Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Those FOTS naval support strikes are so fantastic. It's great to call in the wide-area strike on an advancing army and just roll the dice and see who gets a-sploded. :supaburn:

That's for sure my favorite Total War game, and it makes me super excited for Empire 2 or Napoleon 2 (want it so badly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Instead of making an Empire 2 or Napoleon 2 for the next European oriented game, I would much rather they made a game set in the 17th century focusing on the Thirty Years War

They could call it Total War: Total War

It would also be interesting for Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian campaigns, the rise of the Dutch, the various Polish-Russian wars, etc.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 12, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, it seems Fall of the Samurai is balanced against invading places at the very beginning. Loving the interface though, and the naval combat is slightly less awful. Not sure if I enjoy the early game though, it seems like a slow game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, it seems Fall of the Samurai is balanced against invading places at the very beginning. Loving the interface though, and the naval combat is slightly less awful. Not sure if I enjoy the early game though, it seems like a slow game.

Once you grab enough land and secure one of the gold mines, you'll have enough money to back your clan. Then you get the gaijin involved, then the real fun begins!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Instead of making an Empire 2 or Napoleon 2 for the next European oriented game, I would much rather they made a game set in the 17th century focusing on the Thirty Years War

They could call it Total War: Total War

It would also be interesting for Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian campaigns, the rise of the Dutch, the various Polish-Russian wars, etc.

You've connected a Silk trade resource to your empire. Units built in this province can now build infantry with UPGRADED CODPIECE.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

FotS isn't quite like the conventional Total War campaign, no. It's hard to start out and in the beginning you're pretty much the same as everyone else. You start in winter, which is a soft hint to not immediately sally forth against the person you're at war with. Take those turns and buy a few extra units and push out after, taking care to win your battles smartly. Don't attack the town, siege it and let them sally out.

Once you get through that first 30~ turn slump the game picks up. It's just poo poo is extremely expensive and there isn't really a fast trick to get money.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Probably gonna restart my Satsuma campaign AGAIN. 90 turns in and I haven't conquered all of Kyushu yet because I spent a ton of it dicking around and starting revolts so I could take it rather than just up and declaring war on people. I spent a lot of turns hopefully waiting for rebels to walk in and take a city but they prefer to go raiding or lose because they are mostly traditional units. But on the bright side I figured out how to use agents when I usually ignore them.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

After a couple years dicking around in M2 with stainless steel and empire with darthmod, I picked up Rome 2 (which barely runs in my machine, but is still -amazing-) and had my first ever properly successful campaign. Rome on hard, steamrolled Carthage way too easily and proceeded to conquer the entire western Mediterranean and beyond.

Aside from Carthage dying to Syracuse, which I plan on remedying next time either in the normal campaign or HATG, it was one of the best strategy game experiences I've ever had. I was never able to really get into campaigns in previous total war games, but rome 2's objective system and pacing kept me going in a big way.

This thread's raging hard-on for Shogun 2 convinced me to get that as well, and after getting crushed in realm divide as the shimazu I'm in love. I overextended and got my back broken, but it was :black101: as gently caress fighting off all those full stack armies and navies. I got a real feeling of desperation trying to keep my territory together, which is really refreshing after so much time in medieval 2 slowly expanding over the entire length of the campaign (except for the mongols and timurids, which I never liked).

I'm having a hard time getting started on Rise and Fall, though. In Rise I think the biggest difficulty I'm having is figuring out how to make the earlier, shittier army compositions work. The agents are amazing though, and convincing settlements to join peacefully feels great during early expansion.

Fall is tougher. I'm having a hard time with the battles early in the campaign and I keep getting smashed trying to take the first region for Tosa and Satsuma. Is the campaign supposed to be much slower at the start? I'm used to blitzing the first few provinces when I start a campaign, but the time it takes to travel in FotS is making that really difficult. I might just be terrible at gun fites though, Empire might have spoiled me with how easy it was to mass line infantry and fold my line over the enemy force once one flank got an advantage.

The only mods I'm using are occupation resistance for the AI and the expanded artillery roster that's been recommended here so much.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

protastic posted:

Fall is tougher. I'm having a hard time with the battles early in the campaign and I keep getting smashed trying to take the first region for Tosa and Satsuma. Is the campaign supposed to be much slower at the start? I'm used to blitzing the first few provinces when I start a campaign, but the time it takes to travel in FotS is making that really difficult. I might just be terrible at gun fites though, Empire might have spoiled me with how easy it was to mass line infantry and fold my line over the enemy force once one flank got an advantage.

The only mods I'm using are occupation resistance for the AI and the expanded artillery roster that's been recommended here so much.

Just wait until you get the foreign ironclads. HMS Warrior is a floating death star.

And sieges with naval bombardment support are a much better experience. I think 2 of the 3 "very fertile" provinces by the Satsuma are in naval bombardment range.

edit:
More content. Remember how you should probably outnumber the defenders 2:1 when you're on siege attack? Now give most of the defenders guns and the odds get even worse. I found that waiting out the siege and forcing the defenders to meet you in the field is pretty helpful towards taking those first few provinces.
And the Satsuma starting territory has huge gaps between settlements, so you're going to be doing a lot of slow traveling. It gets better once you get to geographically smaller provinces.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 15, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vuJrECi3o

This madness might actually be released!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mans posted:

They're dumping previews on Moddb like crazy. It really does seem like it is coming out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mans posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss. I am so glad I reinstalled M2TW for Hyrule because now I don't have to break out those discs to play EB2. :getin:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo, I can't believe that's going to see the light of day.
Well, after Duke Forever and Shogun 2 came out I guess I'm willing to believe anything can get released these days.

gently caress, the music is incredible and the detail looks incredible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So re: FOTS, I got into realm divide and I think I can do it (I have like 5/6 years to go in a long campaign, 33/50 provinces).

Weird question though, is there no way to switch the ruling clan loyalty if you vassal it post-RD? Kinda annoying that I have to basically pick up all the tiny provinces I don't feel like caring for just because "hey, here you go vassal", it turns out to be a shogun-loyal clan, and then declares war on me a turn later (or all my allies make me break my alliance).

Also holy gently caress gatling guns, I can't believe it took me until 125+ turns to get them.

Sober fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 15, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks a lot, thread. All this talk made me want to start a FOTS campaign.
I got other stuff I need to do!

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Got the full FOTS pack for 10 bucks. Its very good, in case anyone is on the fence.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I really want to play an actual FOTS campaign but it has not been ported over for Mac yet. What is weird is that the version of Shogun 2 I have includes several historical battles from FOTS complete with 19th century units and the redesigned interface etc. Just not the campaign.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/totalwar_weekend

Humble Bundle store has a bunch of Total War titles on sale for the weekend. Rome 2 is $20, so you can buy it and complain about it in the other thread or join the apologists.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

For its price, it is fantastic. The line of sight system is so much better for multiplayer than obvious certain positions where you can be "Hidden" by sitting in shrubbery.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Little disappointed with the FOTS artillery mod.
The rocket dudes are awesome on siege defense... unless someone climbs the walls underneath them. They all shoot at their feet like they're doing a Quake style rocket jump and die. Oops.

And the 4 inch mortar is OK, but it's stationary, and still hasn't come to bear in a field battle. In the siege battles it has participated in, it hasn't been able to move in close enough to actually hit people inside the walls.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Odd, I'm pretty sure the siege mortar covered the whole fort and was pretty drat handy in defence when I played it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I had a crappy day yesterday, so I decided to stay up late playing FOTS and had a great time.
Kneel fire is the best thing :allears:

Sieges are so dangerous in this game. I had more than one siege with three units of line infantry on the walls finishing the battle with over 300 kills each.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I played far, far too much FOTS this week. But finally:

This was a loving slog by the end - the last 50 turns or so there was no danger whatsoever of losing, so I just had to grind my way up to the victory province threshold while playing whack-a-mole with enemy fleets. The previous 80% of the campaign was a lot of fun though, and since this was my second attempt at a Republic victory it was pretty satisfying to get here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The end is pretty much like that, but it is quite satisfying. I expect Fall is the one where people can reach the end instead of giving up and starting a new campaign.

Still bitter about Super India and Super Austria turning on me and ruining my best ETW Brit campaign. I always get bogged down fighting in North America and struggling with the fleet and trade with the British.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm playing a short campaign. I'm hoping I can just snag my 14 required provinces, have other imperial clans hold the other 11 (so 25 imperial provinces total) and then do a naval landing to capture Musashi in a turn or two.

And whack-a-mole with enemy fleets is pretty fun with the foreign ironclads

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It turns into 'How many ships can the Warrior eat before needing repairs'.

I loving love that ship, next to HMS Victory of course.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

canyoneer posted:

I'm playing a short campaign. I'm hoping I can just snag my 14 required provinces, have other imperial clans hold the other 11 (so 25 imperial provinces total) and then do a naval landing to capture Musashi in a turn or two.

And whack-a-mole with enemy fleets is pretty fun with the foreign ironclads

It's fun for the first couple dozen battles. By naval battle no. 113, it's wearing pretty thin - and you can't autoresolve because the autoresolve likes to sink your basically unsinkable ironclads.

Also that short campaign strategy is fine - that's how I won my Imperial Campaign for sure.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is Europa Barbarorum 2 meant to be coming out today?

I tried to look it up on TWCenter but it's such a mess over there I can't find an answer.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Is Europa Barbarorum 2 meant to be coming out today?

I tried to look it up on TWCenter but it's such a mess over there I can't find an answer.

gently caress I have an exam on Tuesday

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Looks like it. It's going to be far from as complete and developed as the orginal rome version was of course, but i'm none the less excited and hopeful!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Been playing Shogun 2 again some with the Hattori. I find they have nothing really of value so far (screw sabotaging farms), except maybe placing the units where you want on the battlefield. There's one thing though that make up for their lack of punch: that boss color scheme!

:getin:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone in any of these games allow the "drop in" battles? I think it would bump up the challenge significantly without the cheaty bonuses that the AI gets towards income at higher difficulties.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are people flipping out at the idea of Naked Barbarians in EB II having penises and demanding loincloth mods at release date. The idiocy in TWC is staggering.

Also, looking at the blooper reel thread you should expect some pretty confusing and hilarious bugs every once in a while. They're trying their hardest to fix all of them but it's possible they couldn't fix them all by release date.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Odd, normally people flip out at clothes and demand more dicks and/or boobs in their mods.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Odd, normally people flip out at clothes and demand more dicks and/or boobs in their mods.

TWC is now fully populated by Victorian era manchildren.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

This is TWC, the sight of big swinging barbarian dicks intimidate them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tiny dicks are a sign of civilization, don't you know? :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I hope this leads to some TWC poster complaining about the racism inherant behind depicting gauls with bigger dicks than the celtic-britains or germanic peoples or romans or whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I hope this leads to some TWC poster complaining about the racism inherant behind depicting gauls with bigger dicks than the celtic-britains or germanic peoples or romans or whatever.

Make the people from Baltic territories have micropenises and start receiving bombs in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I've got SeanBeansShako's post on FotS mods, but are there recommended mods that overhaul default Shogun 2? I feel like a fresh run through. :)