Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think a lot of the fun of Part 4 comes from the Araki going a bit hogwild on what Stands can do. Unlike Star Platnium's ability of stopping time and punching things real good, Crazy Diamond can "return things to their original state" which is used really well when Josuke needs to do things like track a murderer or find out why Okuyasu's stomach just exploded.

Stands can now do all sorts of crazy things, not just things that hurt the other guy like place sound effects, make really good food, swap faces or be a giant transmission tower that imprisons you for life. The possibilities are endless!

It also saddens me greatly that Yukako's Stand, Love Deluxe was never used after it's first appearance because that is a fantastic name and a Stand that is just hair is a pretty sweet ability

Also, Josuke is the best JoJo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Also the Italian restaurant is the best chapter in the whole series.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's interesting how every Joestar up until Part 7 is very reactive: They have a pretty solid thing going on until an evil force threatens that and they get up and get ready to fix things back. The major exceptions are Giorno who like his Dadcula wants to exert his will in order to make his world better for him and the protagonists of the rebooted world who come into the story actually disabled in some way.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

darealkooky posted:

I guess my thing is that while everyone always talks about how awesome it was that it wasn't just people fighting all the time and was instead anime dudes doing random stuff, it's actually totally about people fighting all the time.

I mean just looking at the chapters, like 80% of part 4 is spent on long as hell fights against stand users that take an entire volume or so, including a bit near the end where thefive loving volumes in a row are just "welp, I was walking down the street and it turns out that kira's dad made another stand user, now we have to fight I guess" between the odd couple chapters of kira doing stuff as a way to pad for time between the big reveal of kira's house and the ending. Part 3's breakneck pace in introducing stand users pre-egypt gets a lot of flak, but at least if you weren't feeling a fight you had solace in knowing it was over soon.

Literally nothing is at stake besides that part 4 gets to continue in these fights, it's not like other parts where winning will advance some sort of goal because the only good guys that actually give a poo poo about looking for akira/kira are jotaro and rohan who don't do anything, while everyone else would rather buy shoes or something. There's only four times in all of part 4 (besides ironically most of the bits involving kira, which as I said before are really well done) where "someone stumbled across a stand user while going about their boring day and now they must fight or whatever" isn't the plot, and that's italian food (four chapters out of 19 volumes), the ghost alley, the alien guy and koichi's boring as gently caress girlfriend who gets two goddamn volumes for some reason.

There's a difference between having a chill tone and having nothing happen, and it isn't helped that whenever part 4 actually feels like having a plot again it just raises all sorts of questions or is otherwise kinda underwhelming (again, outside of kira himself).

Overall it just felt like parts 1-3 were on some level planned from the start, while with part 4 araki just went "gently caress, I have this super popular series suddenly, what do I do now?" and just wrote whatever he felt like that week

I don't understand, you just listed off every reason Part 4 owns.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I mean just looking at the chapters, like 80% of part 4 is spent on long as hell fights against stand users that take an entire volume or so, including a bit near the end where thefive loving volumes in a row are just "welp, I was walking down the street and it turns out that kira's dad made another stand user, now we have to fight I guess" between the odd couple chapters of kira doing stuff as a way to pad for time between the big reveal of kira's house and the ending. Part 3's breakneck pace in introducing stand users pre-egypt gets a lot of flak, but at least if you weren't feeling a fight you had solace in knowing it was over soon.

You forgot the other key difference between 3 and 4, which is that even the "filler" fights in 4 were actually really loving good

Yukako is literally the only flaw of Part 4.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Star Platinum posted:

Don't even play, I could post all sorts of great panels from basically every single fight in crusaders besides like, the moon and the sun.

Part 4 has all sorts of silly poo poo in it, like how araki needs to give every flimsy reason possible for why joseph and jotaro don't beat everyone up in the span of 10 minutes.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

darealkooky posted:

Don't even play, I could post all sorts of great panels from basically every single fight in crusaders besides like, the moon and the sun.

Part 4 has all sorts of silly poo poo in it, like how araki needs to give every flimsy reason possible for why joseph and jotaro don't beat everyone up in the span of 10 minutes.

Yes, teenager with bad attitude punches man in 18 different ways is way more interesting than poo poo like highway star or superfly. I definitely agree with this good and cool opinion. :thumbsup:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Uznare posted:

Yes, teenager with bad attitude punches man in 18 different ways is way more interesting than poo poo like highway star or superfly. I definitely agree with this good and cool opinion. :thumbsup:

lamo

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The next jojo should be like a businessman or an accountant I think.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

all jojo parts are bad

DrPaper posted:

The next jojo should be like a businessman or an accountant I think.

have you read Accountant of the North Star yet?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I got my friend into Jojo's a while back and he ended up making this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RruFFrbCpcs
I haven't seen what the original footage is from but something tells me it'd make about the same amount of sense in context.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

cmykjester posted:

He was too dumb to die.

I'm inclined to believe this is the actual reason.

Moltrey posted:

It also saddens me greatly that Yukako's Stand, Love Deluxe was never used after it's first appearance because that is a fantastic name and a Stand that is just hair is a pretty sweet ability

She uses it briefly when she realizes the Cinderella lady has been modifying her body.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She uses it briefly when she realizes the Cinderella lady has been modifying her body.

I hoped she'd actually use her powers to do something interesting in a fight, a la Bayonetta, but she didn't. In the end, there were so many other interesting characters in Part 4 we didn't see enough of and I would totally sacrifice things like the rat hunting part for just some of the side characters getting a fight.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

drat, I had just about forgotten the rat hunting part.

I would kill a baby for more Tonio.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

the rat sniper bit actually owned really hard sorry you all have bad taste

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

ZeroCount posted:

the rat sniper bit actually owned really hard sorry you all have bad taste

I would have liked the rat part better if it wasn't Jotaro and Josuke but instead trying to defeat rats with the power of Italian cooking and guilt.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

if you dont like seeing the main characters do stuff theres always part 5

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Araki probably had planned to do more with the Morioh characters, but supposedly his publisher was pushing him to move the story along quicker.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Star Platinum posted:

You forgot the other key difference between 3 and 4, which is that even the "filler" fights in 4 were actually really loving good

What was wrong with Yukako? She was batshit nuts and probably the first satirization of tsundere archetypes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

What was wrong with Yukako? She was batshit nuts and probably the first satirization of tsundere archetypes.

No she's not. She's a generic yandere who never accomplishes anything, continuing the bad writing of female characters from Part 3.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

No she's not. She's a generic yandere who never accomplishes anything, continuing the bad writing of female characters from Part 3.

I thought she was basically the first yandare though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Soylentbits posted:

I thought she was basically the first yandare though.

Part 4 is not that old.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man, it doesn't seem like the Jojo dvds/blurays are selling very well, second week and they're already out of the charts.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-12/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-august-4-10/.77544

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

She gets enough pagetime devoted to her to seemingly elevate her above side character status, but not enough to develop her beyond the archetype into an actual main character. It seemed she was on the way to becoming an important ally like Okuyasu or Rohan, but Araki dropped her halfway through the part, which makes her two big story arcs feel like a waste of time upon a reread. I'm not usually one to notice a lack of important female characters in a story, but it's kind of crazy that Yukako, Reimi and Shinobu "Hayato's mom because who actually remembers her name" Kawajiri are all in contention of being the closest thing Part 4 has to a female protagonist.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Part 4 is not that old.

1992. When did the first appearance of that character archetype pop up? Genuine question. I'm just more willing to give a pass to archetype precedents.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently it appeared in Zeta Gundam in 85, though the term itself only gained widespread use around the turn of the millennium.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Araki did not invent crazy and possessive girlfriends.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Araki did not invent crazy and possessive girlfriends.

This. It was the Greeks who did.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DrPaper posted:

Nah. Gilgamesh had Ishtar.

I could have sworn I read an interview he did where he wrote Yukako specifically as a subversion to the increasingly popular tsundere archetype. Pretty much all character types can probably be traced back to some mythological story trope though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DrPaper posted:

Araki was already around at that time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Man, it doesn't seem like the Jojo dvds/blurays are selling very well, second week and they're already out of the charts.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-12/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-august-4-10/.77544

You made me panic a bit, but going back a few articles, it looks like very little actually stays in the charts past week 1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one but Otaku nerds buy anime dvds/blurays in Japan (And everywhere else, really) so no one should really be surprised.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Yukako's stories. They weren't highlights or anything, but they developed characters, had a lot of amusing moments and involved interesting stands. :shrug:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

How have the part 2 / 3 br been? I know there was a shitload of de-censoring and redraws for part 1.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I posted this in the Vita thread but the newly released Akiba's Trip has a JoJo's fighting style, complete with sick rear end poses

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I posted this in the Vita thread but the newly released Akiba's Trip has a JoJo's fighting style, complete with sick rear end poses

It's also got the iconic ghost pants from Jojos as well I see

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

quote:

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

quote:

Set in Akihabara, the shopping area has been invaded by creatures known as "Synthisters" who prey on the patrons of Akihabara like vampires, feasting on their social energy and will to live. These enemies can only be stopped by direct exposure to sunlight, meaning that the player is required to defeat these demons by stripping off their clothes and exposing them to sunlight.

quote:

I swear to god, nothing but otaku wankbait on the vita.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pomp posted:

I swear to god, nothing but otaku wankbait on the vita.

God

Damnit

Goons.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please do not take my post as an excuse to bitch about anime games and make the thread discussion somehow even worse than stand generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just sad because I thought maybe there might be something neat to play on the vita for once. :saddowns:

• Locked thread