Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Everyone knows about vampire bookkeepers, but has anyone tried a vampire pump operator?

"You, start pumping that volcano! What do you mean, 'for how long?' "

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Bad Munki posted:

Fall rolled around, the dwarven caravan showed up, and I got the message, "No outpost liaison? That's curious..." or something to that effect. What gives? Is there no mountainhome or something?

That usually means you're the last remnant of a dead civilisation, yes. Watch out for your pump operator suddenly becoming king and demanding 30 pimp rooms.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Danny Glands posted:

I really wish dwarves get their testicles back soon. I'm itching to start that .40.x LP and I don't think it'll be interesting to write about dwarves just seizing up at the sight of dead vermin.

If I'm not mistaken, the morale thing will be fixed with the next major update/rewrite, which is the Dwarf Thoughts and AI arc. So I suspect it may be a few years for that one.

I mean, Toady talks about this as if it's going to be a short little feature update, but I don't know if Toady knows how to do short little feature updates...

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the morale thing will be fixed with the next major update/rewrite, which is the Dwarf Thoughts and AI arc.

Sounds like pure rumor. I doubt it'll wait for the job priorities rewrite.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

At least military training boosts discipline. God knows how, though. I imagine the drill sergeant showing off a bunch of engravings of skulls and blood and all the fresh recruits are crying and covering their eyes.

gently caress I really want this coward dwarf LP.

"Had to stop planting seeds when I saw a dead rhino lizard. How fragile life is. Death is all around us. It is terrifying. "

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If I recall correctly, they at least don't give a poo poo about dead vermin (aside from the standard 'eww gross I don't like that type of creature' responses).

So anything smaller than a cavy probably won't be too traumatic.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah my dwarves haul vermin to the refuse pile fine, they only break down when they see the charred goblin remains on the other side of the pile.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Looks like Hermit Mode still has some work to be done on it. I embarked, and like the manual said, six of his buddies immediately evaporated. Unlike what they said, though, he immediately started throwing a tantrum and flipped out, refusing to do any work.

And it crashes a LOT during world gen.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 13, 2014

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Looks like Hermit Mode still has some work to be done on it. I embarked, and like the manual said, six of his buddies immediately evaporated. Unlike what they said, though, he immediately started throwing a tantrum and flipped out, refusing to do any work.

That happened to me also on the first try - last man standing went berserk. But the second attempt was successful and my hermit lasted a year.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

Fall rolled around, the dwarven caravan showed up, and I got the message, "No outpost liaison? That's curious..." or something to that effect. What gives? Is there no mountainhome or something?

Either your dwarf civ is wiped out, or I think your caravan can get attacked and liaison can get killed en route.

The latter happened to me, I got that message and checked Legends mode and my civ was trucking along just fine.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

And it crashes a LOT during world gen.

Yeah it says it is supposed to run a 'removebadthoughts all' after the other 6 disappear but I think it doesn't fire sometimes. Just run it manually in the DFhack console once to remove all those negative thoughts and you're fine.

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013
Hey, does a vampire seeing the corpses of the people he's drained count towards the "death doesn't phase him" (or w/e) trait? If not do they just piss their pants with fear every time they kill somebody, or ignore the body completely, or...?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I'd love to see an LP of this sprout soon. I think the dwarves being scared shitless of everything at first makes sense in any narrative really and makes the early defence of a fortress a lot more challenging.

Case in point: my werebeaver dwarf in a mood escaped while I was trying to channel him into a chamber, and got to and claimed the craft workshop beside the Depot while the dwarf caravan was there. I said gently caress it and just stationed my entire militia around the workshop while he screamed for a week about needing rocks, bones etc (nothing in my stockpile would do apparently). When he eventually turned he ate three merchants and two yakbulls before any of my militia got over their horror and chased him down in dwarf form.

But this is pretty realistic. If 16+ green recruits and one or two soldiers with a few dead monkeys or elves under their belt suddenly saw a friend who had just run out from a bricked up corner of the hospital ward turn into a beaver that can rip buildings apart eat the mountainhome caravan, they would probably piss themselves and be incapacitated from pure shock.

It's still possible to trivialise 90% of attacks with traps and bridges so I think the morale system is good even though it needs toning down over time.

Anyway,yeah. I'd love to see an LP go up, not least because I have the time right now to throw in for a succession! I'm just too chicken to write an OP, too many class acts to follow.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Hey, does a vampire seeing the corpses of the people he's drained count towards the "death doesn't phase him" (or w/e) trait? If not do they just piss their pants with fear every time they kill somebody, or ignore the body completely, or...?

The vampire example raws don't give the [NOFEAR] token so perhaps vampires will freak out after their first couple kills. They'd presumably harden up after a couple corpses. I don't know if they'd get any discipline from the dozens or hundreds they've probably drank in world gen before immigrating.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah the removebadthoughts went through on my second try. Managed to make it three years before a scripted invasion killed me but I have no idea what I'm doing because the documentation for Masterwork is absolutely terrible. When it actually does say something other than "this is a building that does things!" without explaining how or what those things are it's just utterly filled with self-contradicting information. Also going back to one-tile trees after the latest version means I have to embark on a super dense forest or never make anything out of wood ever again.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

dragon_pamcake posted:

You got lucky. My hostile dwarf ghost materialized in my dining room. I had to abandon and reclaim.

Oh look!

Toady One posted:

(Toady One) More sleep, more stuff!
  • Removed some vestigial code stopping wagons from moving properly after move/attack speed split
  • Fixed up quarry bush bag job vs. rock nuts
  • Fixed the defend burrow order
  • Allowed dwarves interested in marriage to start relationships properly (Quietust)
  • Allowed items made from gem materials (including large gems) to be stored in finished goods pile
  • Made invaders not come back as ghosts
  • Stopped non-historical dwarves from coming back as ghosts (put in fix for old saves that should lay them to rest soon after unpause)
  • Stopped ghosts from being considered in regular sight code
  • Fixed some manual typos (Gorobay)
  • Initialized strict pop cap to 220 if not present in d_init
  • Made alerts without names show properly as "Alert State #" in squad mode
  • Finished updating pineapple raws

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

quote:

finished updating pineapple raws

well loving finally, important stuff

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I resurrected this dude as a necromancer and settled at the site. When I unretired I found this.

This seems like kind of a big bug.

e: All of the things I had resurrected are now wandering around the world map. They attack me when I draw near. How do you report bugs or check which ones have been submitted? I can't be the only person who has seen necromancers torn apart by their own creations.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 14, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ghetto wormhole posted:

Uh, is there a way I can use the basic world generator and also change secrets to zero because I just looked at the advanced parameters and holy poo poo

Unfortunately, no. But it isn't as bad as it seems, most of the screens can be ignored. Like most things in DF it looks worse than it is.

Sane world walkthrough:
I'm using a medium region for this example, if you use a small or pocket world the defaults will be different on some numbers, no big deal. If you use a large world you are insane.

On the first screen the only thing you need to change is the end year. 100 is sufficient for everything to be established. 200 takes a bit longer to gen, and you get dwarfs who were mostly born rather than "the first of their kind" which means they have parents and siblings. I enjoy the challenge of a fort where dwarfs have relationships and deaths hit hard, but if you don't 100 will do.

Screens 2-4 are impenetrable. Any time I've attempted messing with them I just get infinite world rejections. Whatever is going on there is for people smarter than me.

The bottom of the fifth screen are a couple things. I don't like beach forts so I usually turn the required number of oceans to "None". You still get some, but it won't reject worlds for the lack of oceans. If you love volcanos you can also turn up the minimum number of volcanos, but if you make that number too huge you'll get a lot of rejections.

The sixth screen is paydirt.

Mineral Scarcity starts at 2500, take that down to 500-1000 and you won't have trouble finding lots of sites with multiple minerals.
Megabeast caves: more = more chance of dragons, rocs, hydras and bronze colossus. I have a dream of someday catching a breeding pair of dragons, so I usually increase this number.
Semi megabeast caves: more = more chance of minotaurs, giants, ettins, and cyclops. Meh.
Changing Titans, Demons, Vampire curse, Werebeast curse or Secrets (necromancer) types to "none" will eliminate those things from your world.
Regional interaction, Disturbance, Evil Cloud and (on the next screen) Evil Rain change the side effects of evil biome types. If you used to enjoy evil biomes but hate them now, these things are the culprit. So if you enjoy dealing with harpies and skeletal carp like it used to be, but you don't enjoy husk zombies or having your refuse pile come back to life, changing these to None will give you back the old style evil zones.

Seventh screen has Evil Rain and Generate Divine Materials. Evil rain is usually just blood or mild sickness, rarely a fort ending disaster. I like to turn off Divine Materials, because in fortress mode the only effect is idiots with preference for materials that can't possibly exist in your fort. Not a big deal either way.

Eighth screen = :techno:

Ninth screen has cavern stuff. Ignore it if you like the default caverns.

If you set Caverns Layer Number to 0 you will have no underground seed available, no underground farming possible, which could be an interesting challenge if you want a surface fort. If you don't like caverns much but want all the stuff in them, setting Cavern Layer Number to 2 will still generate every kind of tree found in all three layers, but in two layers. Set it to 1 and you won't get the full variety of trees, but you will still get all the seeds for underground farming. The number of caverns doesn't affect the depth of the magma, so there isn't much reason to mess with it.

Z Levels Above Ground defaults to 15. I change it to 3. This greatly reduces (but can't eliminate) the chance of a flock of birds from chilling in the sky out of crossbow range, preventing all hunting. Once I had a goblin siege with flying mounts where just a couple of them got scared and moved into the high sky, but wouldn't leave, trapping me in the SIEGE state with no merchants. gently caress that noise. High skies are only useful if you like to construct high towers, and what kind of dwarf does that? It also obviously affects the maximum height of trees, so if you set it too low (below 5?) you may be costing yourself a little wood.
Z Levels Above Layer 1 is the minimum amount of space you'll have to build/mine before you hit the first cavern. So if you like to live near the surface and don't like unexpectedly breaching the cavern, you can increase this.
Natural Caves are where kobolds live. No caves = no kobolds in the world. Meh.
Make Caves Visible and Allow Init Embark Options to Show Tunnels will let you see stuff in embark mode, to help you choose a site. Or turn them off and be surprised.

The last screen is gibberish, so that's it, the end.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I killed them again and resurrected them again, retired and unretired to confirm that they were truly dead this time. However, Legends shows this:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Angela Christine posted:

Unfortunately, no. But it isn't as bad as it seems, most of the screens can be ignored. Like most things in DF it looks worse than it is.
*advanced world gen stuff*

Thanks a ton for this! I figured most of it was ignorable but it would have still taken me forever to figure out what was and wasn't important.

Very much appreciated :)

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, my frozen volcano fortress with absolutely no water was recently besieged by three necromancers with dwarf undead. The necromancers pissed off pretty quickly, but the undead dwarfs encountered a Kobold Ambush, which ended how you might predictably think it would end.

Thankfully, all the undead dwarves got caught in cage traps that I hastily threw in the volcano. I really need to start working on a new lava defense so I can just flood the map with lava.

EDIT:Finally said gently caress it and discovered the Cavern. I'm going to use the water at the bottom to make sure nobody dies in the hospital.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

unless you absolutely need to reach the magma sea ASAP, make sure to set "levels above layer 4" higher for more minable adamantine.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dashticle posted:

I'd love to see an LP of this sprout soon. I think the dwarves being scared shitless of everything at first makes sense in any narrative really and makes the early defence of a fortress a lot more challenging.

Case in point: my werebeaver dwarf in a mood escaped while I was trying to channel him into a chamber, and got to and claimed the craft workshop beside the Depot while the dwarf caravan was there. I said gently caress it and just stationed my entire militia around the workshop while he screamed for a week about needing rocks, bones etc (nothing in my stockpile would do apparently). When he eventually turned he ate three merchants and two yakbulls before any of my militia got over their horror and chased him down in dwarf form.

But this is pretty realistic. If 16+ green recruits and one or two soldiers with a few dead monkeys or elves under their belt suddenly saw a friend who had just run out from a bricked up corner of the hospital ward turn into a beaver that can rip buildings apart eat the mountainhome caravan, they would probably piss themselves and be incapacitated from pure shock.

It's still possible to trivialise 90% of attacks with traps and bridges so I think the morale system is good even though it needs toning down over time.

Anyway,yeah. I'd love to see an LP go up, not least because I have the time right now to throw in for a succession! I'm just too chicken to write an OP, too many class acts to follow.

I like that idea that's come up about a LP where the world instead of a single fortress is passed around. One person could start a fortress and the next person could continue it, retire it and start a new one, play adventurer mode or whatever. It'd be showing off one the big new features of this version and if you gave each person a week to do whatever they wanted you probably wouldn't have the problem of people not being able to update because they'd know if they would have the time right then rather than playing an in game year in which it's real time length can greatly vary. It'd be the first of it's kind too so if you started it no one would have anything to compare it to!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Really looking forward to when .40 gets stable enough that DFHack can be made to work for it. I miss prospect and a few other tools.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
"Hykiv Wavelake the Tail of Suns was a sand titan [...] An enormous blob composed of water."

You think you found an oasis in the desert? Nope, motherfucking sand titan.

My new mission in this world is to track down Hykiv and just watch it to see if it will evaporate on its own.

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked
I haven't played the new version yet but I've been enjoying lurking this thread and reading all about the hilarious goings on and patch notes. Found this on Three Panel Soul and thought you guys would appreciate it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I sold 150k dwarf bucks of stuff to a the Caravan :whatup:.

Also, lead is actually a terrible thing to make bins out of. Dwarves take forever hauling it.

EDIT: I just realized after toasting my 12th or 13th dwarf that I really need to start asking for as much iron as possible from the caravans.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 14, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Maugrim posted:

Oh look!

quote:

Allowed items made from gem materials (including large gems) to be stored in finished goods pile

FUUUUCK DAAAAAMN SPURTIN

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

FUUUUCK DAAAAAMN SPURTIN

Exactly what kinds of things were being made out of gems? I thought they could only be used to encrust furniture and finished goods.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

ProfessorGroove posted:

I like that idea that's come up about a LP where the world instead of a single fortress is passed around. One person could start a fortress and the next person could continue it, retire it and start a new one, play adventurer mode or whatever. It'd be showing off one the big new features of this version and if you gave each person a week to do whatever they wanted you probably wouldn't have the problem of people not being able to update because they'd know if they would have the time right then rather than playing an in game year in which it's real time length can greatly vary. It'd be the first of it's kind too so if you started it no one would have anything to compare it to!

This is why I hope Toady puts out a quick stop-gap fix to the bug where conquerers always win, resulting in near certainty of a retired fort getting wiped out as time goes on. Maybe he could just hard code a percentage chance for the siegers to lose. But someone pointed out that might mess other stuff up if he doesn't have the code available to handle a loss by the conquerers.

Or, it could be a goal of this LP world for some people to occasionally make an adventurer and personally assassinate the troublesome conqueror.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

reading posted:

Exactly what kinds of things were being made out of gems? I thought they could only be used to encrust furniture and finished goods.

Large gems are the most common, but there's also a teeny tiny chance that a handful of rough gems turns into a random craft item. I've had ruby figurines worth a fortune.

This is just one of those ancient thorns under my heel, watching large gems roll around on the workshop floor since none of them could ever be stored away properly.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
My indoor farm will only grow plump helmets and dimple cups. I have plenty of rock nuts and cave wheat seeds, but I'm given no option to plant them in any season. I'm using v.40.02.

I've checked for obvious problems. The seed aren't forbidden, and they're easily accessible in a stockpile right next to the farm.

Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reading posted:

This is why I hope Toady puts out a quick stop-gap fix to the bug where conquerers always win, resulting in near certainty of a retired fort getting wiped out as time goes on. Maybe he could just hard code a percentage chance for the siegers to lose. But someone pointed out that might mess other stuff up if he doesn't have the code available to handle a loss by the conquerers.

Or, it could be a goal of this LP world for some people to occasionally make an adventurer and personally assassinate the troublesome conqueror.

The easy conquest goes both ways. Liaison told me that some place had fallen a year ago, and that the same place had be recovered 6 months ago. So as long as your civilization is sufficiently aggressive, they may take fallen sites back. Not sure what happened to the refugees though, did they go back home, or settle elsewhere? :iiam:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Last time i played the LazyNewb pack i had the option to use my mouse for various things, such as designating easy by clicking start and end points for rectangles, clicking dwarves to check them out and mousewheel scrolling Z-levels. Anyone remember how to turn that on? I can't find it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

My indoor farm will only grow plump helmets and dimple cups. I have plenty of rock nuts and cave wheat seeds, but I'm given no option to plant them in any season. I'm using v.40.02.

I've checked for obvious problems. The seed aren't forbidden, and they're easily accessible in a stockpile right next to the farm.

Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong.

I think that was fixed in 40.03? I know it was busted early on and only showed the current season no matter what you selected.

Also update jesus its up to 40.08 now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Last time i played the LazyNewb pack i had the option to use my mouse for various things, such as designating easy by clicking start and end points for rectangles, clicking dwarves to check them out and mousewheel scrolling Z-levels. Anyone remember how to turn that on? I can't find it.

DFHack.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just tried to run Masterwork on my lunch break and it shat the bed every time I booted up the GUI. So I looked up bug reports and found out I gotta update my .NET framework or something. Upon trying to install the latest version, I discovered that my lovely old work computer's version of Windows doesn't support it.

I guess I'll try it at home, once the kid goes to bed :smith:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So my civ's goblin queen just arrived at my fortress. I assume there still isn't any way to turn her into a proper unit with DFHack (once that works for 40.08 anyway)? Is being unable to assign her her rooms going to gently caress me over, or are foreign race 'units' also unable to throw tantrums?

Weirdest thing is that in addition to the goblin outpost liaison and a bunch of dwarven warriores, she also brought a random kobold child :confused: My civ has no kobold members and unlike the two goblins the child is listed among my livestock, do goblins keep kobolds as pets now, or what?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Drop her in the lava, get a new (local) queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Maybe she adopted the kid :unsmith:

Make sure everyone in the fort has a bedroom, then make an unassigned ~hella rad~ bedroom, leave it open to be claimed, and see if Queen Goblin claims it. If not, just make a phenomenal meeting hall and let her throw parties in it all day everyday. Adoptive Kobold Mom Goblin Queen is cool as hell, don't chuck her into magma unless she's ordering people hammered willy-nilly or something.