Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Cartoon posted:

So bitter wages disputes with the USU and the USU links to the RT&S have nothing to do with it? I find that hard to believe.

Remember, you're talking about a government that already tried changing an entire state electoral law to get Clover Moore out of the mayoral chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i may not be a fancy rooters and shooters legal theorist but I'm not sure how it can possibly be legal to give corporate entities the vote.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Remember, you're talking about a government that already tried changing an entire state electoral law to get Clover Moore out of the mayoral chains.

Why the hell would they want Clover Moore out of her position? What did she do?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatbastardken posted:

i may not be a fancy rooters and shooters legal theorist but I'm not sure how it can possibly be legal to give corporate entities the vote.
If you read the article you'll discover they already have the right but have to register before each election. This just makes their enrollment automatic, like it already is in Melbourne. The legality of it was first tested ages ago and our courts accept that corporations are people although it makes not a single jot of sense.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://catallaxyfiles.com/2014/08/12/a-note-to-my-colleagues-on-the-right/comment-page-1/#comments

catallaxyfiles turns on tony abbott

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Les Affaires posted:

They want a Liberal or Liberal-leaning Lord Mayor.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
About that wage breakout:

quote:

Bernard Keane ‏@BernardKeane 5m

So wages rose 2.6% in 2013-14, while CPI rose 3%. In the period Mar 13-Mar 14, company profits rose 10.9%. But let's slash penalty rates!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Les Affaires posted:

She's a popular independent and a progressive who's successfully pushed anti-corruption/ICAC and gay rights legislation; Fred Nile hates her and the Liberals can't win elections against her, so all the little right-wing parties have to contrive new ways to squeeze her out.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can't state governments do whatever the gently caress they want with local governments and the way in which they're elected(as long as it doesn't breach other laws) because local governments have no authority or status other than that given to them by the relevant state acts?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

She won't approve dodgy development. Given that the purpose of government in NSW seems to be "give developers what they want" you can see there's a conflict.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Perhaps, but artifically declaring geographical and cultural integration may have similar effects.

This is not borne out in Europe's experience of large scale Muslim immigration. Rather than blend and adapt through cultural exchange and understanding, countries like France, the Netherlands and Denmark have all seen the rapid growth of far right parties while the suspicions between the newcomers and the local working class have led to the weakening of the welfare state and social democracy.

Yes that's the theory and it's appealing but it certainly is vague - i'm not sure what global culture is.

I will ask though: what exactly is it that we are to gain through an understanding of Islam and a large presence of it's adherents?

Maybe you ought to take a second to consider that for every 50 Western-born Moslems who grow up to become radical, there are 5000 who grow up to become atheists (whether they declare that publicly or not) but who then remain silent on the matter. For every 5 Western Moslems who were barracking for ISIS to genocide the Yazidis, there are were 5,000000 who were hoping the Yazidis survived. All Moslems in the West face systemic and overt prejudice, but their Western experience dilutes the amount of belief in god in their community, and that can only be a good thing, because emigrant culture does eventually, in some ways, affect the culture of their place of origin.

And for gently caress's sake, stop treating Islamic cultures as though they were monolithic. Not even Arabic cultures are monolithic.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Can't state governments do whatever the gently caress they want with local governments and the way in which they're elected(as long as it doesn't breach other laws) because local governments have no authority or status other than that given to them by the relevant state acts?

They can do what they want with who they represent and how, indeed under the NSW Constitution they can be appointed. However if they tried to amend the law to turf out Clover it would be basically a giant neon sign, forty meters tall, over the head of whichever Premier saying "I AM A FUCKSTAIN ONLY CONCERNED WITH DEVELOPERS MONEY AND GETTING MORE OF IT!"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

Universal Suffrage.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bomb-Bunny posted:

They can do what they want with who they represent and how, indeed under the NSW Constitution they can be appointed. However if they tried to amend the law to turf out Clover it would be basically a giant neon sign, forty meters tall, over the head of whichever Premier saying "I AM A FUCKSTAIN ONLY CONCERNED WITH DEVELOPERS MONEY AND GETTING MORE OF IT!"

None of them have seemed to mind this so far, not sure why it would change now.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

iajanus posted:

None of them have seemed to mind this so far, not sure why it would change now.

Nothing really. Only that appointed civic authorities means extra liability for the state parliament, and broader council areas risks giving local councils too much influence. Making them too small does to, since they build coalitions and power networks, Victoria has a sweet-spot for this about now where they're mostly receptacles of hate and corruption.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
One of the things is in a state where you have a primate city(the biggest city is disproportionately larger than any of the others in the region), the state government becomes in many ways a quasi-city council. Melbourne and Victoria certainly function like this in many aspects.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

One of the things is in a state where you have a primate city(the biggest city is disproportionately larger than any of the others in the region), the state government becomes in many ways a quasi-city council. Melbourne and Victoria certainly function like this in many aspects.

And you only have to look at ICAC currently to see how NSW isn't really like that (Newcastle politics is driving a bunch of it, more than State-level stuff).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 13, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

QLD is pretty much the same, but that could largely be because Newman is still in his Lord Mayor/local council frame of mind and used to doing things as he did before (which explains why he's going balls up).

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Former police minister Mike Gallacher has been implicated in a scheme to take illegal donations from Nathan Tinkler's property development group Buildev, after a corruption inquiry heard allegations he was "orchestrating" the payments.

Hugh Thomson, who ran the Liberal Party's successful election campaign for disgraced former Newcastle MP Tim Owen, told the Independent Commission Against Corruption on Wednesday that Mr Gallacher had a "very strong relationship with [Mr Tinkler's] Buildev".

He also claimed that NSW MP Craig Baumann, the Liberal member for Port Stephens, "facilitated" a payment by Buildev to help cover the wages of Mr Owen's campaign team member Josh Hodges.

Mr Thomson said there was "no uncertainty in my mind that Mr Gallacher was aware of the details" of a plan for the company to make secret payments to Mr Owen's campaign.

:munch:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

if you're the kind of person to whom such critical thinking comes naturally when presented with the rhetoric of a Christian, why on earth would you take something like 'Islam is a religion of peace' at face value?

This inconsistency from progressives between their critical vigilance of Christianity and a studied silence (if not apologia) toward Islam is untenable, and the Pavlovian resort to the peace platitude is it's most glaring absurdity.

For once in his life, IWC is 100% right about something.

http://johannhari.com/2011/02/25/can-we-talk-about-muslim-homophobia-now/

quote:

The most detailed opinion survey of British Muslims was carried out by Gallup, who correctly predicted the result of the last general election. In their extensive polling, they found literally no British Muslims who would say homosexuality is “morally acceptable.” Every one of the Muslims they polled objected to it. Even more worryingly, younger Muslims had more stridently anti-gay views than older Muslims. These attitudes have consequences – and they are worst of all for gay Muslims, who have to live a sham half-life of lies, or be shunned by their families.

No, Muslims are not the only homophobes among us. But the gap between them and the rest is startling. It’s zero percent of British Muslims vs. 58 percent of other Brits who say we are “acceptable.”

Yes, it is “Muslim culture” today to be bigoted against gay people. It was British culture to be anti-gay thirty years ago. Cultures change. They change all the time. They are not sacred and fixed. They are constantly in motion. But they only change if we admit there is a problem publicly and openly and search for solutions. We should not “respect” the bigotry of Muslims, any more than we would respect the bigotry of Christians or Jews or the Ku Klux Klan. The only consistent and reasonable position is to oppose bigotry against Muslims, and oppose bigotry by Muslims.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 13, 2014

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
im late but re: islam iwc is actually kind of correct-ish

it's wrong to say that islam is a religion of war, but it's probably equally wrong to say that islam is a religion of peace. The only unconiditonally peaceful major religion would have to be new testament christianity (definitely not old testament)

The problem with Islam is that there is no central authority, as there is with Christianity - it's no longer possible for someone to have uncontested authority. Instead, everyone is able to choose whatever religious leader or teachings or school of thought that they want.

Combine this with the content of holy texts: the quran was built up over the course of twenty years, and contains elements from a period where Mohammed was a crazy spiritual leader wandering around in the desert, and also when he was the ruler of a city - it therefore deals with both spiritual and worldly, practical matters in a way that new testament christianity does not, and as Mohammed's thoughts evolved, new content can directly contradict older content

The other major body of muslim thought is the sura - sayings of Mohammed that were attributed to him in the decades following his death, written down by his confidantes, and again often very contradictory and little better than hearsay.

The two big contentions are jihad. Initially literally meant struggle against the enemy, but later defined in islamic jurisprudence to be both lesser [external] and greater [internal]. But you're allowed to pick which jurisprudence you listen to -again, there's no central auhtoirty

Dar al harb and dar as salaam may not be "koranic" concepts, but are definitely an established element of islamic jurisprudence again, and can be taken as 'gospel truths' by people who's views they align with.

I guess what i'm getting at is that Islam, and the Koran, both condones and refutes violence in different places, and in the absence of a central authority it's up to the individual to pick- and choose- what elements they emphasise and which they downplay. Obivously this is very much determined by indivudla and social factors such as wealth, cultural context, upbringing, encounters with diversity. But if someone is predisposed to certain anti-humanist views, the fuel for the fire is very much present in the Koran and in subsequent Islamic teachings. There is no blanket injunction against violence akin to Christianity's "turn the other cheek" or "love your enemies". Islam is in this way much closer to Judaism, and i think it's wrong to call it the religion of peace.

plumpy hole lever fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 13, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

Also Bike lanes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Soag posted:

I guess what i'm getting at is that Islam, and the Koran, both condones and refutes violence in different places, and in the lack of a central authority it's up to the individual to pick- and choose- what elements they emphasise and which they downplay.

This is in no way unique to Islam. If there was a central authority and it was preventing a group of Muslims from doing something they wanted to do they'd split and start a new church based on a different interpretation.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Soag posted:

The only unconiditonally peaceful major religion would have to be new testament christianity (definitely not old testament)

Bullshit. Aside from the fact that Jesus specifically says that the Old Testament still applies, and aside from the history of Christianity, Jesus himself says that he comes to bring a sword.

Soag posted:

Christianity's "turn the other cheek" or "love your enemies".[/b] Islam is in this way much closer to Judaism, and i think it's wrong to call it the religion of peace.

The only problem here is that what was meant was to turn the other cheek only to other Jews who offend you, as does love your enemies - it definitely didn't apply to non-Jewish individuals. Jesus literally calls non-Jewish people dogs who deserve only scraps from the tables of the Jews.

I'd say this is probably less damning of Moslems and more damning of England. The Moslems I know from Australia don't really have any problems with gay people. Don't ignore the intersectionality at play here either - for the longest time, African Americans weren't too pleasant towards gays compared to their white counterparts either.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 13, 2014

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

open24hours posted:

This is in no way unique to Islam. If there was a central authority and it was preventing a group of Muslims from doing something they wanted to do they'd split and start a new church based on a different interpretation.

yeah but the koran emphasises an individual's relationship with god and IIRC specifically denies a hierarchical religion?

anyway the caliphate was kind of like the papacy but ataturk got rid of that, which allows (in fact necessitates) that anyone who speaks about religion to claim moral authority when doing so

like, there is literally no analogue to the church of england, Orthodox patriarchs, papacy, dalai lama etc, which becomes vry problematic when there is such a wide range of interpretation possible

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Bullshit. Aside from the fact that Jesus specifically says that the Old Testament still applies, and aside from the history of Christianity, Jesus himself says that he comes to bring a sword.

The only problem here is that what was meant was to turn the other cheek only to other Jews who offend you, as does love your enemies - it definitely didn't apply to non-Jewish individuals. Jesus literally calls non-Jewish people dogs who deserve only scraps from the tables of the Jews.

if you can provide a scripture reference i will believe you and admit that i am wrong

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
say what you want about christianity but at least the new testament is easy to interpret

the koran intially says get drunk and drink lots of wine and have fun

then mohammed changed his mind and said drink a little bit of wine but not too much

then he changed it again and said dont drink any wine

and all three of these sayings are in the koran

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

"...Jesus specifically says that the Old Testament still applies..." Matthew 5:18

"...Jesus himself says that he comes to bring a sword." Matthew 10:34

"...Jesus literally calls non-Jewish people dogs who deserve only scraps from the tables of the Jews." Matthew 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Soag posted:

yeah but the koran emphasises an individual's relationship with god and IIRC specifically denies a hierarchical religion?

anyway the caliphate was kind of like the papacy but ataturk got rid of that, which allows (in fact necessitates) that anyone who speaks about religion to claim moral authority when doing so

like, there is literally no analogue to the church of england, Orthodox patriarchs, papacy, dalai lama etc, which becomes vry problematic when there is such a wide range of interpretation possible

There are plenty of autonomous Christian religions though. The whole non-denominational movement works pretty much the same way.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Soag posted:

say what you want about christianity but at least the new testament is easy to interpret

the koran intially says get drunk and drink lots of wine and have fun

then mohammed changed his mind and said drink a little bit of wine but not too much

then he changed it again and said dont drink any wine

and all three of these sayings are in the koran

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I'd say this is probably less damning of Moslems and more damning of England. The Moslems I know from Australia don't really have any problems with gay people. Don't ignore the intersectionality at play here either - for the longest time, African Americans weren't too pleasant towards gays compared to their white counterparts either.

I checked in with England, and, nope, this is much more damning of British Muslims.

quote:

No, Muslims are not the only homophobes among us. But the gap between them and the rest is startling. It’s zero percent of British Muslims vs. 58 percent of other Brits who say we are “acceptable.”

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

I checked in with England, and, nope, this is much more damning of British Muslims.

But, like I said: why is this not the case here? Why is it not he case even in America? There's more going on here than just "Moslems hate teh gays"

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

yeah, I believe that post, it definitely properly reflects the attitude you've showed when previously addressing problems with the Libs and Nats, definitely, sure

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

lol

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Wow, so many racist, imperialist reactionaries in this thread, not like the embassy of old. At the end of the day, you don't have any right to say how people in other countries should live, and you support the racist, misogynist scum in our military more than a rag-tag bunch of people in another country fighting for their freedom against the slavery we would impose upon them. People who, because they share a name with a previous regime, must hold the exact same values (despite not having any real connection to that regime other than a shared name) because those brown savages.

edit: Azmet: not trolling. As an Arab-Australian who is culturally completely Australian I live my life in this lovely country every day being taunted by white Australians, screamed at and belittled, sometimes with attempts made to harm me, seeing discrimination crop up in some form or another in every workplace I've ever been in. I recently stopped being an organ donor in case a white Australian lives because of my donation. Death to whites who would withhold sovereignty from the true owners of this land, but especially death to reactionary whites who make this place unbearable for me to live in, and are forcing me to emigrate as soon as I have the money saved.
pictured above, an example of brown blitzkrieg asking nuanced, thoughtful and compassionate questions about people he disagrees with, just as he is really 100% sure he'd do in the hypothetical I just posed

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
ok BB i admit i was wrong and know less about christianity than i thought i did

although it's a bit spurious to say that jesus calls unbelievers dogs, when he says that "dont feed dogs the children's bread from the table" in reference to healing a sick lady who he later heals anyway

and "i come with a sword, to set father against son" is maybe a bit different to ""Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. . . . [I]f they attack you put them to the sword. Thus shall the unbelievers be rewarded: but if they desist, God is forgiving and merciful. Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme. But if they desist, fight none except the evil-doers""

anyway my mistake was comparisons to christianity, but i think there are institutional, historical, and scriptural factors in islam that mean there is the possibility of very violent intepretations of it, and therefore it's not a "religion of peace"

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

pictured above, an example of brown blitzkrieg asking nuanced, thoughtful and compassionate questions about people he disagrees with, just as he is really 100% sure he'd do in the hypothetical I just posed

It's the troll post that made me internet famous. You found it!*

Soag posted:

ok BB i admit i was wrong and know less about christianity than i thought i did

although it's a bit spurious to say that jesus calls unbelievers dogs, when he says that "dont feed dogs the children's bread from the table" in reference to healing a sick lady who he later heals anyway
Hardly. It's a typical Jewish attitude of that period: non-Jews are sub-humans, ranked with dogs and other lesser species. It's not just in the New Testament.

Soag posted:

and "i come with a sword, to set father against son" is maybe a bit different to ""Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. . . . [I]f they attack you put them to the sword. "

You're right. It is worse to encourage children to commit patricide than to encourage people to kill others they don't know.

Both are wrong and need to be purged from culture.

I just wonder about how our attitudes about how other people need to reform add to the suffering of people who are already widely persecuted, or even whether or not you can reform a culture which is being persecuted and discriminated against, due to the innate human spirit of resistance to oppression.

Is TOML suggesting that gays are more persecuted than Moslems? I'd disagree, and the general life-outcomes for each group should show why.

*PS - Death to whites.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Is TOML suggesting that gays are more persecuted than Moslems? I'd disagree, and the general life-outcomes for each group should show why.

no, I wasn't suggesting we play the oppression olympics. I was suggesting that when you said you would take a sensitive and gentle querying approach to the culture of the liberal party you were talking out your loving arse

• Locked thread