Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Hey, it's me again. Last time I was in here was about haunted house season, and I've got another pickle related to the same thing. We're doing a freak show this year, and we have a male midget who I want to do up as a parasitic twin by building him a false, dead upper torso with him coming out of the stomach. I've got some idea of what I want to do for it, but I'm not positive it will work.

My thoughts on the issue were to create a sort of wire mesh for the torso and do the rest mostly with clothes sewn on and just stuffed with lightweight fluff of some sort. But I have concerns about how well that'll hold up and, more importantly, of how comfortable it may be for the actor wearing it. Does anybody have any good ideas of how to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Hey, it's me again. Last time I was in here was about haunted house season, and I've got another pickle related to the same thing. We're doing a freak show this year, and we have a male midget who I want to do up as a parasitic twin by building him a false, dead upper torso with him coming out of the stomach. I've got some idea of what I want to do for it, but I'm not positive it will work.

My thoughts on the issue were to create a sort of wire mesh for the torso and do the rest mostly with clothes sewn on and just stuffed with lightweight fluff of some sort. But I have concerns about how well that'll hold up and, more importantly, of how comfortable it may be for the actor wearing it. Does anybody have any good ideas of how to do this?

I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I know there's a costume-making thread somewhere. Ask in the PYF Cosplay thread and someone will be able to send you in the right direction.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045 this is the costume cos play thread on SA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was clearing out some old files on my computer and found an MP3 of a song clip (about 23 seconds) I can't identify. I have no idea where it came from, but I must have saved it thinking I could figure it out later. I don't have a smartphone, so I can't use something like Shazam. What are my options?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Load it to one of the Streaming sites (maybe even youtube), and then post in here or in the "Identify this song for me" thread for help?

(I assume there is an identify this song thread. There must be because there are "identify this book", "identify this movie", etc threads, or at least there were.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

pupdive posted:

Load it to one of the Streaming sites (maybe even youtube), and then post in here or in the "Identify this song for me" thread for help?

(I assume there is an identify this song thread. There must be because there are "identify this book", "identify this movie", etc threads, or at least there were.

I completely forgot about that. It took me a minute to remember Tindeck.

Thanks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking for the name of a specific plant. It's a non-flowering plant with purple leaves and stem. The ones I saw on display in a botanical garden were about 6 - 8 in tall. The name contains either Persia or Prussia, but I just can't remember the full name. Any suggestions welcome. TIA

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

CzarChasm posted:

I'm looking for the name of a specific plant. It's a non-flowering plant with purple leaves and stem. The ones I saw on display in a botanical garden were about 6 - 8 in tall. The name contains either Persia or Prussia, but I just can't remember the full name. Any suggestions welcome. TIA

Persian Shield?

Alternatively, persian purple basil?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was clearing out some old files on my computer and found an MP3 of a song clip (about 23 seconds) I can't identify. I have no idea where it came from, but I must have saved it thinking I could figure it out later. I don't have a smartphone, so I can't use something like Shazam. What are my options?
http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue is really, really good about figuring that stuff out. Upload it to tindeck and make a thread.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If you upload to youtube, youtube sometimes tries to match it against copyright. Good way to identify things.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Two websites:

Huffington Post, and Cracked often spin my computer up, and load incredibly slowly. (Chrome, OS X, Flashblock installed.) This does not change whether I have AdBlock on or off.

Any ideas?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nighthand posted:

Persian Shield?

Alternatively, persian purple basil?

That's it exactly, thank you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

pupdive posted:

Two websites:

Huffington Post, and Cracked often spin my computer up, and load incredibly slowly. (Chrome, OS X, Flashblock installed.) This does not change whether I have AdBlock on or off.

Any ideas?

lots of interstitial ads

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Can anyone point me to a list of forums thats are publicly viewable and what are not?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
FYAD and all the Community sub-forums. Sometimes the whole forum is under a paywall to drum up registrations. You can check by logging out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I bought a couple of old-timey power insulator cap thingies yesterday:

(Or maybe some old-timey classy buttplugs? :wotwot: :goatsecx:)

Is there an easy website to determine more about these? Like value, rarity, that sort of thing?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 11, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DrBouvenstein posted:

I bought a couple of old-timey power insulator cap thingies yesterday:

(Or maybe some old-timey classy buttplugs? :wotwot: :goatsecx:)

Is there an easy website to determine more about these? Like value, rarity, that sort of thing?

Put on some sunglasses and check out this site.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Squishy posted:

FYAD and all the Community sub-forums. Sometimes the whole forum is under a paywall to drum up registrations. You can check by logging out.

It's even easier to check in private browsing mode (ctrl+shift+n in chrome, ctrl+shift+p in firefox).

Or replace forums.somethingawful.com with http://216.86.148.111/ in the URL and try it in the same browser.

Paywall is currently up for the entire forums, it seems.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I have an Aftershock Xbox 360 controller. It's a pretty good controller, except that the sticks are little too sensitive.

Does anyone know of a fix that could get the sensitivity equal to a real 360 controller?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I have a domain that has an email address that forwards to my Gmail. When I try to add the email as a "Send from" address in Gmail, it keeps prompting me to enter SMTP information, which I don't have because it's just a forwarded email. My google-fu showed me that there's supposed to be a "Send through Gmail" option when adding a "Send from" alias email, but I can't find it anywhere. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bvoid posted:

I have a domain that has an email address that forwards to my Gmail. When I try to add the email as a "Send from" address in Gmail, it keeps prompting me to enter SMTP information, which I don't have because it's just a forwarded email. My google-fu showed me that there's supposed to be a "Send through Gmail" option when adding a "Send from" alias email, but I can't find it anywhere. What the heck am I doing wrong?
I swear that this used to work without needing the SMTP info, but this support page suggests that that's changed. :iiam:

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I swear that this used to work without needing the SMTP info, but this support page suggests that that's changed. :iiam:

Yeah it won't let me past the SMTP information without entering anything. I know the "Send from Gmail" would just send a confirmation email, which in my case would just forward back to my Gmail and everything would be dandy. But it's gone for some reason.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Put on some sunglasses and check out this site.

That's only mildly helpful. There doesn't seem to be any way to search for the one I have, and most of their descriptions have no pictures.

But just doing other searches here and there, I'm reasonably sure mine aren't worth much, which is fine, I only paid a few bucks each for them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm helping a buddy clean out a bunch of stuff from his parents' place. Some of it is antiques, and I don't want to accidentally throw out some million-dollar piece. Is there a thread I can post pictures in and get this poo poo antiques-road-show'd?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanatosian posted:

I'm helping a buddy clean out a bunch of stuff from his parents' place. Some of it is antiques, and I don't want to accidentally throw out some million-dollar piece. Is there a thread I can post pictures in and get this poo poo antiques-road-show'd?

reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

bvoid posted:

The other email address... wherever it's hosted.. will have an SMTP server. EG if its hotmail it will probably be something like smtp.hotmail.com

Google implemented this as a security measure to stop relaying.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the general market share of each SIM card type (1FF, 2FF/mini, 3FF/micro, 4FF/nano)?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baquerd posted:

What is the general market share of each SIM card type (1FF, 2FF/mini, 3FF/micro, 4FF/nano)?

Full credit card size SIMs are obsolete outside of satellite phones and large but mobile-network-connected equipment, mini SIM cards are being phased out but there's still probably a few billion phones out there with them, micro SIMs are of course popular with recent smartphones but probably aren't in more than a billion phones yet, and nano SIMs are infrequently used as of yet (probably fewer than 100 million phones).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the difference between a truth that is boolean and one that is binary? How does this relate to the programming languages that share these names?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the difference between a truth that is boolean and one that is binary? How does this relate to the programming languages that share these names?

Boolean logic includes not just the true and false values, but the operators that work on them eg with an AND operator you need both of a set of values to be true to have the overall thing be true. Binary "truth" just involves a single thing being "true" or "false" but not a whole system, so binary systems usually integrate boolean operations so that they can do things of complexity.

And in both cases, "truth" is just a handy phrase to use for one half of each two-possible-state attribute.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is it a well know thing that when buying computer monitors they always come with a cord "one level lower" than the best they can use? For example I just bought a HDMI monitor, but it only came with a DVI cord, and I can remember the same thing happening several times years ago with DVI monitors and VGA cords.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 13, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenoborg posted:

Is it a well know thing that when buying computer monitors they always come with a cord "one level lower" than the best they can use? For example I just bought a HDMI monitor, but it only came with a DVI cord, and I can remember the same thing happening several times years ago with DVI monitors and AGP cords.

DVI would actually be the best you can use for that monitor, it's signal-identical to HDMI for the video.

Also I think you mean VGA cords for the last sentences, as AGP is a card slot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fishmech what do you do for a living?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Oops yeah VGA, its been a while. And Ive got to use HDMI in this case since what I'm hooking up has VGA and HDMI, but not DVI slots for some reason.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is it's Hamas' fault that children keep getting hit with Israeli missiles?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

Fishmech what do you do for a living?

Photography.

Xenoborg posted:

Oops yeah VGA, its been a while. And Ive got to use HDMI in this case since what I'm hooking up has VGA and HDMI, but not DVI slots for some reason.

That's a special case then, usually video cards these days come with DVI and HDMI.

Monitors usually come with the most common connector the manufacturer expects the customers to have which the monitor supports - in the past that was usually VGA, now it's mostly DVI.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Turtlicious posted:

Why is it's Hamas' fault that children keep getting hit with Israeli missiles?

Generally speaking, this is what happens:

1) Hamas puts weapons in a place such as a school or hospital.
2) Israel finds out where the weapons are at
3) Israel notifies those in the building that it will be bombed in 10-30 minutes -- enough time to evacuate people, but not enough time to move a significant amount of the weapons
4) People are not evacuated for propaganda purposes (Hamas: "Israel just killed 20 innocent people with their missile!")
5) Missile is sent, as Israel said it would be -- blowing up the weapons and any innocents who were not evacuated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/hamas-human-shields/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 13, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do I need to talk to HR about my pay check? My second pay check at my job didn't take out anything for Federal or State withholding. The first pay check is the same, but my first pay check at my other job was like that as well. I filled out all the information the same for at both jobs for state and federal with withholdings.

Both my first checks at my two jobs were under $150 gross. $110 and $145 respectively. The second paychecks were $517 with SS, Federal and State taxes(No Medicare) withheld and $301 with only Medicare and SS withheld.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Do I need to talk to HR about my pay check? My second pay check at my job didn't take out anything for Federal or State withholding. The first pay check is the same, but my first pay check at my other job was like that as well. I filled out all the information the same for at both jobs for state and federal with withholdings.

Both my first checks at my two jobs were under $150 gross. $110 and $145 respectively. The second paychecks were $517 with SS, Federal and State taxes(No Medicare) withheld and $301 with only Medicare and SS withheld.

You probably didn't hit the threshold for federal or state income taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Generally speaking, this is what happens:

1) Hamas puts weapons in a place such as a school or hospital.
2) Israel finds out where the weapons are at
3) Israel notifies those in the building that it will be bombed in 10-30 minutes -- enough time to evacuate people, but not enough time to move a significant amount of the weapons
4) People are not evacuated for propaganda purposes (Hamas: "Israel just killed 20 innocent people with their missile!")
5) Missile is sent, as Israel said it would be -- blowing up the weapons and any innocents who were not evacuated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/hamas-human-shields/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield

By most accounts Hamas and Palestinian agitators are really bad with weapons. Have there been any significant fatalities from Hamas terror weapons?

I just remember three Israeli girls being kidnapped and murdered last month(?) and then figured all hell was loose.