Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radish posted:

This is beyond parody.

Rolling back this poo poo is an incredibly important issue that no one "serious" even knows exists.

Agreed. When your police department recruits former soldiers and trains, treats, dresses and equips them like soldiers, they're not going to act like Barney Fife. They're going to act like an occupying army and treat the civilian population like a hostile force that's out to kill them on a daily basis. Which is exactly how you get cops choking petty scofflaws to death, shooting unarmed teenagers, and training loaded carbines on anything that moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

So, how are conservatives spinning this so that it makes the police officer actually a hero who was at zero fault?

Kid was a friend of the family thug. The photos I've see of him show him flashing "gang signs", wearing a Nike t-shirt and having a hat with an creased bill. Case closed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope Brenner ends up face down in a ditch if he told them to use live fire on looters.
Given the context I think he meant Bremer, not Brenner, and he did. Further, he did so after the looting had been going on for a while and weapons caches had been cleared out so it was extra terrible

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The police were very nice to the protestors today. A supervisor thanked one of their leaders for being nice. There were only about 40 people max protesting. I didn't get to see Al Sharpton but I did visit the QT finally and the spot where Michael Brown was shot.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Agreed. When your police department recruits former soldiers and trains, treats, dresses and equips them like soldiers, they're not going to act like Barney Fife. They're going to act like an occupying army and treat the civilian population like a hostile force that's out to kill them on a daily basis. Which is exactly how you get cops choking petty scofflaws to death, shooting unarmed teenagers, and training loaded carbines on anything that moves.

Barney Fife was a bloodthirsty fascist kept only in check by Sheriff Taylor

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cythereal posted:

A lot, notably persistent and endemic problems with race and authoritarianism that people have been trying to pretend don't exist for decades in a political environment where half the country takes Rorschach's line "Not even in the face of armageddon, never compromise" as Godly wisdom.

And a miles long list of other things.

I suppose "I don't know where to begin" would have been more accurate.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm so loving glad I'm not black. I've made so many mistakes in my life that I'm sure wouldn't have been brushed off if I were.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radbot posted:

I'm so loving glad I'm not black. I've made so many mistakes in my life that I'm sure wouldn't have been brushed off if I were.
I count my blessings every day that I was a male born into an upper-middle-class white family.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zen death robot posted:

So the FAA made the airspace near Ferguson restricted for "law enforcement activities". Does that mean news choppers can't fly there now?

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2599.html

A drone becomes self aware and screams I AM THE LAW and blows up a crowd of people.

Don't worry folks we've got it under control; it will run out of gas soon.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Mo_Steel posted:

Going to cross-post this here from the midterms thread to make sure everyone who is eligible knows about it:

----

Reminder to all you Minnesota Goons that today is primary day for all parties!

Don't know where to vote, who to vote for or what voting is? GO HERE: :siren: MNVotes.org :siren:

There may be two sections to your ballot:

1. PARTISAN BALLOT - You vote for candidates from only ONE political party. (e.g. if you vote on DFL primary candidates you cannot also vote for GOP or Independent primary candidates).
2. NONPARTISAN BALLOT - Usually these candidates are lacking political affiliation, you can vote in all these races.

If you try to vote for multiple parties in the PARTISAN BALLOT your entire ballot is void so don't do that! You cannot write-in candidates, and you are not required to declare party affiliation.
Not registered? There are a ton of options for registering at your polling place.
Working 4 jobs? Minnesota state law requires employers to allow employees to leave to go vote without loss of pay and the employer cannot tell you when to go vote (though they can request notification when you go vote), so screw working and get paid to go vote.

Why bother? Voter Turnout Expected To Be Low In Primary Election This means your vote is going to have a lot of influence comparatively. There's no excuse if you care at all about MN politics to not go vote today.

----

MN Dems have made a bunch of great progress these last couple years, so we should keep picking the candidates that can do the most good. Get the gently caress out there and vote. Also visit your rep at the State Fair in a few weeks so you can chat politics while shaking hands with your greasy corn dog and beer covered paws. And say hi to Al Franken because he loving owns bones at the State Fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNs7Zpqo98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-FYyuvrRk

Seriously, god loving drat do I love Al Franken. He's not perfect but he's pretty drat good.

Also in case you haven't checked out the lesser races, vote for incumbent Rebecca Otto for State Auditor because she's done a fantastic job and Matt Entenza is just trying to steamroll her so he can use the position to launch a bid for Governor.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

zen death robot posted:

So the FAA made the airspace near Ferguson restricted for "law enforcement activities". Does that mean news choppers can't fly there now?

God I hope some news choppers tell them to gently caress off and fly in anyway.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Continuing the theme of militarized and aggressive police forces, here's an article on the rise of steroid abuse in police forces by a renowned doping historian at UT Austin, Johnn Hoberman: https://thinksteroids.com/articles/dopers-uniform-cops-steroids/

John Hoberman posted:

This case of allegedly steroid-fueled police violence comes from Texas. Over a period of seven years during the 1980s, a Houston police officer named Scott Tschirhart shot to death three black men in circumstances that led to protests and a grand jury investigation. Cleared by the grand jury, Tschirhart was eventually fired by Houston’s black police chief shortly after the third killing in 1989. (19)
It was well known to his fellow officers that Tschirhart was a user of anabolic steroids, and they had watched the drugs transform him as a bodybuilder and as a policeman. “The bigger he got … the worse he got about strutting around and bragging,” a veteran officer recalled. “You could really see him changing.” (20) But the Houston Police Department had no policy against steroid use, so no one intervened until the third fatal shooting provoked the department to investigate this officer’s unusually violent career.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

On the one hand, little things like this really brings to life just how much institutionalized racism still exists in this country, on the other... me too. :(:respek::(

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
drat those are some real good pictures Neo Duckberg

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
This clearly can't be racism because the Supreme Court says it doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzt2oFGQ0Mc

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

This clearly can't be racism because the Supreme Court says it doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzt2oFGQ0Mc

Video has been removed by user :\

What was it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Video has been removed by user :\

What was it?

Racism, because it doesn't exist anymore. :colbert:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I've been following a few Anon twitters lately about Ferguson. Do we have a thread anywhere on SA that talks about Anon?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been following a few Anon twitters lately about Ferguson. Do we have a thread anywhere on SA that talks about Anon?

No, as it should remain.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Racism, because it doesn't exist anymore. :colbert:

:golfclap:

Well done.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
On a less depressing note McDaniel lists his own lawyer as an irregular/fraudulent vote in his effort to replace Cochran on the ballot

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JT Jag posted:

I count my blessings every day that I was a male born into an upper-middle-class white family.

I count, vote, donate, volunteer, educate and protest my blessings.

Was pleasantly surprised (South Carolina :suicide:) to see a Palestinian Solidarity march through downtown a couple weekends back and I hope they were pleasantly surprised to have me tag along for several blocks. :unsmith:

Neo Duckberg posted:

No, as it should remain.

Yeah, agreed. Come on dude.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
St. Louis City and St. Louis County are separate completely. St. Louis county is divided into cities, each with their own department, but the county PD has jurisdiction over those areas as well. There are cities that are less than a mile wide with under 10 police, example Winchester. It's the most loving retarded concept I have ever witnessed.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Anon that video I posted was of a white guy yelling racial slurs at people cleaning up after the riots you know niggers,go back to africa etc but he posted on his youtube account that was connected to his fb soooooo......

https://twitter.com/TheAnonMessage/status/499239687173980160

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo Duckberg posted:

St. Louis City and St. Louis County are separate completely. St. Louis county is divided into cities, each with their own department, but the county PD has jurisdiction over those areas as well. There are cities that are less than a mile wide with under 10 police, example Winchester. It's the most loving retarded concept I have ever witnessed.

It sounds like your typical county -> city setup except they usually call county police sheriffs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ssthalar posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with your country? :stonk:

legacy of fear of slave revolts, 150 years later

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You know what I'm just going to make another thread.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SirKibbles posted:

Speaking of Anon that video I posted was of a white guy yelling racial slurs at people cleaning up after the riots you know niggers,go back to africa etc but he posted on his youtube account that was connected to his fb soooooo......

Holy poo poo...gets right to the root of it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zen death robot posted:

FAA posted:

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

Yup. Which is bullshit, helicopter pilots know how to stay out of the way.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SirKibbles posted:

It's somewhat unclear but if it turns out that the name mentioned there is the guy who made the video then ooooooh poo poo. Not a smart play officer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

Ahh... and that's why it was so promptly removed from youtube. Hopefully someone mirrored that video to send around to his department and whatnot. Or maybe some media since apparently the police are A-OK with that sort of thing.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yup. Which is bullshit, helicopter pilots know how to stay out of the way.

Are quadcopters and the like covered under FAA rules yet or is that all still grey?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's only to 3,000ft MSL, so it's a helicopter ban.

I don't believe directly-controlled radio aircraft are subject to NOTAM orders.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Anyone got a mirror of the video?

Also: HAHAHHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHHAA. GET WRECKED RACIST COP

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ReidRansom posted:

Are quadcopters and the like covered under FAA rules yet or is that all still grey?

Not to my understanding, quadrocopters are just R/C aircraft which aren't FAA licensed and don't follow their rules.

You still aren't allowed to fly them if it interferes with real FAA traffic, so they might be able to ding you with that if you're flying in an area with police air traffic and stuff. Or if you exceed the 400' flight limit.

Realistically you're probably pretty likely to get away with it but cops can always find a way to use the legal system to gently caress with you.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

Magres posted:

Anyone got a mirror of the video?

Also: HAHAHHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHHAA. GET WRECKED RACIST COP

His Facebook account is gone too, but it looks like the guy is such a genius that he posted this insane racist poo poo under his real name AT THIS EXTREMELY RACIST HATE SITE DO NOT CLICK THE LINK :nws: :nms:

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/showt...l=1#post1102893

quote:

I live In North Saint Louis, I loving Hate N******. Its like im the only guy with my head Strait around here? Do you have facebook if so add me https://www.facebook.com/Bdix3
Im Tired of this loving poo poo. Im Setting up a riot next saturday. All these loving hate crimes, Sick loving N****** 20 years ago a good portion of stl was very nice , now its all run down from these cancer loving j******, Get back to me man, Maybe we can go Fishing.
Brandon!

Py-O-My fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just opened a chimpout.com URL at work, thx

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Radbot posted:

Yep me too. Guess that guy is probably posting with Anthony Cumia.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Py-O-My posted:

His Facebook account is gone too, but it looks like the guy is such a genius that he posted this insane racist poo poo under his real name:

You might want to edit your post to let people know that the link you posted goes to a racist forum. I thought it was going to be a blog story or something about the cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Radbot posted:

You're not the only one.

I really hope something is done to punish that cop. I know better though.

• Locked thread