Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Seconding this. I'm assuming you didn't just because a lot of people come in here and ignore a lot of what we say for whatever reason.

Didn't someone join as a nuke despite Ket and everyone else saying they shouldn't, then came back and said "Oh poo poo you were all right."?

Yeah, then he just kind of faded away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Kinda feels like you tell everyone that no matter the rating.

That's cuz every job is pretty lovely, mostly due to the fact you are in the Navy and dealing with inept leadership. All jobs are pretty poo poo, just some are more poo poo than others, and some offer more opportunities when you get out.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
Every time I being to worry about job hunting in the civilian world and realizing how easy it is to get a paycheck in the Navy, I come to this thread and you guys steer me in the right direction.

FTN 21 months left.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

That's cuz every job is pretty lovely, mostly due to the fact you are in the Navy and dealing with inept leadership. All jobs are pretty poo poo, just some are more poo poo than others, and some offer more opportunities when you get out.

I don't know, I've always enjoyed the actual NEC part of my job, whether that be display, acnt, or teaching. Really it's all of the extraneous garbage that makes it such poo poo.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit. I blame the awful app.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

Yeah, then he just kind of faded away.

Wasn't that Ryand-Smith?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't know, I've always enjoyed the actual NEC part of my job, whether that be display, acnt, or teaching. Really it's all of the extraneous garbage that makes it such poo poo.

while on station on westpac was the only time i did my real job, and enjoyed it

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Today one of the third classes demonstrated that the thyroid is in the thigh. The frightened look of the doctors was hilarious. A first realized just how long HM clinicals (2 weeks) are compared to the training for medical doctors (5+ years), with some of the flight surgeons not even having their MD but actually are interns waiting to go to whatever specialty it is that they wanted to do.

I was also told that my outlook on helping out people would probably hinder me from ever making Chief because I don't stab backs enough or let people fail themselves. This was a good day.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
how to make chief :

1. take credit for everything anyone under you does

2. bash the gently caress out of your underlings

3. write yourself up for sweet medals

this is how my first lpo got chief, and also how 2 other guys on my boat did it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

isn't that navyadvancement.txt ?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Christoff posted:

isn't that navyadvancement.txt ?

its harder to write yourself up for medals if you aren't already e-6, unless you're a yeoman or something

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah but who makes it to e-6 without at least 3-4 NAMs already?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I found out that my last ship would have given me at least one and possibly two more NAMs while I was there if I had written them up.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Yeah, but how much time on the ship did you actually spend doing your job vs cleaning or doing something "cuz :chiefsay:"

fake edit: I guess I enjoyed being a tech when I was allowed to do something not involving the skids and when the old man wasn't popping in to our shops randomly to make sure the radar was still turning.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I found out that my last ship would have given me at least one and possibly two more NAMs while I was there if I had written them up.

A good piece of advice for anyone in a position to write awards (so I guess at the minimum the WCS level) is to constantly write them. In my workcenter I left with three NAMs, my replacement left with three NAMs, and two others had two. I'd like to think me constantly routing NAMS up every month had something to do with that.

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, but how much time on the ship did you actually spend doing your job vs cleaning or doing something "cuz :chiefsay:"

fake edit: I guess I enjoyed being a tech when I was allowed to do something not involving the skids and when the old man wasn't popping in to our shops randomly to make sure the radar was still turning.

You remember how awesome some of our techs were right? I did a lot of technician stuff, probably more than I should have been doing towards the end. I didn't even mind the poo poo I was doing as CSMM A (paper bitch) like rewriting the aloft instruction because it was a tangible thing that had an actual point, as opposed to repainting the same P-Way three times in one deployment for reasons. I'm pretty sure yo ufelt the same way when you weren't writing loving spreadsheets constantly. Which I guess was pretty much never unfortunately.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

A good piece of advice for anyone in a position to write awards (so I guess at the minimum the WCS level) is to constantly write them. In my workcenter I left with three NAMs, my replacement left with three NAMs, and two others had two. I'd like to think me constantly routing NAMS up every month had something to do with that.

You remember how awesome some of our techs were right? I did a lot of technician stuff, probably more than I should have been doing towards the end. I didn't even mind the poo poo I was doing as CSMM A (paper bitch) like rewriting the aloft instruction because it was a tangible thing that had an actual point, as opposed to repainting the same P-Way three times in one deployment for reasons. I'm pretty sure yo ufelt the same way when you weren't writing loving spreadsheets constantly. Which I guess was pretty much never unfortunately.

Ya, that's why I like my job now, I get to do what I was trained to do, with minimal interference. My direct supervisor does a fantastic job of catching the B.S. and he really only bugs us for stuff if he really needs something from us. At this point, it's almost enjoyable to get pulled away from my normal job to do bullshit.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Someone tell me how sweet it is to get out and go to school on post 9/11 gi bill and yellow ribbon. Plus bitches and all that jazz. Just need some words of encouragement to keep pushing to my minimum service obligation.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Someone tell me how sweet it is to get out and go to school on post 9/11 gi bill and yellow ribbon. Plus bitches and all that jazz. Just need some words of encouragement to keep pushing to my minimum service obligation.

Not being in the Navy is pretty sweet, I would highly recommend separating. Best decision I ever made.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All the combat army and marine vets I know at work are kinda messed up and come to think of it they all (5) got fired for some really dumb poo poo except the intensely quiet guy. I guess the armored car business isn't exciting enough for them. We don't have any Navy or Airforce post 9/11 vets. They must be at better paying more interesting jobs.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

I got out and got into Penn on the strength of some really great letters of recommendation I got from the officers I worked for. My life consists of science classes taught by legit geniuses, full of brilliant and beautiful women and laughing my rear end off at all the people who are sinking deeper into debt while I figuratively roll around like scrooge mcduck in federally supplied gold coins. My beard is coming in nicely, and I don't ever have to pee in a cup while some douchebag E6 looks at my dick. This is the most hilariously awesome my life has ever been by an enormous margin. Finish your time, get that honorable discharge and never look back. You can do it, the days may drag but the months will fly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Come to think of it does anyone not opt for the post 9/11

I'm not even out yet but I know dudes making like $5k a month with BAH, unemployment, VA comp state benefits etc

I didn't get any bonus when I enlisted but I did get the Navy college kicker fund which is what an extra $200/week for nothing?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 13, 2014

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Come to think of it does anyone not opt for the post 9/11

The only reason I've heard is that some vocational/technical training that requires OJT (for example, pilot license flight hours) aren't covered as well. There are a few really specific reasons, but they're few, far between, and getting slowly rectified.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I start school in two weeks and between Miami BAH and WA unemployment (which veterans stationed there qualify for regardless of where they move) I'll be pulling in like $4K/month. Still waiting on my VA disability rating, but it should be >20% which means I'll have enough benefits time to get a master's degree through voc rehab. Once I do my loss of income appeal I'll qualify for 100% pell grant. Basically, I'll be getting paid more to go to school than I was while active duty.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Need some career advice. I'm an ETSA - well, almost an ETSA - and have been stuck at TSC Great Lakes Mistakes for far too long.

Anywho, the orders billet just came in, sporting 33 fantabulous choices. Over the past long time I've been here, one thing led to another and I basically have 31 of those orders to choose from before everybody else. I've narrowed it down to three choices based on various opinions from instructors and personal preference. Unfortunately, I pick on Thursday and cannot seem to get enough information to make a decisive choice between the three.

The orders:
pre:
Command       CVN-74 J STENNIS
Duty Station  WA, BREMERTON
NEC           1419 (EMC) OR 0000 (Random)
Reason        1-2 day's drive from home, livable weather, Seattle, newest CVN on billet.
pre:
Command       DDG-89 MUSTIN
Duty Station  JAPAN, HONSHU YOKOSUKA
NEC           1571 (UPX-29 IFF Interrogator)
Reason        Shorter deployments, smallboy, interesting experience for travel and personal growth.
pre:
Command       MCM 13 DEXTROUS
Duty Station  BAHRAIN, MANAMA
NEC           1460 (COMSEC)
Reason        Huge career advancement opportunity, though it is impossible for me to tan.
Any opinions on the listed above would be greatly valued and considered, as it is the next few years I'll be living with this choice.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wasn't on the Mustin but was on the JSM in Yokosuka. "Shorter deployments" means in and out 2/3 of the year, travel means tiny towns in japan, and expect some sort of certification or exercises every other month.

Also Mustin is a flight 2, don't know if that changes much for your rate.

About the travel, on my time of the McCain, we only went to Australia once, hong kong twice (one year was cancelled), vladivostok once, korea a lot, japanese ports most of the time. I guess saipan and guam a couple times.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Stennis sucks and Bremerton sucks harder IMO.

Personally I'd go mcm just because it's not C7F

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Laranzu posted:

The Stennis sucks and Bremerton sucks harder IMO.

Personally I'd go mcm just because it's not C7F

What's wrong with C7F? Keep in mind I've literally been in school since RTC.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I wasn't on the Mustin but was on the JSM in Yokosuka. "Shorter deployments" means in and out 2/3 of the year, travel means tiny towns in japan, and expect some sort of certification or exercises every other month.

Also Mustin is a flight 2, don't know if that changes much for your rate.

Mustin was awarded Battle "E" five times from the Wikipedia page, so it looks like either smooth sailing or someone with a fetish for being sat (lots of rules). Then again I don't really know.

I do know that it shouldn't matter what flight of DDG I end up on as an ET.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Reacon posted:

Any opinions on the listed above would be greatly valued and considered, as it is the next few years I'll be living with this choice.

Go to Bahrain and make fat stacks, especially if you aren't married. Hell, I am married with kids and Bahrain is high on my list for next orders.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Go to Bahrain and make fat stacks, especially if you aren't married. Hell, I am married with kids and Bahrain is high on my list for next orders.

My one elephant in the house with Bahrain is the heat. I'm sweating profusely here in Chicago almost constantly, and burning every mandatory PT. Would I survive the heat and humidity?

(I've spent 18 of my 20 years in Montana, where it never exceeds 70 in the apex of summer)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Reacon posted:

My one elephant in the house with Bahrain is the heat. I'm sweating profusely here in Chicago almost constantly, and burning every mandatory PT. Would I survive the heat and humidity?

You'll get used to it. Just be smart about it. Bahrain is actually a pretty cool place to hang out although I don't how much you'll be out on an MCM since I know fuckall about ships other than the ones I've landed on.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

You'll get used to it. Just be smart about it. Bahrain is actually a pretty cool place to hang out although I don't how much you'll be out on an MCM since I know fuckall about ships other than the ones I've landed on.

I'll more seriously consider it, thanks. I need more opinions on life aboard a MCM first though.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I think if you go to Bahrain you'll make tax-free money and get HDP the entire time.

e: What are the other 28 choices like?

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 13, 2014

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

MancXVI posted:

I think if you go to Bahrain you'll make tax-free money and get HDP the entire time.

e: What are the other 28 choices like?

Bahrain is no longer IDP, I don't know about HDP though.

Most of the rest are to Norfolk, and I simply have no desire to be on the east coast. There's a few San Diego to the Decatur, Reagon. Yokosuka on the George Washington. Everett on the Nimitz.

Going to sleep now. Thank you all for the response.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reacon posted:

What's wrong with C7F? Keep in mind I've literally been in school since RTC.

Mustin was awarded Battle "E" five times from the Wikipedia page, so it looks like either smooth sailing or someone with a fetish for being sat (lots of rules). Then again I don't really know.

I do know that it shouldn't matter what flight of DDG I end up on as an ET.

C7F is like the knee-jerkiest reactionary bullshit you can deal with, crammed down your throat on a daily basis, with extra servings on the side. Do not come here, I have seen many many people snap and destroy their Navy careers to get out of 7th fleet. To be honest, go to the MCM. You will enjoy working with such a small crew, can't stay out of port long on that thing, usually a week or 2 endurance, so you will hit port many and often.

Bremerton sucks as there is nothing to do as a single junior enlisted sailor that does not involve getting into some serious trouble, and carrier life is nice somewhat as you will generally have someone you can ask for advice if you need it for just about anyrhing, but you will have to deal with some pretty annoying bullshit on a carrier as well, along with never ever hitting a liberty port.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 13, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
All of the hot foreign (British, Austrian, Australian) girls I know married to sailors met their husbands in Bahrain. So there's that.

I'm in Japan now, and as far as personal growth goes there's not a lot to be had. More than Stateside, but only slightly. MUS has a crazy optempo (because C7F) but there's some cool folk on board. Everything is what you make it, but for my money I'd pick MCM every time. Also, minemen are super cool. One of my favorite rates to work with. Tight community, cool dudes (and I understand there's Chicks now, too.)

Today it was 35 degrees Celsius and I was topside on a DDG all day. I was sweating my butt off and it's also 90% humidity. If you want to avoid heat, C7F is not the place to do it. Plus, it's crippling here when it snows. Like, everything stops. So heat + cold+ High optempo. All that said, I love ramen and okonomiyaki, so yay Japan, because we have the best food. But I'm on shore duty and can enjoy it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Japan means you'll be out to sea more often cumulatively than ships that deploy regularly stateside. You will be unduly burdened with stupid rules, will live on your ship for months before you can move into a barracks room, and won't be allowed out past midnight during any of that time.

If those rules have changed, they're one dead cabbie away from being back in place. C7F locks the gently caress down on liberty and basically anything you do.

I can't speak at all to Washington because I've never been, really.

Bahrain is hot, sandy, and miserably humid 80% of the year. The remaining 20% is pleasant. You'll be surrounded by some of the most liberated group of shitheads in the middle east and a lot of commonwealth folks. It's a terrible place, imo, but you'll make a fuckton of money if you're smart, have hot white foreign girls around at various bars and such, and will gain a deep appreciation for indian/malay slave labor as you can get everything delivered, including booze.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Reacon posted:

(I've spent 18 of my 20 years in Montana, where it never exceeds 70 in the apex of summer)

Where in the gently caress in MT were you that it never got over 70 during summer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

krispykremessuck posted:

Where in the gently caress in MT were you that it never got over 70 during summer

In the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I recall in Ennis (a valley) it only spiked to above 70 for like an hour due to sun placement. Shits pretty cold for the majority of the day.

• Locked thread