Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Torrannor posted:

It doesn't. And there wasn't much naval combat going on for a good part of the CK2 timeline anyway.

I used to agree. Then I got down and dirty with Republics. Given that most of their early-to-mid gameplay revolves around securing far-flung trade posts and isolated island cities, I felt the lack of naval power very goddamn keenly whenever a major land power declared war on one of my islands or attempted an overseas invasion. The trade republics of the period lived and died by sea power, something that becomes jarringly obvious when you play them.

That said, I'd call it a lower priority than more character roleplaying stuff. The friend/rival/lover system is in dire need of fleshing out, and past a certain point the game can get pretty dry between wars. More stuff to focus on and get involved in when you're not in a position to conquer would be just dandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

This would be badass. Maybe an event chain where if you own Syria, you can get a Damascus steel sword and then pass it down to your heir, and it gives you an advantage in the HIP duel mechanics that they ought to import to the base game too. Eventually, it might break in battle so you get a temporary -1 Martial "this new sword sucks balls" modifier until you commission a new one.

Oh, and you could also name it! You know, if you're into cheesy fantasy as much as I am. :black101:

There's actually a really good mod in the Steam Workshop that allows you to forge a Damascus Steel sword if you meet certain conditions like owning Syria, being on Hajj / pilgrimage, having the brave trait, etc. I'm pretty sure it gives you a small boost to your martial ability and a +5 vassal opinion. It's pretty neat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rincewind posted:

3D third person throne rooms for your Crusader King.

If it causes the game to look and control like RUSE, I am all over this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've been trying to think of what the new expac could be at that price, and if it's not a map expansion I can only assume it's going to be something like The Dark Ages starting the day after Rome fell or something. Things like TOG and RoI have been pretty huge expansions and haven't been as expensive, so this definitely can't just be tweaks and additions and stuff, and I doubt they'd put up an alt-history DLC for that price no matter how big it might be.

I would love to get occasional $4 event packs and poo poo though, I'd never stop buying them.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm at a total loss as to what we're getting. That excites me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If it's a $20 expansion, there's gotta be more to it than just new events and pictures. If it's not map expansion (and honestly I don't really think that would be a great idea considering how RoI pushes at the edge of what'll run nicely on most computers), then it must be some actual new interface stuff; new screens, new clickables, and so on. I'd bet you dollars to donuts that it's going to be a massive boost in internal politics -- dynastic politics and vassal intrigue stuff, with a lot of new flavor events for the more un-fleshed-out parts of the map, like West African pagans and Ethiopia. SoA was like $10, and it came with a whole new Cardinal election screen and all those nifty new events, so it's got to be "twice as big" as SoA on that front.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Elias_Maluco posted:

Some interface improvements would be nice too.

Like, for inviting people into your court, you have to open the character list, search and then click "invite to court" for everyone you would like to invite until you find someone willing. Its a major pain in the arse. If we could have a icon (like that one in the "invite to plot" window), red for "noway", yellow for "if you gift him first", green for "yes" etc.

I would pay $20 for this. It should be easy, seeing as how the very similar ability already exists to see at a glance whether someone is "no/maybe if bribed/yes" toward the notion of joining your plot.

I would also like to be able to search for Geniuses and Quicks without having to scroll long character lists with my eyeballs. Though I don't know why I bother, as the game goes out of its way to kill Geniuses.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would pay $20 for this. It should be easy, seeing as how the very similar ability already exists to see at a glance whether someone is "no/maybe if bribed/yes" toward the notion of joining your plot.

I would also like to be able to search for Geniuses and Quicks without having to scroll long character lists with my eyeballs. Though I don't know why I bother, as the game goes out of its way to kill Geniuses.

You totally can, though. Just type it into the search bar in the character finder! You can even search for more than one trait, or even names and dynasties. It's easy to find all the Lustful Geniuses that exist in the world. (Not that there are many)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I like this idea a lot, I wonder how moddable it is.

The "Autonomous Vassals means no vassal levies" part miiiight be moddable, but the rest is probably not. I can't think of any way for the scripting system to have one character be another character's "liege but not really", which is how a mod would have to implement truly autonomous vassals. Things like "all vassals are at war with whoever the liege is" are hard-coded.

Here's the thing, though: having a unique system for truly autonomous, HRE-style vassalage just doesn't gel with the way that CKII presents centralization as an incremental thing. It shouldn't be on a sliding scale with France-style absolute monarchy, because it's just two fundamentally different systems. You shouldn't be able to shift from autonomy to central government because 51% of your vassals think you're an alright guy.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Uh... the DLC obviously going to be Aztec horse armor. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Inside Outside posted:

There's actually a really good mod in the Steam Workshop that allows you to forge a Damascus Steel sword if you meet certain conditions like owning Syria, being on Hajj / pilgrimage, having the brave trait, etc. I'm pretty sure it gives you a small boost to your martial ability and a +5 vassal opinion. It's pretty neat.

Is it compatible with HIP? If so, I'm downloading as soon as I get off work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DrSunshine posted:

You totally can, though. Just type it into the search bar in the character finder! You can even search for more than one trait, or even names and dynasties. It's easy to find all the Lustful Geniuses that exist in the world. (Not that there are many)

:catstare: You just, like, totally expanded my mind, man.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is it compatible with HIP? If so, I'm downloading as soon as I get off work.

I only use the extra events in HIP but it works fine, so I'm gonna say yes.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DStecks posted:

Here's the thing, though: having a unique system for truly autonomous, HRE-style vassalage just doesn't gel with the way that CKII presents centralization as an incremental thing. It shouldn't be on a sliding scale with France-style absolute monarchy, because it's just two fundamentally different systems. You shouldn't be able to shift from autonomy to central government because 51% of your vassals think you're an alright guy.

You can only change crown laws once per ruler, though.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something similar to the autonomous vassals thing that I'd like to see would be more diplomatic options via like tribute, homage, and other things that were a big part of medieval politicks, especially between different cultures and religions.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coinfeudation DLC. Come on. It isn't the real early medieval experience if you can't be the vassal of two lords at once, and have an incredibly complicated document explaining what you will do if they go to war with each other. (Send your troops to one and send yourself to the other, for instance.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A diplomatic option that gives you the ability to bribe a ruler not to conquer you. For example, if I'm playing as the Khazars, or the Rus', it would be very very helpful if I could just pay tribute instead of madly scrambling to assemble a super-blob empire with 60,000 cataphract retinues or something in order to maybe have a chance at surviving.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sam. posted:

You can only change crown laws once per ruler, though.

Which in terms of CKII is still pretty drat fast, though. And besides, my point was that going from autonomous vassals to weak crown authority is still a single notch which can be easily moved if you're a long-ruling liege who's generally liked; i.e. the situation that often happens in an elective monarchy where the electors have to like a guy to vote for him in the first place.

Like, are we suggesting that the reason the HRE stayed a decentralized mess for 800 years was because never once did the Kaiser think to just ask for more authority?

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So a question, what would stop kingdoms, duchies or counties from floating into my empire? Because as Scandinavia only England is getting the floating message. Ireland, Germany, Frisca, and Scotland are all just doing their own things.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
You need to control every single holding in the kingdom for it to drift into your empire, every barony, every city and every temple. Check to make sure your counties don't have holdings controlled by outside powers. Given those kingdoms, there might be some holdings controlled by christian holy orders hiding out there.

Further, counties don't drift by themselves, duchies can drift into kingdoms but wont just drift into your empire unless you make them drift into a kingdom that is already de jure part of your empire.

Also if they were drifting into something else before they will have to drift out of it first before starting to drift into something else.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1
0.1.1 patch (fixes faction and religion bugs)
If you're seeing Caribbean/Tuskegean characters without faces, get the African Portraits DLC or delete interface/portraits_african.gfx.

Thanks to Ofaloaf and Klonself for all their hard work.

Alright, so throwing some stuff out there.

Played as Duchy of Burning River. Played for about forty years, had a ton of fun, but right around 2705-07, the game started to CTD every couple of months. Never got to finish collecting all of Ohio with my King. Kind of a bummer.

Also, in Cayuga County, I see you have Elyria, Lakewood, Parma, and BRECKSVILLE? I demand justice, if Brecksville gets a spot in the future post-nuclear war dark ages of America, I demand my lovely little depressed bluecollar hamlet of Bedford gets in-game representation to, even if I have to build it from an empty building square. Otherwise I'm totally calling you guys out on being West-sider favoritists. :colbert:

The Merchant Republic of Detroit rocks, by the way.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

TheBlackRoija posted:

You need to control every single holding in the kingdom for it to drift into your empire, every barony, every city and every temple. Check to make sure your counties don't have holdings controlled by outside powers. Given those kingdoms, there might be some holdings controlled by christian holy orders hiding out there.

Further, counties don't drift by themselves, duchies can drift into kingdoms but wont just drift into your empire unless you make them drift into a kingdom that is already de jure part of your empire.

Also if they were drifting into something else before they will have to drift out of it first before starting to drift into something else.

This is making even less sense to me now because Germany is completely under my control and is not drifting, but England has a barony owned by the Templars and it is drifting just fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm probably missing something since I haven't played in a long time. My Queen's husband died and I tried to remarry her. But no matter what, I couldn't get anybody to appear on the list for arranging marriage. Is there some new mechanic or something that might prevent me? I even tried inviting a noble to my court but he didn't appear. Not sure what I might have been missing ...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm probably missing something since I haven't played in a long time. My Queen's husband died and I tried to remarry her. But no matter what, I couldn't get anybody to appear on the list for arranging marriage. Is there some new mechanic or something that might prevent me? I even tried inviting a noble to my court but he didn't appear. Not sure what I might have been missing ...

First make sure you've selected matrilineal. Second, often people won't be willing to marry a woman who can't have children, so if she's older than about 45 the list will be a lot shorter (though still shouldn't be nobody, as long as it is indeed matrilineal).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Turns out my grandson won't inherit the Hungarian county anyway. My duchy is being inherited by the eldest son of the first marriage while Trencin is being inherited by the eldest son of the second marriage to the Countess since he is her successor.

Joke's on her, my heir's an awesome general while the heir to Trencin is an idiot.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
God loving dammit. I can't manage to get a decent son out of any of my wives' poison wombs. First wife has the Strong trait, gives me a son with Weak and Sickly. He conveniently dies in infancy. Next son is born a hunchback. Great. Cue me trying for several years to have another son with nothing but daughters to show for it. Eventually the rest of Spain drags me down and I concede that game. I start up another game and the very first son out the gate is Slow. :psyduck:

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never tried the multiplayer. Does it work at all?

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Okay, I found out what I was doing wrong with the Lux Invicta install: I had accidentally named the folder Lux Invivta

It works now, though. Thanks for the help.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the guy making the post-apoc America mod, here's a bit of local flavor you may find of use. Consider making the Florida Keys a merchant republic, specifically the Conch Republic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Entropia posted:

I've never tried the multiplayer. Does it work at all?

Yeah, they've improved it a lot over the last months. You can even invite people directly into your game through the steam overlay now. The frequent crashes and desyncs seems to have gotten much better as well.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
How does multiplayer even work? How can you pause the game?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Everyone has the same speed, abuse your friend until they speed it up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

beedeebee posted:

How does multiplayer even work? How can you pause the game?

Everyone can pause but if you do with out good reason your gonna get mocked. You need learn to react in real time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rumda posted:

Everyone can pause but if you do with out good reason your gonna get mocked. You need learn to react in real time.

Also, anyone can unpause the game after 30 seconds.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rumda posted:

What speed peoiple usually play on?

I also never played MP, but Ive been wanting to try for a while. Is there any goon groups or something to find players? I dont have any real life friends who play CK2.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont have any real life friends

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
New expansion is being announced tomorrow.

9 PM CEST, 3 PM EST, Noon PST. Livestream on their Twitch channel.

Gonna be eagerly tuning in, wondering what it is. Hope it's not a map extension, maybe just a metric fuckton of mechanics that people have been asking for. If I can start as a landless guy who travels around the courts of Europe asking for support for my conquest of a place, I'll be happy.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's going to be skeletons.

I can feel it in my bones.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Personally, I hope it's this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

It's going to be skeletons.

I can feel it in my bones. :yohoho:

Fixed that for you.

Gosh, tomorrow can't come soon enough! I'm so excited for the next update -- so far all of the CK2 DLCs have been fantastic and well worth the money!

• Locked thread