Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like flat but gently caress that blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This might sound crazy but I often wish that my library was just the store screen, but restricted to just the games I own. I wonder if I can do that with the new customization features?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I assume this will be like tags and other stuff where if I just pay zero attention to it and do nothing, the store is pretty much going to be exactly the same outside of maybe a cosmetic overhaul? Same games in the featured items window, a spotlight window to the side and the daily deal below that, right?

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Samurai Sanders posted:

The problem is that the game presents it as being wrong, and whether I like it or not, that bothers me.

Low chaos is giving a woman to some hosed up pervert for his sex dungeon. High chaos is just killing her.

No right or wrong, just rats.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So Battlefield: Hardline has a REVOLUTIONARY new mode... Counter-Strike. 5v5, 1 life per round hostage rescue. :what:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orv posted:

So Battlefield: Hardline has a REVOLUTIONARY new mode... Counter-Strike. 5v5, 1 life per round hostage rescue. :what:
I recently learned that the Asia-only F2P version of Counter-Strike has a Battlefield mode - A huge city map with vehicles, control points, and 128 players. Now this... dogs and cats living together.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is the new Steam client update going to make it respond in less than 2 minutes every time I click something? Or is that just my lovely computer?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
In New Steam Store news, it begins! Sort of. Official game groups are being scrapped in favour of being able to "follow" a game. Not sure how it's going to affect games which gives bonuses for joining the game group (e.g. Payday 2). Also, it looks like they're going to be using small, easily-missed icons to indicate if you already own a game. But yeah, it's coming, and it looks like it's going to be soon.

PostNouveau posted:

Is the new Steam client update going to make it respond in less than 2 minutes every time I click something? Or is that just my lovely computer?

:frogon: How lovely is your computer?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Delusibeta posted:

In New Steam Store news, it begins! Sort of. Official game groups are being scrapped in favour of being able to "follow" a game. Not sure how it's going to affect games which gives bonuses for joining the game group (e.g. Payday 2).

I'm excited to see how this breaks Payday 2's "community" items, which you only get if you're part of the official group.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Any word on what needs to be done to get that refund form, or is it still forthcoming?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Delusibeta posted:

In New Steam Store news, it begins! Sort of. Official game groups are being scrapped in favour of being able to "follow" a game. Not sure how it's going to affect games which gives bonuses for joining the game group (e.g. Payday 2). Also, it looks like they're going to be using small, easily-missed icons to indicate if you already own a game. But yeah, it's coming, and it looks like it's going to be soon.

:frogon: How lovely is your computer?

It'd be hilarious if this tanks the Payday 2 giveaway stuff.

It's cool that they're going to steal a bunch of Enhanced Steam ideas without ever hiring the ES guy. Maybe someone could make a way better client and then they can steal that in 5 years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PostNouveau posted:

I have a five year old ultra-light low-power laptop. And it's still nearly instantaneous.

That doesn't sound like the Steam client, that sounds like your OS install is hosed up. Have you turned off automatic proxy configuration?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
To be fair, a lot of the Enhanced Steam stuff are things that are pretty obvious additions that competitors like GoG already implemented. And while the Enhanced Steam dude is clearly talented, creating front-end hacks that are installed by like one percent of Steam users does not mean he will be good at writing scalable back-end code that's used by 100% of Steam's users.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

That doesn't sound like the Steam client, that sounds like your OS install is hosed up. Have you turned off automatic proxy configuration?

No. What's that?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Some parts of the Steam client are astonishingly slow, even with the "disable automatic proxy" trick. It takes one-two seconds to navigate to any store/community pages. Browsing the library is instant, though - if that's where you have problems, something is wrong with your computer.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

ymgve posted:

To be fair, a lot of the Enhanced Steam stuff are things that are pretty obvious additions that competitors like GoG already implemented. And while the Enhanced Steam dude is clearly talented, creating front-end hacks that are installed by like one percent of Steam users does not mean he will be good at writing scalable back-end code that's used by 100% of Steam's users.

Yeah, they're obvious additions and the only reason something like Enhanced Steam exists is because of Valve being ridiculously slow at adding "obvious" features. It just rubs me the wrong way to see them lift ideas from him like having the price of an item on the market display when you're in your inventory.

I mean, come on now, my Steam already does this!

I'm not saying replace gaben with the dude, just maybe a little thank you somewhere or something. (Unless they have thanked him in private or whatever and I'm just being a huge retard)

Also, ES may only have been downloaded ~1 million times but I'd happily wager that it's mostly the "hardcore" user base that downloads it.

ymgve posted:

Some parts of the Steam client are astonishingly slow, even with the "disable automatic proxy" trick. It takes one-two seconds to navigate to any store/community pages. Browsing the library is instant, though - if that's where you have problems, something is wrong with your computer.

They decoupled the browser to run in it's own process to increase performance in the current beta. It's honestly kind of almost quick enough now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The funniest thing in Dishonored for me was when I realized the fully upgraded double-jump skill lifts you high enough to do drop executions.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

TheCoon posted:

They decoupled the browser to run in it's own process to increase performance in the current beta. It's honestly kind of almost quick enough now.

The browser is fast. It's Valve's web back-end that is slow. Though that might also be partially because I'm in Europe and Valve web servers are in the US.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

The funniest thing in Dishonored for me was when I realized the fully upgraded double-jump skill lifts you high enough to do drop executions.

Double-jump + blink = drop assassinate is how I killed every tallboy in the game. So much for Sokolov's advanced technology. :smug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any word on what needs to be done to get that refund form, or is it still forthcoming?
The court still has to approve it and it's happening like Spetember 17th.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Palpek posted:

The swordplay is not effective especially against a group of enemies because that was the game telling you not to do that. Open combat in Disonored is fantastic as long as you're using the whole arsenal you're given and change your position instead of pushing the purposefully boring direct sword fights. It's not the game's fault that you have 2 full ui wheels of weapons and superpowers that you refuse to use.

I used them plenty, especially the crossbow and grenades, it doesn't change that the cool razor sword you're given sucks, or that the stealth takedowns have what is essentially a 1 in 2 chance of actually doing it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Double-jump + blink = drop assassinate is how I killed every tallboy in the game. So much for Sokolov's advanced technology. :smug:
Yeah, drop assassinating tallboys is the most badass thing you can do in the game and there are even a couple of different custom animations depending from which side you're dropping.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I used them plenty, especially the crossbow and grenades, it doesn't change that the cool razor sword you're given sucks, or that the stealth takedowns have what is essentially a 1 in 2 chance of actually doing it.

Perhaps you're just not very good at the game. To say that stealth takedowns are only 50% effective is disingenuous at best, the controls are not remotely that finicky. I spent most of the game (on the hardest difficulty) blinking up behind dudes and instantly slashing they're throats, vaporizing them to dust. It was awesome. I never once encountered an issue where I needed to move slightly forward or backwards to hit some mythical 'sweet spot' that then broke stealth.

The sword is also awesome as long as you're using it properly, which is to counter attacks and perform insta-kills. Countering is not hard, the timing window is certainly more generous than in Dark Souls.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

PrinceRandom posted:

Are there any good mods for the Dawn of War series? I've got soulstorm installed.
I know this was a while back, but I wanted to point out a few mods I really like for Soulstorm. I mostly played faction mods, so that's what I can recommend. A great thing about DOW 1 is that faction mods can be used together easily, so if you want, you can play Tyranids vs Steel Legion and Dark Angels vs Black Templar, etc. Anyway, I really enjoyed:

Dark Angels - Adds the Dark Angels as a playable faction, with tons of new units. With Dark Angels, you pick one of three branches - Deathwing, Ravenwing, or a standard battle company. Each has a distinct style and its own ultimate unit. The Deathwing path focuses on Terminators, and can field a full army (including commanders) in Terminator armor. Ravenwing is based on fast attacks with bike and land speeder units, and includes a full set of commanders with bikes. The battle company is closer to standard Space Marines, but with its own units including Veterans, Devastators, and Standard Bearers. Download

Inquisition Daemonhunt - Adds the Daemonhunters as a faction, including Grey Knights and Inquisitors. The graphics look really good, and the faction has a unique feel. Grey Knight Terminators are awesome. Download

Steel Legion - Adds the Armageddon Steel Legion faction, a force of Imperial Guard with a focus on vehicles. There are a lot of new units in this mod. The infantry wear greatcoats and gas masks, and look great. The faction has some great tanks as well. I really like this faction, lots of fun to play with. Download

Tyranids - Adds a major faction that was missing from Soulstorm, the Tyranids. The faction mixes hordes of weak infantry, combined with huge monstrous creatures. Tyranids try to overwhelm the enemy with waves of cheap Gaunts, and then destroy them with the raw power of the Carnifex and Hive Tyrant. It's a great faction, and a nice compliment to the other armies in the game. Download.

Black Templar. It's a very unique Space Marine faction, with lots of interesting units and weapon options. I haven't played this much since I moved on from Soulstorm about the time it came out, but it's one I really want to use again if I were to get back into DOW. What I did play seemed really cool, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Download

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their website would crash from all the people trying to access it.

I remember a few years ago, when I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 and it had a refund form for UT2003 for about £7.50. I wasn't even bothered going through all that hassle of sending that game back in the mail.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Haha a lawsuit? Gamers are idiots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ragequit posted:

While I don't disagree with this statement, there was also some blatant false advertising going on around that game. The fact that Sega agreed to settle so quickly suggests they might be at risk of losing more unless they pay out.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Well SEGA themselves is pissed at the developer Gearbox. SEGA sued them first I believe.
Supposedly GBX used SEGA's funds and put it into Borderlands 2 or something. There is more to it than just people wanting a refund for a false advertised game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dominic White posted:

While I don't disagree with this statement, there was also some blatant false advertising going on around that game. The fact that Sega agreed to settle so quickly suggests they might be at risk of losing more unless they pay out.

Yeah. This wasn't a case of "game is not as good as I hoped I want my money back", this is a case of "footage advertised as actual in-game was blatantly not in-game and was nowhere near what it claimed" and other such terrible practices. It's especially egregious to me given that I seem to remember some other games, like Bioshock Infinite, being upfront with labeling footage as not representative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

I'm playing Smooth Operators right now and it's really annoying how this company has apparently never heard of stairs.

I do IT for a call center and had to stop playing that game because it was just a little too on the nose

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

How else do you recommend holding vendors accountable for deceptive advertising practices and poor product quality given that software typically has no refund policy or way to demo it?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PrinceRandom posted:

Shame. I know literally nothing about Warhammer but picked up the whole series on a sale (oops).

I feel like there's another strategy game that I can't name that has a resource system like Dawn of War.

Ultimate Apocalypse is pretty cool, it adds a bunch of the new races mentioned in a post above into the mod and then ramps everything up turning it into 40k: Total War essentially with massive gently caress off armies and even Titans.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

How else do you recommend holding vendors accountable for deceptive advertising practices and poor product quality given that software typically has no refund policy or way to demo it?

By not preordering games I guess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

By not preordering games I guess.

This is a good solution, but so is a lawsuit in egregious cases.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bonds0097 posted:

Perhaps you're just not very good at the game. To say that stealth takedowns are only 50% effective is disingenuous at best, the controls are not remotely that finicky. I spent most of the game (on the hardest difficulty) blinking up behind dudes and instantly slashing they're throats, vaporizing them to dust. It was awesome. I never once encountered an issue where I needed to move slightly forward or backwards to hit some mythical 'sweet spot' that then broke stealth.

It's not so much the controls, it's just crouch behind an unaware guy and hold a button, it's that sometimes Corvo would move up and do the choke-out, other times he would just move up then stand there while the guard turns around (in these cases the ability to try to choke them out would then be disabled, since the guard was alerted). After a point I just gave up and bought as many tranq darts as I could carry every time I went back to Piero for all my sneaking. The rest of the game is fine but I can't say I didn't have problems with it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a good solution, but so is a lawsuit in egregious cases.

It is, but the whole thing is still hilarious. I didn't follow the game before/during release because I think Alien is dumb, but a lawsuit over video games just makes me laugh. I would totally watch a reality show/drama about video game idiocy.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New Indie Royale "Topware Bundle" is live.

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Dream Pinball 3D for: Win, Mac - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Planets Under Attack for: Win, Mac - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Earth 2140 for: Win, Mac - Steam only
Enclave Gold Edition for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM free
Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Jack Orlando for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM free
X-Blades for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM key
3SwitscheD for: Win, Mac - Steam , Desura, DRM key
Chicken Shoot for: Win - Steam ( Gold version) , Desura, DRM key
Chicken Shoot 2 for: Win - Desura, DRM key ( Chicken Shoot 2 is part of Chicken Shoot Gold on Steam)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just hope the search revamp means you can actually search someone's name and find them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think it's good that people who lie so customers give them millions of dollars for a broken product that is very different to the one they were promised probably deserve some consequences, and given that this is a large, lucrative industry with millions of customers it's nice to know that the law can be involved. This isn't some idiot kicking off because his mario romhack got ripped off and it's not phil fish having a tantrum because someone was mean about his game. It's a AAA game with well over a million sales.

Preorders aren't necessarily a good idea, but "haha, gently caress you" and "you're in idiot for falling for their tricks" aren't really good responses to something affecting 7 figures people counts and 8 figure money numbers.

Also, that humble hidden object bundle was cool and I hope to see more of them making bundles. Bundleers, get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's a little far down on the new games list but I saw Slave Hack for a dollar so I thought I'd give it a try. My guess that it was Diablo In Space were pretty on the nose though it would have been a little nicer if it was 2 instead of even-more-barebones 1. Any tips for not dying or is it not worth it even to see it through?

• Locked thread