Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

leica posted:

I agree. I doubt that Tony had any idea the kid was mad and waiting for him in the middle of the loving track. Tony has been racing open wheel cars almost his entire life and is well aware what an open wheel car can do to a person that gets too close. I don't buy the "goosing the throttle" theory because although he is a hot head, he's not a sociopathic idiot that would risk killing another driver to get a little dirt on them.

At this point I would say the only thing Tony might be guilty of is not paying close enough attention to the situation.

Nobody has bothered to point out the fact that Tony is a Sprint Cup racer who was likely competing in that event for fun. He had nothing to gain/lose from that race. There's no motive aside from the fact that he is literally Hitler.

I guess you could argue that yea, Tony is that bull-headed and egotistical to the point that he'd kill someone just to win a race that doesn't even matter. I'm leaning more towards "no he's not that egotistical" but at the same time, It's Tony loving Stewart. I'm gonna defend him against the litany of youtube videos which could easily go into a reply to this paragraph.

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

This.

VikingSkull posted:

the FIA also doesn't have rules against driving a Ferrari in GT despite the fact that that's more dangerous than walking across a hot race track

And stop with the autismal robot comparisons. "You know, you're statistically more likely to die doing X than walking on a hot race track." Watch the loving video, prior to the collision. He wasn't just "walking across a hot race track" he was trying to stop cars by getting in front of them and jumping out of the way way when they got close.

cname fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

VikingSkull posted:

the FIA also doesn't have rules against driving a Ferrari in GT despite the fact that that's more dangerous than walking across a hot race track

To be fair, it's mostly unsafe for everyone else not in a Ferrari

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair, it's mostly unsafe for everyone else not in a Ferrari

Pretty sure this guy might disagree with you.

This dude too.

Edit: Unless you mean its unsafe for them as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Racing in the fog, what a great idea!

I love the guy frantically waving the flags like anyone could possibly see him.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

This is not true. But please feel free to try it on the road!

It is in developed countries.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

NtotheTC posted:

If you think you automatically have the right of way at least in the US you're nuts. Do you seriously think you have the right of way on a freeway as a pedestrian? Have you ever heard of jaywalking? C'mon son let's quit this stupidity otherwise we'll be writing about how sad it was we lost a goon who thought he could cross the road during a NASCAR race.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lorini posted:

If you think you automatically have the right of way at least in the US you're nuts.

NtotheTC posted:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There's two sides pissing me off about this.

There's the one side that refuses to acknowledge the possibility that Tony Stewart hosed up that night and really shouldn't be racing these type of things in the first place.

There's the other side that knows nothing about auto racing that feels the need to have a "HOT TAKE" on it. Example? I don't want to hear Colin Cowherd's opinion on auto racing and tony stewart. Dude is a no-nothing racist clown with no redeeming qualities as a sports journalist.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

If you think you automatically have the right of way at least in the US you're nuts. Do you seriously think you have the right of way on a freeway as a pedestrian? Have you ever heard of jaywalking? C'mon son let's quit this stupidity otherwise we'll be writing about how sad it was we lost a goon who thought he could cross the road during a NASCAR race.

I think you should maybe read about who originally fought for the jaywalking laws in the US. Pedestrians aren't allowed on the motorways in the UK, but they have right of way if they're on a regular street. Most people use crossings and aren't retards, but occasionally a driver will have to stop to allow an idiot to get to the other side of the road, and silently, or loudly, curse at him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Local radio talk show idiot Mike Calta (cowhead) is going with the whole MURDERER angle and it's really loving annoying because I doubt he actually believes it, but it's the cool edgy route to take.

Sounds like Cowherd is doing the same thing but he's an idiot either way.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

leica posted:

Local radio talk show idiot Mike Calta (cowhead) is going with the whole MURDERER angle and it's really loving annoying because I doubt he actually believes it, but it's the cool edgy route to take.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Colin/status/74949238672461824

I mean this is what I would ultimately point out to be out the guy and why I really don't want to hear his opinions about sports, let alone auto racing. Either he's a.) Really, really, really stupid, b.) Trolling. Regardless, I don't want to hear his take on anything really.

Fox News trotted out Jim Gray the other day to discuss the accident. FOX. Which has hired people on pay roll who could easily talk circles around Jim Gray on auto racing or NASCAR, decided to hire one of the biggest toolbags in sports journalism history. A man that deserves to forever be blackballed by every network on the face of the earth.

There's very, very few people in the sports media world that could likely have some of grasp of auto racing that aren't directly associated with the sport. The lone person I can think of right now would be Jeremy Schaap. Outside of that? I really don't want to or need to hear their opinions.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

cname posted:

And stop with the autismal robot comparisons. "You know, you're statistically more likely to die doing X than walking on a hot race track." Watch the loving video, prior to the collision. He wasn't just "walking across a hot race track" he was trying to stop cars by getting in front of them and jumping out of the way way when they got close.

lol, why did you respond seriously to a joke that anyone who posts in the racing threads here would get instantly?

e- also yeah hearing NYC sports talk rattle on for hours about this when they never cover any racing otherwise is getting on my nerves

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 12, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

Ummm...... you do know drivers entering a live track has a long and sometimes fatal history at all levels of motorsport, right?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the worst instance of injury to someone on track happened in an F1 race, to boot, imagine if Ward and Stewart both died

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the cars were under caution that means nothing bad can happen unless it's intentional

e- also he lived don't worry guys

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

VikingSkull posted:

the worst instance of injury to someone on track happened in an F1 race, to boot, imagine if Ward and Stewart both died

Yeah but everyone remembers that one because the driver died too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

lol, why did you respond seriously to a joke that anyone who posts in the racing threads here would get instantly?

e- also yeah hearing NYC sports talk rattle on for hours about this when they never cover any racing otherwise is getting on my nerves

You and I are on the opposite side of the spectrum of the sport at times, but I do think it's kind of bullshit that a lot of the figures n the sport are rarely mentioned by the national media unless they're doing dumb commercials (Danica Patrick) or there's a death.

Ignorance really hurts in this matter as a whole. I'm not saying I want someone like Colin Cowherd following the sport (I don't, in fact I don't want him involved in sports at all), but it would be nice if people were more familiar with the forms of the sport on a casual level at least.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
part of the problem is people don't understand that sprint cars and stock cars are completely different

everyone bitches about Buschwhackers, so people assume that this is similar, so there's a perception that Stewart was beating up on a bush league instead of basically competing in a different, less popular but still professional series

it's more similar to Bo Jackson, and that's what non racing sports guys should understand

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know, I do think Stewart needs to take a step back, and consider where to go from here in the event that this isn't as bad on his part as we all believed.

I do believe that maybe the guy should consider hanging it up in that department. He's gotten seriously injured in one race last year, and now he's killed someone (directly or indirectly). His love for dirt track racing could be shown in the ways he's already shown. Fielding teams for other drivers and running Eldora. He doesn't truly need to run in events like this any more.

If it's something like "The Chili Bowl" or something? Sure I can see that, but aside from that...dude's not putting himself in a good situation.

I still get the vibe from Ward that there's a good chance that Stewart was his racing idol growing up. I think that makes this whole situation all the more sad really.

One can also say "Well death is a part of racing". True, that doesn't instantly make any type of loss we see within the community any less painful.
This is what happens when someone Just Doesn't Understand Indianapolis.

On another note, the CBC did the best job of explaining the incident and not sensationalizing it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

do you think that dude wrapped around his tire like in the bugs bunny cartoons before he was thrown across the track?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
So I hear Tony Stewart killed Robin Williams? That bastard!

But, seriously

leica posted:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11343290

I just happened to be listening to Cowherd's response when reading the end of this thread. He was getting a lot of poo poo, but then he read a response by someone who has actually been a part of racing for most of his life. It's a bit combative, but it's along the lines of how I view the incident. It's tragic, but it's not something that's purely an accident.

Ward's actions were questionable, but they were no different than how some top drivers—Stewart included—would have chosen to confront the situation. Even so, any level-headed driver coasting past the incident would have made sure to (and did) stay well-clear of someone who was angry enough to be on the track. But not Stewart. Like Ward, he chose to confront the situation, only while still in his car.

So there's your first problem: One hot-head made a poor judgement, and another hot-head followed that up with another. But Smoke being Smoke, he went a step further and hit the throttle to rub it in. The position of Ward in relation to Stewart's car at that moment in time was unfortunate. However, Stewart's choice to throttle up and kick his car sideways was not an accident. As a consequence, someone got killed.

Tony Stewart should be held accountable for his poor judgement, regardless of Ward's own poor judgement. (Two wrongs don't make a right.) Murder, no. But why would a manslaughter charge not be appropriate in this situation? "Racing incidents" only happen between two drivers in their cars in situations that generally can't be avoided. This incident between a man and a car could have easily been avoided. But due to a poor choice or two, it wasn't.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
why does everyone ignore the white and blue 45 that dodges Ward and Ward steps back from?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

the white and blue 45 that dodges Ward

Why didn't it appear that Stewart tried to dodge Ward? That's what I'm curious about. "Put foot on throttle" is not the way you'd usually attempt to do that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

why does everyone ignore the white and blue 45 that dodges Ward and Ward steps back from?

Because it helps the narrative

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Why didn't it appear that Stewart tried to dodge Ward? That's what I'm curious about. "Put foot on throttle" is not the way you'd usually attempt to do that.

maybe he didn't see him

until we know what Smoke said to the cops we can't know why this happened

e- also that video shows a narrow slice of the track and that throttle rev might not even be his, there's just a bunch of blowhard opinions all over and it's kinda hilarious

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ideally what will happen is the police and the DA will bring no charges, the civil suit will be settled out of court, and then when Stewart wins a race from now on mouthbreathers everywhere can scream MURDERER in unison at the top of their lungs

yet another vast NASCAR conspiracy

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

maybe he didn't see him

until we know what Smoke said to the cops we can't know why this happened

So the blue and white 45 saw him enough to dodge him, but Stewart didn't, even though he would have seen the 45 ahead of him dodge something. And him revving the engine was just random, not in response to anyone or anything nearby which he maybe didn't see. Sorry, but that doesn't add up for me. Unless Stewart was Instagramming during caution, I see no justification for "pure accident."

And you're right, we can't know what Smoke was thinking unless/until he explains it from his point of view. However, we shouldn't assume that Stewart is not culpable or not responsible for his actions, either.

ed-

VikingSkull posted:

e- also that video shows a narrow slice of the track and that throttle rev might not even be his, there's just a bunch of blowhard opinions all over and it's kinda hilarious

True, and true. I might be blowharding, I don't know. But you know, opinions on the internet

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 13, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

WindyMan posted:

So the blue and white 45 saw him enough to dodge him, but Stewart didn't, even though he would have seen the 45 ahead of him dodge something.

That's usually how these accidents happen, yes. It's called being 'unsighted'.

ed: also

Gargoyle posted:

Also saw this, relevant.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 13, 2014

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Seriously, do we have a couple audio forensic speaciists that can tell which car is revving up, or any video breakdown at all? Seems like an analysis is necessary, which is what is happening ATM in the cop shop. Which might be worse than could happen here with the right people

For laughs

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

WindyMan posted:

So the blue and white 45 saw him enough to dodge him, but Stewart didn't, even though he would have seen the 45 ahead of him dodge something. And him revving the engine was just random, not in response to anyone or anything nearby which he maybe didn't see. Sorry, but that doesn't add up for me. Unless Stewart was Instagramming during caution, I see no justification for "pure accident."

And you're right, we can't know what Smoke was thinking unless/until he explains it from his point of view. However, we shouldn't assume that Stewart is not culpable or not responsible for his actions, either.

ed-

True, and true. I might be blowharding, I don't know. But you know, opinions on the internet

45 didn't dodge him, Ward jumped back at the last second.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
Oh hey a quote from a driver that was right behind Tony during the incident

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/760185/witness-to-tony-stewart-crash-says-driver-could-not-have-avoided-hitting-other-driver/

quote:

"From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks.
Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened.

"People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

canti32 posted:

45 didn't dodge him, Ward jumped back at the last second.

Bingo. And let's not forget the car before the 45 that takes a MUCH higher line at a much faster speed. Let's not pretend everyone slowed to a crawl and hugged the bottom of the track except Stewart.

Ward was playing Russian Roulette the second he took steps toward the bottom of the racetrack.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
glad to see drivers back me up on the "gas it to turn" thing

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

ideally what will happen is the police and the DA will bring no charges, the civil suit will be settled out of court, and then when Stewart wins a race from now on mouthbreathers everywhere can scream MURDERER in unison at the top of their lungs

yet another vast NASCAR conspiracy

I hope if Ward's parents try to sue, Tony Stewart counter sues for lost points and earnings from a missed race.

Just because I want more drama.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why is everyone assuming that Tony even knew what the gently caress was going on? He could have been completely clueless until he was right on top of the guy for all we know.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
IMO I don't even think he knew anyone was mad or even there, the original crash was a normal sprint car deal

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

leica posted:

Why is everyone assuming that Tony even knew what the gently caress was going on? He could have been completely clueless until he was right on top of the guy for all we know.

There are a couple of tracks that require all pit crew people to wear white pants for that very reason. Guys wearing dark jeans and shirts getting mowwed over in the pits because the drivers can't see them walking around. Hell, I saw some race official get smacked with a push truck once.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

I think I said something along those lines earlier. I dont even think Stewart knew Ward had crashed until he saw the wreck. And as for actually seeing anyone on the track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYudmrySiw

Have a look at some incar of a Sprintcar - it's really amazing these guys can work out anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AHPvhe3NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-cdmncXf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you notice, too, the left side is easiest to see out of, and the right is almost blind

so in the original crash, Smoke had little idea where Ward was, Ward knew exactly where Stewart was

• Locked thread