it in the client now via Properties -> DLC -> Install [✓]

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If it's actual DLC in steam you can disable it in the client now via Properties -> DLC -> Install [✓]

It's not. It was patched in on PC after someone modded the game and found that the DLC (that was being sold on consoles but not on PC) was already in the game but just disabled and could be enabled with a simple hack.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Palpek posted:

Nice hat, for a clown to wear, to the circus, idiot. Also did colorblind people design the color schemes in that game? What is this?

Risen 3.

From that screen shot I'm assuming the title is a dick joke.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Geokinesis posted:

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

I have no idea why they haven't region locked that to just the UK. :shrug:

(This is the one time that I'll defend region locking. This is largely useless outside of the UK)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

I have no idea why they haven't region locked that to just the UK. :shrug:

(This is the one time that I'll defend region locking. This is largely useless outside of the UK)
You just wait until they add trading cards.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Sputnik posted:

My god, it's like Pippi Longstocking grew up to be a sleazy hooker from The Witcher series.

The actress who played Pippi Longstocking does have a sex tape out, so you aren't far off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Major Ricardo posted:

The actress who played Pippi Longstocking does have a sex tape out, so you aren't far off.

That is horrifying on a level I was not willing to comprehend to today.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just started playing the secret world but the keyboard/mouse controls feel a little off, is there a way to set up a gamepad to be used with it?

I've got a PS3 controller hooked up with better DS3 but i don't think the game has built in gamepad support.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kin posted:

I just started playing the secret world but the keyboard/mouse controls feel a little off, is there a way to set up a gamepad to be used with it?

I've got a PS3 controller hooked up with better DS3 but i don't think the game has built in gamepad support.

KB+M feels off because the combat in TSW is awful. I'm not sure if there's a way to use a controller sadly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh I forgot I have Metro 2033, does that game have any fun collectable story trinkets, my main jam in video games, or is it just a straightforward shooter in a cool atmosphere

I also have RAGE but people seem to hate that game

Orv
May 4, 2011
The worst sin RAGE commits is that it is entirely unremarkable. It's not offensive, in fact the guns are quite good and the enemy AI is passable, but everything else in the game is several levels beyond bland. Some people really like it, so you might as well see if you are one of the diseased.

As for Metro 1, not really much in the way of cool story trinkets, but you should really play it anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I played the first Obscure on the PS2 with a bud, how's the second game by comparison? I liked the original obscure for it's style but didn't like how jank the co-op implementation was and how startlingly fragile you were in it, like everything could instantly kill you and it got annoying late in the game.

trip report me baby

I already beat it, it's about five-six hours long I guess? The co-op remains janky since it's not splitscreen (so your other partner could just run away off the screen and die) but on the whole you can take more of a beating, and I only died a few times (mostly on bosses, and in the area where you lose your inventory and can't heal). But it tries to be really grimdark and maudlin and it feels very out of place. Like someone already said, it's got rape in it, but also weird juvenile jokes about weed, all the way up until the end of the game. On the whole, though, it's pretty fun I think!

a tip: don't quit when the credits roll, there's another short area afterwards with some extra gameplay.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

You are a different guy this time, according to some video I have seen. Maybe that will sort out some confusion.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Orv posted:

KB+M feels off because the combat in TSW is awful. I'm not sure if there's a way to use a controller sadly.

It seemed simple enough in the tutorial mission. You've got like 7 moves, you just have to be facing the enemies who seem to run around a lot. This makes it hard to control because the moves can only be activated by the number pad or clicking on the icon in the hotbar meaning you can't really move and attack easily.

It's the kind of thing that seems like it would control brilliantly with a gamepad, sort of like a 3rd person action game or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think it supports controllers.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh I forgot I have Metro 2033, does that game have any fun collectable story trinkets, my main jam in video games, or is it just a straightforward shooter in a cool atmosphere

There's not many physical "trinkets" per se, but if you like discovering a story through exploration, Metro might be up your alley. You can't walk three feet through a safe zone without hitting a fresh group of NPCs to eavesdrop on, or a cool out-of-the-way scripted event to watch. And if you end up liking 2033, Last Light is even more loaded with organic storytelling.

Rage is legitimately a waste of time. The gunplay is awful and couldn't possibly be less kinetic, the level design is a generic series of corridors, the enemies are boring to fight -- and that's all for the on-foot shooting sections which simultaneously are the best part of the game and make up less than a quarter of the runtime. I wouldn't even install it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No story trinkets to really speak of. At most it has hidden away areas off the main path with more supplies or a gun to pick up. There are occasionally noticeable environmental stories to go along with it but no audio diaries or journals or something. Lots of conversations to eavesdrop on in towns though, some out in the world.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kin posted:

It seemed simple enough in the tutorial mission. You've got like 7 moves, you just have to be facing the enemies who seem to run around a lot. This makes it hard to control because the moves can only be activated by the number pad or clicking on the icon in the hotbar meaning you can't really move and attack easily.

It's the kind of thing that seems like it would control brilliantly with a gamepad, sort of like a 3rd person action game or something.

...Why are you activating abilities in an MMO with the numpad?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think it supports controllers.

Yeah, the googling i've done mentions to use something called xpadder, but it looks like the creator of that has started charging money for the program.

I'll maybe try rebinding the keys so that it controls a bit better.

Does defiance support gamepads? That's next on my MMO backlog.

Orv posted:

...Why are you activating abilities in an MMO with the numpad?

Meant number bar at the top, but it's not much different, you have to move with wasd to hit moving enemies wilst using the same fingers to hit the attack buttons.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

Rebind the controls. Unfortunately they will always suck, though. :(
I didn't actively hate it after switching to this.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/684846174374401313/AF240B56A75C0D90D9E904A4470F3DCABE9C05CA/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/684846174374382535/819714D5C66E6EB09C2167D82A2D3AC11B710633/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

No story trinkets to really speak of. At most it has hidden away areas off the main path with more supplies or a gun to pick up. There are occasionally noticeable environmental stories to go along with it but no audio diaries or journals or something. Lots of conversations to eavesdrop on in towns though, some out in the world.
Okay. It still sounds like it's worth playing. I'm just really into games where the worldbuilding is done through journals, audio logs, books, etc. But I think I'm running out of games that have them. There's not a very good comprehensive list out there for games with this stuff, the GB list that comes up via Google for example is inaccurate and lists games that don't have them.

Dishonored was cool because it had lots of poo poo in the world to read or eavesdrop on and sometimes doing it would even give you additional solutions to solving objectives.

e: I guess Deus Ex: HR must have them because I was playing through The Fall to see just how bad it was (HOLY poo poo) and it had some diaries and poo poo, so I figure HR must have the real deal

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread