Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Say what you want about Weir, but the way she went out in the end was pretty drat hardcore. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

WarLocke posted:

Say what you want about Weir, but the way she went out in the end was pretty drat hardcore. :black101:
More like :stare:

Atlantis is king of reducing main characters to recurring characters, thereby making it okay for their imperfections to come to the fore. Like, every character has flaws, but in a show like Atlantis (and SG-1) the plot is contrived such that their imperfections don't actually gently caress things up too too badly. But when Weir and Ford become recurring, it's suddenly okay for their gently caress ups to actually be gently caress ups.

Like if McKay had been reduced to recurring character and allowed to die, that solar system he destroyed probably would have been populated or something. Or he would have removed an entire populated universe from existence, or what-have-you. All those times he messed up but hey phew no one got hurt because *~~luck~~* would have ended differently.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

I used :black101: because she knew it was coming and chose not to tell the other replicants anyway. Not arguing against your other point but Weir's exit was kind of the definition of hardcore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Light Gun Man posted:

Universe is hard to watch unless you can really enjoy Rush. Embrace the rear end in a top hat.

If you don't enjoy Rush, you are the rear end in a top hat.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

If you don't enjoy Rush, you are the rear end in a top hat.

SGU is only watchable because it syncs up with 2112 perfectly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tighclops posted:

SGU is only watchable because it syncs up with 2112 perfectly

The command code for the Destiny is the drum solo of YYZ.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pidmon posted:

I'm kind of interested in the Big Finish audiobooks, do you guys roughly know how much entertainment/minute there is so I know whether it's worth throwing down the cash? I heard somewhere that the earlier audiodramas were like 45 minutes for a significant portion of money which wasn't enough for me to throw down on, but I read in here season 3 was more like full radio plays? Does that mean longer runtimes?

OK, update on this question, because I apparently have more money than sense and actually bought series 3.

Haven't listened to the last episode yet, but again, the difference is that rather than one actor narrating a story, with occasional interludes from another, series 3 is a set of proper audio plays, with dialogue, sound effects, large-ish casts and so on. They seem to run, on average between an hour and about 70 mins.

The first half is a neat enough idea and Cliff Simon is always fun as Ba'al but having the bad guy be from the show kind of hurt it for me. They don't replace Sam/Mitchell/Teal'c with anyone, and it just feels weird for Vala and Daniel to be the only ones taking on a major villain from the TV show. The second set is much more interesting as it seems to be trying to give the Asgard a proper send-off and (casting spoiler)yes, they do make use of the fact that they have Shanks and Thor appears, as well introducing a new villain, which makes more sense for the cast they have to be battling, if only because they're the only ones who know about her.

I'll give them props for using the Sun-Tzu in the first trio of eps, though. A nice way to keep to the show mythos, and get around not having any of the actors playing the captains of the other ships available.

EDIT: And the theme music they came up with, due to not having the rights to the real SG-1 theme is... it's pretty bad.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 11, 2014

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I just started re-watching sg1 I'm in s4 about to be s5. I don't remember so many scientology propaganda episodes when I first watched this on tv. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but they have an episode where the stereotypical crazy schizophrenic conspiracy guy is really an alien and the psychoactive medicine is bad for him because its poisoned by his alien buddies. Which would be fine if they didn't so heavy handily express that most psychoactive medicine is bad. I'm just waiting for Daniel to audit someone.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are you even talking about.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, since what's referring to Scientology in that episode(s)? Not trying to be rude - just curious about how you're interpreting what's going on. I didn't think there were any overt religious themes in Stargate at all, myself; excluding ancient Egyptian God/Goa'uld worship, I suppose!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about.

Either Martin Lloyd or Joe the Barber I guess.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, since what's referring to Scientology in that episode(s)? Not trying to be rude - just curious about how you're interpreting what's going on. I didn't think there were any overt religious themes in Stargate at all, myself; excluding ancient Egyptian God/Goa'uld worship, I suppose!

There's a lot of religious stuff but it's mostly what you said ancient gods = aliens. This episode I'm talking about is s4e11. In it the sg1 team gets a phone call and have to go investigate the guy who sent it to them for national security reasons. He is a stereotypical delusional schizophrenic. O'niell is just blowing him off as the mentally disturbed person he is but carter and jackson go to his house and then get kid napped because a shadowy govt saw them. Before they were kidnapped they found out his medicine is spiked giving him a sort of amnesia. When o'niell and t'ealc have him in their hotel room to try to figure out where carter and jackson got kidnapped to they have a heavy handed don't take anti psychotics their bad for you thing going on. Scientologys whole thing is there is nothing wrong with people with mental health issues and don't take your pills.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I ended up buying the Big Finish season 3 stuff, I just finished up the fourth one. Boo for the reminder about the Asgardian self-genocide.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

SG1 always had a bad problems believing crazy poo poo even though they dealt with crazy poo poo on a weekly basis.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

snergle posted:

There's a lot of religious stuff but it's mostly what you said ancient gods = aliens. This episode I'm talking about is s4e11. In it the sg1 team gets a phone call and have to go investigate the guy who sent it to them for national security reasons. He is a stereotypical delusional schizophrenic. O'niell is just blowing him off as the mentally disturbed person he is but carter and jackson go to his house and then get kid napped because a shadowy govt saw them. Before they were kidnapped they found out his medicine is spiked giving him a sort of amnesia. When o'niell and t'ealc have him in their hotel room to try to figure out where carter and jackson got kidnapped to they have a heavy handed don't take anti psychotics their bad for you thing going on. Scientologys whole thing is there is nothing wrong with people with mental health issues and don't take your pills.

If you are seeing secret subliminal scientology propaganda in a sci-fi channel show and think that anyone on earth would take it seriously then you are either taking too many drugs or not enough. Crazy person who isn't really crazy is a trope that predates scientology by quite a bit and has been a staple of televised science fiction since the Twilight Zone.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Avulsion posted:

If you are seeing secret subliminal scientology propaganda in a sci-fi channel show and think that anyone on earth would take it seriously then you are either taking too many drugs or not enough. Crazy person who isn't really crazy is a trope that predates scientology by quite a bit and has been a staple of televised science fiction since the Twilight Zone.

Snergle, please listen to this guy.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
To be more specific, the trope predates scientology by over two thousand and five hundred years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

edit: what's scientology's stance on time travel?
edit 2: oh poo poo, thetans have been around for millions of years! How deep does this conspiracy go?????

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 13, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Is Major Hunter a character solely invented for the audiobooks? If not, what episodes was he in? Because the first one was all acting like I should know who he is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pidmon posted:

Is Major Hunter a character solely invented for the audiobooks? If not, what episodes was he in? Because the first one was all acting like I should know who he is.

Audios, but he was in one of the earlier ones (the very first one, I think), I think, plus he's supposed to be on SG...12? I think? So not unreasonable that Daniel at least would know him. Weirder that he'd be assigned to the Sun Tzu when they make it very clear that ship is entirely under China's jurisdiction, but meh. I kind of wish he'd been more involved, because the lack of any other members of the regular cast apart from Black and Shanks hurts the story. Even if you accept that the rest of SG1 are doing other more important things, surely the SGC would send at least one actual soldier with Daniel and Vala if they go off-world. And they could use a third Earth person to bounce off.

EDIT: I suppose you could handwave it as budget cuts for the SGC, given the jokes they made about it during the TV show at that point...
EDIT2: And gently caress that one actress playing a Jaffa who can't pronounce Tau'ri correctly.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 13, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

snergle posted:

Just because Martin Lloyd should stop taking the pills prescribed by his alien quack doctor doesn't mean everyone in the real world should (since presumably these people have real doctors). You can often read works like this as though they are making an inductive argument, but the episode heads this off by making it clear that Martin is a unique case, not an example that is applicable to anyone in the real world.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I've recently got round to watching Atlantis on Netflix, and while watching the episode where Weir finds herself in a psychiatric hospital where everyone says Atlantis and Stargate are delusions, she calls O'Neill for help. In this non-Stargate world he pretty much blows her off, but it got me thinking, surely the best person to contact in this situation would be Daniel?

Everyone else will look at you like you're crazy, but I bet if you told Daniel all about the Stargate and the goauld he'd be all, "I loving knew it!" and jump at the chance to help you figure stuff out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think most of the times they do either Daniel or Carter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You know what I missed in later episodes of Atlantis (he said, having watched the whole series for the first proper time about a month ago)? Dr Novak and Hermiod. They actually had a neat little group of background players crewing the Daedalus with those two, Major Marks, Col Skinner from the X-Files and douchebag Kavannaugh (that dude was awesome casting, the ponytail, the smug superiority even as he's whining about Weir having the gall to put her foot down when she's his boss), and they just kinda disappeared. Novak and Hermiod were especially fun, she's this high-strung, eager-to-please dork, and he's about as snarky and eye-rolling as an Asgard can be. It would've been neat if he'd been the only one not infected by the plot-device-plague o' doom due to being on a human ship at the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shyrka posted:

I've recently got round to watching Atlantis on Netflix, and while watching the episode where Weir finds herself in a psychiatric hospital where everyone says Atlantis and Stargate are delusions, she calls O'Neill for help. In this non-Stargate world he pretty much blows her off, but it got me thinking, surely the best person to contact in this situation would be Daniel?

Everyone else will look at you like you're crazy, but I bet if you told Daniel all about the Stargate and the goauld he'd be all, "I loving knew it!" and jump at the chance to help you figure stuff out.

Galaxy Quest did that best. "Hey Brandon, it's Jason Nesmith." "Hi Jason, I just wanted to say I'm sorry and I know it's just a show, and..." "It's all real." "OH MY GOD I KNEW IT!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, after a short break, I'm back to watching SGU, and gently caress, this scene with Greer saying goodbye to Chloe. :( It's amazing how they took a character that was initially presented as a trigger happy, hyper-aggressive nutcase and made him such an emotional core of the group.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

OK, after a short break, I'm back to watching SGU, and gently caress, this scene with Greer saying goodbye to Chloe. :( It's amazing how they took a character that was initially presented as a trigger happy, hyper-aggressive nutcase and made him such an emotional core of the group.

Jerks are only jerks because they feel emotions better than you

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really like Greer, because while "big burly badass" who's a "hardened killer" has been staple character archetype of Stargate since the movie (where it's Kurt Russell's Jack), Greer is the most realistic take on a person who is the biggest badass in the room, but isn't used for comic relief like Teal'c and Ronan.

SGU's biggest departure from SG1 and SGA is that the characters don't have the same charisma and chemistry. They're not meant to. There's a ton of things wrong with SGU, especially the first season, but I found it refreshing that the character's didn't immediately fall into the comfortable wise-cracking that came naturally to the other SG shows. Not because it wasn't great, but after 15 seasons, it was time for something new.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's a lot like how Star Trek was always about the best of the best but in Voyager the entire cast played incompetent characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's a lot like how Star Trek was always about the best of the best but in Voyager the entire cast played incompetent characters.

Yes, but I thought you were defending SGU?

I think the biggest issues SGU has- as a part of the franchise- is not that it's darker, but that that darkness is initially so cynical. By season 2 the crew starts to coalesce into an imperfect but functional unit. No-one's the best-of-the-best like in the other shows (barring maybe Eli and Rush, and their skills aren't always useful) but rather than that resulting in everyone being a ticking timebomb of neuroses and descending into armed conflict like season 1 posits would happen, season 2 has a much more Stargate message that the whole is greater than the sum, and it's when the group works together that they get poo poo done.

Hell, they have the episode with Langara which is basically there to poo poo on Telford for being an ambitious, short-sighted jerk, while Young is the one that listens to reason from Rodney and Mr Woolsey eventually.

EDIT: Hey, rounding up on the finale now and it's pretty interesting how clearly they were retooling in prep for season 3. Ways to get new members on to the cast, excuse for having more humans in the universe with a unique hook, new recurring antagonists and a long-term arc. Ways to have Destiny become more useful instead of increasingly busted...

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 3, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, Universe complete. I'm not sure either of the other shows had an arc quite as satisfying as Eli finally manning up and taking charge in the finale. The catharsis of him declaring to Young, to Rush, and to himself that HE is the smartest one there, not Rush is fantastic and basically what the whole show had been building to.

I figured I'd go the whole hog and try Stargate Infinity for good measure... Nope, first episode and I'm done. It's like... I know people joke about poo poo like the Rambo and Conan cartoons, but they at least kept the same basic asthetics and just slotted into a GI Joe/He-Man style show (hell,the first of the two Conan cartoons was even half-decent), but this is amazingly tone-deaf about why kids might enjoy the live-action show. It's like that Exosquad show, except the writing in that series was at least trying to be more mature, even while the animation screamed toyetic. Infinity's writing is just as juvenile (in a 'talking down to kids' way) and the animation is cheap and seems designed to shill toys that I'm not even sure existed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

There's a pretty funny SG discussion taking place in GBS, here, have a link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661471

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Those fake Lego Stargate sets. Why? :smith:

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

PriorMarcus posted:

There's a pretty funny SG discussion taking place in GBS, here, have a link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661471

Hahaha, that picture of Teal'C they keep quoting.

Also poor RDA. Went from super handsome to a bloated obese guy within a few years because of that injury he sustained. Guess that kinda thing happens a lot easier at his age.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Indeed.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe"

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Teal'c 500

e: Didn't see the Brazzers there :lol:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Not Safe For Symbiotes.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

"Yeah, pretty much how I remember it."

:D Definitely a good SG:A episode - the painting being revealed at the end confirming this. Possibly comparable to John and Meredith Rodney's "game" of Civilization, where McKay wound up having his face plastered across their flags and national monuments!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Always annoyed me how there were basically no good Stargate video games when there were multiple episodes about video games.

Stargate RTS could rule so much, drat it.