Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

In Metro your eavesdropping affects your character's morality (generally positively) and can impact which ending you get, so you've got that going for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

So far the only fault I can find in this game is that they turned Patty from a respectable swashbuckler into a pirate clown.

It's no where near as bad as what they put her in the first Risen, but they took one of the only small victories the second game had and just slathered her in goofy sex appeal again.

I don't know, I posted this in the RPS comments section since this is outrage worthy for them, there's nothing really wrong with that outfit. It looks like something out of Hook and I kind of dig that. It's just a corset someone sneezed bright paint on. I've seen worse at renaissance fairs. The best part is she's wearing regular boots. No stiletto heels or anything. That in itself is fantastic. (I'm looking at you Divinity: Original Sin)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I don't know, I posted this in the RPS comments section since this is outrage worthy for them, there's nothing really wrong with that outfit. It looks like something out of Hook and I kind of dig that. It's just a corset someone sneezed bright paint on. I've seen worse at renaissance fairs. The best part is she's wearing regular boots. No stiletto heels or anything. That in itself is fantastic. (I'm looking at you Divinity: Original Sin)

How far are you zoomed in to see peoples footwear in D:OS?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Geokinesis posted:

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

No joke, here in the USA yesterday I witnessed a driver come to a complete stop in the middle of a roundabout, put on his blinker to indicate he wanted to turn into oncoming traffic, and follow through on that by driving the wrong direction out of the roundabout, into traffic approaching the roundabout.

That linked software would do nothing for a person like that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The outfit is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the folks over at SteamDB has uncovered a bunch of new features coming in Steam Store v6. Steam Guard working with Google Authenticator, anyone?

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 12, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

The outfit is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

What bothers me most is that she's somehow morphed into Judith Mossman.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

So, the folks over at SteamDB has uncovered a bunch of new features coming in Steam Store v6. Steam Guard working with Google Authenticator, anyone?

"Curators" sounds reminiscent of the "build your own storefront" feature that was supposed to make Greenlight irrelevant. Maybe this is a first pass at that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

Bunch of interesting stuff listed there

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

In Metro your eavesdropping affects your character's morality (generally positively) and can impact which ending you get, so you've got that going for you

Might be worth waiting on the Redux version of Metro 2033. They've done a hell of a lot more than your average 'HD' version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwVvl71JnM

Looks like a full remake, running on the Last Light engine (which not only looks better, but runs much smoother). They're upgrading the gameplay too, so the combat and stealth should be much tighter too.

I love what they've done with the environments - it looks much more frozen and winter'y in 2033, to contrast more with the meltwater-flooded spring tones of Last Light.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd plat that again. I really aught to play Last Light eventually too. :kiddo:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Risen 3: If you have an undying love for European jank RPGs, pick it up when it hits $10. Maybe don't otherwise.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I'd plat that again. I really aught to play Last Light eventually too. :kiddo:

Last Light is great. Probably the closest we've gotten to a Half-Life 3, to date. That Redux double-pack is going to be seriously great unless they somehow gently caress something up terribly at the last moment.

Not bad for a small, frequently-underfunded Russian studio.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I couldn't get into the Gothic or Risen series at all, and I'm usually a sucker for third-person RPGs. Probably didn't help that I started with Gothic 3.

Metro: Last Light is definitely worth a playthrough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

I couldn't get into the Gothic or Risen series at all, and I'm usually a sucker for third-person RPGs. Probably didn't help that I started with Gothic 3.

They are products of a bygone era without question. To answer what some of you who do enjoy Gothic/Risen 1 may be asking, Risen 3 is Risen 2 except not poo poo (all the good parts of Risen 1 are back). It's still maybe not worth $60.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Kin posted:

I just started playing the secret world but the keyboard/mouse controls feel a little off, is there a way to set up a gamepad to be used with it?

I've got a PS3 controller hooked up with better DS3 but i don't think the game has built in gamepad support.

The best option is to have a mouse with a numpad on the side. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it ends up feeling more playable after that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Might be worth waiting on the Redux version of Metro 2033. They've done a hell of a lot more than your average 'HD' version.

Looks like a full remake, running on the Last Light engine (which not only looks better, but runs much smoother). They're upgrading the gameplay too, so the combat and stealth should be much tighter too.

I love what they've done with the environments - it looks much more frozen and winter'y in 2033, to contrast more with the meltwater-flooded spring tones of Last Light.

Okay, that's the kind of information I was waiting for. Still not sure it's worth only 50% off for previous owners (especially since Last Light Redux only looks like a GOTY edition with the mostly lackluster DLC I already have) but the Metro 2033 Redux looks like something I wouldn't hesitate at all on for 66% or 75% off. Might even get it for the $12.50 if early reviews say its worth it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Risen 3: If you have an undying love for European jank RPGs, pick it up when it hits $10. Maybe don't otherwise.

Could you explain? I have a hard time figuring out goon dis-recommendations because lots of people go "Eh, wait for a Steam sale when it's $10" even if it's something like Wolfenstein or their personal Game of the Year.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Could you explain? I have a hard time figuring out goon dis-recommendations because lots of people go "Eh, wait for a Steam sale when it's $10" even if it's something like Wolfenstein or their personal Game of the Year.

So when I say European jank, I mean;
  • Poor but hilarious voice acting
  • Questionably designed but at least serviceable combat (It has killmoves from Skyrim and you can pull out a pistol to shoot a thing in the face any time you want)
  • Cliches from sun up until "Oh look it's an eclipse here come the undead" sundown
  • Decent quests, but barely an explanation of what you're supposed to do with them
  • Confusing and occasionally arbitrary systems

If you've played Risen 1, or the Gothic games, or if you can imagine STALKER as a third person RPG instead of an FPS, you're pretty much familiar with what's on the table. It's certainly more playable and looks nicer than any RPG Piranha has made before, but it's still super janky, super old school and really questionable.

I'm not one of the "Never ever buy things that aren't 90% off!" people, in fact I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to supporting devs, but really really don't buy this for $60 unless you somehow have a carnal need for what I just described. Even then, it was on sale for half-off before it even launched, just have some patience and look around.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Palpek posted:

The new Tex Murphy game - Tesla Effect is one of weeklong deals. Is it worth picking up? It looks pretty sweet if cheesy (in a good way).

That cigarette has a face.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man, I can't wait for the Square Enix press release on how the new Tomb Raider wasn't successful and that they are canceling future games in the series because of this dumb exclusivity deal. Or we'll just see a Turbo Edition on PC and PS4 half a year later.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

Man, I can't wait for the Square Enix press release on how the new Tomb Raider wasn't successful and that they are canceling future games in the series because of this dumb exclusivity deal. Or we'll just see a Turbo Edition on PC and PS4 half a year later.

There's already a sequel for next year and the second thing has already happened. :ssh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Orv posted:

They are products of a bygone era without question.

True but honestly they were fairly non-standard even when they came out, especially Gothic's nightmare controls. Playing the first game after all these years was a horrible experience even for some like me who played them to death when they came out. After playing 99% of third-person titles with gamepad going back to keyboard in addition to the atrocious control scheme is almost literally painful.

Probably didn't help that Arcania happened which kind of hammered the point home that after Gothic 3 nope, they can't make them anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

True but honestly they were fairly non-standard even when they came out, especially Gothic's nightmare controls. Playing the first game after all these years was a horrible experience even for some like me who played them to death when they came out. After playing 99% of third-person titles with gamepad going back to keyboard in addition to the atrocious control scheme is almost literally painful.

Probably didn't help that Arcania happened which kind of hammered the point after Gothic 3 that nope, they can't make them anymore.

To be fair, ArcaniA wasn't developed by PB at all, but I think the curtain had already fallen on Gothic after 3 was so, so bad.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the Japanese side of Playism is taking pre-orders for the new Touhou game. Huh. While this doesn't mean an official localisation is immanent, it does make me think that someone received a big bag of money.

In any case, that does mean there's little excuse for :filez: in this case, especially considering that it'll probably get a fan translation into EFIGS within 24 hours of launch.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Delusibeta posted:

So, the Japanese side of Playism is taking pre-orders for the new Touhou game. Huh. While this doesn't mean an official localisation is immanent, it does make me think that someone received a big bag of money.

In any case, that does mean there's little excuse for :filez: in this case, especially considering that it'll probably get a fan translation into EFIGS within 24 hours of launch.

This is definitely a big move for Japanese indie gaming in general. Where Touhou goes, everything else follows. The Playism JP site is really easily navigated too (it's identical to the english site, and Google Translate works fine on it) and I believe they take Paypal, so it makes buying stuff really easy.

Edit: Also, yeah, Touhou games tend to get fan-translation patches almost immediately. So the game is as good as released in English already.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 13, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There's one question about Risen 3 I have to know:

Can you walk the wrong way in the beginning and be killed by horrible and terrible monsters? Nothing beats Gothic 2 where, 10 steps to the right of the main gates to the central town you run into a pack of black goblins that just goose-stomp your rear end. That is if you got past the fire-breathing lizard or the Shadowbeast.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Ularg posted:

They probably don't want to eat the kind of losses they had with the new Tomb Raider at launch again. This way they can get a big fat paycheck from Microsoft, eliminate any kind of doubt from shareholders with the giant paycheck and re-release it later on other systems.

It's the developers who really suffer from this kind of poo poo, I can guarantee nobody at Crystal Dynamics is getting that sweet Microsoft cash.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dominic White posted:

Yep, I'm waiting until late August when Redux comes out so I can play 2033 Redux followed by Last Light (non Redux since it doesn't really gain much)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

iuvian posted:

They probably don't want to eat the kind of losses they had with the new Tomb Raider at launch again. This way they can get a big fat paycheck from Microsoft, eliminate any kind of doubt from shareholders with the giant paycheck and re-release it later on other systems.

It's the developers who really suffer from this kind of poo poo, I can guarantee nobody at Crystal Dynamics is getting that sweet Microsoft cash.

They're probably also getting all the harassment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

There's one question about Risen 3 I have to know:

Can you walk the wrong way in the beginning and be killed by horrible and terrible monsters? Nothing beats Gothic 2 where, 10 steps to the right of the main gates to the central town you run into a pack of black goblins that just goose-stomp your rear end. That is if you got past the fire-breathing lizard or the Shadowbeast.

Not from the exact beginning, given that there is a surprisingly unharsh tutorial island, but once you get off that, yes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Not from the exact beginning, given that there is a surprisingly unharsh tutorial island, but once you get off that, yes.

Thanks alot, casuals! :argh:

That's good to hear. I'll most likely pick the game up tomorrow and use the 20% code at greenmangaming. I just hope it doesn't teeter out like Risen 1 did. Boy did the last 2/3 of that game stink. Just funneling you through all those underground, lizardmen-infested dungeons.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To wit, PCGamers review of Risen 3. 83.

In other news, what even the gently caress?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Risen game actually looks like it owns.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Game sucks. No Big Jeffrey.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The only possible way that could work out is if permadeath was enabled for your park owner and if you visited someone else's park you had to ride at least one of their coasters.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Say what you will about Velvet Assassin, but I really enjoyed that game when I played it on Xbox 360.

It's 74 CENTS on Steam right now. I swear I wouldn't recommend a game that has no redeeming values, but Velvet Assassin is fun and I highly suggest that you at least [i]consider buying it for yourself.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/16720/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anything from PCGamer is almost certainly bullshit.

quote:

But I didn't want to stop playing. Fifteen hours in, I faced my toughest challenge yet in the form of giant spider-thing that spouts giant insects from what looks like Galactus's large intestine. At last she falls.

"What is this worm doing in in my cave," she asks.

"Kicking your rear end," our hero says. I actually clapped.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Oddly enough, Frontier (developers of RCT3, as well of lots of really bad games) also announced a roller coaster game today at Gamescom, though it's Xbox-exclusive.

Both that and RCTW are assured to be absolutely terrible - RCTW is being done by these dudes. There will never be a good, new RCT game as long as Atari continues to exist and hold the license :smith:

Co-op is a surprising and slightly encouraging announcement, though. Wonder if the devs got the idea from OpenTTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

abraham linksys posted:

Oddly enough, Frontier (developers of RCT3, as well of lots of really bad games) also announced a roller coaster game today at Gamescom, though it's Xbox-exclusive.

Both that and RCTW are assured to be absolutely terrible - RCTW is being done by these dudes. There will never be a good, new RCT game as long as Atari continues to exist and hold the license :smith:

Co-op is a surprising and slightly encouraging announcement, though. Wonder if the devs got the idea from OpenTTD.
You talking poo poo about Godzilla: Save the Earth? Because I may have to fight you. :colbert:

• Locked thread