Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

inSTAALed posted:

That is a really powerful effect. Easily slots into any deck and "draws" an extra card every turn in a roundabout way. Solid stats, too.

I think it is interesting especially considering decks that use him as a hero cannot use any Gandolf ally cards, which are a staple in many decks. So I feel like they need to power him up to compensate for that. Very solid hero.

Is he the only hero? It looks like it is coming soon, so it might already be at GenCon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I think it is interesting especially considering decks that use him as a hero cannot use any Gandolf ally cards, which are a staple in many decks. So I feel like they need to power him up to compensate for that. Very solid hero.

Is he the only hero? It looks like it is coming soon, so it might already be at GenCon.

The article said there are 2 new heroes, the other is a different fellowship Frodo.

I really want this to be released soon, but it looks like it is in "At the Printer" status.

Anyway. Last night my buddy and I (he just got the core set) played online via webcams (we're dorks that prefer the cards) and had a blast. I was playing whatever random dwarf deck I had setup and we did the Journey Along the Anduin. Ended up being a long, hard fought, fun victory. I got screeeeeewed multiple times so that the dwarf ridiculous snowballing never really happened. Probably made for a way better experience though :P

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Rusty Kettle posted:

Looks like Gandalf's Staff is supposed to replace the Gandalf Ally cards by letting you choose an effect each turn, but a much less powerful version. Drawing an extra card each turn or accelerating resource-gain is certainly nothing to ignore, though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

The rules are on the AEG website.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

If people really want to know what it's about, I'll do a four-sided LP of the classic game (using some of the new rules for shootouts) in the same manner as my Shadowfist LP. I have eight bicycle decks together already, so I can either pick the four that most closely match the new factions (Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Sweetrock and Whateleys) or pick decks that show off everything bar Cheating (Black Jacks, Texas Rangers, Collegium and Sioux Nation).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jedit posted:

If people really want to know what it's about, I'll do a four-sided LP of the classic game (using some of the new rules for shootouts) in the same manner as my Shadowfist LP. I have eight bicycle decks together already, so I can either pick the four that most closely match the new factions (Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Sweetrock and Whateleys) or pick decks that show off everything bar Cheating (Black Jacks, Texas Rangers, Collegium and Sioux Nation).

Count me in as interested.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

inSTAALed posted:

Looks like Gandalf's Staff is supposed to replace the Gandalf Ally cards by letting you choose an effect each turn, but a much less powerful version. Drawing an extra card each turn or accelerating resource-gain is certainly nothing to ignore, though.

Might be neat to put Gandalf's Staff on the Gandalf Ally from Over Hill and Under Hill. So much utility for only 2 threat per turn!

Flame of Anor looks really awesome, too. Why yes, I would like to defend with Saruman and then attack with him for 7-10.

Also, damnit FFG, stop making me want to pick up more LOTR stuff. I'm already stretched too thin between Netrunner, Star Wars, and WH40k:Conquest.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This is becoming a serious problem. I'm barely buying anything not made by FFG as far as board games go anymore.

I feel like the next step is just to set up an EFT direct to FFG and cut out the middleman. :ohdear:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Carteret posted:

This is becoming a serious problem. I'm barely buying anything not made by FFG as far as board games go anymore.

I feel like the next step is just to set up an EFT direct to FFG and cut out the middleman. :ohdear:

Between X-Wing, the Star Wars RPG systems, and the LotR LCG I'm giving FFG so much of my money.

RE: Gandalf hero, there's a dude on the FFG forums who keeps hinting at even more attachments for Gandalf in that box. Possibly something related to Shadowfax based on his responses to other people.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So how would you set up the hero's if you were going to make three decks of the Fellowship? The most "thematic" setup, in my mind, would be Frodo/Sam/Gandalf, Merry/Pippin/Boromir, Aragon/Gimli/Legolas, though I don't know how the decks would work out.

Epi Lepi posted:

RE: Gandalf hero, there's a dude on the FFG forums who keeps hinting at even more attachments for Gandalf in that box. Possibly something related to Shadowfax based on his responses to other people.

Man, knowing this, I wonder how a "Solo Gandalf" deck would work, just using secrecy, all these attachments, and his ability.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

Count me in as interested.

I am interested as well.

Anyway to try some of these games out online before I buy?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

So how would you set up the hero's if you were going to make three decks of the Fellowship? The most "thematic" setup, in my mind, would be Frodo/Sam/Gandalf, Merry/Pippin/Boromir, Aragon/Gimli/Legolas, though I don't know how the decks would work out.

Man, knowing this, I wonder how a "Solo Gandalf" deck would work, just using secrecy, all these attachments, and his ability.

If you're playing through the Saga you won't be able to use Frodo, as he'll be the ringbearer. Thematically, you might argue for the above splits, but in cases where the fellowship is all together I wouldn't worry about theme for how they are divided, probably more about utility.
For Theme: For Black Riders, you use Sam/Merry/Pippin with Frodo as the ringbearer for the first quest, then in Bree you can throw in Aragorn for one of the hobbits (or do a 4 hero deck or 2x2 hero decks) and then keep them until Rivendell. Add Fatty to the first quest if you're going the book route rather than the movie route, and Glorfindel after Weathertop.

Aside: The game seems to sit in between the books and the movies, as it draws on from the imagery of the movies but with the full set of characters. For example, the race to the ferry in the Black Riders is a movie thing, but Bill Ferny in Bree is a book thing.

Then you get to use everyone! Till after you get out of Moria. Discard Gandalf. Then you get to Amon Hen, and after that you discard Boromir and go to single decks for a while. Sam/Frodo and maybe Gollum as a hero on oneside of the Anduin, Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli in Rohan, and Merry/Pippin and hopefully Treebeard in Fangorn. Gandalf would be back, but he wouldn't do anything you would be doing in the game till the Battle of Pelennor fields. Which would let you have Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, Merry/Eowyn/Theoden, Pippin/Denethor/Gandalf. Add in Prince Imrahil if you like too. Continue on to the Black Gate. Meanwhile Sam/Frodo get to have Faramir for Osgiliath, then it's back to having Gollum or no one.

As for Allies, you'd be very thin on them for the most part till much later. Maybe a named character every once in a while. Bill the Pony [till Moria starts], Farmer Maggot [Shire], Barliman Butterbur [Bree], Arwen [Race to Rivendell]. That's it for the Fellowship. Two Towers you can have the Rohirrrim with Aragorn and co., maybe get some Ents for Fangorn if there's a quest there. Faramir with Sam and Frodo if he's not a hero. Then you get Undead allies, Rohirrim, Gondor characters till the end.
If you go themtically with attachments and events (due to the names or theme of an event card) you'll have a very tough time.

Playing thematically is tough, but doable. A good challenge. I did manage to do the Hobbit using only Thorin and his company for Heores/Allies, and added in humans and elves to help with the Battle of five armies. I will probably play the LOTR saga the same way, and I have done the first quest of the Black riders using Sam/Merry/Pippin. I haven't figured out what to do for Bree with adding Aragorn - I did do with adding Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas so I had two full decks. But I will have to do it with one deck at some point.

Now for Utility:
Merry and Pippin work best with all hobbits, so you might want to have them with Sam or Fatty. Fatty at least let's you have a Hobbit deck with the Hobbit pipes. I would probably do a Hobbit centric deck with Merry/Pippin/Fatty if I can get that to work.
An Aragorn/Sam/Boromir (DeadMarshes) would be a readying deck if I want to go that route, leaving Gandalf/Legolas/Gimli. Not sure if I want to go that route, however, and maybe Sam/Boromir/Gandalf and Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli.
These are with the core Aragorn. Using the lore Aragorn wouldn't change too much for me as far as how the heroes split. But there's likely to be more heroes than just Gandalf, so we might get some other versions of the fellowship to use and then I can rethink.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
From all the lotr talk I'm guessing that lotr is a pretty good game? I am intruiged by the idea of a cooperative card game and would love to try it out with some friends.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

From all the lotr talk I'm guessing that lotr is a pretty good game? I am intruiged by the idea of a cooperative card game and would love to try it out with some friends.

LOTR is probably my favorite LCG, even moreso than Netrunner. Granted, its purely because I prefer playing with friends to playing against them, but LOTR is a very well designed game. I've previously run a PbP game of the first scenario (Passage Through Mirkwood), and had planned on doing a PbP of Khazad-Dum last december but that fell through before I got it off the ground due to work. I would like to try running it on the forums again soon, I should have some free time coming up next month.

Jedit posted:

I would really love to see this. I'm still really on the fence about Doomtown, even after watching some reviews and going through the rulebook. I also worry because introducing Netrunner to friends was a struggle against the steep learning curve, and with Doomtown appearing even steeper I may as well just buy a very heavy paperweight.*

*LOTR also gets extra points from me for being actually fun playing solitaire

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

LOTR is probably my favorite LCG, even moreso than Netrunner. Granted, its purely because I prefer playing with friends to playing against them, but LOTR is a very well designed game. I've previously run a PbP game of the first scenario (Passage Through Mirkwood), and had planned on doing a PbP of Khazad-Dum last december but that fell through before I got it off the ground due to work. I would like to try running it on the forums again soon, I should have some free time coming up next month.

I would really love to see this. I'm still really on the fence about Doomtown, even after watching some reviews and going through the rulebook. I also worry because introducing Netrunner to friends was a struggle against the steep learning curve, and with Doomtown appearing even steeper I may as well just buy a very heavy paperweight.*

*LOTR also gets extra points from me for being actually fun playing solitaire

A PbP LotR game sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Definitely throw a post in here if you do end up doing another one.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I've been really upset that we haven't had the rest of Warhammer spoiled yet.

And then I remembered GenCon wasn't this weekend.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It isn't? gently caress, I want to buy a warhemmer 40k card game already because I'm a huge nerd.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Best estimates (based on FFGs "on the boat" date) put release in the third week of September.

I want it now, but it's at least going to be in a separate pay check than Doomtown.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'll let you guys know how it is LIVE from the floor of GENCON YEEEEAAAAH

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Kaddish posted:

I'll let you guys know how it is LIVE from the floor of GENCON YEEEEAAAAH

Nice!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So whatcha guys think. I have Core, Mirkwood Cycle, Khazad-Dum, Dwarrowdelf Cycle, Black Riders, and both Hobbits. I recently started to play with two different people so I've been blitzing through quests and playing a ton in general. This satisfy's my requirement for buying MORE. :homebrew:
Should I get Heirs of Numenor and keep going 'in order' or just hop over to the new cycle with Voice of Isengard?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ChiTownEddie posted:

So whatcha guys think. I have Core, Mirkwood Cycle, Khazad-Dum, Dwarrowdelf Cycle, Black Riders, and both Hobbits. I recently started to play with two different people so I've been blitzing through quests and playing a ton in general. This satisfy's my requirement for buying MORE. :homebrew:
Should I get Heirs of Numenor and keep going 'in order' or just hop over to the new cycle with Voice of Isengard?

I would say keep on going in order. You are breezing through them pretty fast anyway, so you can just pick up the rest when you have completed that cycle. If you are this far into it, you'll likely end up to date eventually anyway, so there is no harm in waiting a little bit longer.

That being said, the latest adventure pack has a pretty cool quest that I like a lot.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would say keep on going in order. You are breezing through them pretty fast anyway, so you can just pick up the rest when you have completed that cycle. If you are this far into it, you'll likely end up to date eventually anyway, so there is no harm in waiting a little bit longer.

That being said, the latest adventure pack has a pretty cool quest that I like a lot.

This is what my wife and I are doing, and "unlocking" new cards for deck building after beating a scenario in a cycle. It's been a lot of fun, and it's been cool to watch my wife take on deckbuilding games for the first time, finding combos, etc.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'd look at the cards and see what you want more. Heirs of Numenor has lots of cool Gondor stuff, while the Against the Shadows Cycle has a mix of stuff (Outlands craziness, Trap shenanigans, Mono-sphere support, and Miscellaneous cards for Gondor, Hobbits, Dwarves and Rohan). Voice of Isengard has great Rohan stuff, as well as powerful player cards with the Doomed X Keyword (Saruman!). So far, the Ring-Maker Cycle has lots of Sylvan cards (Celeborn!) and some fleshing out for Secrecy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm asking this here since more people here probably use OCTGN rather than the Boardgames thread. Has anyone played that game they are pushing in OCTGN chat, The Spoils. Here is the URL for the game: The Spoils.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I'm asking this here since more people here probably use OCTGN rather than the Boardgames thread. Has anyone played that game they are pushing in OCTGN chat, The Spoils. Here is the URL for the game: The Spoils.

The Spoils is an old CCG, surprised they're pushing it. I took one of the big money tourneys in it a long time ago but only because it was sealed and I had an absolutely _stupid_ sealed pool.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Someone I know bought the new New Player Basic Box or whatever its called recently to board game night. It's a fun game, though combat can be kiiiiiind of headache due to the whole Speed thing.

Might pick up the basic box since it comes with 5 decks + 5 foil resources(which look real nice: way better than the default) + 5 random foils.

EDIT: We were looking at getting more but we have no idea whether its worth getting older sets or if they're rebooting the entire thing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
For all the LotR LCG fans the new pack is coming out the 21st and full spoilers for it are up on cardgamedb. New Haldir hero!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
With all the neat stuff coming out, my interest in LOTR has been rekindled. I've built a Hobbit deck that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm less pleased with this Rohan deck I made to (optionally) partner with it. I'd rather go with a Spirit/Tactics deck, but I don't have Voice of Isengard's cool Rohan cards. Anyone have thoughts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm going to try to start in on the Doomtown LP at or before the weekend. Can people let me know if there's anything particular they're curious about and which set of decks they'd prefer (most like DTR or "all bells and whistles").

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'm going to try to start in on the Doomtown LP at or before the weekend. Can people let me know if there's anything particular they're curious about and which set of decks they'd prefer (most like DTR or "all bells and whistles").

I dont' have much preference, probably because everything I know about the game is from the website. So anything that showcases the game is fine by me. Appreciate you doing it.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Taran_Wanderer posted:

With all the neat stuff coming out, my interest in LOTR has been rekindled. I've built a Hobbit deck that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm less pleased with this Rohan deck I made to (optionally) partner with it. I'd rather go with a Spirit/Tactics deck, but I don't have Voice of Isengard's cool Rohan cards. Anyone have thoughts?

I would use Warden of Healing instead of Daughter of the Nimrodel. It's a cheaper ally, plus better stats, and more versatile. Also, Landroval and Farmer Maggot are way too expensive for this deck. I would assume you would put Steward on Pippin so you have the resources for Gildor, Haldir, Fast Hitches, etc. I would add some Vassals of the Windlord for some cheap allies, or Squires of the Citadel.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I honestly think Dunhere doesn't work without some Spears of the Mark and Quick Strike. If you have Hama, sub him in for one of your other heroes so you can get multiple uses of Quick Strike. I use it all the time now to take out dudes in the staging area during the questing phase.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Full Conquest spoilers

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/wh40kconquest/conquest.html/_/core/

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Almost all the cards are "Quantity: 1", looks like you will have to go 2 Cores just to deck build much at all. Three for compeative likely. With the command groups and the few 2 drops there will be so many extra cards with three cores.

Too big a starting investment for me, I will likely skip this one.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

LordNat posted:

Almost all the cards are "Quantity: 1", looks like you will have to go 2 Cores just to deck build much at all. Three for compeative likely. With the command groups and the few 2 drops there will be so many extra cards with three cores.

Too big a starting investment for me, I will likely skip this one.

That's a shame. When Star Wars only needed two for a play set I was hoping FFG would continue that trend, since requiring three with a lot of wasted cards is always a point of contention.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm a sperg with a day off, so I went through the card lists and compared it to the favorite example, Netrunner:

Netrunner Core:
252 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 182.
1x and 2x you buy the core for: 70.

Conquest Core:
274 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 93.
1x and 2x you buy the core for*: 181.

*Not counting the token cards, which seem useful to have, but don't have a listed quantity on cardgameDB. Included in the "redundant" cards from conquest are the planet cards, signature squads, and warlords.

For what you are paying for, and without anyone besides FFG having any hands-on experience as to which cards are "worth it," the second core set is actually a lot of value.

Edit: The third conquest box gets you 120 "useful" cards. Netrunner? 11.

FFG got me to buy a 3rd Netrunner box :smithicide:

Carteret fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 12, 2014

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

I'm a sperg with a day off, so I went through the card lists and compared it to the favorite example, Netrunner:

Netrunner Core:
252 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 182.
1x and 2x you buy the core for: 70.

Conquest Core:
274 cards.
"redundant cards" in a second core: 93.
1x and 2x you buy the core for*: 181.

*Not counting the token cards, which seem useful to have, but don't have a listed quantity on cardgameDB. Included in the "redundant" cards from conquest are the planet cards, signature squads, and warlords.

For what you are paying for, and without anyone besides FFG having any hands-on experience as to which cards are "worth it," the second core set is actually a lot of value.

Edit: The third conquest box gets you 120 "useful" cards. Netrunner? 11.

FFG got me to buy a 3rd Netrunner box :smithicide:

See I never bought a 3rd Netrunner Core and have never found the need too. The few 1 drops you can work around without hurting your self too much and now they are all being reprinted as Promos so the point is mute.

Conquest almost requires 3 boxes with how many 1 drops there are in there.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

LordNat posted:

See I never bought a 3rd Netrunner Core and have never found the need too. The few 1 drops you can work around without hurting your self too much and now they are all being reprinted as Promos so the point is mute.

Conquest almost requires 3 boxes with how many 1 drops there are in there.

I hear you. I just feel it's a little premature to say the 3rd is required until people actually get hands on the product. 50 card decks only have so many slots :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

I hear you. I just feel it's a little premature to say the 3rd is required until people actually get hands on the product. 50 card decks only have so many slots :shobon:

Especially when eight cards are eaten up right off the bat.

There's a lot of 1-ofs in the box but at the same time it's a box with seven factions, each with specific cards that you can only use in the quantity provided. It's lovely but there's a reason for ti.