Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Good thing molemarians dont feel pain and I was pretty much there soaking up the majority of the whip hits, otherwise I think we might have been in serious trouble.

Yeah, your team probably would have lost if Mammarian had ever gone unconscious from the pain. As it was at the end, Van Winkle was a couple of rounds from bleeding out, and Prancer III was lying on the ground paralyzed, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I would like to say that me betting all of my money on our team gave us the advantage in morale, but seriously synthorange is probably the only reason we won.

Even so,

quote:

Prancer III stabs Urist the Boring in the neck with his large iron dagger, tearing the muscle and fracturing the upper spine's bone!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!

is still fun to read.

Edit: Wait, that happened while Prancer III was on the ground. I spent like 80% of that battle unable to stand, when I was really counting on being able to dodge. Still managed to roll around a few times, but kinda wish I had bought some pants now.

Astus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 13, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Prancer was partially crippled and had lost his weapon, but was still wrestling with Willow at the end of the match. Seriously though that goblin was crazy, taking out three opponents with that insane whip. And I thought having four feet would ensure a molemarian could do with losing one foot, but I guess that isnt the case, since I fell over as soon as it got severed.

I'll be interested in seeing Willow's next match. Was this round a lucky freak, or is that goblin onto something?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 13, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
That uh... that was one hell of a fight :stare:

Glad to see my hardly knowing what the gently caress payed off.

I mean. That was totally planned and I blame my teammates for leaving me high and dry. Learn to not die, you slackers :argh:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That was quite an amazing fight. Apparently Scourges are still goddamn wrecking balls.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Prancer was partially crippled and had lost his weapon, but was still wrestling with Willow at the end of the match. Seriously though that goblin was crazy, taking out three opponents with that insane whip. And I thought having four feet would ensure a molemarian could do with losing one foot, but I guess that isnt the case, since I fell over as soon as it got severed.

I'll be interested in seeing Willow's next match. Was this round a lucky freak, or is that goblin onto something?

To be fair, getting a foot ripped off by a goddamn blade-whip would probably cause a bit of a balance issue anyway.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ablative posted:

To be fair, getting a foot ripped off by a goddamn blade-whip would probably cause a bit of a balance issue anyway.

I really hope you guys make it through to the playoffs, I want to see what you can do with another stipend of points.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

:argh: My dwarfbucks!! Curse you, Team Bravo!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Neurion posted:

:argh: My dwarfbucks!! Curse you, Team Bravo!
If it's any consolation, I'm 4/4 on my bets now.

That was a glorious match and it makes me sad I registered for the site just a tiny bit too late to join in the tournament.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Yes! Another glorious battle, Bravo to my team mates Prancer III and Mammarian and well fought to our enemies The Good The Bad and The Bravo. The big guys really proved that they can keep on trucking through adversity, though Mammarian set an incredibly high standard for sheer endurance that will be hard to match even with our size advantage.

We all got a kill of our own, even if Van Winkle first had to kick Johnny Bravo unconscious in order to be able to accurately hit his head with the halberd.

"Van Winkle kicks Johnny Bravo in the head with his left foot, bruising the muscle, bruising the skull through the iron cap!
Johnny Bravo has been knocked unconscious!
Van Winkle slashes Johnny Bravo in the head with his bronze halberd and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Johnny Bravo has been struck down." :black101:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm feeling really secure in my choice of a molemarian seeing other fights ending with crippling pain. Or in one case a guy passing out after his lip got cut.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
On the plus side, after all those scourge-related wounds turn into scars, we will live up to our team name.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Just one last fight for this round. Let's see if it's better to have three small but skilful/well equipped fighters or a variety of sizes united only by their horrifying killing power.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Yeah, that was a very noble by the molewoman. Now, if only a CERTAIN moleperson could learn to FOLLOW THEIR EXAMPLE, perhaps their team wouldn't have lost their first match! It's always Spermy's fault. Always.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

AJ_Impy posted:

Just one last fight for this round. Let's see if it's better to have three small but skilful/well equipped fighters or a variety of sizes united only by their horrifying killing power.

I'll do the last fight tomorrow, and post it along with instructions for the commissioners on how they can run the next couple of weeks without me. My goal here is to make myself irrelevant... but we have to build up to something that audacious.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some three faction fights, or set them in a different section of the arena, or something like that.

Oh, sorry to have missed this, but by the way, this will happen automatically in this tournament if there is a three-way tie for a playoff spot after all tiebreakers after the third round is over. The difficult part is where to place the fighters on each team.

I've already verified that the betting interface can't handle that situation and I'll work on it as soon as I get the time, and it will be resolved before the official tournament is underway.

All other parts of the site can handle three-way ties and their resolution with no problems, however. Just see what happened a few years ago for evidence if you don't believe me.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Dammit Johnny Bravo! He hit Van Winkle in the spine twice with his warhammer and still failed to cripple him.

I'd say we (and by we I mean Willow/Ablative) did pretty drat well considering we were up against a minotaur and a troll.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Aw man. Urist got in some good solid hits, but prancer just wouldn't go down. It's hard to hack through a minotaur, apparently :(

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Haystack posted:

Aw man. Urist got in some good solid hits, but prancer just wouldn't go down. It's hard to hack through a minotaur, apparently :(

Yeah those big guys can sure take a beating. Even so I'd like to congratulate The Ugly Ones for their victory and I hope to see you do well. I have high hopes for our team in the future too! This has been a neat tournament altogether so far. I find it a little surprising that so many teams are winning 3-0 though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Silverminnow posted:

Yeah those big guys can sure take a beating. Even so I'd like to congratulate The Ugly Ones for their victory and I hope to see you do well. I have high hopes for our team in the future too! This has been a neat tournament altogether so far. I find it a little surprising that so many teams are winning 3-0 though.

If you count guys who are out of the fight by means of knockout or crippling (but not executed yet) as casualties, it's a lot different than it looks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Silverminnow posted:

I find it a little surprising that so many teams are winning 3-0 though.

I do too. I honestly thought it would be a lot more like 3-2.

One guy with the right type of armor messes up the "naked and skilled" crowd for sure. In our fight Paper hit Whip It four or five times and didnt get through the armor. My moleman and Love hit the iron-covered tiger a whole lot and nothing got through which resulted in a 3-0 loss for us. Tanks certainly have their place here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey if you look at the fight, everyone on the winning team was crippled at the end, and only Van Winkle was upright. Everyone else was squirming around on the ground to fight.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tanks certainly have their place here.

Yeah this makes me wonder if it would have even been better for me to go full steel armor and a shield and have lovely skills just so I could keep somebody busy for a while. This is the kind of stuff that has me excited for the new thread! With so many different tournaments going on I'll be able to test a bunch of things in a fun way.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I do too. I honestly thought it would be a lot more like 3-2.

One guy with the right type of armor messes up the "naked and skilled" crowd for sure. In our fight Paper hit Whip It four or five times and didnt get through the armor. My moleman and Love hit the iron-covered tiger a whole lot and nothing got through which resulted in a 3-0 loss for us. Tanks certainly have their place here.

In our fight, every attack aimed at Whip It Out that didn't do damage was either dodged or parried. Armor didn't come into play for him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

In our fight, every attack aimed at Whip It Out that didn't do damage was either dodged or parried. Armor didn't come into play for him.

You're correct, I forgot that Paper turned and swung at the iron-tiger once which deflected from iron mail.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm feeling the need for some more bloodsheeeed!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: TRIPLE POST EXTRAVAGANZA, Featuring "How To Be A Commissioner" :siren:

For those who have volunteered to be a commissioner for the test league, here is what you will need to do.

:siren: If you aren't a commissioner, just skip ahead to the second of these three posts, unless you're really interested in what goes on behind the scenes. :siren:

First, from the site, if you've been given Commissioner permissions, you will see a Manage Tournaments link under a new heading, Commissioners, in the left menu pane. Select this. Note: It won't be there yet, I'll set it up for you when the next round starts.

From here, it will allow you to select from among currently active tournaments (since more than one tournament could potentially be active at a time). You'll want to select the only available choice, which is the current Test League season.

This will select the next fight in the tournament. As a commissioner, you'll need be able to see everyone's skills and equipment. We trust you will not abuse this.

There will be links to each of the available fighter macros on this page. You'll want to download all of these, and put them in the df_40_06_arena/data/init/macros folder, first deleting any old macros that might be in the macros folder already. And please make sure you're using the version of Dwarf Fortress available on the site to run these fights!

At the very bottom of the page will be a small form to choose the winner of the match. You'll want to leave the page open for now, because we'll be running the fights first.

Next, open up the Dwarf Fortress program, select Object Testing Arena, and immediately pause the game.

We'll want to leave the temperature at the default (at least for this tournament), the Conflict Level at No Quarter, and Morale/Fear at Off, so do not modify these values.

Press k for the Look Around / Create menu, then move the mouse cursor to the top row of the leftmost column of the circular arena.

Here you'll want to press c for Create a Creature. Once the Create a Creature menu is up, press d to select Side #1, then press Ctrl-L to load a macro, then select the macro of the first fighter on the first team in the match (in this case, Fast'n Loose), and press ENTER.

After selecting that fighter, press Ctrl-P to run the macro. Check to see whether the items were created correctly (I've seen Dwarf Fortress fail to do this a couple of times with valid macros, clicking on a different window while the macro is running is one thing that appears to cause it to fail) -- if the items were not created correctly, hit ESC, then c to create a new creature and try it all again. Assuming everything was created correctly, hit Enter to create the fighter. Then move the mouse cursor down to the next row, c to create, Ctrl-L to load (making sure NOT to press the d key to select a different side this time), Ctrl-P to run the macro, and enter. Then mouse cursor down again, c , Ctrl-L, Ctrl-P, and Enter for the third fighter. You have created Team 1.

Next, you'll move the mouse cursor to the top row of the rightmost column in the circular arena so that we can start creating Team 2.

You'll repeat the process again for the three fighters on Team 2, making sure to press the d key before creating the first fighter, to make sure that these fighters are created on Side #2.

Once everything is created, the fight is ready to run! You can advance one frame at a time and take lots of screenshots if you're in the mood to effortpost, or for the test tournament you can just do summary writeups like I've been doing with fewer screenshots. You may wish to take notes for your writeup and compare them to the gamelog when you are finished.

When you are done with this, your writeup may or may not look something like the following post, which is provided as an example. Feel free to bring your own writing style into this thing.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 30, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 1, Match 8 :siren:

Small and Mighty vs Art, Politics and other Bull

BRONZESTABBED, Dwarfhalla (Dorfsociated Press) -- The smallest team in the tournament appeared completely outmatched as Small and Mighty was defeated 3-0 by Art, Politics and other Bull in a one-sided match.

As Zwinglette missed with an opening shot from her bow, Fast'n Loose sprinted to the center of the arena to take ineffective swings at Moocules and Durm und Strangler. Durm und Strangler countered by ripping apart Fast'n Loose's arm, knocking out the kobold. Meanwhile, the goblin Mayor of Nilbog and the serpent man American President circled each other, neither one able to land an effective hit at first.

Durm flayed Fast'n Loose's head with a couple of scourge blows, then was forced to dodge an arrow from Zwinglette, allowing Moocules to get the killing blow, impaling the unconscious kobold's face with one of his horns.

The three members of Art, Politics and other Bull then all turned their attention to Mayor of Nilbog, and it was American President who landed several spear strikes, including a leg-breaking stab that knocked the goblin mayor unconscious. The snakeman then finished the job with a spear blow to the face, as Zwinglette hurriedly fumbled trying to notch one more arrow.

Moocules then charged at Zwinglette, tossing the tiny kobold into the air with his horns. What happened next may be unprecedented, as many long-time Arena watchers could not remember the last time such a thing had happened.

Zwinglette was knocked cleanly out of the entire arena by the force of Moocules's charge, as she was tossed over the wall and into the moat surrounding the arena.

The scorekeepers were not quite sure what to make of this, until Zwinglette finally drowned after thrashing about in the moat for a few minutes, upon which time a kill was awarded to Moocules.

Small and Mighty will be resurrected to take on The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo next weekend, while Art, Politics, and other Bull will be healed to take on The Ugly Ones.

Kills - Moocules 2, American President 1

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: How To Be A Commissioner, Continued :siren:

After running the fight and ending up with a result that may or may not be similar to the previous post, you will want to go into the df_40_06_arena root folder and open up the file gamelog.txt in your favorite text editor.

Starting from the end of the file, search backwards for a line that matches

pre:
** Starting New Arena **
Delete this line and anything that may be above it. What is left should be the most recent arena match you have run.

You will need to do a search-and-replace to rename the fighters that appear in this file. The gamelog will give them names like "Kobold 1", "Human 1", "Human 2", etc. by default, with numbers in the order that fighters of that race were created when setting up the fight.

Search and replace, substituting the first fighter's name for the default name that was used.

Then you'll need to do a second search and replace, substituting <fighter-name> in place of The <fighter name>, because what is generated in the gamelog can sometimes be stupid like that.

Repeat this for all of the other fighters, then save the gamelog.txt file.

Note: I've tried and tried to find a way to get the macro to automagically rename the fighters for you, but nothing works. Even temporarily taking control of the fighter just to assign a new name to him or her, and then immediately revoking control of the fighter, still doesn't work because the fighter's newly assigned name goes away as soon as you revoke control, and the name goes back to "Human 1" or whatever it was before.

Finally, we'll go back to that web page we had kept open since the beginning of the fight, select the winning team, and then press CONTINUE.

You will need to select the final score of the fight on the next page (one score per kill), and upload the gamelog.txt file you had modified.

And once all that's done, you can post your update here! Does it sound like too much work? Well, it was a lot more work than this without the site, as the commissioners had to keep track of every fighter's points, what they had spent them on, and manually create each fighter one at a time since there was nothing to automatically generate macros.

We at ArenaChallenge.com hope this has been of some help to you who wish to become commissioners. Now get out there and commish! :black101:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's a hell of a way to end a fight. :stare:

Any thoughts on the performance of bows? On one hand you had an instant kill headshot as the first move. In another match there was only enough time to fire and reload three shots before everyone was dead, and in this match only two arrows got fired. And without knowing the builds, it could just be a case of speed and skill.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

That's a hell of a way to end a fight. :stare:

Any thoughts on the performance of bows? On one hand you had an instant kill headshot as the first move. In another match there was only enough time to fire and reload three shots before everyone was dead, and in this match only two arrows got fired. And without knowing the builds, it could just be a case of speed and skill.

It does seem that skill helps you fire more rapidly, but they still only seem to get three or four shots off at the most even with really high skill. I'll play around with some testing between rounds, I'd like for them to be able to fire a little faster even at low skill levels, but I'm not sure if that's something that can be modded in.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Oh, and by the way...

:siren: BETS CAN NOW BE PLACED ON THE WEEK 2 SCHEDULE! :siren:

And speaking of the Week 2 Schedule, here it is:

Daggum Polecats vs. The Wild Animals

Lucky Team 13 vs. Team Tiny Arms

Nonindicative Name vs. Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants

Catholicism vs. Little Guys Long Spears

Cave Pals Friend Squad vs. Minotaur Mites

Meat and Two Veg vs. Platinum Helms

The Ugly Ones vs. Art, Politics and other Bull

The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo vs. Small and Mighty

And another thing... if I recall correctly, Spermy Smurf, ZeeToo, Maugrim, and Bene Elim have volunteered to be commissioners and run fights for this test tournament. Are you all still all on board? If so, I'll assign you two fights each this next round, while I sit back and rest on my laurels. :smug: :pipe:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do fighters get upgrades at any point?

Also Ugly Ones are facing an even uglier team. :stare:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Do fighters get upgrades at any point?

I believe the teams which advance to the playoffs will get extra points to spend.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ablative posted:

I believe the teams which advance to the playoffs will get extra points to spend.

Correct: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_races.php?2

Also, there are even more extra points awarded for advancing in the playoffs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ooops, I thought it was an upgrade per fight. Hope I survive long enough with these lovely skills.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Ooops, I thought it was an upgrade per fight. Hope I survive long enough with these lovely skills.

For the "official" tournament, there will be some kind of award for continued participation after each fight before the playoffs, but I'm not yet sure how I'll implement it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

SynthOrange posted:

It's going to be a tough one to call, looking forward to it. I could see it going either way, depending if we get stuck on the Molemarian.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Axel the Dark Hero is screwed. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'm not sure if The Ugly Ones vs Art, Politics and other Bull will be close at all, what with yet another scourge, but that won't stop me from betting all my money on our team.

• Locked thread