Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

so that's how nasa crashed the mars lander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

visceril posted:

I think this is describing Lean.

I'm actually not sure what the difference between lean and 6s is. Lean is all about JIT and eliminating waste through continuous improvement and value stream management/accounting. Wheras all I know about 6s is the impossible namesake goal, and process improvement diagrams. Is there anything else besides that?

Can't forget the belts. And all of the statistics involved.

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Had to take five minutes to remotely walk somebody through taking a screenshot the other day. Took another person to come over to her desk before we finally got it.
Kudos for tolerating that call for five minutes. Fifteen seconds is my threshold after doing phone support for a couple of years a decade ago. I'd rather walk to the user's desk, hijack the chair and do the screencap myself, as it saves a lot of time in the long run as well as my wanting to choke somebody in sheer frustration at how their jobs are kept when they can't perform the most remedial electronic tasks.

See also: Hey computer guru - how do I attach microsoft to my e-mail? You know I'm computer illiterate, hurrrr!:suicide:

quote:

I think you should have to re-interview for your job every 3-5 years.
And I think that's about the best idea I've heard in a long time - it would be a clear wake-up call for some people around my workplace it's time to goddamned loving retire! Additionally, skills testing and job re-application would readily establish those who are truly promotable and in which specific areas, as well as identify the office sloths who are merely there for the regular paycheck by doing just enough paper shuffling and "computer work" (playing solitaire) for getting by.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hooliganesh posted:

And I think that's about the best idea I've heard in a long time - it would be a clear wake-up call for some people around my workplace it's time to goddamned loving retire! Additionally, skills testing and job re-application would readily establish those who are truly promotable and in which specific areas, as well as identify the office sloths who are merely there for the regular paycheck by doing just enough paper shuffling and "computer work" (playing solitaire) for getting by.

We have two tiers in my department: Operator I and Operator III. (What's an Operator II? Beats me, that job title doesn't exist. I'm fine with this.)

The two jobs are basically the same thing, but the Operator IIIs have a teeny tiny extra bit of responsibility to do it. Since it's technically a promotion, the Is need to interview for the III position even though the jobs are practically the same thing.

One of the Operator Is interviewed for the III spot, and did so bad that my manager walked out of that interview red in the face in anger. He got the easiest of the gimme questions wrong, the stuff that any temp who was there more than a month is expected to know. This guy's been here for seven years. We've been complaining about how awful this guy is for ages, so personally I'm glad that something has happened to finally bring it to our management's attention since they don't listen to us.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Hideki! You have so many side dishes. Can Chii be your main course?
All right, so earlier I mentioned that we got a new CEO at the healthcare facility where I work. He is pissy about things like whether or not you are on your break, whether or not you are adhering strictly to dress code, lots of nitpicky things. (Patient care? Not a word.)

I heard that some department head went in to see him ... holding a cup of coffee.

CEO: "Are you on your break?"
Dude: "Hmm? No, I'm not."
CEO: "Then why do you have that coffee? Go put it away and come back."

I can't even react to that, it's so loving miserable. I really wish there was something I could do on my last day (FRIDAY!) that would unite our 1,000+ staff to somehow oust this cocksucker or at least make him miserable too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

On Friday wear a foam dome and put travel mugs in it. Now you can drink your coffee while both hands are free to work!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ottoman posted:

All right, so earlier I mentioned that we got a new CEO at the healthcare facility where I work. He is pissy about things like whether or not you are on your break, whether or not you are adhering strictly to dress code, lots of nitpicky things. (Patient care? Not a word.)

I heard that some department head went in to see him ... holding a cup of coffee.

CEO: "Are you on your break?"
Dude: "Hmm? No, I'm not."
CEO: "Then why do you have that coffee? Go put it away and come back."

I can't even react to that, it's so loving miserable. I really wish there was something I could do on my last day (FRIDAY!) that would unite our 1,000+ staff to somehow oust this cocksucker or at least make him miserable too.

I'm pretty sure not allowing coffee during the work day violates some sort of country law or something.

Glad to hear that you're getting out right in the nick of time to watch the whole place burn. Remember to make a few friends before you leave so you can have some secret contacts to keep you (and us) up to date.

e: then I again I have a huge problem with coffee and drink 2-3 cups a day while at work. It's the only thing that keeps me alive.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 12, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Renegret posted:

I'm pretty sure not allowing coffee during the work day violates some sort of country law or something.

You jest, but Canadian maritime regulations require that there be coffee available at all time in the wheelhouse. If it (And a host of other things) isn't available, you need to have an extra person on watch.

Presumably to fetch the coffee.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Pleads posted:

On Friday wear a foam dome and put travel mugs in it. Now you can drink your coffee while both hands are free to work!

There is no casual Friday and apparently the ACT of ingesting things means you are not working, straws or no. Even if you're working. The dude was just HOLDING his coffee.

Renegret posted:

Glad to hear that you're getting out right in the nick of time to watch the whole place burn. Remember to make a few friends before you leave so you can have some secret contacts to keep you (and us) up to date.

e: then I again I have a huge problem with coffee and drink 2-3 cups a day while at work. It's the only thing that keeps me alive.

I wish it were illegal. Don't worry, I'll keep you guys posted on the trainwreck that is to come. Did I mention they're facing another bumping/RIF situation at the end of this year? Morale is horrible enough as it is without the Hall Monitor CEO waggling his finger at everybody. I hope I never even lay eyes on the man before I leave.

Edit: Your problem is not huge. One of my coworkers finishes off almost an entire pot on his own every day.

Ottoman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 13, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Renegret posted:

2-3 is actually pretty low in the environments I've been in. I used to have 2 in the morning but would get ill if I drank any coffee after noon (that's where energy drinks take over)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pleads posted:

2-3 is actually pretty low in the environments I've been in. I used to have 2 in the morning but would get ill if I drank any coffee after noon (that's where energy drinks take over)

When I say cups, I mean my cup.

Which is a 20oz mug. I usually kill 3/4 of a pot of coffee throughout the day. I know it's not THAT much and I can do worse, but it's still far more than any of my coworkers, and more than I should be having for my good health.

At least I don't drink energy drinks, I just don't like the taste.

Ottoman posted:

There is no casual Friday and apparently the ACT of ingesting things means you are not working, straws or no. Even if you're working. The dude was just HOLDING his coffee.

I would love for this guy to see my department. We exist to put out fires. When there's no fires to put out, I have nothing to do but drink coffee and surf the web.

(Yes I know it sounds like I should be studying for certs for further advancement during down time, but when I'm using my brain I tend to get tunnel vision and am completely unable to keep one eye on my tools like I'm supposed to)

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

visceril posted:

I think this is describing Lean.

I'm actually not sure what the difference between lean and 6s is. Lean is all about JIT and eliminating waste through continuous improvement and value stream management/accounting. Wheras all I know about 6s is the impossible namesake goal, and process improvement diagrams. Is there anything else besides that?

It's fun and games when management decides that Lean is all the rage and goes fully JIT in business that relies on building bespoke equipment and often has spares that need to be delivered on an emergency basis - end result "emergency" delivery is the same as "standard" delivery because raw material is not kept on stock for anything so you cede the market for all emergency replacement parts to your competition. :eng101:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

It's fun and games when management decides that Lean is all the rage and goes fully JIT in business that relies on building bespoke equipment and often has spares that need to be delivered on an emergency basis - end result "emergency" delivery is the same as "standard" delivery because raw material is not kept on stock for anything so you cede the market for all emergency replacement parts to your competition. :eng101:

Ok, yeah, there's you're problem. Your using Business 1.0 accounting.

Now, if you'll upgrade over here to :smug:Business 2.0

*fumbles with clicker to get to the next slide*

You'll see here that this disruptive model of ~*value stream accounting*~ shows that we're actually having better margins than last year! You just need to learn to see the bigger picture and think outside the box.

*ignores the bigger picture that while margins have gone up actual profits have tanked due to severely contracted market share*

*is promoted to SVP*

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

My company uses a lean system with demand that can spike based on factors that are not easy for us to predict. Result is a constant crisis for the ops people and on our yearly employee feedback survey ops associates ding with a VERY STRONGLY DISAGREE for "The resources I need to do my job are available to me". Every. loving. Year. It's hell on ops people but we have our market pretty well cornered so customers don't have the option to just go somewhere else so finance thinks this is just awesome. I think they could stand to ease up on that and do a mixed approach but we're owned lock stock and barrel by a corporate parent that pushes this poo poo on everyone they own. There's a little wiggle room but you are pressured to tighten up on the inventory all the time. There are quite a few vendors that are so rare and special that if they went under, had a fire, went on strike; it would bring us to our knees in short order.

All told the corporate parent pushes the 6 sigma poo poo on us pretty hard all tailored to their corp speak and cultural indoctrination. I like kaizen and stuff where you chase process and improve it. I think the main thing is they use people that work here and don't use outsiders to impose changes. When we form teams there is always a balance between local expertise, stakeholder and a few people with outside perspective. I've seen it work wonders and people do request kaizens for their duties and processes.

What I don't like is the productivity increases don't yield a drat dollar for anyone but the stockholders. We all get to keep our jobs another year, yay! :-|

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

visceril posted:

*ignores the bigger picture that while margins have gone up actual profits have tanked due to severely contracted market share*

*is promoted to SVP*

I'm happy my boss recognizes my stance on this. I have higher-ups who insist on painting happy pictures about financials so as to get board approval. I have become a little vocal that I do not like to lie about actual results. The boss never has me come close to meetings where I might voice my dissent.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi, it's me again, with an update!
I used to work in a client-service oriented accounting position. I had a meeting with my boss's boss and asked about maybe making a lateral move within the company. She indicated that wouldn't be happening. I handed in my resignation letter the next day. She called me back to her office and asked what she needed to do to make me stay. I asked to be moved to a different department immediately. Since the department I was moving from was already short staffed, after all was confirmed with my new director, she said I would spend the first 4 hours of the day in the first dept. and the last part of the day in QA for the first 3 months of the arrangement and then I would be full time QA after that.

So now I'm half in the understaffed consulting department where they all resent me for leaving after part of the day and half in the understaffed IT department where so far they seem happy to have the extra help! And I'm enjoying it so far, since I already have the skillset (SQL, selenium, all that poo poo). Sure, I might be marked as a flight risk and never given a promotion ever, but since I don't actually have job experience with this kind of a position, I can just slum it here for a bit and then move on.

There's a person in an entirely different department altogether with whom I've been taking lunches. I was throwing a party this weekend and decided to invite her. Coincidentally on the day of the party a close friend of mine may have broken his back. This cast a dark mood on our mutual friends so the party ended up canceled. Work person neither showed up nor sent any message until a few hours after the party was supposed to start. She texted me all apologetic for forgetting to show up. I texted her saying not to worry as the whole thing was scrapped.

So of course when I come in to work, the person I hate the most, the one who has been bitchy to me since more than a year ago, says "I heard you threw a party this weekend and nobody showed up!"

What the gently caress? Outside of the person I invited also being a gossipy cretin who I won't be going to lunch with any longer, what is this, high school? Can I report this to HR? I'm so fukkin mad you have no idea.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xibanya posted:

What the gently caress? Outside of the person I invited also being a gossipy cretin who I won't be going to lunch with any longer, what is this, high school? Can I report this to HR? I'm so fukkin mad you have no idea.

Don't get sucked in. Don't get sucked in.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Xibanya posted:

No, it's not high school: where I work we call it "the seventh grade mean girls' club." Women can be vicious bitches. Especially when they are loving adults and still in goddamn cliques.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't get sucked in. Don't get sucked in.

Follow this person's advice. Drama is not just the ender of careers - before that happens it will make your life absolutely miserable beyond anything you've ever known.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Wow, this is great. Please get sucked in and then post all the drama because it can only get better from here. :munch:

Honestly, the girl was mostly miffed she wasn't invited and your response should have been something along the lines of "Well, actually one of my close friends that was supposed to come broke his back and might die so being a close-knit group we decided to cancel. It is all very upsetting to me."
This will send the message that she was not invited because she is not part of your own clique (and the other person is!) and that she was a bitch for misunderstanding and trying to make light of a horrible situation.

Final thing on dress-codes, the White House hired Mikey Dickerson to work on their websites. He only wears t-shirts and hates dress codes, claiming that it will chase away the tech people that you need to run a decent business.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250329/White_House_s_new_IT_engineer_is_sharp_witty_and_blunt_

Keetron fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 13, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xibanya posted:

It probably wasn't phrased in any way that would be actionable. Being catty isn't really a workplace offense, just a crime against sensibility. If you two work on the same team, you might want to see about moving to another one, but unless she's harassing you HR will just say "uh huh" and forget it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So yesterday I was handed a sample to work on that is fairly involved and will basically cost someone in my group half a day. Since my team is about 2.5 people with enough work for 4 we usually ask if requests really need to be done within three days or if they can wait a bit longer. I Also notice the person who submitted the sample forgot some paper work I need to start the sample. No problem, I ask the requester for the paper work, they say its not their job to find paperwork, its the project chemists job. I speak to the project chemist, they say its the requesters' job to find the paper work i need to start the sample, I then asked about when they need it by and got a 30 minute rant about how they don't need it by the due date they put on the request but they need it before the end of the month, however they don't know when they will needed it. Go to boss ad tell him about this adventure, he says "It's not your job to find paper work, but just go and find it anyways so we can have the sample done in three days."

Apparently its my job to do things that are not my job

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xibanya posted:

"What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about your job before you started it?"

That working in an office would be just like high school.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Xibanya posted:

Separate your personal life from work. Do not socialize with coworkers outside of lunches/happy hours and other social events where it's just work people. Your life will be so much better.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Xibanya posted:

So of course when I come in to work, the person I hate the most, the one who has been bitchy to me since more than a year ago, says "I heard you threw a party this weekend and nobody showed up!"

In deference to the person you invited, it's possible they were asked what they did over the weekend and they just mentioned they almost went to your party but it got canceled. This person you hate maybe heard that and twisted it into "no one showed up" all on their own.

But don't get involved.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So related to, "Never eating lunch with that fucker again" this was fun. When I first started working this job a few months back I went out to lunch with a coworker and obviously the topic of why I left my old job came up. I told him about how my old boss hosed me over royal during negotiations (he gave me a counter-offer when I had another job lined up then reneged once the position was no longer available to me) and I decided to bail. Guess what he decided would be a ~*fantastic*~ thing to talk about at the happy hour with my boss last night?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
When I was interning some slimy gently caress back stabbed a girl who was trying to decide between getting a math PHD and working by casually asking her in front of te manager "hey, so how did the GRE go?" with a :smuggo: look on his face, because there were a limited number of spots for interns to get offers and he wanted to eliminate the competition.

She didn't get the offer but she's happier in grad school according to FB so I guess it worked out.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

visceril posted:

When I was interning some slimy gently caress back stabbed a girl who was trying to decide between getting a math PHD and working by casually asking her in front of te manager "hey, so how did the GRE go?" with a :smuggo: look on his face, because there were a limited number of spots for interns to get offers and he wanted to eliminate the competition.

She didn't get the offer but she's happier in grad school according to FB so I guess it worked out.
And she learned a lesson about not showing your cards.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Never go to HR about catty coworkers since they're usually the cattiest of them all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Aristotle Animes posted:

Separate your personal life from work. Do not socialize with coworkers outside of lunches/happy hours and other social events where it's just work people. Your life will be so much better.

Don't do this, some of my closest friends are coworkers that I socialized with outside of business functions. Just don't be afraid to drop someone who is an rear end.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Don't do this, some of my closest friends are coworkers that I socialized with outside of business functions. Just don't be afraid to drop someone who is an rear end.

It's not like I don't have my intimates at work who I take personal interest in. I have a very small, highly ambitious team I work with and we socialize at drinks dos, dinners, travel together, do team building poo poo. In short we spend a lot of close time together but we all draw the line because there is something to be valued in recognizing that this is a professional relationship and we all have to shut it down for any number of reasons including I don't want you to know EVERYTHING about me. If you are down because your marriage is in shambles, it's fine if I know that and I'm concerned for you (not the slightest reason for work related sensitivities and how much i can count on you right now but..) but I do not want to get involved in the messy details of your lovely husband getting upset because you found out he's having an affair and then you hosed a mutual friend of ours la la la la I DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

Then there is just the cliquish exclusionary poo poo where people get pissed because you "drop someone who is an rear end".. ooo he's hanging with so and so but doesn't talk to so and so and they unfriended that person on facebook... High school anyone? You have to keep working with these people.

It's a personal choice. I go over to my boss' house for dinner. My teammates and I (for the most part) enjoy each other's company for a laugh and relaxation but when we do so, it's a work thing.

but i guess we disagree on dressing professionally at work so, we're just different in the way we regard work.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 13, 2014

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I got passed up for a promotion today for no good reason. I was literally told in my feedback meeting that I aced the online tests, had a great interview, I do loads of work already that is basically the same as the new position, I get on well with everyone/other departments, and they know I would do a fantastic job. But they decided to go with the other applicant because "they would be a better fit for the team". gently caress that noise.

The other applicant is going to be great and I have nothing against her getting it, but it's such a massive kick in the teeth to be told you're perfect, but no. Especially the whole not a good fit thing, that makes me feel really awesome! They want to keep me in the team but don't want to reward me for my hard work. If I wasn't on a secondment I would stop doing all my extra work just to spite them, but there's still a chance I could be kicked back down to the call center and that's a fate worse then death.

Oh well, jokes on them, there's another position (same pay grade as the promotion) going in our other, much better team soon and I should have a great chance of getting that.

gently caress corporate. Rant over.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

EvilHawk posted:

I got passed up for a promotion today for no good reason. I was literally told in my feedback meeting that I aced the online tests, had a great interview, I do loads of work already that is basically the same as the new position, I get on well with everyone/other departments, and they know I would do a fantastic job. But they decided to go with the other applicant because "they would be a better fit for the team". gently caress that noise.

The other applicant is going to be great and I have nothing against her getting it, but it's such a massive kick in the teeth to be told you're perfect, but no. Especially the whole not a good fit thing, that makes me feel really awesome! They want to keep me in the team but don't want to reward me for my hard work. If I wasn't on a secondment I would stop doing all my extra work just to spite them, but there's still a chance I could be kicked back down to the call center and that's a fate worse then death.

Oh well, jokes on them, there's another position (same pay grade as the promotion) going in our other, much better team soon and I should have a great chance of getting that.

I know what that's like.

A year or so ago, my then boss decided that he wanted to head up a new department centered around InfoSec/Network security, and split some responsibility from the existing Network group into this, along with some new things. I was pretty excited when I heard this, so I put in an application for the job I was pretty much already doing. Since this was supposed to be an internal posting first, I thought I was a shoe-in. When the job was posted, it turned into an external posting because HR wanted more people.
Well, long story shorter, another person who applied had more certs (since they receive training) and has relevant training in the military and they got the job. There is also a certain amount of resistance in this company for moving around within it.
I don't hold it against the person who got the job, they are fantastic in it, and they a great person. But its a knife in the back to lose the fun parts of the job to be stuck with the dregs.
Pretty well killed any sort of enthusiasm I had at work, and has done wonders for killing any positive outlook I used to have.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

EvilHawk posted:

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to work with you; you seem such a delight.

You admit that the other candidate was terrific, so there was pretty good reason for them not to pick you other than that they're bastards. Don't be bitter and resentful just because you're disappointed; people can tell even if you think you're hiding it well.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Apparently its my job to do things that are not my job

Oh hell. That got me right in the heart.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

epenthesis posted:

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to work with you; you seem such a delight.

You admit that the other candidate was terrific, so there was pretty good reason for them not to pick you other than that they're bastards. Don't be bitter and resentful just because you're disappointed; people can tell even if you think you're hiding it well.

Cmon man this is the safe place to vent.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Cmon man this is the safe place to vent.

What's to vent about? They didn't pass him over for someone less worthy, they didn't promise him the job and then renege, and they treated him kindly when they broke the news. For that he wants to "stop doing all [his] extra work just to spite them."

I wouldn't be surprised if "better fit" in this case meant "We'd rather give the job to someone who doesn't quietly seethe with rage when something doesn't go his way." That rant is a pretty decent argument against promoting him.

e: I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, EvilHawk. I just don't think you realize that hiring decisions like these often turn on issues of personality and attitude, and fairly so. Your ability to stay positive and take minor setbacks in your stride can make all the difference.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 14, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

epenthesis posted:

What's to vent about? They didn't pass him over for someone less worthy, they didn't promise him the job and then renege, and they treated him kindly when they broke the news. For that he wants to "stop doing all [his] extra work just to spite them."

I wouldn't be surprised if "better fit" in this case meant "We'd rather give the job to someone who doesn't quietly seethe with rage when something doesn't go his way." That rant is a pretty decent argument against promoting him.

e: I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, EvilHawk. I just don't think you realize that hiring decisions like these often turn on issues of personality and attitude, and fairly so. Your ability to stay positive and take minor setbacks in your stride can make all the difference.

While your argument makes rational sense, it's perfectly ok to be frustrated when one gets passed over. EvilHawk's rant is normal in that situation.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

While your argument makes rational sense, it's perfectly ok to be frustrated when one gets passed over. EvilHawk's rant is normal in that situation.

It doesn't have to be, and I'd argue that it shouldn't be. Yeah, you can be upset and emotional at a time like this, and you want to let it out. But you need to be aware when your anger at specific people is misplaced and/or counterproductive. I was briefly pissed off at my bosses when I was passed over for a promotion a few years ago (in favor of multiple people, all with less seniority than me, and at a time when I was visibly busting my rear end--a big blow to the ego overall), but I recognized that they hadn't done it for nefarious reasons and they in fact did have my best interests at heart by not promoting me before they felt I was ready. I continued to focus on doing well at my present job, and the next promotion was mine.

We usually get the best results by doing what makes rational sense rather than what happens to feel good at the time. And what makes rational sense is for EvilHawk to not waste one more minute being angry at anyone for not having chosen to promote him (or her?)

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

epenthesis posted:

That's right. It's nobody's fault but Evilhawk's attitude which everyone can see sucks and we know this just by reading that post. Perhaps everyone here should learn that things happen for a reason and read a little book called "Who Moved My Cheese".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

epenthesis posted:

It doesn't have to be, and I'd argue that it shouldn't be. Yeah, you can be upset and emotional at a time like this, and you want to let it out. But you need to be aware when your anger at specific people is misplaced and/or counterproductive. I was briefly pissed off at my bosses when I was passed over for a promotion a few years ago (in favor of multiple people, all with less seniority than me, and at a time when I was visibly busting my rear end--a big blow to the ego overall), but I recognized that they hadn't done it for nefarious reasons and they in fact did have my best interests at heart by not promoting me before they felt I was ready. I continued to focus on doing well at my present job, and the next promotion was mine.

We usually get the best results by doing what makes rational sense rather than what happens to feel good at the time. And what makes rational sense is for EvilHawk to not waste one more minute being angry at anyone for not having chosen to promote him (or her?)

Middle management must loving love you.