Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Try and keep a contemporary archaeologist out of a skull covered place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

euphronius posted:

Hello I am a undifferentiated stem cell. My cell mate left but did not demand her deposit back. It is right to keep it? any advice?

Well, you should initially run a title search on the gonad with the relevant municipality in your jurisdictio- wait, it's a trap!

Magres posted:

They could have hired me for ten bucks. Use a skull and crossbones. Problem solved.

That gets raised every time this article gets reposted, and they considered and rejected it with good reason- that symbol meant other things in a lot of cases; in particular, it can indicate dead things or a past danger, not a present danger. One of the big problems of communicating that particular message was the "Dangerous now" element. Also, "dig here for pirate treasure".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 12, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My general opinion on the question is gently caress the humans 10k years hence if they are living in preliterate hunter gatherer tribes after the total collapse of modern society.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, you should initially run a title search on the gonad with the relevant municipality in your jurisdictio- wait, it's a trap!

That gets raised every time this article gets reposted, and they considered and rejected it with good reason- that symbol meant other things in a lot of cases; in particular, it can indicate dead things or a past danger, not a present danger. One of the big problems of communicating that particular message was the "Dangerous now" element. Also, "dig here for pirate treasure".

Beep boop how do I humor

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

The good news is I can give unfettered bioethics advice because for some godawful reasons the profession of bioethics is an unregulated clusterfuck! :)

In your professional opinion, is the following an accurate portrayal of your discipline?

kelvron posted:

I blame Absurd Alhazred. He made it. I just make poor decisions.

Great. Now I'm culpable in yet another bad white-background smiley. I will never live this down. :smithicide:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Nice transparency. Not.

Depending on your political leanings, it's either a commentary on the Obama administration's transparency or the Republicans' ability to make functional stuff.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The cat thing is a clever attempt, but really it would probably fail also because

a) can you think of any myth or folk tale that has persisted for 10,00 years, and
b) if so, do you believe it?
c) that song sucks.

Even if it did last, human curiosity would win out and people would go looking for it to try and understand it or use it against one another. Best to just sink it all into a subduction zone and let the earth take care of it, I say.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Great. Now I'm culpable in yet another bad white-background smiley. I will never live this down. :smithicide:

:notch:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In your professional opinion, is the following an accurate portrayal of your discipline?

Good god, no. I haven't seen that one. Neither field resembles either of those statements- although there are some idiots in bioethics closer to the first panel, which sounds cool but is a really shallow and meaningless adage.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hope I'm not late posting this, but there's another layer of comedy to this story.
The guy seeking dubious legal advice on Reddit and getting hosed hard by following the advice given calls himself "antons_key" which is a plot device from the Orson Scott Card "Shadows of Ender" sequel series.
Anton's Key was the gene unlocked by Anton (the scientist) that made the character named Bean a supergenius, beyond Ender or any of the other Battle School geniuses.

You have to enjoy the irony.

But please don't ask me why I know this. :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man I completely forgot that but you're totally right. OSC is a guilty pleasure of mine (and the only author I can think of whose books I enjoy yet refuse to purchase because screw giving that miserable jerk money).

That username is beautiful :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am glad my bioethics joke did not go unnoticed.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you love-to-hate really bad New Yoker cartoons:
http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/daily-cartoon/daily-cartoon-tuesday-august-12th-robin-williams

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cartoons are like gossamer. One does not dissect gossamer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

So, in 1991 the Feds invited a bunch of linguists, geologists, artists and others to the long term nuclear waste repository to, in part, come up with a way to keep an enduring marker system that would warn our future decendants that the facility was dangerous and off limits. This article is a good read about an interesting problem, that is, how to transmit a clear message 10k years into the future to people who might have zero shared culture with us. But you absolutely must listen to the kitty song, where an artist decided the best way to accomplish this goal was to genetically engineer cats that change color in the presence of radiation and then create folklore about how dangerous it was when cats started changing color. He wrote a folk song example, which is on that page.

Of course later researchers figured out that probably anything unusual you made would draw people who seek out danger, as well as people who in general would assume that anything weird looking must be a good place to look around in general. Which is why current plans to store the waste focus around "just hide it real good, real far away, and make it physically really difficult to get to even if Bobby Future stumbles onto the general area unless people have reinvented tunnel boring machines".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

XyloJW posted:

Yeah, I know, everything gets sucked back into the ether. Time rewinds 30 years. It's kind of grim because then the main characters are full grown adults in 12 year old bodies. Enjoy high school guys!

What does it say about me that I remember that completely random scene and not the end of the film :psyduck:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Good god, no. I haven't seen that one. Neither field resembles either of those statements- although there are some idiots in bioethics closer to the first panel, which sounds cool but is a really shallow and meaningless adage.

Discendo Vox, lover of the death penalty, drone strikes and gay repression, please tell us all about how the golden rule is a "shallow and meaningless adage" tia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I know it's the golden rule, that doesn't make it useful or meaningful. Its scope of application determines its effect, and is unspecified. As such, its power is in its appeal to the moral intuitions of the user- it doesn't provide meaningful directive instruction. One example of how this can be sort of rehabilitated is a similar construct, the Rawlsian veil of ignorance. That has its own problems, but at leat attempts to address some of the application problems it has from an ethics standpoint.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Did you do that on purpose?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I know it's the golden rule, that doesn't make it useful or meaningful. Its scope of application determines its effect, and is unspecified. As such, its power is in its appeal to the moral intuitions of the user- it doesn't provide meaningful directive instruction. One example of how this can be sort of rehabilitated is a similar construct, the Rawlsian veil of ignorance. That has its own problems, but at leat attempts to address some of the application problems it has from an ethics standpoint.

Is this for real

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is Selfishness The Highest Form Of Altruism? What This Man Has To Say May Shock You

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Discendo Vox posted:

The good news is I can give unfettered bioethics advice because for some godawful reasons the profession of bioethics is an unregulated clusterfuck! :)

Would it be ethical for me to start a program of cloning of death row inmate's organs for transplants at a profit?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

Is the state justified in punishing people for and/or using its resource to keep people from

(a) commiting suicide by swallowing a cyanide pill

(b) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by inaction (e.g. not feeding)

(c) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by action (e.g. switching off their life support)?

Is there a meaningful distinction between (a) and (b-c)? Is there one between (b) and (c)?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Discendo Vox posted:

this is it

this is the most D&D post

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is this what this thread is for?

E: also the golden rule is made up and I don't believe in it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I normally stop reading when I come to "Rawlsian", but it was almost at the end of the post.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Discendo Vox, what are your thoughts on the Dungeons&Dragons alignment scheme?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

"You, Discendo, are a gaping rear end in a top hat."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

made of bees posted:

Discendo Vox, what are your thoughts on the Dungeons&Dragons alignment scheme?

"Lawful good is redundant"

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"You, Discendo, are a gaping rear end in a top hat."
Rawls clearly one of Discendo Vox's model gays because you really have no loving idea until you see him randomly in a gay bar scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh are we having a witchhunt?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not a witch. I'm you.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I bet Discendo Vox is one of those gays who has "MASC ONLY" on his Grindr profile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know we're spoiled for choice, but Christine O'Donnell might just be the Platonic ideal of the Tea Party candidate.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Is it probateable to miss helldump?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestration posted:

I'm sure we all do sometimes. But then we remember why it went away.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm sure we all do sometimes. But then we remember why it went away.

It was necessary, until it wasn't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Defenestration posted:

Plenty of bad opinions aren't probateable.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Badger of Basra posted:

I bet Discendo Vox is one of those gays who has "MASC ONLY" on his Grindr profile.

Are you really trying to attack a perceived "Those gays are shameful gays!" position by calling its alleged supporter "a shameful gay!" yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I know we're spoiled for choice, but Christine O'Donnell might just be the Platonic ideal of the Tea Party candidate.

I think Sharron Angle was the stand out superstar of that election cycle. Rand would be, but he actually won. :negative:

Christine definitely gets points for having to deny that she's a witch in a 21st century Senate campaign.

• Locked thread