Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
My first TRPG was the starter set for AD&D that I played a few times with my mom and her boyfriend at the time. Since it was just the three of us, we'd switch off DMing (and each player would play two characters) the few scenarios in the book and I had a blast.

After that was a short stint with my boyfriend playing 3e for a bit, with him DMing and me playing.

The first real campaign I played in was 4e with a group of friends. D'aw, memories. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
My first game as GM (not campaign) was a Call of Cthulhu d20 one. Th player characters were all thrown in jail on trumped up charges and charged by the mayor with getting rid of some weirdos by the beach. The weirdos were deep ones.

Highlights of the game included one character spending the entire time disassembling the library after a series of failed information rolls; another character brandishing pants on a stick against the deep ones, then later shoving an evil artifact into his pants and winning a battle of wits with it. And when they went to report back on everything to the mayor, he began to expand into a shoggoth lord. Yet another player calmly explained that he'd be taking out his 19 sticks of dynamite, lighting them, and leaping out the window.

It was not exactly subtle. It certainly was not Call of Cthulhu in the purist sense. It was a lot of fun, though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Oh man, my first campaign was this massive(ly terrible) fantasy epic that mashed Dark Sun and Spelljammer together, and involved my super-overpowered DMPC shuffling the PC's all over creation trying to solve a mystery that ended with the DMPC realizing that he was a reincarnated leader of a resistance group that fought Rjaat's champions during the Cleansing Wars. They would then find a hidden spelljamming fleet that was built millennia ago by the resistance and hidden, only the ships were powered by psionic power points instead of magic. This of course would lead to useing it to fight the sorcerer kings and try to free Athas.

It lasted like two sessions.

I think I've still got some of my notes, and incredibly broken spelljammer MINDjammer ship designs buried in a closet somewhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My first experience with D&D was in middle school. We never really did a full campaign, we just kinda messed around a bit in the cafeteria. Then I kinda did nothing for a few years. Made a couple more tries that never got off the ground, then I did a 4E thing with a few goons a couple years ago that I had to stop when I moved back to America for school. Then a year passed, and here I am.

There, I'm boring.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My first roleplaying experience was freeform IRC roleplaying stuff.

My first tabletop roleplaying experience, barring things like me trying and failing to get games together at various points in time or a few online games with the people from the aforementioned IRC (using weird homebrew systems and generally not lasting beyond a few forum pages unfortunately), was a game of D&D 3.5e in college. We all started at level one, our party nearly died to some spiders, and my stepmother called me on my cell phone and I had to leave the room for ten or more minutes to talk to her. While we were originally planning on a campaign that ended up being our only session.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

fatherdog posted:

Think of whatever the most complicated melee combat system you've ever played was. Was that not complicated enough for you? If so, Riddle of Steel is probably a good buy. If not, no.

Have you heard the good news about GURPS TECHNICAL GRAPPLING?

Because I have not.

Also thankee to whoever got me Dude Love, it is good times.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Sionak posted:

It was not exactly subtle. It certainly was not Call of Cthulhu in the purist sense. It was a lot of fun, though.

My first ever TRPG was a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game I ran for a bunch of friends as a teenager, and more or less this. It was a while ago and I don't remember a lot of what happened, but what I do remember is most horrible embarrassing monkey-cheese failed attempts at being clever/original. That said, I also remember it being a lot of fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OtspIII posted:

My first ever TRPG was a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game I ran for a bunch of friends as a teenager, and more or less this. It was a while ago and I don't remember a lot of what happened, but what I do remember is most horrible embarrassing monkey-cheese failed attempts at being clever/original. That said, I also remember it being a lot of fun.

The first game I ran was this exact same situation. I thought I was super clever and funny with my monkey zombies and other, dumber, poo poo I thankfully only barely remember.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

There was one of those, but it's since been archived. Remains of the Game, IIRC started by Ettin.

It was me, I made that thread.

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Anyway it turned out getting people to post (or read) that kind of stuff is actually super-hard. Everybody wants to be the bridesmaid but never the bride, or something like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was me, I made that thread.

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Anyway it turned out getting people to post (or read) that kind of stuff is actually super-hard. Everybody wants to be the bridesmaid but never the bride, or something like that.

All that means is that you are an Ettin sockpuppet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh are we talking about first RPG experiences?

The first game I ever played was some horrible mashup of Storyteller and Palladium rules that my then best friend's older brother (who was something of a quintessential 90's White Wolf player, complete with black trenchcoat and a girlfriend who enjoyed playing fishmalks) ran for us during one of our regular "stay up all night playing video games and drinking unhealthy amounts of caffeine" get-togethers.

It was like 20 or 30 pages of cobbled together pages of notebook paper stuffed in a binder, it made less than zero sense, and 16 year old me thought it was amazing. The only thing I can clearly remember was my character going to a local gym in order to train my hand-to-hand fighting ability (because being partially based on Palladium meant Boxing was king) and beating up my opponent so hard that I broke his neck.

The first game I ever ran was Feng Shui, which was also the first game I ever bought. I wasn't too much older and had no GMing experience and it was frankly pretty awful. I ran it for three of my friends, none of whom had ever really shown any interest in tabletop gaming before, and they all seemed to have a good time but after a couple of sessions I just wasn't really feeling it anymore. I learned several valuable lessons about how Feng Shui's system worked in practice and also to not use homebrew stuff downloaded off the internet without serious scrutiny beforehand.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

All that means is that you are an Ettin sockpuppet.

It's not a sockpuppet when you literally have two heads.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

What is your avatar from?

Persona 2, like Davin said.

First game I ever ran was Star Wars d6, and it was not very good, probably because I was like fourteen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My first ever experience with role playing was attempting to run a game for my brothers with a found copy of the Palladium Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. We had no funny dice, and at roughly 7 years old I was completely in the dark as to how the rules worked. That game blew my young mind away though, the Ninja Turtles were way more bad rear end than the cartoon made them out to be.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ettin is actually a hydra

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Winson_Paine posted:

I will answer questions at this point.
Dio Brando or Freeza

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

My first actual RPG experience was a dude on the internet who bought kid me a bunch of 2nd edition books, including my fav., Thri-Kreens of Athas, and then suggested that we do sexual roleplaying with his wife.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

These were different people than the woman that offered to buy me from my parents.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

remusclaw posted:

My first ever experience with role playing was attempting to run a game for my brothers with a found copy of the Palladium Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. We had no funny dice, and at roughly 7 years old I was completely in the dark as to how the rules worked. That game blew my young mind away though, the Ninja Turtles were way more bad rear end than the cartoon made them out to be.

mine is similar, except the GM was an older kid who knew the rules. My ninja raccoon biker blew up when he failed to detect a trapped train door and blew up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

These were different people than the woman that offered to buy me from my parents.
Yes, this story sounds much more interesting than whatever's happening in this thread now, please expand on it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
MSW is apparently from a world called Gor *whipcrack*

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Holy poo poo I dimly remember hearing about this! You should definitely share both stories.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
My first rpg experience, both playing and running, was straight 3.0 D&D, about as average as you can get. I was pretty drat excited that the game from that one episode of Dexter's Lab was actually based on something real and I could cease my feverish attempts to reverse engineer it.

Also, tell the story, MSW.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

ettin is actually a hydra

HAIL HYDRA!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I didn't even know I was having my first roleplaying experience when I had it. As children, my brother and I were forbidden from playing Dungeons & Dragons because of the game's alleged demonic affiliation. However, we were children with a love for fantasy fiction and for playing pretend, so somehow we ended up cobbling together a basic set of rules for interactions, expanded during play like the nerdiest game of Calvinball ever.

It was cut short however, when my mother heard my brother claim to be a "wizard." We tried changing it to "sorcerer," but it turned out that was just as bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my first rpg experience was running pathfinder

my players went on a bughunt in the catacombs underneath a tavern

the rogue asked if they could turn the (sentient) creature that'd been controlling the giant insects into a hooded cloak with ears using their craft: taxidermy skill :stare:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What were you actually expecting when you say Craft: Taxidermy on the sheet, anyway?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trophies from nonsentient creatures, perhaps

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Star Trek ain't got poo poo on D&D's ethical conundrums.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
My first game was playing Dragon Warriors with my old man. I was about seven, and he was a pretty brutal GM.

Later, in high school, I ran Dragon Warriors for my friends. I was a pretty clueless GM.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not a sockpuppet when you literally have two heads.

:wink:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
My first game was TMNT. I don't remember much other than one of the players being a walking rhino who carried a gatling gun, another as kung-fu white tiger ala Long from Bloody Roar 2, a coyote who went through front doors on a dirt bike, and an old man crow NPC who regularly kicked our asses to motivate us to be better.

Also, belated addition to the donation pile.

Not much, but I had to bring my cat back from the vet today and that cost a fair bit.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

My first game was TMNT. I don't remember much other than one of the players being a walking rhino who carried a gatling gun, another as kung-fu white tiger ala Long from Bloody Roar 2, a coyote who went through front doors on a dirt bike, and an old man crow NPC who regularly kicked our asses to motivate us to be better.

Is the TMNT game any good? Because that sounds amazing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's by Palladium so take a guess.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Evil Sagan posted:

It is probably the most playable of any of the Palladium line.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is possible and ok to have fun with bad rpgs while playing with good people, as long as you don't mistake the game itself for the source of the fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kai Tave posted:

It's by Palladium so take a guess.

I have no context for this, I just wanna be radical.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

it is possible and ok to have fun with bad rpgs while playing with good people, as long as you don't mistake the game itself for the source of the fun

Wisdom

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Evil Sagan posted:

It's basically nonfunctional 'out of the box' - to get the most out of it use it as a source of character inspiration and port the whole thing across to a different system.

I'm most pleased with the ability to be an elephant - no opposable thumbs, walks on all fours, just a regular elephant - who also knows kung fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: The Drizzt audiobook narrated (partially) by Ice-T is free GET UP ON THIS. :siren:

• Locked thread