Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you serious? They got rid of Troy Baker's Valvatorez? That's inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you serious? They got rid of Troy Baker's Valvatorez? That's inexcusable.
Edit: It's the same VA

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you guys sure? They seem to be reusing the exact same audio clips for this scene at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXT3ZiSa3R4&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhspS9VddQ&t=697s

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you guys sure? They seem to be reusing the exact same audio clips for this scene at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXT3ZiSa3R4&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhspS9VddQ&t=697s

I just compared myself and yeah it's the exact same voice work. It's just something with the vita's speakers that make it sound a tiny bit odd.

Edit: Okay here's the strangeness. He has 2 lines clearly spoken by another VA during battles MIXED IN with his old lines. Like they sound noticeably different.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Is anyone having a problem with D4V where the Euro character is showing up where blank spaces should be? I've got the physical version so I'm thinking my cart's just defective.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

You can honestly skip Disgaea 3 if you want. It's not a bad game but the story's pretty eh and Disgaea 4's better.
Really I'm just trying to decide if I should skip DD2. The post game in DD2 looks pretty bad though even with the cheat shop mechanics. I just saw the 250 reincarnation requirements in the post game sticky over at GFaqs and kind of whimpered.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Erg posted:

Is anyone having a problem with D4V where the Euro character is showing up where blank spaces should be? I've got the physical version so I'm thinking my cart's just defective.

I have the digital us version and I'm definitely not seeing that.

Also, quite glad I actually prefer playing with the Japanese voices. Constantly switching VA would drive me insane.

As for which to play first: Disgaea is played for the technology, not the story, so always choose the most modern one to play. Vita D4 in this case.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Erg posted:

There's a patch that fixes it. Make sure you download it!

Edit: Skip DD2, they tried to make Defense more viable in the game and ended up ruining the balance of the game pretty badly.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Can you no longer combine Special attacks in D4 like you could in D3? Is there something you can do to unlock it?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a patch that fixes it. Make sure you download it!

Edit: Skip DD2, they tried to make Defense more viable in the game and ended up ruining the balance of the game pretty badly.

Haha, of course :downs: Thanks for the help.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Skip DD2, they tried to make Defense more viable in the game and ended up ruining the balance of the game pretty badly.

They need to go in the opposite direction like SMT4 did, really.

SMT4's direction posted:

1) There are no damage mitigation stats.
2) Protective gear changes resistances, reserve stats (HP/MP) and occasionally attributes. Like agility and luck. Therefore:
3) Stop getting hit.

You'd think that last one would be an even bigger deal in a tactics :v: game.

There's even a level 75 optional dude in a 20s area that you can drop first-time to illustrate this.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Phantom games basically go that way. We're never getting a third one of those are we :smith:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 13, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Second time I am trying to save, and it seems the 'Save Data' screen doesn't react to touch or any input. Vita's not locked up, I can task in and out just fine. Is there any way short of relaunching the game I can get it to behave?

I am not going to loving want to play this game if going to save is where the risk of crashes are. Sometimes you have those miracle runs in Item World and it would be really infuriating if after the end of a good run you lose it to software fuckup.

edit: I just tricked it out of the funk. I did the long-press on the PS button which brought up the quick settings Vita menu. Funny thing was, I couldn't touch the X to close out, but I could press the PS button again to drop out of the menu, and from there it'd let me poke at my save options properly.
Not entirely cool, but livable.

5er fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 13, 2014

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

HGH posted:

VAs are expensive. Especially union.
It does seem really odd to redub him though. His voice was pretty perfect.

I know that VAs are expensive, that's why I would understand this kind of thing in a new scenario.
But about half of his battle clips are redubs! Why!? His in-battle voice had enough clips, they didn't need to add more.
There was no reason to redub his mid-battle banter, none! They should have just used the old clips, that's what I was expecting.

to add insult to injury, it's not even close to the original. Waaaaaaaaaaay off.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's a ultra embarrassing thing I need to ask but in Disgaea 4 how do you reorganize your characters? I recruited Rutile and Stella and kinda want them over the two junk prinnies.

It's locked on the menu until you clear enough story stages for some reason, it unlocks after like, the third or fourth stage. Or it unlocks some other way and I didn't see it. Kinda silly to hide it.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

He has 2 lines clearly spoken by another VA during battles MIXED IN with his old lines. Like they sound noticeably different.

Those battle quotes are what I'm talking about. It's confusing and disorienting. Why did they mix in a new VA? they didn't need it!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

Those battle quotes are what I'm talking about. It's confusing and disorienting. Why did they mix in a new VA? they didn't need it!
They want you to play in japanese.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Mithaldu posted:

I prefer playing in Japanese anyway, so that works for me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mithaldu posted:

Tried that. The voices just seem less... emphatic? Maybe it's the language barrier but Axel is somehow less overwhelmingly annoying. This is not acceptable to the Disgaea experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Really I'm just trying to decide if I should skip DD2. The post game in DD2 looks pretty bad though even with the cheat shop mechanics. I just saw the 250 reincarnation requirements in the post game sticky over at GFaqs and kind of whimpered.

Disgaea D2 is pretty drat fun because they fixed the terrible defense mechanics from Disgaea 3/4 and actually took the time to polish up a lot of the gameplay mechanics instead of just adding new ways to make your numbers go up higher. I don't know too much about the postgame because of the stupid Fire freeze glitch (that's since been patched) but if you're gonna sperg hard enough to build up reincarnation points then Disgaea 4 is probably gonna be way worse even with the fixes.

I might just be weird though, because the appeal of Disgaea/NIS games' postgame has never been making my numbers go up for the sake of higher numbers, it's for the progression of power, and Disgaea 3/4 killed that pretty hard since you're doing good damage no matter what with skill boosting and can always be one-shot by cannon fodder trash no matter how your numbers go up because of skill boosting. Which kind of kills the actual feeling of getting stronger.

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

I know that VAs are expensive, that's why I would understand this kind of thing in a new scenario.
But about half of his battle clips are redubs! Why!? His in-battle voice had enough clips, they didn't need to add more.
There was no reason to redub his mid-battle banter, none! They should have just used the old clips, that's what I was expecting.

to add insult to injury, it's not even close to the original. Waaaaaaaaaaay off.

I assume the Vita version has new clips for everyone, and that omitting Val's English lines would cause problems what with dual audio.

Mithaldu posted:

But there's no option to play with English Val/Fenrich and Japanese everyone else, so how could they possibly want that?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

5er posted:

Tried that. The voices just seem less... emphatic?
They play it more straight, less overacting. That's a weird bit in the Disgaea series: Much of the humor you see in the english dialogues? It doesn't exist in the japanese original.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mithaldu posted:

They play it more straight, less overacting. That's a weird bit in the Disgaea series: Much of the humor you see in the english dialogues? It doesn't exist in the japanese original.

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. Does the Japanese version just use a different kind of humor?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Momomo posted:

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. Does the Japanese version just use a different kind of humor?
Japanese as a whole has different humor than the western world. They have puns that work entirely differently, since they're based on different readings of words that you can only know if you know kanji. They also have a wide variety of accents that are inherently funny to japanese, but make no sense to anyone else anywhere since the osaka accent simply isn't a thing people know outside of japan. And lastly there's the whole matter of western speakers being extremely explicit in what they say, while japanese as a language works massively by way of contextual implication.

But outside of that, Disgaea simply isn't as funny in japanese as it is in english. (There are other examples of this phenomenon, there's for example a french movie series with a guy called Louis de Funès. It's mediocre in french, but the german dub is extremely funny since they rewrote most of it.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Any tips about how best to use/equip Stella and Rutile in D4V? Are they decent main party members? I just noticed that my D3 save gave me access, but how well/poorly I do at figuring this sort of thing out on my own is exactly why I sometimes ask myself if I deserve to play these games.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Actually you only need the 250 reincarnations if you are going up against Baal. Other than that DD2's post-games' biggest flaw is that there really isn't a whole lot to do. Honestly D4's post-game is a lot more tedious you still need the 250 reincarnations, and they didn't really improve on the Chara-worlds flaws, the whole destructible environments in Chara-world is really tedious and the amount of aptitude points that you can get are still capped at 8 plus whatever the floor ten boss is worth. Also unlike with DD2 in D4 you have to first level to at least level 80 then, do 6 character world runs, then level all the way up to level 9999, then reincarnate, where as with DD2 you just have complete maps with the characters that you want to perfect in the weapon assembly room, in addition all classes get the +# aptitude when the reincarnate, 5 for story characters and 1 for generic capping out at 25. Also DD2 got rid of the whole numbers rarity thing and allowed you to turn any equipment into a legendary equipment so you didn't have to constantly search for weapons with a rarity of 0 in order to get the rarity bonus they just all had to be matching rarity so all rare or all legendary, and with being able to make any equipment legendary equipment it was really easy to do. They also made it a lot easier to perfect equipment as well since you didn't need to constantly be on the look out for level spheres, and could continuously re-enter an item to level it up to the max level. There were other improvements but honestly DD2's post-game was a lot more enjoyable and easier to complete than any other Disgaea post-game, especially D4's without the Rosenqueen glitch.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dis posted:

Any tips about how best to use/equip Stella and Rutile in D4V? Are they decent main party members? I just noticed that my D3 save gave me access, but how well/poorly I do at figuring this sort of thing out on my own is exactly why I sometimes ask myself if I deserve to play these games.

Rutile is awesome. Stella who cares but yeah I benched Fenrich for her almost instantly.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rutile is awesome. Stella who cares but yeah I benched Fenrich for her almost instantly.

What weapon types would you recommend?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dis posted:

What weapon types would you recommend?

Fist. All the stuff she does she does best with fist.

To make a fist fighter strong though keep in mind speed is taken into account. If the fighter is slow they won't be doing as much as they can.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fist. All the stuff she does she does best with fist.

To make a fist fighter strong though keep in mind speed is taken into account. If the fighter is slow they won't be doing as much as they can.

Much appreciated. I'll see what I can make of that. Only time will tell whether or not I survive to report back.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

They japanese voices for Disgaea have always been kinda poo poo.
The voices never seem to fit the characters.
I've always felt that the English cast far outperforms the Japanese in every game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

They japanese voices for Disgaea have always been kinda poo poo.
The voices never seem to fit the characters.
I've always felt that the English cast far outperforms the Japanese in every game

Agreeing with that here. They're all ultra generic and just lame.

Also the japanese script is largely similar to what we got- just with some liberties taken. Dark Souls youtube bigshot EpicNameBro did a bit of Disgaea D2 and he translated what he got through- and it was all the same pretty much.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013

megamariox posted:

Actually you only need the 250 reincarnations if you are going up against Baal. Other than that DD2's post-games' biggest flaw is that there really isn't a whole lot to do. Honestly D4's post-game is a lot more tedious you still need the 250 reincarnations, and they didn't really improve on the Chara-worlds flaws, the whole destructible environments in Chara-world is really tedious and the amount of aptitude points that you can get are still capped at 8 plus whatever the floor ten boss is worth. Also unlike with DD2 in D4 you have to first level to at least level 80 then, do 6 character world runs, then level all the way up to level 9999, then reincarnate, where as with DD2 you just have complete maps with the characters that you want to perfect in the weapon assembly room, in addition all classes get the +# aptitude when the reincarnate, 5 for story characters and 1 for generic capping out at 25. Also DD2 got rid of the whole numbers rarity thing and allowed you to turn any equipment into a legendary equipment so you didn't have to constantly search for weapons with a rarity of 0 in order to get the rarity bonus they just all had to be matching rarity so all rare or all legendary, and with being able to make any equipment legendary equipment it was really easy to do. They also made it a lot easier to perfect equipment as well since you didn't need to constantly be on the look out for level spheres, and could continuously re-enter an item to level it up to the max level. There were other improvements but honestly DD2's post-game was a lot more enjoyable and easier to complete than any other Disgaea post-game, especially D4's without the Rosenqueen glitch.

TLDR; Disgaea D2 is too easy, big lazy-butts looks no further :parrot:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I assume the Vita version has new clips for everyone, and that omitting Val's English lines would cause problems what with dual audio.
I can try to verify that. What's the English for the new lines, and what do they trigger from?

e: I'm sitting on my hands waiting for my English copy to arrive and desperate for anything Disgaea to do. :saddowns:

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 13, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I wouldn't recommend skipping D2, there are a ton of nice little changes they made to make it more user friendly. Stuff like you can throw diagonally without timing it & you can promote generic classes to the next tier instead of reincarnating them.

I don't tend to play the post game much in Disgaea though so I can't vouch for that being as good as the rest of the series.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently the promotion thing made it into D4 Vita, haven't gotten that far yet.

I can safely skip the tutorials if I played D3 Vita right? I'm assuming not that much has changed.

Also for the class skills for generics... they were in D3 Vita, then out of D4, and now back in D4 Vita? Is there a list of those or something

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think most of the quality of life type changes were implemented in Disgaea 4 Return, but D2 is still worth playing because it's fundamentally much more solid as a game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I'll echo D2's postgame feeling really empty, if it weren't for that it'd be pretty solid overall. I have no idea what happened to DEF, didn't notice that while playing, but otherwise I just think they need to add some interesting complexity on top of D2's solid base and they might have a really good game. I'm never buying a Vita though, so at best I might see if D4V succeeds at that when the PSTV rolls around.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also for the class skills for generics... they were in D3 Vita, then out of D4, and now back in D4 Vita? Is there a list of those or something
Off the top of my head:

Male Fighters get a melee attack that breaks a random piece of equipment, which is not very good. They also get a buff that gives +100% to the target's ATK for 3 turns, which is. Lady Fighters get a ranged attack that never misses and a shortish-range attack that I think increases their Movement range by 1 for the rest of the battle if it kills something, or something weird like that.

Clerics get a melee attack that scales with RES and a buff that doubles the target's RES for 3 turns. Mages only get one worth mentioning, which is a buff that regenerates some of the target's SP over 3 turns. Skulls get a ranged skill that steals some of the target's SP, and a +100% INT buff.

Thieves get Create Box and Create Barrel, the same as they always did, plus a new one that always opens any chest, no matter how many HP it has. Archers get five different kinds of super-long-range status-effect-inflicting arrows. Samurai get a melee attack that always leaves the target with at least 1 HP, and a melee attack that permanently gets stronger if it kills something.

That's all the classes worth caring about in the main campaign. :v: If there's no good source of information on the rest, I can do those too, but I'd have to look most of them up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ah those seem to be the same as the D3 skills in that case, no need to write them all out. Should be more or less these:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/639534-/62861260

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, that looks right. Most of them don't have fixed scaling stats, though; except for Overload and the ones for Archers and Gunners, they all adapt to whatever weapon you have equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Disgaea 2 is not my favourite overall but it has the best item world music. Wish I could buy it in D2 or number 4 :(

• Locked thread