Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MaxDuo posted:

Sonic: RINGS! NOMONOMONOMONOMONOMNOMONOMOM

Uhhh....

The best part of the Sonic Boom video is the part where runs into several things blocking the way, causing him to slow down. Then at the end of the Sonic Boom bit a few moments later you get Sonic going "CAN'T SLOW ME DOWN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Sonic: RINGS! NOMONOMONOMONOMONOMNOMONOMOM

Uhhh....
What, you did know they were onion rings right? The Genesis just didn't have enough power to render breading.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

The best part of the Sonic Boom video is the part where runs into several things blocking the way, causing him to slow down. Then at the end of the Sonic Boom bit a few moments later you get Sonic going "CAN'T SLOW ME DOWN"

I was a big fan of him missing all the rings in that zipline section, personally.

homeless snail posted:

What, you did know they were onion rings right? The Genesis just didn't have enough power to render breading.

They should actually make them onion rings in one of the games. Collecting 100 gives you a fat powerup like Metal Slug 2.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone made a Sonic 2 rom hack to that effect actually. Rings make Sonic fat and slow, and it had to be worked off through exercise.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

greatn posted:

Someone made a Sonic 2 rom hack to that effect actually. Rings make Sonic fat and slow, and it had to be worked off through exercise.

That honestly sounds like some gameplay mechanic Sonic Team would have tried at one point. It probably became Sonic Unleashed.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Hakkesshu posted:

You should probably still consider playing Mario Galaxy since it's better than all of these.

There is no way that Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 is better than 3D World.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

There is no way that Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 is better than 3D World.

I'd say the Galaxy games are better, but that's like saying one diamond is better than one slightly smaller diamond

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No game is better than any other game. Stop being a gamist.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

greatn posted:

No game is better than any other game. Stop being a gamist.

I'm not gamist but all games look the same

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

greatn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI1IJVGgbg

It's pretty great. Except for the idiot running it in 11kHz sound..

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm doing a first playthrough of galaxy 1 and holy poo poo does it own.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ethanol posted:

I'm doing a first playthrough of galaxy 1 and holy poo poo does it own.

I just came here to post this ... eerie. Just completed the first observatory, did not expect to fight Mario Gear Excelsus :allears:. The game gets better than this?! And there's another one that's better still? And then 3D World is going to happen to me. Life is all right. :mario:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Sonic Boom must buy confirmed.

Seriously though, I think I own and or plan to own every game featured in that video, except probably Sonic Boom. Maybe it will be amazing or something, but I've never liked Sonic games. I think that Sonic being hungry for rings is hilarious though.

As someone who managed to find a place in his heart for even Sonic Adventure, Unleashed, and Lost World, I don't think I'll be going anywhere near Sonic Boom for a long, long time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI1IJVGgbg

It's pretty great. Except for the idiot running it in 11kHz sound..

Not shown is that after that last stage where he can barely walk is a stage where he becomes completely immobile, and shortly dies afterwards.

Its a great comedy hack.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all,

This isn't strictly Wii U related, but can anyone vouch for the Mario all stars port for the wii? I've heard reports of some controller lag, and that worries me.

A few years back I tried playing Mario 3 on emulators and the controller delay is just deadly for a game that requires such precision platforming.

Over two decades from when I first started playing it, I want to finally conquer my own gaming beast - I've never come close to beating Super mario 3. Rocked pretty much every other game in the series, but that one has eluded me until now.

And I grew up with the SNES one, so I really don't want to play the NES originals.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey all,

This isn't strictly Wii U related, but can anyone vouch for the Mario all stars port for the wii? I've heard reports of some controller lag, and that worries me.

A few years back I tried playing Mario 3 on emulators and the controller delay is just deadly for a game that requires such precision platforming.

Over two decades from when I first started playing it, I want to finally conquer my own gaming beast - I've never come close to beating Super mario 3. Rocked pretty much every other game in the series, but that one has eluded me until now.

And I grew up with the SNES one, so I really don't want to play the NES originals.

it's literally the ROM on disc

controller lag is fine on virtual console games, getting any means you have a lovely TV, get a newer one or play on an old CRT (or look for a game mode in the TV's menus)

if you dont have any problems playing video games where you could feel it on your current TV (music games, platformers, anything that requires reflexes) then you wouldnt have a problem with mario

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just came here to post this ... eerie. Just completed the first observatory, did not expect to fight Mario Gear Excelsus :allears:. The game gets better than this?! And there's another one that's better still? And then 3D World is going to happen to me. Life is all right. :mario:

Whether or not Galaxy 2 is better than 1 is a little contentious. It's more difficult and more distilled platforming than the first game, so I like it a lot, but people dock it for not having quite the same feeling of adventure or something as Galaxy 1. Then 3D World is nothing but distilled platforming.

There are some games I wish I could play for my first time again and Galaxy 2 is one of them.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

RyokoTK posted:

Whether or not Galaxy 2 is better than 1 is a little contentious. It's more difficult and more distilled platforming than the first game, so I like it a lot, but people dock it for not having quite the same feeling of adventure or something as Galaxy 1. Then 3D World is nothing but distilled platforming.

I don't know what you're trying to say here, but that's exactly what makes 3D World the best 3D Mario game, imo. It's just like 100 levels of Mario platforming.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Narcissus1916 posted:

lol :rolleyes:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say here, but that's exactly what makes 3D World the best 3D Mario game, imo. It's just like 100 levels of Mario platforming.

I just found rosalina's story time in galaxy 1 and I want to kill myself. really could use a skip button here

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ethanol posted:

I just found rosalina's story time in galaxy 1 and I want to kill myself. really could use a skip button here

Probe 17 posted:

Yes, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 was a great game, which also had a great story. Also, you can't look me in the eye and tell me that purple gently caress was better than Rosalina.

I mean, I don't care, it's a wonderful game either way, but that still kinda rubs me the wrong way is all.

haha

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lubba is the best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think Galaxy 2 is the best but it's basically a toss up. But yeah I really like both Galaxy 2 and 3D World because of the pure platforming. However, there is definitely a contingent of Mario fans that prefer 64/Sunshine/somewhat Galaxy 1 because the levels are more open and filled out, and are meant more for exploring and less about platforming.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super Mario 64 is the best game of all time guys.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mario 64 is pretty good but Sunshine blows it away in everything except music. Better controls, better platforming, better objectives, better looks

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

oddium posted:

Mario 64 is pretty good but Sunshine blows it away in everything except music. Better controls, better platforming, better objectives, better looks

Yeah collecting all those blue coins for 120 shines sure was fun and cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oddium posted:

I just want Nintendo to do the right thing and make Super Mario Sunshine HD. Is that too much to ask? :shrug:

And preferably with the Blue Coins excised, or at least tallied/trackable somewhere, because gently caress that noise.

RyokoTK posted:

I think Galaxy 2 is the best but it's basically a toss up. But yeah I really like both Galaxy 2 and 3D World because of the pure platforming. However, there is definitely a contingent of Mario fans that prefer 64/Sunshine/somewhat Galaxy 1 because the levels are more open and filled out, and are meant more for exploring and less about platforming.

Explorer Crew, represent! :bubblewoop:

Galaxy 2 and 3D World are amazing games in their own right, I just like exploring the old big open stages more.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There is an incredibly short list of games more influential than Super Mario 64. When that game came out it blew my mind...it was amazing looking and there was nothing like it.

Sure, it's probably been done better (and Sunshine isn't that loving game get out of here with that nonsense. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Super Mario 3d world are acceptable answers to that), but it was absolutely revolutionary when it came out.

And it still plays great too - I played it about six months ago and it was still a ton of fun.

I don't think dismissing older games because newer ones have done it better is fair. There's a lot of revolutionist history for Grand Theft Auto 3, but if you look objectively that's got to be a top 10 game of all time too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

oddium posted:

This man knows what is up! Plus FLUDD. FLUDD was great.

As much as I love Sunshine, I much prefer the more "pure platforming" Mario games, like 3D World. 3D World is everything I wanted out of a Mario game. I do like the more exploration based Mario games, but they feel less like proper Mario games to me. Like, they'd be just as fun if they didn't have Mario in them. Maybe Nintendo should use a related character for those types of games? Like, I dunno, Wario or something, leave Mario to the pure platforming.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

oddium posted:

Uhhh excuse you

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I got Star Fox 64 from Club Nintendo, but the code they gave me is returning an error code.

Do I need to wait longer for these downloads to be active? What's going on?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Not only do I prefer Sunshine to 64... I think Link's Awaking is better than Link to the Past and Metroid Fusion is more fun than Super Metroid :twisted:

And Donkey Kong 64 was a good game :unsmigghh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zfleeman posted:

I got Star Fox 64 from Club Nintendo, but the code they gave me is returning an error code.

Do I need to wait longer for these downloads to be active? What's going on?

You have to go into Wii mode, then the shop from there. It's not in the Wii U store.

Also, Sunshine is a slow, barren, unfun mess of a game that goes in a dozen different directions and does none of them well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah collecting all those blue coins for 120 shines sure was fun and cool.

You don't have to do this.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't have to do this.

The percentage, man! The percentage! He can't leave those coins uncollected! It messes with his OCD!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kirios posted:

I don't think dismissing older games because newer ones have done it better is fair. There's a lot of revolutionist history for Grand Theft Auto 3, but if you look objectively that's got to be a top 10 game of all time too.

If you dismiss everything because something does it better then you ruin a ton of media. You do have to realize that it came first or it feels lacking, or like it ripped something else off. Calling DOOM a bad FPS when the entire genre was called Doom Clone for the longest time is wrong. You do have to do a bit of research to fully appreciate what a game, movie, TV show, or book did.

Some things age poorly, games with horrible control schemes or ways of displaying information, I'm looking at your daggerfall map! Special effects that are just all around basic can ruin movies, and shows in later watching even with a historical mind frame.

Really though pretty much every Mario game is solid its silly to argue what game was better since Super Mario 3 is perfection, but even the worst Mario is an amazing game. (platformer, I'm not going to defend missing or time machine).

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Random Stranger posted:

You have to go into Wii mode, then the shop from there. It's not in the Wii U store.

Aw, maaaan. I don't like the Wii mode.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

zfleeman posted:

Aw, maaaan. I don't like the Wii mode.

You can give me the Star Fox 64 code then! I'll put it to good use. :haw:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I loved Super Mario Sunshine because it immersed me in a world in a way I haven't been before or after. I'll make an analogy to James Bond and Bollywood movies.

James Bond movies for many decades filmed in exotic locales as an experience for people who didn't have the time or money to get to those locations (especially when air travel was not what it is today). It was their glimpse into something that they would not be able to attain themselves.

Bollywood movies do the same thing with clothing. If you notice, the wardrobes of those movies are pretty extensive with the main characters changing clothes pretty often. Same concept of wish fulfillment/living vicariously from a populous who don't have the means to purchase that clothing.

Mario Sunshine did that for me as a tropical setting and the focus on clear blue water. A lot of games have tropical settings, but Super Mario Sunshine just nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RadicalR posted:

The percentage, man! The percentage! He can't leave those coins uncollected! It messes with his OCD!

Well Sunshine is one of the few Mario games that I did not get 100% completion in because of the blue coins, they drag the game way down. And I pretty much always do full clears in Mario games because they have a lot of good, fun content that's worth doing. I just brought it up in response to the dude saying Sunshine blows 64 out of the water (which is utter nonsense for a lot of reasons, but that's one that came to mind right away).

pixaal posted:

Calling DOOM a bad FPS when the entire genre was called Doom Clone for the longest time is wrong. You do have to do a bit of research to fully appreciate what a game, movie, TV show, or book did.

Kind of a weird example here because Doom stood head-and-shoulders above all of its clones and competitors for several years, even at the time. (except for Marathon :colbert:)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread