Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If you intend to handle a Juggernaut with melee, bring a heavy weapon and bait him into charging you with a tree or wall behind you. When he slams into the wall or tree, he'll stun himself and give you a nice long moment to gently caress him up while he recovers. Repeat until dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So I was playing Lifeline and I just got possibly the most broken survivor ever. It was some spec-ops guy with maxed Cardio and fighting, decent wits and shooting... and both Powerhouse *and* reflexes. Guess who I am using for the rest of the DLC?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Mountain Lightning posted:

So I was playing Lifeline and I just got possibly the most broken survivor ever. It was some spec-ops guy with maxed Cardio and fighting, decent wits and shooting... and both Powerhouse *and* reflexes. Guess who I am using for the rest of the DLC?

:drat:

Does he get to choose skills for both powerhouse and reflexes? How the hell does this even work???

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
You get one weapon specialization, one special move, etc. regardless of what skills you have. That's why you can't get max rifle and fighting and take a spec in SMG and blunt.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

:(

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Wait, Amelia Crasman is in Lifeline, is even more badass, and is an unplayable VIP. That has to be the biggest 'gently caress you' to the players I've seen in a game.

glug posted:

You get one weapon specialization, one special move, etc. regardless of what skills you have. That's why you can't get max rifle and fighting and take a spec in SMG and blunt.

Even if you can't get both special moves, the passives from Reflex & Powerhouse would be amazing. Reflex gives you + stamina regen, and powerhouse gives you + chance to 1 shot a zombie, as well as letting you carry more. Having them both is pretty broken.

You are going to be so sorry when you lose that guy to a feral 15 ft from base. Please post video of it happening along with audio of your sobbing.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 11, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Even if you can't get both special moves, the passives from Reflex & Powerhouse would be amazing. Reflex gives you + stamina regen, and powerhouse gives you + chance to 1 shot a zombie, as well as letting you carry more. Having them both is pretty broken.

Give that person Combat Endurance and a machine cutting blade, then just roll and slash your way to victory over everything.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

My favourite part is the giant F.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Started my first ever breakthrough game. Didn't even get to a green ? before getting ripped in half by some L4D hunter style zombie :welp:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tai posted:

Started my first ever breakthrough game. Didn't even get to a green ? before getting ripped in half by some L4D hunter style zombie :welp:

Ferals are the hardest freak zombies in the game, because if you see one on foot (or sometimes even in a car, ask me about losing Amelia Crasman to bad driving and a newly missing door), you have to fight them, period. The first thing I do in Breakdown is find a car. If you're not lucky enough to spawn next to one, you go up the nearest tower and find one, then go straight there. The game gets about 100x easier if you can avoid zombies by stepping on the gas and fighting on your terms.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Trip report #2

Started again

Spawned near a safehouse and got there fine.

Drove to the next area and grabbed another survior along with a spare car.

Driving back and ran over a few zombies to clear my immediate area and noticed my car was smoking so grabbed a new car and keep that one as back up.

Went round a corner too fast and hit a gas tank and blew up my new car, hosed my health and lost influence with two people.

5 zombie hordes spawned and my back up car is also toast now.

Game owns

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Ferals can be handled fairly easily by themselves, it's when they are supported by multiple zeds (or other ferals) that they become really dangerous. The trick is to get them on the ground for an execution, and this can be done by waiting for their tackle, and rolling under it. Then try to rush over to their body and execute. Shotguns can also knock them down quickly. This can be done with rank 1 survivors, but if you're not good on the timing, running to a car is the best option. Cars are usually the best way to deal with them, unless you like living dangerously, as things can easily go wrong with even the best survivors.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Don't forget about the good ol' drop kick! (Shift+Space) It seems to work well if you can hit them with it. I usually roll with a backup NPC so it makes it easier when the feral jumps them first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Haven't started Breakdown yet because it looks like at least one of my mods causes it to crash on startup :v:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I quit for an hour or so and came back to someone missing, the sick chick also away, lost influence, poo poo missing from my stash and the only dude left in the house won't join me for a raid since coming back to the game. Is this random stuff that happens that loaded when continuing?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tai posted:

I quit for an hour or so and came back to someone missing, the sick chick also away, lost influence, poo poo missing from my stash and the only dude left in the house won't join me for a raid since coming back to the game. Is this random stuff that happens that loaded when continuing?

More or less, yeah.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

TSBX posted:

Don't forget about the good ol' drop kick! (Shift+Space) It seems to work well if you can hit them with it. I usually roll with a backup NPC so it makes it easier when the feral jumps them first.

It cannot be overstated how strong the dropkick is. Assuming your character doesn't have reflexes for the spin kick, it's the easiest way of dispatching normal zombies and ferals. The only real difference with the spin kick is your character doesn't need to get back up after using it, and it has a wider attack arc so it's a bit faster and more forgiving.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 12, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Skaw posted:

It cannot be overstated how strong the dropkick is. Assuming your character doesn't have reflexes for the spin kick, it's the easiest way of dispatching normal zombies and ferals. The only real difference with the spin kick is your character doesn't need to get back up after using it, and it has a wider attack arc so it's a bit faster and more forgiving.

The dropkick can be dangerous to use with ferals, as they will get up from it almost as fast as you do. It also won't help you if they do charge you, as you'll be faced with dodging that or die.

Another option for engaging them is the bullet time perk, which will usually allow lining up some successful headshots to put them down with.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

The dropkick can be dangerous to use with ferals, as they will get up from it almost as fast as you do. It also won't help you if they do charge you, as you'll be faced with dodging that or die.

Another option for engaging them is the bullet time perk, which will usually allow lining up some successful headshots to put them down with.

Let the feral tackle your useless follower valued team member, run back a bit, 'accidentally' launch a grenade in their general direction. Also helps with getting the well rested perk back!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

The trick to getting up before a feral is to dodge towards it as soon your character hits the ground. Dodging after the dropkick cancels the get up animation and goes straight into a combat roll.

Another handy thing that I rarely see mentioned is the parry. While standing still dodge a zombie then mid-dodge press attack and your character will perform a one hit guaranteed knockdown. It's less stamina intensive than the dropkick and has a much faster recovery time. I can't remember if it works against ferals, so use it against them at your own risk.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The trick to getting up before a feral is to dodge towards it as soon your character hits the ground. Dodging after the dropkick cancels the get up animation and goes straight into a combat roll.

This part I did not know, I'll have to try that.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Another handy thing that I rarely see mentioned is the parry. While standing still dodge a zombie then mid-dodge press attack and your character will perform a one hit guaranteed knockdown. It's less stamina intensive than the dropkick and has a much faster recovery time. I can't remember if it works against ferals, so use it against them at your own risk.

I doubt this would work at all on a feral... the tackle is unblockable and their frenzy move has too many hits, and is of dubious value once you have a weapon specialty. You can roll straight through their frenzy move though, and then wail on them from behind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Is that an intentional feature? Because it's really cool if it is.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

This part I did not know, I'll have to try that.

I doubt this would work at all on a feral... the tackle is unblockable and their frenzy move has too many hits, and is of dubious value once you have a weapon specialty. You can roll straight through their frenzy move though, and then wail on them from behind.

It's the minimal stamina it uses that is its real strength. I've just found the parry combined with proper kicking to be safer when you're low on stamina than the dropkick, because the massive chunk of stamina the drop kick uses may leave you unable to follow up or maneuver away quickly. It's not a replacement for it by any means, but it is another handy tool to have in your arsenal.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is that an intentional feature? Because it's really cool if it is.

Seems intentional, I mean they could have rather simply not let you do that.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 12, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How much of my poo poo is going to be hosed up if I don't play for a week or something along that time frame? Its the only negative effect I see so far with the game if I decide not to play for awhile and then coming back to sod all influence, no food, low morale etc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tai posted:

How much of my poo poo is going to be hosed up if I don't play for a week or something along that time frame? Its the only negative effect I see so far with the game if I decide not to play for awhile and then coming back to sod all influence, no food, low morale etc.

I think it's okay as long as you are reasonably stocked up on food and medicine etc. If you've already been getting warning messages then you're risking survivor death.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pretty high morale but zero medicine. Can't seem to find any.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Tai posted:

The effects of the out-of-game simulation drop off significantly after two real days (per the devs) - essentially, the next time you start the game, it checks when the last time you played was and calculates from there. You will be fine for a week as long as you do the following the last time you play: get your morale as high as possible, have a decent amount of all your supplies (try not to have anything under 10 for example), have beds/medical area. As sebmojo points out above, if you're getting messages someone is sick, not having medicine/a medical area will increase the likelihood someone will die when you return. Also, the more outposts you have up, the better, as they give a better chance for survivors out on missions to come back on their own.

Basically if you can aim to have most of your supplies and morale maxed out (or maybe more realistically more than 50% of each supply your base can hold) each time you quit the game, you should encounter minimal problems. To this day I've never come back, even after a week, to dead/missing survivors and everything trashed as long as I did the above.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tai posted:

Morale you can easily fix by bringing back some rucksacks or doing a few missions. I don't know how later levels of Breakdown will work with the simulation but I never found myself starved for more than 2 days worth of stuff even after leaving the game for a week or so. Pretty sure it was toned down from a long time ago. Now, if they only did that for Animal Crossing ....

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tai posted:

If you have a positive flow of food & medicine from outposts & greenhouse, you can go off with almost no ill effects. Also, if your morale is low, wait till a "hordes incoming" pops up, and then run them all down with a truck, easily gives +50 morale.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm probably a bit screwed when I log in next. Med station halted due to lack of hinges (mission), one of my guys was away from home and needed help, no medicine and one person was sick. I have two maybe three outposts that give food and I think medicine but I'm probably boned when I log back in.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

bitcoin bastard posted:

Ferals are the hardest freak zombies in the game, because if you see one on foot (or sometimes even in a car, ask me about losing Amelia Crasman to bad driving and a newly missing door), you have to fight them, period. The first thing I do in Breakdown is find a car. If you're not lucky enough to spawn next to one, you go up the nearest tower and find one, then go straight there. The game gets about 100x easier if you can avoid zombies by stepping on the gas and fighting on your terms.

Speaking of stepping on the gas and fighting on your own terms, in my breakdown game I just got the achievement for busting 400 zombies with doors.

It's really cool that they had a solid GTA-ish style zombie game, added DLC to make it more of a sandbox with difficulty levels, and added another DLC for a different side of the fence mission in a new town. Hell of a game to grab on that recent sale. Lots of fun.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Man dropkicks are cool, leg sweeps are super powerful, but the king I've decided is the loving powerslam. Hit control to start suplexing a zombie, hit E immediately and you smash their head on the pavement in the process. Weapons are for chumps. I forget what someone said, but I swear one of the random survivor groups I was taking to my camp when I unlocked and started powerslamming shouted out some wrestling-fan type poo poo. I almost ripped off my shirt right there at my computer. Hulkamania was running quite wild.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tai posted:

I'm probably a bit screwed when I log in next. Med station halted due to lack of hinges (mission), one of my guys was away from home and needed help, no medicine and one person was sick. I have two maybe three outposts that give food and I think medicine but I'm probably boned when I log back in.

Projects that need something to complete them will still compete on their own if you don't get the macguffin it wants, it just takes longer. Finding that poo poo just makes it complete in a reasonable amount of playing time, which doesn't matter if you aren't actually playing and thus don't care about speeding things up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're ever afraid of getting boned by the time, download Zombie Standard Time and control exactly how long you were gone.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're ever afraid of getting boned by the time, download Zombie Standard Time and control exactly how long you were gone.

I found the time thing very useful... I'd set all my stuff to build, then take a break. Come back, everything is built, and no need to run around looking for stupid items.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I downloaded a mod that allows for all the DLC weapons to appear in all three game modes. It has not stopped me from finding something like 4 or 5 Taurus Judges in about three days, almost all in the starting town. Did Taurus just have a marketing deal with the local store?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Skandranon posted:

Wait, Amelia Crasman is in Lifeline, is even more badass, and is an unplayable VIP. That has to be the biggest 'gently caress you' to the players I've seen in a game.

You are going to be so sorry when you lose that guy to a feral 15 ft from base. Please post video of it happening along with audio of your sobbing.

I lost him to that loving "Go beat a juggernaut to death with melee" mission Sasquatch has you do.

In related news Sasquatch is no longer with us, having valiantly held off a number of zombies in a base defense mission while I pointed and laughed.

I was a bit wrong: I get wits and shooting leveled up quick through my playstyle so Spec-Ops was pretty good after my usual sort of looting mission. Speccing him with Blades, spin-kick, suplex, and combat endurance meant he was really robust. It got ridiculous. Then I wasn't paying attention to my health and whoops he's dead.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I have an issue where I can't load my damned breakdown game anymore, it looks like it's loading forever, but in the background there's a crash screen that I can't bring to focus :(

edit: woo was able to focus it temporarily long enough to read the location of the binary dump file. Now what :(

glug fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 13, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Does this work on a non steam version of state of decay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tai posted:

Does this work on a non steam version of state of decay?

There's a non-Steam version out?

• Locked thread