Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Wow, it took three people to design the Dreadknight? :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is the other reason I never use them. Also, Vindicators get the job done better and cheaper, and are more mobile.

It's reasonably cool but I definitely felt cheated after I bought it. There's like two pages of rules material.

Regarding transport, I magnetised the defiler at the mid section and didnt glue the claws in, means it is much much easier to transport them.

With regards to the Black legion supplement I do not blame you at all, the content of it had a lot to be desired and was really not worth the price. That been said it did have some cool rules changes and artifacts. Chosen as a troop choice allows you to field more special and heavy weapons that you usually would in a CSM army and for a much cheaper price.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Karl Rove posted:

That explains a lot, actually.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wow I love all those new models for grey knights..... Faaaaaaaart.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Karl Rove posted:

No one of us is as stupid as all of us.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If any of you fuckers buy that special edition GK codex I swear to god...

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Would you guys mind if I asked you some questions about the dice you use and if you'd be interested in custom ones? I've been making custom dice for HeroClix players and it just dawned on me that I'm ignoring a potential goldmine, but I don't know the WH40k scene at all, so... wanna be low-rent market research? :shobon:

Scatter dice. Mine always go walkabout, or get mixed in with the other guy's generic white scatter dice. Having customised ones so that that there's no way someone else can claim them would be good. The ork-ier, the better :orks:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Moola posted:

If any of you fuckers buy that special edition GK codex I swear to god...

I sure do loving hate when people spend their money how they want

loving assholes. I saw a guy with a pyrovore and I physically loving assaulted him for giving GW money for their lovely rules

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's reasonably cool but I definitely felt cheated after I bought it. There's like two pages of rules material.

That's understandable. Though I think people feel this way because it was the first supplement and folks just assumed supplements were going to be something they aren't. At least I think it was the first one...can't remember for sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay I've started the thread I'm not finished let me know if math is incorrect or something confusing.http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657196&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post433415642

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

That's understandable. Though I think people feel this way because it was the first supplement and folks just assumed supplements were going to be something they aren't. At least I think it was the first one...can't remember for sure.

It's got nothing to do with expecting it to be something it isn't. It was 50 loving dollars.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

loving assholes. I saw a guy with a pyrovore and I physically loving assaulted him for giving GW money for their lovely rules

hosed up if true...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Moola posted:

hosed up if true...

No it was a hyperbole but man those pyrovores are loving bad.

As long as the GK codex still has cool poo poo like Brother Ghostman and less Brother-Captain Mary Sue I'll be content.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'll pay whatever you want for a Steel legion supplement GW, nobody gives a gently caress about imperial fists or crimson slaughter

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's got nothing to do with expecting it to be something it isn't. It was 50 loving dollars.

Fair enough. I'm just saying it didn't have that effect on me. For the 40 bucks I paid, I was happy with what I got. Then again, I'm one of those people who reads all the lore and tries out all the custom missions and what not. Sentinels of Terra was the one that rubbed me the wrong way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

No it was a hyperbole but man those pyrovores are loving bad.

As long as the GK codex still has cool poo poo like Brother Ghostman and less Brother-Captain Mary Sue I'll be content.

The CEO of GW could take a steaming rancid poo poo directly down your throat and you'd be more than content m8.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Moola posted:

The CEO of GW could take a steaming rancid poo poo directly down your throat and you'd be more than content m8.

Nothing more true has ever been posted in here.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

Fair enough. I'm just saying it didn't have that effect on me. For the 40 bucks I paid, I was happy with what I got. Then again, I'm one of those people who reads all the lore and tries out all the custom missions and what not. Sentinels of Terra was the one that rubbed me the wrong way.

See but that's the point. I wouldn't pay $50 or even 40 for a book of lore--and I like that stuff! I really liked things like the Hounds of Abaddon. But the cost doesn't justify that poo poo. That's more than the cost of other lore books, i.e. the novels, and it's at the high end of what I'd pay for a very good art book.

I paid codex prices for a book that was basically 1/3 of a codex. At least the newer ones are better, from my understanding. I'm glad you didn't feel like you were ripped off, though?

VVV Ah, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up, though.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 13, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

I paid codex prices for a book that was basically 1/3 of a codex. At least the newer ones are better, from my understanding. I'm glad you didn't feel like you were ripped off, though?

The new ones are still basically unit addendas and a new warlord/relic list so they're still pretty poo poo value (especially because you can basically piece together what they are with two blurry screenshots). Ninety percent of them are fluff so if that's not something you want to spend money on they're never going to be worth your time. I guess the new FOCs are cool but they're still pretty much bad BL novels with 10 pages of rules.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 13, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SRM posted:

They can't halve the contents of the boxes. Right now each box has 5 dudes, and the parts for all 5 are spread out around both sprues in each box The only way they could halve the options in each box was if they had someone go in there with a pair of clippers beforehand, which is an incredibly silly idea. The $60 strike squad (if it's legit) is just two GK boxes in one larger box.

I said halve the options, not the models in each box. We'll probably find that they've changed the weapon sprues around so that you only get one Psycannon in the GKSS box (for the 10 models in there) and 2 in the Purifier box (for 5 models) since there's really no other compelling reason to buy the 5-man box if a full squad one exists. It works for SMs because you can use combat squads to pad out Devastators, but the GK Devastator equivalent is build out of the exact same plastic kit anyway.

Cataphract posted:

The orkanauts, which you brought up, are trash. If they really nerfed Kanz to sell orkanauts they would have made them superheavies and assault vehicles. One of the real winners of the update to the ork book seem to be buggies; models that were popular in the old book and have models from 2nd edition. Shoota boys, were hands down better than slugga boys in the previous edition and it makes sense for them to make an adjustment there; not to invalidate players' collections but to make both options viable. And, in that example, it seems to have worked. I now run a bunch of shootas in a wagon and a bunch of bunch of footslogging choppas.

Remember in 4th/early 5th when every gaunt had Spinefists? Then when Spinefists jumped up a point per model for what was functionally a twin linked laspistol on a BS3 model? There were a looot of Tyranid players hurt over that, who had huge squads of now overpriced laspistols. It's not always invalidation of armies (sometimes it is) but encouragement to buy new stuff because the old weapon loadouts are inferior or newer units are better. Sometimes they make mistakes (Pyrovores), it happens. We can see how GW at least tried to make Pyrovores suck less, but they still aren't worth taking. I love how everyone's assumed that because I said GW have a habit of nerfing old favourites to make way for new hotness, that it means GW do it in 100% of cases.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
HiveCommander man, you really have no idea what the Grey Knight sprues look like, do you? You need to quit it with the conspiracy nonsense.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Remember in 4th/early 5th when every gaunt had Spinefists? Then when Spinefists jumped up a point per model for what was functionally a twin linked laspistol on a BS3 model? There were a looot of Tyranid players hurt over that, who had huge squads of now overpriced laspistols. It's not always invalidation of armies (sometimes it is) but encouragement to buy new stuff because the old weapon loadouts are inferior or newer units are better. Sometimes they make mistakes (Pyrovores), it happens. We can see how GW at least tried to make Pyrovores suck less, but they still aren't worth taking. I love how everyone's assumed that because I said GW have a habit of nerfing old favourites to make way for new hotness, that it means GW do it in 100% of cases.

Oh poo poo son! GW caused 9-11! Robin Williams was killed because he didn't buy a Wraithknight! Infowars!

Open your eyes sheeple... Privateer Press and Malifaux didn't tone down any units or make other units better in order for people to buy new things. Open your eyes! GW finecast was a CIA experiment to get people addicted to LSD.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 13, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Karl Rove posted:

For any other GK players in here: do you run Rifleman dreadnoughts and if so, do you convert your own autocannon arms or just bite the bullet and pay for the Forgeworld ones? I've got two metal dreadnoughts I rescued from ebay and I'm interested to see what people have done.
I just used the Autocannons from an Aegis Defense Line for my one

MasterSlowPoke posted:

HiveCommander man, you really have no idea what the Grey Knight sprues look like, do you? You need to quit it with the conspiracy nonsense.
I'm just speculating on why they need to split Strikes and Purifiers into separate boxes, when they could just rebox them as "Grey Knight Strike/Purifier/Interceptor/Purgation Squad". That's why I said there'd probably be changed weapon sprues. It would be nice if people didn't twist my words.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'd love to ask Dan Abnett what he thinks about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie doing so well.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

Sure, but again, I feel like that's GW looking at the way people are playing the game and seeing that there's an imbalance there. A single option is so good that it has made the other options completely redundant. It seems to me that their reaction is to try and create an environment where all the options are viable. I don't think it's some conspiracy to force people to junk their collections but rather an attempt at game balance.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'd love to ask Dan Abnett what he thinks about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie doing so well.

I read an interview with him. He's pretty chuffed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

Sure, but again, I feel like that's GW looking at the way people are playing the game and seeing that there's an imbalance there. A single option has is so good that it has made the other options completely redundant. It seems to me that their reaction is to try and create an environment where all the options are viable. I don't think it's some conspiracy to force people to junk their collections but rather an attempt at game balance.

But netlists say that some units are better than others and if the new units are better than the old units you HAVE to junk your old models to buy the new models or you won't win games because it is impossible to win games unless you netlist!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Wait. How many did you buy?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Wait. How many did you buy?

Let's just say that the webstore is going to be sold out...

I have never bought a limited edition GW anything because they are dumb wastes of money.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Let's just say that the webstore is going to be sold out...

I have never bought a limited edition GW anything because they are dumb wastes of money.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.
You're literrally the last person I would expect to have typed this.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

HiveCommander posted:

I just used the Autocannons from an Aegis Defense Line for my one

I'm just speculating on why they need to split Strikes and Purifiers into separate boxes, when they could just rebox them as "Grey Knight Strike/Purifier/Interceptor/Purgation Squad". That's why I said there'd probably be changed weapon sprues. It would be nice if people didn't twist my words.

They aren't going to change anything. They're going to shove two current kits into the 60 dollar box to give you ten space mans and the 33 dollar box will be exactly as it is now. They're just repacking the stuff for the new codex. Also price hikes maybe I don't know what the current price points for those models are.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It seems pretty dumb but not surprising since Storm Ravens, Land Raiders and Venerable Dreadnoughts are getting a kit that looks to have no change other than the box it comes in. Looks like the 'new unit' rumoured to be a retinue option for Crowe ended up being non-existent. Yay. If that's the case and there's no new units, I at least hope the Inquisition stuff stays so there'll be more than 2-3 entries per FOC. With a little more luck, they'll retcon some of the horrendous fluff from the 5th ed book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HiveCommander posted:

It seems pretty dumb but not surprising since Storm Ravens, Land Raiders and Venerable Dreadnoughts are getting a kit that looks to have no change other than the box it comes in. Looks like the 'new unit' rumoured to be a retinue option for Crowe ended up being non-existent. Yay. If that's the case and there's no new units, I at least hope the Inquisition stuff stays so there'll be more than 2-3 entries per FOC. With a little more luck, they'll retcon some of the horrendous fluff from the 5th ed book.

From the Space Wolf digital error it looks like Inquisitors were removed entirely from the codex. Though I'm not sure why it would surprise anyone after Inquisitors got their own mini des.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
New units might be next week.

On the subject of wasting money, I just bought the new realm of battle. I've always wanted an urban table.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

New units might be next week.

On the subject of wasting money, I just bought the new realm of battle. I've always wanted an urban table.

Just like all those new sister models.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

HiveCommander posted:

I thought the Crowe retinue rumour was for a formation that gave him a Purifier retinue?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I thought the Crowe retinue rumour was for a formation that gave him a Purifier retinue?
Probably is, since rumors tend to get twisted in the Warp Internet.
I never thought I'd see the day when GW rereleased a popular army with no new* kits. SoB treatment, here we come?
If the Inquisition stuff goes away, SoB might actually have more unit entries in their codex than GKs. :drat:

*excluding repackaging of existing models

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Yeah, GK were pretty sparse for units even before, and stripping seven entries out of it leaves them with 1-2 choices in most every slots.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LingcodKilla posted:

Just like all those new sister models.

Just like all those new Dwarves models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just like all those new Dwarves models.

Didn't they actually get new models though? I don't pay much attention to WFB releases so I'm probably wrong.

• Locked thread