Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope he just keeps going until all the characters are gone and he is Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Also, if you want to remove cait sith, why not just change it so Reeve himself is the spy? Wouldn't that be less work? Why come up with Original the Hedgehog?

Because then they can't flaunt their e-peen about the ~so cool~ reference to Judas Iscariot and Matthias.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I thought it was a joke but no, the man recently posted about trying to edit Cait out of the ending movie so he can put his fanfic OC in.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One of the other big problems with the people doing the translation is they're....those sort of FFVII fans. The "There is no humor in this at all!" sorts. Scroll down a tad and you get this bit, on a future (psh, yeah. It's never happening) feature of the patch:

Now granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Cait Sith, but really?

How would the Ancient Temple work in this Scenario? The end scene was only possible because Cait Sith was robot and he's planning to replace him with a human.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

How would the Ancient Temple work in this Scenario? The end scene was only possible because Cait Sith was robot and he's planning to replace him with a human.
His twin brother with the same name.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Pffft bahahaha. It's impressive that they have enough respect for the sanctity of the ~*~original glorious Nihongo~*~ to replace Moogle with Moguri, because it's a portmanteau of the Japanese words for "mole" and "bat" you see, while simultaneously having the requisite insight into the creators' original vision to gut out an entire character and replace him with an original creation of their own.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Holy poo poo, that's bad. Why can't any well-grounded rational human beings work on these mods? It's always some egomaniac with god-awful taste.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just have Aeris do it instead. You can follow her ghost to the city of the Ancients.

Iscar Matthias (really? really?): "I'll stay here and sacrifice my life to get the black materia. I owe it to you all for my traitorous ways, because I have grown and matured as a character."

Cloud: "No! We can't lose YOU, Iscar! You are the heart and soul of this team! Aerith, you do it."

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 13, 2014

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Holy poo poo, that's bad. Why can't any well-grounded rational human beings work on these mods? It's always some egomaniac with god-awful taste.

Generally because the egomaniacs with god-awful taste are the only ones who can see a translation and think both A) I can do better and B) actually attempt it, as opposed to most people, who go 'I could do better!' and then find something more important to do with their time.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One of the other big problems with the people doing the translation is they're....those sort of FFVII fans. The "There is no humor in this at all!" sorts. Scroll down a tad and you get this bit, on a future (psh, yeah. It's never happening) feature of the patch:

Now granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Cait Sith, but really?

You know what I am a big fan of Caith Sith because playing a cat robot is a poo poo ton of fun. It's weird. It's quirky. The character is bizarre and lovable as is the rest of the FFVII cast. And FFVII is a ridiculous, absurd, campy game that is essentially a mash-up of classical fantasy and sci-fi films from the 50s-80s and that's part of its charm. Anyone who doesn't realize this obviously isn't as much of a fan as they think they are.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's kind of amazing that the people who haven't played the game in over a decade and the people who play it religiously have about the same amount of understanding of the game's tone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

You know what I am a big fan of Caith Sith because playing a cat robot is a poo poo ton of fun. It's weird. It's quirky. The character is bizarre and lovable as is the rest of the FFVII cast. And FFVII is a ridiculous, absurd, campy game that is essentially a mash-up of classical fantasy and sci-fi films from the 50s-80s and that's part of its charm. Anyone who doesn't realize this obviously isn't as much of a fan as they think they are.

I'd like Cait Sith a lot more if the game didn't make me go to the Gold Saucer to get him. Fuuuuck that place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Generally because the egomaniacs with god-awful taste are the only ones who can see a translation and think both A) I can do better and B) actually attempt it, as opposed to most people, who go 'I could do better!' and then find something more important to do with their time.
To be fair, the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation is pretty good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Their leader's name is Regis. Regis means "king" in Latin

Seriously, who thinks this name poo poo is ever a good idea? I mean, aside from Final Fantasy 15.

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation is pretty good.
I really wanted to like it because I've always kinda liked BoF2, but then they go and do dumb poo poo like "oh no you're not allowed to change anyone's name anymore." I'm noticing I don't really care about newer games, but if it's something older, I have a hard time getting into it if I can't name 'em. I'll love FF1 ports until they take out the part where I can name my fighter rear end :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm morbidly curious as to how he plans to handle the Wall Market scenario. I would hope that he'd just axe it entirely because given what I just read, I'm pretty sure any attempt he would make at "improving" the scene would be... ugh, I don't even want to finish this thought. :negative:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"The game I love so much would be a lot better if I wrote it."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Replace Caith Sith with Detective Joe.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

What this project isn't:
*A literal translation from the Japanese.
*An attempt to rewrite FFVII or to warp any of its original content.
*An attempt to prove that we somehow know what the original creators wanted for every single byte in the game.

Of course it's not. :jerkbag:

Irony posted:

Iscar is an upcoming project to replace Cait Sith with a new human character. The new character will be designed to fit in with the original game. Some story changes will be made in order to achieve this.
Iscar will change the character model, script, FMV and battle related information. Cait will be utterly annihilated. Where possible I will stick to the original script. The basic plot will remain intact, except that it will be more plausible. I have actually had fanboys trying to rationalise the writing regarding Cait Sith. These people generally display an unbelievably poor understanding of fiction and writing (the usual excuse being "It's just fiction" *roll eyes*).

Cait's going no matter WHAT you say.
:lol:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A game that involves the main character crossdressing (and being found attractive) and infiltrating military compounds via dolphin jumping is too serious for Cait Sith guys

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

FFVII Fan Translation posted:

ピッツァ2000 PTZ2000 [Shin-Ra car tyres] Pizza 2000
クェ Wark "[From the Chocoball jingle.]" Kweh
小さな姉弟がいた家 Nibelheim House Lit. Niblheim, the house where the little siblings were Young Siblings' Home
]ハチマキ Headband [Japanese Headband/Bandana] Hachimaki
203ミリ砲弾 8inch Cannon 203mm Shells
ラストエリクサー Megalixir Last Elixir
フェニックスの尾 Phoenix Down Phoenix Tail
神羅の最新潜水監 Shinra Sub Newest Shin-Ra Submarine "State-of-the-Art Shin-Ra Submarine"
クライムハザード Climhazzard "[Possibly Climb Hazard. Luksy says Crime is more likely from a Japanese point of view]" Crime Hazard
水面蹴り Waterkick "[A pro wrestling move]" Surface Sweep
キマイラ Harpy "[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28mythology%29]" Chimera
モルボル Malboro "[Possibly from ""morimori""]" Morbor
木の葉乱舞 Autumn Leaves "Lit. Tree Leaves' Boisterous Dance" Wild Dance of the Leaves
地下水 Sewer Groundwater
水攻め Waterball Inundation
チョコボ&モーグリ Choco/Mog Chocobo & Moguri
チョコボックル Chocobuckle "[Mix of word Chocobo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro-pok-guru]" Chocobokkuru
デブチョコボ Fat Chocobo [Light-hearted word for fat] Chubby Chocobo

This guy sounds like a delightful person and not at all insufferable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh god, I didn't see Crime Hazard, that's loving amazing.

I absolutely love the idea of going "hmm, this is the attack where Cloud does a giant rising slash. Clearly the word they were going for was Crime."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 13, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So are they just ignoring that Malboro is a dig at the cigarettes?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WickedHate posted:

So are they just ignoring that Malboro is a dig at the cigarettes?

Has that ever been confirmed? I always thought the connection with Marlboro cigarettes is coincidental. FFWiki claims the name comes from the Latin "malum" ("bad," the origin of the English prefix 'mal-') and Greek "boros." The wiki says "boros" means "breath" but all sources I find says it means "eating," so that's probably not the right origin either.

The Japanese name Moruboru sounds like it's just onomatopoeia, but I guess it's possible the English localization people saw the similarities between that and the Marlboro name and just rolled with that for localization.

I think the inspiration for FFVI's Evil Oscar is pretty clear, though :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 13, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait, no, even better: replace Caith Sith with a second Barret. Only change his dialogue so he speaks in the same style as Barrett. Never explain it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Has that ever been confirmed? I always thought the connection with Marlboro cigarettes is coincidental. FFWiki claims the name comes from the Latin "malum" ("bad," the origin of the English prefix 'mal-') and Greek "boros." The wiki says "boros" means "breath" but all sources I find says it means "eating," so that's probably not true.

The katakana for it is....similarish to that for Marlboro. I'm not exactly the best at deciphering what katakana means sometimes, but I'd probably make it out as Morlboru, (Marlboro in katakana is Maruboro, Malboro is from Moruboru), if I was looking at it from scratch and was thinking it was a reference to Marlboros.

There's really no need to change the localized name, though, and doing so is just ~glorious nippon~ stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

They also change "moogle" to "moguri" which I feel is just a loving insufferable thing to do.

This is always, always the number one indication of a terrible fan translation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

We're talking about FFVII here right? Isn't the only Moogle that one Gold Saucer minigame?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

We're talking about FFVII here right? Isn't the only Moogle that one Gold Saucer minigame?

Chocobo + Mog and the thing Cait Sith rides.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There's also Snow Mogs in the snowboarding mini game (as obstacles to dodge), but I don't know if they're ever actually named in game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

"Guys guys, we need a new traitor dude because the old traitor dude was too silly and wacky."

"Hmmmm... Let's name him after Jesus' apostles and make his first name the one who betrayed him. LICK MY BOOTS, SQUARE ENIX!"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's also Snow Mogs in the snowboarding mini game (as obstacles to dodge), but I don't know if they're ever actually named in game.

Ok, I will admit that referring to moogles as "mogs" in FFVII annoyed me. Mog is the name of A moogle, not of the entire race. But changing it to moguri or whatever is retarded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

"Guys guys, we need a new traitor dude because the old traitor dude was too silly and wacky."

"Hmmmm... Let's name him after Jesus' apostles and make his first name the one who betrayed him. LICK MY BOOTS, SQUARE ENIX!"

To be fair, based on the names in FFXV, S-E would probably go "sure, sounds great!"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, based on the names in FFXV, S-E would probably go "sure, sounds great!"

Fair point, but with Square Enix doing it, it's got a certain amount of dopey charm to it. It just sounds heavy handed and stupid when it's done by internet folk trying to make the largely goofy game as depressing as the expanded universe.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Another note, on them replacing Cait Sith because "It just doesn't fit", they try to make the point that the character was probably shoe horned in at the last moment. Which is another point where they know gently caress all about the game they claim to love, or they're trying to rip concept stuff off without letting anyone know (and making it extra stupid). The Ultimania books are generally kind of whack with story extension stuff (Final Fantasy VII's world was settled by space traveling Spirans!), but they're pretty good about concept storylines/art/etc. Basically early design work.

Cait Sith was there pretty much from the start. It was still a spy operated by Reeve, except in the original concept it was essentially a living being, as Reeve started as someone with the power to breath life into inanimate objects and control them from great distances. It also pretty much went through the same exact "Starts as a spy, then starts being torn between Shinra and AVALANCHE, then fully turning to their side" arc.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If he wanted to keep Cait Sith but be spergy about it, he'd change the spelling to be like how it's pronounced.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
so does trance kuja counterattack because if so that is poo poo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lessail posted:

so does trance kuja counterattack because if so that is poo poo

When his HP gets low, he gets a counter.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

When his HP gets low, he gets a counter.

great that means i almost won when he did like both flares to kill me

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

If he wanted to keep Cait Sith but be spergy about it, he'd change the spelling to be like how it's pronounced.

Ugh, it's Gaelic you plebs, don't you know how to pronounce Gaelic?

Heh, heh, you probably called them "moo-gulls" too. It's actually "moe-gur-ee" in glorious Nippon.

Yeah I'd be feeling pretty stupid too if I were you right now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BloodWulfe posted:

Ugh, it's Gaelic you plebs, don't you know how to pronounce Gaelic?

Heh, heh, you probably called them "moo-gulls" too. It's actually "moe-gur-ee" in glorious Nippon.

Yeah I'd be feeling pretty stupid too if I were you right now.

Thank you, milord translator, we are all simple peasants compared to thee, oh mightiest of Rosetta Stone users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Crimson Harvest posted:

So Cat poo poo? (Kidding, I actually love the goofball)

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god, I didn't see Crime Hazard, that's loving amazing.

I absolutely love the idea of going "hmm, this is the attack where Cloud does a giant rising slash. Clearly the word they were going for was Crime."

This translation is a crime hazard.

I eagerly await the end result. At least it should be more entertaining than the dry Sky Render retranslation of FF6.