Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Lungboy posted:

What the actual gently caress is Gavaskar on about on TMS? Saying that DRS is bad because if a team uses all its reviews up, and a player tries to review a decision, the player will be charged with dissent for questioning the umpire's decision. Surely he can't actually think that?

His ramble made absolutely no sense at all other than the bit about getting rid of challenges and leaving video referral to the discretion of the umpires, a good idea imo as challenging the umpire "just isn't cricket".

If this series has taught us anything it is how poo poo umpires are and that DRS is vital at the top level. Now umpires are used to having it available to fall back on the standard of decision making is only going to go down is games where it is unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We already knew DRS improves decision making, even before you factor in the poor decisions that get fixed. It was one of the main arguments in favour.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
At least people have stopped doing the "run down the track to spin because they can't give you out" thing so much.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

At least people have stopped doing the "run down the track to spin because they can't give you out" thing so much.

Yeah the first version where the umpires couldn't use the predicted path was just stupid.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The worry is that if you give umpires control of the DRS they will err on the side of caution and review everything, slowing the game down. That's what happened in the World XI v Australia super test in 2006 (remember that?).

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

The worry is that if you give umpires control of the DRS they will err on the side of caution and review everything, slowing the game down. That's what happened in the World XI v Australia super test in 2006 (remember that?).

It was poo poo and should be struck from the records. Obviously, it wasn't on terrestrial TV so those outside cricket couldn't see it.

Caught the end of the Sri Lanka/Pakistan game on what I think was a streamed English language Pakistani feed? They managed to squeeze in three adverts between overs, along with various on-screen adverts for mobile phones while the game was on. Some world class time wasting from Pakistan, but the good guys* won in the end.

*I quite like Pakistan generally, but twatting around doing up shoelaces etc hoping for bad light/rain leaves a sour taste in the mouth I think.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Gambrinus posted:

It was poo poo and should be struck from the records. Obviously, it wasn't on terrestrial TV so those outside cricket couldn't see it.

Caught the end of the Sri Lanka/Pakistan game on what I think was a streamed English language Pakistani feed? They managed to squeeze in three adverts between overs, along with various on-screen adverts for mobile phones while the game was on. Some world class time wasting from Pakistan, but the good guys* won in the end.

*I quite like Pakistan generally, but twatting around doing up shoelaces etc hoping for bad light/rain leaves a sour taste in the mouth I think.

The funny thing is that they lost with two reviews available so they didn't even stall as effectively as they could.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sky managed to review the broad decision and communicate to them on the field to use the review before they ran out of time to ask for one in the broad is a poo poo bloke chicanery so I don't see why they couldn't speed the process up a little.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

tanglewood1420 posted:

As long as teams are getting in 90 overs a day I don't see the problem. Not that they can manage it currently, but that's easily fixed with harsher penalties like free runs or the captain not playing the next day.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGxU5y1OlYk

My favourite thing about this video of the end of Sri Lanka v Pakistan is when the commentator says that as far as he's concerned it's way darker than when they went off for light on day one. It's a thrilling match situation where they're racing against the potential for rain and he wanted them to loving go off because of bad light.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The BCCI hasn't reimbursed IPL teams for playing in the UAE during this year's tournament...

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/sport/cricket/Clear-our-UAE-dues/articleshow/39919103.cms

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

The BCCI hasn't reimbursed IPL teams for playing in the UAE during this year's tournament...

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/sport/cricket/Clear-our-UAE-dues/articleshow/39919103.cms

I am not too sure why they are worried about getting their money, it says right in the article that "The promise to reimburse our expenses was made by BCCI president N Srinivasan himself"

They should sleep soundly, that money is in the bank

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

EMC posted:

I am not too sure why they are worried about getting their money, it says right in the article that "The promise to reimburse our expenses was made by BCCI president N Srinivasan himself"

They should sleep soundly, that money is in the bank

Well the cheque is in the mail at least...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
At the end of that artcile, it says the next IPL is in 2016. Is that a mis-print or is there no IPL next year?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

World cup.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Scylo posted:

My favourite thing about this video of the end of Sri Lanka v Pakistan is when the commentator says that as far as he's concerned it's way darker than when they went off for light on day one. It's a thrilling match situation where they're racing against the potential for rain and he wanted them to loving go off because of bad light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjHxYIF7h4

Steve Bucknor's greatest moment, IMO.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Ajmal has been reported for throwing.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/8/11/saeed-ajmal-reported-for-suspected-illegal-bowling-action

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Considering Steve Bucknors reputation, I was expecting him to take them off with 2 runs needed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Someone's obviously sent a memo around.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
If Ajmal is out when we tour in November I'd almost rate our chances. Not really, we'll cave to Rehman or whoever the gently caress they bring in

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

I liked this from the Cricinfo commentary guy during the recent test:

SID: "Saeed Ajmal came to bat with half sleeves shirt but now bowling with a full one. Any specific reason for that????"------ Let's no go there.. let's say it's one of the tools necessary for all offspinners these days

:laugh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Saffers aren't beating the Zimbers as comfortably as I thought they would.

They're still winning, but Amla out for 4 and ABdV for 7? Shameful. Should have had a ton each.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I can't imagine a South African side choking. Are you sure you're reading the scorecard correctly?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Top scorers Faf and Qock. It's disgusting.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
faff de kock

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I hope de Kock remains not out.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

quote:

"He's one of those characters who, the more criticism he gets, the more determined he becomes," Moores said. "He just gets steelier. He would openly admit that he's had a really tough ride. But that often can forge somebody into something special.

I'm really baffled by all this "inner steel" rhetoric with Cook.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The stick up his arse is so inflexible they're assuming it's made of steel.

Southy
Nov 18, 2012

Brett824 posted:

I'm really baffled by all this "inner steel" rhetoric with Cook.

He looks a bit like the new Superman, so it's just making it easier for the press to go with the 'Man of Steel' headlines.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
The inner steel is a lump of metal lodged in his cricketing brain.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

The stick up his arse is so inflexible they're assuming it's made of steel.

Steel is actually quite flexible :spergin: Given Cook's stiff batting, lack of movement, and cemented feet, I'd say his inner clay has hardened to a brittle state.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Unimpressed posted:

Steel is actually quite flexible :spergin:

Depends what type of steel it is! :spergin:

In actual cricket news, Kaneria has had his appeal against his lifetime ban refused by the Court of Appeal. I assume he'll try to take it higher.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 12, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is more what I expected from Saffers/Zimbers. Steyn's ended up with 8 wickets at 10.5

Good debut for Piedt as well, nice early-career stats-padding 8 at 19.0

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Just a video of Guptill taking an all right catch I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcj1mhUkZGk

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i hope someone kills that australian commentator in front of his family

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

thehappyprince posted:

i hope someone kills that australian commentator in front of his family

Haha that is Danny Morrison. Born a kiwi, technically. Was the phantom before the phantom.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I assume he's talking about the bloke introducing the clip because Danny Morrison is the best part of T20 cricket.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

new zealand is effectively australia let's be honest

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Well, England do struggle against our pace attack, I can see where you're confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

got any stats to back up that outlandish claim lad?

• Locked thread