Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I scored in the 99th percentile on the TEAS, but I was coming from a strong background in biology from high school. However, my school puts less emphasis on the TEAS than others. Their philosophy is to weed out weak students once in the program, rather than preventing them from getting in.

This is counter to another nursing program in my state, which is widely known to be harder to get into, but much easier once you are in.

My school has almost a 33% attrition rate (almost 1 in 3 students will drop due to stress or failure) but of those who complete the program, it boasts a 98% 1st time pass rate for the NCLEX.

The suggestions for a study guide are excellent. Make sure it is relatively recent. The nursing office of your school should be able to suggest a good guide, and there may be a copy you can borrow in your school's library. This has the added benefit of getting your face into the nursing office.

Good luck, and get ready to buckle down. There's a LOT of studying in your future if you want to succeed in nursing school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
Just received a C in chemistry, kind of freaking out because that brings my GPA below a 3.0. I still have anatomy and micro biology to take so I suppose I could bring my GPA back up but I'm still worried. Are there many schools that accept a lowish GPA? Trying to get my BSN, I also have a few years clinical experience as an ER tech.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Agrocrag posted:

Just received a C in chemistry, kind of freaking out because that brings my GPA below a 3.0. I still have anatomy and micro biology to take so I suppose I could bring my GPA back up but I'm still worried. Are there many schools that accept a lowish GPA? Trying to get my BSN, I also have a few years clinical experience as an ER tech.

It really depends on the school.

Like I said above, mine is easier to get into because the staff feel that bad students are not necessarily going to make bad nurses. While I scored in the 99th percentile on the TEAS, I came in with a 2.7GPA (2.2 when I graduated HS) because I was having a real tough time with school-related anxiety.

So again, its all gonna depend on the school.

But as for chemistry specifically, we really haven't used that much so far in my (2 year) program.

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
Thank you that's good to hear. I'm willing to relocate for a school that will accept me, so I figure that will increase my odds of getting in somewhere. Private schools are also an option because I'm getting some financial help from my folks.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
We took the final for our fundamentals class and then.. 11 people failed. Out of 53. They have to come back and repeat the summer course next year. Woof. Well at least it is only 4 weeks.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
I get to turn in a co worker for violating HIPPA today. Police officer came in with blood exposure and she looked up the prisoner's history to see if there was anything concerning in his history. There was and she told them about it. She has been a nurse for 18 years. I said something to her and she said she was just trying to help the police in an investigation.

She really should know better, and right after our conversation she put the paper she printed out in the shredder. So she knows she was wrong. I don't know if she doesn't understand that everything she does on the computer is logged, or if she thinks we won't turn her in. I don't feel I can ignore this though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LoveMeDead posted:

I get to turn in a co worker for violating HIPPA today. Police officer came in with blood exposure and she looked up the prisoner's history to see if there was anything concerning in his history. There was and she told them about it. She has been a nurse for 18 years. I said something to her and she said she was just trying to help the police in an investigation.

She really should know better, and right after our conversation she put the paper she printed out in the shredder. So she knows she was wrong. I don't know if she doesn't understand that everything she does on the computer is logged, or if she thinks we won't turn her in. I don't feel I can ignore this though.

Should she have looked in the prisoner's file at all? Or is that allowed since the cop was at risk, and she just shouldn't have told him the details? I just want to know what to do if I'm ever presented with such a situation.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

Should she have looked in the prisoner's file at all? Or is that allowed since the cop was at risk, and she just shouldn't have told him the details? I just want to know what to do if I'm ever presented with such a situation.

She shouldn't have looked at it at all. The prisoner was not our patient. You shouldn't ever look at a patient file unless you need that information for direct care of that patient.

I hate turning people in. But this nurse has screwed up before, and quite a bit recently. It will almost definitely get her fired.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Some things can be shared, under the TPO model - treatment, payment, or operations. There are also rights to disclose certain communicable diseases in the case of exposure (aids, hep c, etc). However, there is a correct channel for those disclosures, through risk management and the appropriate patient care providers.

It doesn't sound like this nurse was those proper channels.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Did my piss in a cup today. Less than two weeks until school starts!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Did my piss in a cup today. Less than two weeks until school starts!

My classes start next Wednesday :v:

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
You guys get drug tested for school? Is that common? I had a physical but no urine or blood sample.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

CancerStick posted:

You guys get drug tested for school? Is that common? I had a physical but no urine or blood sample.

Drug test + background check here.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

CancerStick posted:

we get drug tested every semester at our school...they say it's for clinicals, but who the gently caress really knows. They said there's been huge problems with students using drugs in the 3rd out of 4 semesters of nursing school.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
We get a piss test, but only one.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Pee test is good for the duration, as long as you're enrolled the whole time (take a semester off, you gotta pee in a cup again)

Also had the state requested FBI background check, plus an additional one through the school done. I think I can confidently say that I'm not a criminal.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009
Did anyone else here have to get nicotine tested for a hospital job?

I started working in a NICU last month, and I did. My boyfriend smokes an eCig, and I've admittedly smoked it occasionally. They taste pretty good. I had to sign a nicotine-free contract and all employees are nicotine tested.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

I started working in a NICU last month, and I did. My boyfriend smokes an eCig, and I've admittedly smoked it occasionally. They taste pretty good. I had to sign a nicotine-free contract and all employees are nicotine tested.

That is loving nuts.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Yep. My hospital system is nicotine free.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009
It is pretty crazy, but I kind of get both sides. I obviously passed because I don't use it enough for it to ever be detectible, but it's a little bit insane.

Anyway, I'm a new graduate and working in the field I wanted to work in (I love babies) so if anyone has any questions about school/jobs/being a new graduate, feel free to ask :)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tested, not that I'm aware of, but we're forbidden from smoking at all during the duration of our shift.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Hahahah gently caress that, legal activities and I'm off work? You don't own me, I'm an employee not a slave.

I'll drink, smoke and gently caress all I please off the clock because its my life.

I bet the CEO doesn't sign a no-nicotine policy. What garbage. Nurses who don't fight back against it are complicit in corporate over reach.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
poo poo like that is why I support unions.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Two of the biggest hospital systems in my city has this policy. Contrast that to the VA I work at and you'd be hard pressed to find a co-worker who's not a smoker. :clint:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Weebly posted:

Yep. My hospital system is nicotine free.

My hospital system is alcohol free, they test you every 3-4 months. No this is serious, guys I didn't believe it until 2 of the other student nurses who worked here told me. I did a piss test and had to pay for it, total BS. If you are going to give me a piss test, at least let me do it Army style and require a meat-gazer.... I spent too much time bottling up piss for the Army....

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The two major hospitals in my area have gone to a smoke-free policy as well for employees. Any new hires have to take a nicotine-test before being hired and will not be hired if anything is detected. Any employees hired before the policy went into affect are grandfathered in.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Roki B posted:

Hahahah gently caress that, legal activities and I'm off work? You don't own me, I'm an employee not a slave.

I'll drink, smoke and gently caress all I please off the clock because its my life.

I bet the CEO doesn't sign a no-nicotine policy. What garbage. Nurses who don't fight back against it are complicit in corporate over reach.

I don't know about being drunk on the clock (from drinking off the clock). That seems fair to be tested for that if they think you are impared.

Nicotine testing though seems insane....how about just smell you and if you can smell it change/scrub until you can't? (I've had some nurses who smell like an ashtray).

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Last year they tested us for nicotine when they did our health screenings. Anyone positive for nicotine didn't get the "smoke free" $50/mo discount on health insurance. Reason 28483 I'm happy to not work there anymore

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Last year they tested us for nicotine when they did our health screenings. Anyone positive for nicotine didn't get the "smoke free" $50/mo discount on health insurance. Reason 28483 I'm happy to not work there anymore

Yeah, by being nicotine free I receive a $45 dollar discount per paycheck on my health insurance.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Starting last year, my hospital also went to nicotine testing with our annual insurance health screening. I am not a smoker so I was able to get the $50/month discount but I have friends who are not getting the discount and are having to go through smoking cessation classes to eventually get the discount.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Any hospitals test for being a great big fat person?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Roki B posted:

I've known some "big" nurses that weren't hired for reasons I'm sure had nothing to do with their weight.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My mother's hospital has a disclaimer on their site saying they're a tobacco-free facility and by applying you understand that if you use tobacco you will not be hired. As far as I know they've never tested anyone though they do have an employee incentive program for weight loss (it's set up like a competition; whichever team loses the most gets a prize basket at the end of the month.)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Roki B posted:

http://www.texastribune.org/2012/03/26/victoria-hospital-wont-hire-very-obese-workers/

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Roki B posted:

My hospital during this annual screening does BMI and waist measurements. No penalty yet for my fatness, but I see it coming.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I was surprised my university didn't even require a drug test. Guess they have never had a past issue to require it?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

djfooboo posted:

I was surprised my university didn't even require a drug test. Guess they have never had a past issue to require it?

Far away from drugs? Where is this magical place?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

The drug test policy at my school started last year. Apparently it was demanded by our clinical sites.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Jamais Vu Again posted:

The drug test policy at my school started last year. Apparently it was demanded by our clinical sites.

"We need to know who is on what so we can find their dealer and get some for ourselves... What you guys don't want to score the good stuff?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I've read that drug addiction among nurses is a pretty big problem and has only recently gotten any attention, so maybe that has something to do with it.

It makes sense. From what I've read people are saying there's literally no incentive to seek help if you're a nurse and addict. Speaking up and saying "I need some help" is literally no different from saying "Fire me and ruin my career" so nobody seeks help and instead just tries to make it through their day without killing anyone or running out of their junk of choice.