Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I was hoping Phone would get banned last week but then he made Gary laugh by sending him an onion article :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

T1g4h posted:

So apparently, the Sheriff's Department a few counties over just bought a loving full fledged APC :stare:

That really seems a teensy, tiny bit excessive for a loving rural Arkansas sheriff's department.

VVV I keep swearing i'm moving to New Zealand one day.

Weapons of war have no place on our streets.

my truck doesn't count, it has been in one stage or another of "lawn ornament" for four years :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's probably a military surplus or something but WTF

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kastein posted:

Weapons of war have no place on our streets.

my truck doesn't count, it has been in one stage or another of "lawn ornament" for four years :v:

See, I'm cool with your truck because I see that as basically just a really huge pickup. Plus I've always loved those and i'm incredibly biased :v:

I just can't see the justification for "We needed an armored, mineproof APC." I mean if this were Detroit, okay, fair enough. But rural Arkansas? Our crackheads are packing pistols, shotguns, and hunting rifles at best. I'm giving this a pass only if they drive it through at least one house.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

What is the "hypermiling" terminology for using lovely customer service to your advantage?

I got ripped off for $4 by someone on Amazon Marketplace.
I contacted support, and was given a $5 credit, gratis, just because I do so much business with them (if they only knew).
Tonight, I logged in, and was greeted with a new 'A-to-Z claim' form to fill out.
They credited me the $4 I was ripped off by an instant gift card.
I bought a $5 item (Prime), and chose "No Rush Shipping" for a $1 VOD/MP3 credit. (I also got a $2 refund for them dropping a CD $2 since my order on Saturday.)

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So one of the news stories about WIlliam's death says it's being investigated. Can we assume that the family will sue the make of the belt or plastic bag he used to kill himself? Will the CEO of GLAD be charged as an accessory?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So one of the news stories about WIlliam's death says it's being investigated. Can we assume that the family will sue the make of the belt or plastic bag he used to kill himself? Will the CEO of GLAD be charged as an accessory?

More importantly, where was tony stewart at the time of death.

Could it be his second victim?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Standard procedure in a high profile death.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Asphyxiation - so it could be car, rope or plastic bag I'd think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Backov posted:

God drat it, I need all those things. What are going to do when they become illegal after a lawsuit?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

God drat it, I need all those things. What are going to do when they become illegal after a lawsuit?

You could always start taking the medication that you've already been prescribed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

bandman posted:

I don't have PMs, but that's what I keep telling myself. That the kids can tell we're miserable and hate each other, and it is making them unhappy. My worry with that situation is that it will steel my wife's resolve to continue to be the most bitter, unhappy person in existence, and she will try to turn the kids against me somehow. Because she is so mean and vindictive when it comes to me that she absolutely would pull some bullshit like that.

I'm not even worried about legal fees, as my family dislikes her enough that they've offered to pay for my lawyer.

Sorry this is a couple pages late, but it's an important topic to me as well, in my case I was really lucky in that my ex has no desire to deny my daughter access to me. So what this means is that I have her 3 days per week, every week. It's as close to 50/50 as she would go. More time with the kids means less child support too. The older she gets the more we enjoy hanging out together so I don't even mind that I've basically given up weekend social life for her. She's 12 now and it's only a few more years before she won't want to spend any time with me at all, so I'm soaking it up. No regrets. And the divorce meant more time for my own hobbies, on the days I don't have her. Divorce was definitely the right choice for me.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
As a child of divorced parents, yes, we can tell. Luckily my parents split amicably. I wish you the best should you take that road.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Backov posted:

I just hope he didn't pull a David Carradine.

Work talk: my boss is being replaced by the team lead from first shift soon. Problem is, we got some issues; and deep ones at that. I covered someone's shift on first a while back as a favor. By the end of the day, I was using quite a few four letter words at her in a pretty heated debate over her trying to pull some dumb and stupid poo poo. Plus she's about as smart as a rock.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'm getting tired of steroids. Not only do I leak (more) fluids from holes that shouldn't exist BECAUSE GOD WOULD FROWN, but I can't sleep for gently caress for days.

I'm as bruised as a housewife in Wisconsin when the beer (and football) is not available. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Viggen posted:

> The apparent cause of death was suicide by asphyxiation.

Bullshit. If Mork wanted to kill himself, he still has to have a half dozen lockers full of the drugs he didn't finish off in the 70s and 80s.

And he would have tipped off some random poster in ING's forum (posted 2 hours before the 911 call). :stare:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/are-people-bracing-themselves-for-the-fact-that-robin-williams-will-die-soon.454158743/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Like Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams was at his very best when blasted out of his mind on coke. Unlike Eddie Murphy, he was still funny off the drugs.

On a lighter note, someone dropped this in the Early FPS Megathread in Games, for all you Home Improvement/Tim Allen/Doom fans: http://puu.sh/azvIJ/e023809623.ogg

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

On a lighter note, someone dropped this in the Early FPS Megathread in Games, for all you Home Improvement/Tim Allen/Doom fans: http://puu.sh/azvIJ/e023809623.ogg

:stare:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

Evidently not playing in god mode.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

And he would have tipped off some random poster in ING's forum (posted 2 hours before the 911 call). :stare:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/are-people-bracing-themselves-for-the-fact-that-robin-williams-will-die-soon.454158743/

I posted Don LaFontaine's death ahead of time here in AI :twisted:

(He was already in the hospital)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Backov posted:

I keep waiting for the words auto and erotic to pop up somewhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

btdt. Its not as much fun as people make it out to be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So working on replacing the ball joints on my Miata I realized I'm old because I couldn't see the loving cotter pins that were right in front of my face, broke one off in the bolt and spent an hour trying to get a busted cotter pin out that I couldn't see. Getting old is loving awesome! Guess it's time for an eye exam :smith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cursedshitbox posted:

btdt. Its not as much fun as people make it out to be.

Thats why you rig the choker to a series of overly complicated pulleys to a spring loàded device that trips if you allow too much slack in the line and it blasts like two hundred live angry hornets directly into your rear end in a top hat.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why do you think that's call Anal Terrorism? He's really btdt.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry this is a couple pages late, but it's an important topic to me as well, in my case I was really lucky in that my ex has no desire to deny my daughter access to me. So what this means is that I have her 3 days per week, every week. It's as close to 50/50 as she would go. More time with the kids means less child support too. The older she gets the more we enjoy hanging out together so I don't even mind that I've basically given up weekend social life for her. She's 12 now and it's only a few more years before she won't want to spend any time with me at all, so I'm soaking it up. No regrets. And the divorce meant more time for my own hobbies, on the days I don't have her. Divorce was definitely the right choice for me.

My daughter moved in with me 2 1/2 years ago now, before that my ex would happily take any and every opportunity she could to bugger up my access, usually not on purpose admittedly. In the long run your children are better off if they don't see you and their mother tearing each other up all day long, and if their mothers a bitter poo poo of a person they'll eventually work that out.

bandman posted:

I don't have PMs, but that's what I keep telling myself. That the kids can tell we're miserable and hate each other, and it is making them unhappy. My worry with that situation is that it will steel my wife's resolve to continue to be the most bitter, unhappy person in existence, and she will try to turn the kids against me somehow. Because she is so mean and vindictive when it comes to me that she absolutely would pull some bullshit like that.

I'm not even worried about legal fees, as my family dislikes her enough that they've offered to pay for my lawyer.

The thing about the courts being biased toward the mother in custody cases often isn't strictly true either, apparently in cases where the father has a real go at getting custody they tend to get it. It's unfortunately common for blokes to go "well the courts are biased" or "They don't want to live with me" or whatever, even when they really shouldn't live with the mother for whatever reason (crazy, works eighteen hour days, tries to turn the kids against dad etc) because they don't expect to win.

The worst thing you can do for your kids is continue to let your wife make you feel like poo poo at the moment. After the divorce the worst thing you can do is to try and turn them against their mother instead of enjoying whatever time you can get with them, If she tries it don't play her game or fight back with the same poo poo, just take the kids to the park instead, and then inform your lawyer once the kids are somewhere else.

bend fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

So apparently this weekend I'm supposed to help my wife's grandpa put the steering column back in his 52 Chevy sedan delivery since "It'll take no time with your magic box." no time = easy fix in craigslist talk. Magic box = any internet connected device. There will be a few challenges to overcome. First is the fact that he took it out 4-7 years ago, he can't remember when, to do some front end work. Second is all the bolts are in a Folgers coffee can so I get to play detective as to which bolt goes where. Third is everything is in a barn so no doubt the elements have taken their toll since it's in a bay that doesn't have a door on the front or back of it with a leaky roof. Fourth is, he typically doesn't remember anything past a month ago so depending on him for any info is going to be impossible. Fifth is he has the innate ability to scatter everything everywhere so who knows if all the parts are there. before I had a chance to say "Wellll..." My wife chimed in with, "Sure! We don't have anything going on this weekend!" gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

My wife chimed in with, "Sure! We don't have anything going on this weekend!" gently caress.
Guess who's doing the actual fitting while you take a supervisor/educational role?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I really wish I never worked with a lift before, because now all I think about when I work on my cars is I wish I had a lift :(

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Got volunteered to work this Saturday as the attendant for a confined space entry to clean a bunch of poo poo from the air handling manifold for all the laboratory vent hoods in one of the engineering buildings here on campus. Gotta be there at 6:45 AM, but at least I don't have to drop the kids off at school beforehand.

Edit: vvv :golfclap:

bandman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 12, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
idk i find a good bm in the morning starts things out on an even keel

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

I really wish I never worked with a lift before, because now all I think about when I work on my cars is I wish I had a lift :(

The first time I didn't work with a lift was a month or so ago at a friends house, it suuuuuuuuuucked so I know how you're feeling. :(

rscott posted:

idk i find a good bm in the morning starts things out on an even keel

The best advice I've ever received was always take a pre-game dump. Now I just incorporate it into my morning routine and everything's fine.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 12, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Three men stay at a hotel room that costs $30. They each pay with a single $10 bill at the register. When the manager hears of this, he decides that in good faith he cant charge them that much for the room and sends the bellboy up with $5 as a refund. The men realise they cant split five evenly so they each take back a dollar and tip the bellboy two out of thanks. This brings their cost for the room down to $9 each, and the bellboy is $2 richer.

Where did the extra dollar go?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

The best advice I've ever received was always take a pre-game dump. Now I just incorporate it into my morning routine and everything's fine.
But a ten minute visit every day at work adds up to more than a week's paid holiday! Everyone knows that!

13 INCH DICK posted:

What extra dollar?

Edit: At least it's not as bad as the "heads and tails" one that everyone fucks up the wording of and then thinks they're smart when people actually answer what they wrote, not what they think their clever question is.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Three men stay at a hotel room that costs $30. They each pay with a single $10 bill at the register. When the manager hears of this, he decides that in good faith he cant charge them that much for the room and sends the bellboy up with $5 as a refund. The men realise they cant split five evenly so they each take back a dollar and tip the bellboy two out of thanks. This brings their cost for the room down to $9 each, and the bellboy is $2 richer.

I had to look this up to see if this "riddle" really was as obvious as you've written it. I remember it being worded in a slightly more confusing manner. I'm going to use this as a litmus test on people in the future.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I had to look this up to see if this "riddle" really was as obvious as you've written it. I remember it being worded in a slightly more confusing manner. I'm going to use this as a litmus test on people in the future.

Eh, its exactly how it was presented to us at work and got pretty much everyone, so I posted it in the hopes that someone would explain it. I understand the gist of it is (3x9)+2 since 3 guys essentially paid 9 after getting one back and then the two to the bellboy making people at firstglance assume 29 accounted for dollars out of the initial 30, but I have a feeling its more like 25 being split three ways because theres math involved. In my defense years and years of rampant chemical abuse has left my mental math fuzzy at best.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Eh, its exactly how it was presented to us at work and got pretty much everyone, so I posted it in the hopes that someone would explain it. I understand the gist of it is (3x9)+2 since 3 guys essentially paid 9 after getting one back and then the two to the bellboy making people at firstglance assume 29 accounted for dollars out of the initial 30, but I have a feeling its more like 25 being split three ways because theres math involved. In my defense years and years of rampant chemical abuse has left my mental math fuzzy at best.
Ok, they had $30, they gave it to the hotel.

The hotel gave $5 back. They are now only out of pocket $25.

Of this $5, they gave away $2. They are back to being $27 out of pocket.

The question is trying to trick people into the assumption that they spend $27 plus the $2, which is only $29. Missing $1!

In reality, they spent $32 and received $5.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's just 3x9, since the 2 was from money that the boss gave away, not money that came from the three guests. It would be the same math if the boss gave the bellboy 10 dollars, they each kept 3 and gave the bellboy 1... 3x7, they paid $21 for the room and the bellboy only got a buck...

Is there some trick here that I'm missing, or is it not really a riddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What kind of lovely hotel were they staying in?

• Locked thread